Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/31/14 12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Service Airbag" DIC Warning - New TSB  (Read 63485 times)
Castle_Rock_AV
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Awards
« on: 07/16/04 05:17 AM »

A "Service Airbag" warning popped up on the DIC on my 2003 Avalanche Z71 about 4 -5 months ago. It was intermittent - but would come on more and more often. I took it in for service about 1-1/2 months ago. The first time they replaced a bushing spring in the steering column. Thought they had fixed it - the Service Airbag warning popped up on the DIC when I got into it to drive it home from the dealer. They ordered a new airbag module and installed it 2 days later.

I took a 2800 mile trip to Kentucky - and the warning popped up - infrequently - throughout the trip. I took it in this Monday and they re-replaced the bushing spring. Got it back Tuesday with no warning Tuesday afternoon or yesterday. This morning the Service Airbag warning was back. I took it in and there was another 2003 Z71 parked on the side of the entrance. The service manager met me at my truck and said that he half expected me back. The other AV had the exact same problem. He also said that GM had just issues a TSB for the problem that involved a wiring harness behind the driver's side kick panel. They had to take it apart and verify the problem before they were permitted to order the part. They verified the problem and ordered the part.

Here is the kicker - The part is on national backorder.

They gave me a a rental and said that it could be 2 days or it could be 3 weeks. We will see. I will post the TSB number when I get my paperwork.

I know that some of you have had to have had this problem. If Colorado did not have the weakest Lemon Law that I have ever read - I would be starting that process. However - Colorado's Lemon Law only applies to cars that are under factory warranty OR under one year old - WHICHEVER IS SHORTER!!??!!

I took the rental car because they wanted me to sign a release (NOT!) - the wife talked them out of the Malibu Classic - at least I got a Trailblazer.

Hope the General gets this figured out.

More to follow........

Steve
Castle Rock AV
« Last Edit: 07/16/04 06:47 AM by Castle_Rock_AV » Logged

TRAITOR - Traded in my - Z71 - Dk Gray Metallic -  for a Toyota FJ - Still helping AV owners with their mods and problems.
Cat Dancer
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/16/04 05:34 AM »

This is an interesting twist! I didn't expect to see this coming at us.

A few weeks ago I was driving early in the morning, still dark. I'm not usually in the vehicle during dark hours this time of year, just too much day light when I'm driving.

Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to much more than what was on the road at that ugly hour and I noticed the lights on my rear view mirror were not lit up.

As I scanned the dash for other irregularities, they flickered a few times and finally stayed on. I can't say if this has been happening in the day time or not and I didn't see any DIC displays to go with it.

I'll be taking it in next week for some Service 4 Wheel Drive stuff and  mention this episode too.

Thanks for the heads up.  thumbs_up

2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!
avalanchecat

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 08/19/04 07:45 AM »

I,too, have an '03 1500 4x4 and have been experiencing the "Service Airbag" lite. Been in the shop for repairs five times since April. It came on before I had gone 500 miles into a trip to Alaska in May. Sensor had been replaced 12th of May. Great Falls, Mt. dealer worked on it for five hours to no avail. Drove up to Homer, Alaska when in frustration I called Chev Customer service to find out if the system would function and was told that probably not. I completed my trip under duress and took it back to my dealer. Two days later same thins happened Lite came on. Contacted Chevrolet about a buyback under the "Lemon Law" for which it qualifies and was informed by Mary Lowe-Murphy that no way were they going to buy it back and if they did so, would be charged $10,000 for milage plus return my $4750 rebate and all thre payments I had made to boot. Now is this a h-ll of a way to run a railroad? I asked about a 100,000 mile warranty extension and she laughed. I told her that I would be retaining an attorney. This sucks. I told her that her attitude was not for the customer, but all for her and none for me, also that Chevrolet was was anything but a reputable company as far as I was concerned. Can't even trade for an '04 as my dealer said truck is dangerous to some degree and won't be responsible for it due to airbag problems. The saga will continue............................Charlie
HBHOG

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/13/04 01:07 PM »

GM is buying mine back less $3500 for usage and $5000 in DIO.  6" lift, wheels, tires, grill and carbon fibre dash.
Paid $41,500 out the doot TTL and will get $33,750  back in cash.  Is this worth it?
1BadPig

Macho Kiddywagon

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07/20/05 07:46 AM »

Castle_Rock_AV, do you have the TSB number?  The light just came on for me with the DIC notification... it is intermittent.  The dealer said it didn't set the code so they cannot confirm.  I'll be paying close attention to this old thread.

2004 Avalanche 1500 Dark Blue Metallic - Gone
2005 SAAB 9³ Linear
2006 Chevrolet HHR 1LT SOM
Murman

My name is Buford, I am a Vizsla, I live in NORCAL

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07/20/05 08:03 AM »

I got the warning too... banghead banghead banghead banghead

This is gonna suc#...

Murman Cool

03 4X4-LPM-Charcoal Int-BOSE-G80-MODS:285/75/16 BFG AT/KOK&N-Magnaflow-TOC-SilverStar-H2 levers-2500 Gauges-XM via HU-Maglight-Fire Ext-V1-CSA Bowtie-Brushed Grille
1BadPig

Macho Kiddywagon

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/01/05 01:45 PM »

Got it fixed Friday... apparently there is a TSB to replace the "SIR" connector.

2004 Avalanche 1500 Dark Blue Metallic - Gone
2005 SAAB 9³ Linear
2006 Chevrolet HHR 1LT SOM
wags

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/06 05:55 AM »

I have joined the ranks of the "Service Airbag" people on my '03 Z71 Av.  The part that really sucks is I'm at 53,000 miles (no warranty).  Does anyone know how difficult and how much to fix per TSB.  Also, can someone post the TSB or TSB number?  Thanks for any information.   banghead

~Wags

2003 Victory Red Z71 Cladded
BigBlackAv
Charter Member

BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/06 06:10 AM »

me too...i've been in this boat for a long time....it has been to the dealer for this issue so that may help now that i'm not under warrentee anymore...the tsb# would be very helpful.
Thanks.

'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/06 06:12 AM »

I've been spared any of these odd issues, but it'd certainly be nice to have the TSB detail here for all to see and reference, just in case.

Heck, some of us might just undertake the fix "just in case" as well.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/06 07:27 AM »

I have a few issues to go with the Air Bag problem when I finally go in under extended warranty ($100 per visit, not problem).

I need my steering shaft replaced (klunks), my fuel gage (a TSB did replace the gage panel) is not responding correctly (IGN on, LOW FUEL LGT at times, 250+ miles on tank, gage shows 3/4 tank left), the remote for the locks has lost it's distance (both fobs, new batterys).

The sad part is that I THINK, the dealership will only be able to fix the steering problem correctly, all other issues will require multiple visits and STRESS...

Murman Cool!

03 4X4-LPM-Charcoal Int-BOSE-G80-MODS:285/75/16 BFG AT/KOK&N-Magnaflow-TOC-SilverStar-H2 levers-2500 Gauges-XM via HU-Maglight-Fire Ext-V1-CSA Bowtie-Brushed Grille
BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/06 08:06 AM »

when mine went in (back when it was under warrentee) that is what they told me too...but the problem came back!

wags

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/06 08:59 AM »

OK, this is what I have found.  Don't know what it means though?

Make: CHEVROLET
Model: AVALANCHE
Year: 2003
Type: TRUCK
Service Bulletin Number: 50941001
NHTSA Item Number: 10013456
Summary Description:   SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINT (SIR) LIGHT ON, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) B0026 AND/OR B004. TO INCLUDE 2003-2005 CHEVROLET/GMC FULL SIZE PICKUP AND UTILITY MODELS. *TT

Anybody want to shed some light.  Thanks.

~Wags

2003 Victory Red Z71 Cladded
Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01/05/06 09:09 AM »

While "SERVICE AIR BAG" was active, I showed ZERO fault codes with my DSP...

Murman Cool!

GM-Tech

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01/07/06 08:45 AM »

Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 (Inspect and/or Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Yellow 4-Way Connector C221) #05-09-41-001 - (Jan 19, 2005)

2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

2003-2005 GMC Full Size Pickup and Utility Models

Condition
Some customers may comment that the Service Air Bag Light is on.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is set.

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is improper connection/high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Diagnostic Information

DTC B0026-stage 1 or B0044-stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

•  The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds. 

•  The SDM detects that the voltage at steering wheel module high control is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds. 

•  For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

Correction
DO THIS
 Don't Do This

Test for proper connection/high resistance at connector C221.
 DO NOT replace SIR system components prior to testing for proper connection/high resistance in C221 for DTCs B0026 and/or B0044

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Important: The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 is NOT located at the base of the steering column. The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221 is located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Remove the drivers side door sill plate.
Remove the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Locate the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221.
Inspect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 for proper connection.
Disconnect and reconnect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 THREE times.
Clear the DTC and road test the vehicle.
   -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10. 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221. Continue with the next step. 

Replace the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, P/N's 15306186 and 15306363. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs (SI Document ID #325229).
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the repair is complete.
   -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with the next step. 

Install the driver's side hinge pillar panel.
Install the driver's side door sill plate.
Parts Information
Part Number
 Description
 Qty

Connector (4-way Female, w/Leads)

Connector (4-way Male, w/Leads)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
 Description
 Labor Time

N6624
 Wiring And/Or Connector - Occupant Safety - Repair Or Replace
 Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
   WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 01/07/06 09:33 AM »

WOW!...thanks GM-TECH...and welcome to the site!
Wave

enine

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 01/07/06 11:59 AM »

This is an interesting twist! I didn't expect to see this coming at us.

A few weeks ago I was driving early in the morning, still dark. I'm not usually in the vehicle during dark hours this time of year, just too much day light when I'm driving.

Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to much more than what was on the road at that ugly hour and I noticed the lights on my rear view mirror were not lit up.

As I scanned the dash for other irregularities, they flickered a few times and finally stayed on. I can't say if this has been happening in the day time or not and I didn't see any DIC displays to go with it.

I'll be taking it in next week for some Service 4 Wheel Drive stuff and  mention this episode too.

Thanks for the heads up.  thumbs_up

The lights kept going off on my mirror too and the fuse would low.  Turned out the wiring harness coming down the A pillar to the mbec was hanging low and rubbing.  I taped it up and re- fed it back up through the dash where it couldn't rub anything.
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 01/07/06 12:58 PM »

Interesting that it's the driver side connector since the passenger side has the same connector and if you pull the airbag/horn section from the steering wheel there's a yellow plug there too. 
The yellow plugs have an orange plastic retaining pin.

I wouldn't mess with it myself, I'd be afraid I'd set off the airbag. Disconnecting the battery should disable the airbags but you'd think GM would have to fix a saftey issue like this for free even if you have no warranty.

[Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: 01/08/06 05:44 AM »

Great stuff!

Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 (Inspect and/or Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Yellow 4-Way Connector C221) #05-09-41-001 - (Jan 19, 2005)

Condition

Cause
The most likely cause of a DTC B0026 and/or B0044 is improper connection/high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Diagnostic Information

DTC B0026-stage 1 or B0044-stage 2 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

•  The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds. 

•  The SDM detects that the voltage at steering wheel module high control is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds. 

•  For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

Correction
DO THIS
 Don't Do This

DO NOT replace SIR system components prior to testing for proper connection/high resistance in C221 for DTCs B0026 and/or B0044

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Important: The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 is NOT located at the base of the steering column. The IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221 is located behind the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Locate the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 4-way connector C221.
Inspect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 for proper connection.
Disconnect and reconnect the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221 THREE times.
   -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10. 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221. Continue with the next step. 

Replace the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221, P/N's 15306186 and 15306363. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs (SI Document ID #325229).
   -  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376). 

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with the next step. 

Parts Information
Part Number
 Description
 Qty

Warranty Information

Labor Operation
 Description
 Labor Time

N6624

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.
Is the service writer going to say, "Bring the vehicle in when the light is active, please." or has GM authorized repair/replacement of this w/o an actual occuring fault?  I do have several cell phone pictures with the light on.

Murman Cool!

BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 01/08/06 08:04 AM »

good point....for me it is only on for about 10 seconds

Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 01/08/06 09:58 AM »

good point....for me it is only on for about 10 seconds

It's supposed to come on for about 6 seconds and go off when you start the truck. That's the self diagnostic telling you the connections are good.

Just wanted to add that before someone confuses the intermitant on problem with normal function

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 01/08/06 10:02 AM »

no...it is supposed to blink 7 times when you start and that is it

Flint4x4

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 01/08/06 10:18 AM »

no...it is supposed to blink 7 times when you start and that is it

I don't really pay attention as long as it doesn't stay on, some cars it's on for 6 seconds.
I've had an AV 4 1/2 years so as long as it doesn't do something abnormal I don't think about it.
Now I'll probably watch it blink the next time I start my truck. LOL 
I think all vehicles with airbags have some type of self diagnostic at start.

BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 01/08/06 10:21 AM »

i hope so...and the only reason i know...is it was in the JPCustoms insturction to add steering wheel audio controls kit for my '02

Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: 01/08/06 10:22 AM »

I also get "SERVICE AIR BAG" on the DIC and a tone with the indicator light.

BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 01/08/06 11:02 AM »

I get the DIC message, but i don't remember a tone.

Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: 01/08/06 11:49 AM »

banghead

Maybe the tone is when my fuel gage does not respond/move fast enough on initial IGN on...

Murman Cool!

GM-Tech

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 01/11/06 05:47 AM »

Great stuff!
Is the service writer going to say, "Bring the vehicle in when the light is active, please." or has GM authorized repair/replacement of this w/o an actual occuring fault?  I do have several cell phone pictures with the light on.

Murman Cool!

I can't answer how your dealer will handle it, but if you brought it to us and this was the DTC that was set (it should be in history even with the light off), this procedure is what we would do.

GM doesn't want us making repairs on anything we cannot duplicate, but we can also use our best judgement.  In a case like this with a known issue, no one would complain if we went after that connector and it ended up that wasn't the problem.
Murman

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 01/11/06 03:40 PM »

I really need to get this fixed someday...

It might come in handy.

Murman Cool!

avdavidw
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

WWW Awards
« Reply #29 on: 01/13/06 05:27 PM »

Just got this message on the DIC with the tones.

Will add it to the list of things for the next service visit/oil change.

Happy to see it's nothing that needs immediate attention.

David

#1 2002 1500 LPM Z66 - #2 2005 1500 SOM Z71 - 2010 2SS Camaro - #3 2007 1500 SRM Z71
Strobin'01

relationships s**k

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 03/09/06 06:49 PM »

I had my service airbag warning come on twice.  The second time I took it in along with other problems, which were all fixed with a reset of the computer.  When I took it in for that problem, I also had a bad problem with if I would lock the doors using the passenger side switch, it would cause the driver side not to work.  I could not unlock the door from the driver's side.  Also, this has been a problem that has soon been cleared by resetting the computer.  I left a store one day, and was driving down the road, and you can basically tell how fast you are going without looking at the speedometer, when I knew I was around 35mph, I looked down, and the needle was at zero!  I had to pull over and restart the truck to fix the problem.  One time coming from a wedding, my brother-in-law, in a Ford F-350, Sad was in front, and I knew we were driving around 70 mph, but my speedo, was at 51mph.  After about an hour, it corrected itself.  On other occasions the needle would not have a fluid motion, it was like the second hand on a clock and kinda "ticked."  Like I said, resetting the computer seemed to help.  But with the speedo, comes some good news.  I keep the invoice from the dealership in my truck, and if I get stopped by a cop for speeding, which happened once so far, I whip out the paperwork, and claim I am having problems with the speedo. Cheesy  So far this has helped, I just got a warning for my lead foot! Cheesy

Why does my life go great for a while then spirals downward?
BigBlackAv
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 03/10/06 04:32 AM »

the speedo problem is a known issue in the '03's...they should be replacing the motor (i think) that drives the needle.  When mine was done it took 5 days for them to send it out for repair and they put me in a rental (Trailblazer) the whole time, plus, there was an '03 tahoe in at the same time for the same thing...I know, cause they put the tahoe cluster in my truck and it had 10k less miles than mine did (and no, i went back and had them swap it back out).

Snyd28

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 04/04/06 06:10 PM »

I had the Service Air Bag light come on about two weeks ago right before I sent my old cluster out with my new one for programming. Once I got the new cluster installed I took the Av in for the Service Airbag Light and for the common ehaust ping. Good news... common exhaust ping is completely gone so far. Bad news... they found a low voltage code in the computer, cleared it, and could not reproduce it. They said they unplugged and replugged a connector 4 times per some GM instructions and since the code did not come back, they said it was fine. My dad picked up the Av for me the next morning and the light was on solid now instead of intermittent like it had been. Still on for me later that day when I got in it.

I took it straight to the dealership and made them hook up a TECH2 with the warning light on... said they got the same low voltage code. My advisor said that she would order parts and call me. I asked if the airbag would deploy in an accident and she said it wouldn't be a problem. Luckily no accident and one week later the parts have come in. Work gets done on Friday. Hopefully the problem is solved after that....
Old.Ski.Bum
Charter Member

Avalanche - Always ready for a SKI Trip!

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 09/16/06 07:55 AM »

I've had the SERVICE BARF BAG, er.... I mean AIR BAG for a few weeks on solid. I guess I'm do to check it out since my drivers side window won't go down either. Some electronics!!!

2003 1500 Av Dark Gray Met.  Z71, Roof visor, Dual Maglite, Billet Fuel Filler Door, GM Window Visors, Amber DRLs, GM Mlded Mud Flaps, SilverStars 9005&6st, Corsa Exhaust Tips, Visor Decals, Moutain Decals, 885 Fogs,Snakeeyes Backup System, Billet Bowtie,CW Billet Grille,Sportwing, Vizualogic Headrests, Alpine DVD,Taylor 409 wires, NPK Iridium plugs
HeavyD

Vaya Boricua

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 06/19/07 11:03 AM »

Any updates on this issue.  banghead

Wrngler dual batt set up, 22" chrme sumr wheels, 16" Mickey Thompson wintr wheels, Upr ext clding, Kwood DNX 7100, Infinity dr spkers, 2 Hyphonic amps, JL mg, 9" Vizualgic headrst mntr w/ built in DVD player, 7" Vizualgic sun visr mnitr, rear view camera, multi colr undr car light, HID head lghts, Westin SS bull bar with PIAA drvng lghts, EB clasics ss grille, JBA headrs, Volnt CAI, FM super 40, paintd cadi eng covr, steel slde, chrmed a/c vnts, Autowood steering wheel, 3" PA bdy lift, Hotchkis sway bars,..
malibu80d

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 06/21/07 03:04 PM »

I just purchased a 2003 Z71 Avalanche w/62,000 mi. on monday.  I had it one night and since then it's been back at the dealership for the "Service Airbag" display and the airbag light.  I also noticed after getting it home monday night that none of the steering wheel controls worked.   This is frustrating, i buy a truck i've really been wanting for a long time and i can't even drive it yet!!!  If you guys have any ideas about why the service airbag light is on and the controls don't work, let me know.  I'm thinking these problems are related.  To top it off, the right rear brake was dragging and i just found out that the dealership had to replace the caliper banghead.  oh well, hopefully it will all be fixed by this weekend so i can show it off. 
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 06/22/07 02:45 AM »

welcome to the club malibu80d
hope they figure it out for you

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
malibu80d

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 06/25/07 07:31 AM »

Just an update on my situation.  the dealership said my truck needs a new "SIR coil".  they said that was what was causing the airbag malfunction and the steering wheel controls to not work.  they ordered the part and said it will be fixed in the morning.  i can't wait to get it back.  i've owned it for a week now and only had it the first night.  they also had to replace the right rear caliper because the brakes were dragging on that wheel. 
offroadfury

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 08/27/07 02:30 PM »

My 2003 Av NFE clicked on its "service airbag" DIC message a couple weeks ago.  Took it to dealer this am.  Dealer says $1875 for a new driver side airbag.  My Av has 85,000 miles on it. 

They also claimed there was a "short" in the rear view mirror that displays whether or not the passenger airbag is active or not, so that is part of the 1875, what portion I didn't get clarified. 

No way in hell I'm paying that to get rid of a service airbag light.  what the hell?? Help me!
Strobin'01

relationships s**k

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 08/27/07 02:36 PM »

My 2003 Av NFE clicked on its "service airbag" DIC message a couple weeks ago.  Took it to dealer this am.  Dealer says $1875 for a new driver side airbag.  My Av has 85,000 miles on it. 

They also claimed there was a "short" in the rear view mirror that displays whether or not the passenger airbag is active or not, so that is part of the 1875, what portion I didn't get clarified. 

No way in hell I'm paying that to get rid of a service airbag light.  what the hell?? Help me!

Mine came on a couple of times and when I took it to the dealer, they reset the computer and everything is fine.  No more trouble.

Why does my life go great for a while then spirals downward?
avhunter

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 08/27/07 03:33 PM »

Mine comes on from time to time, 2004 it started about 1 1/2 ago.  There is a connector behind the drive side kick panel that has a short, if it come on again try tapping with your foot on the side kick panel.  Mine turns off everytime.
IslandAvy

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 12/28/07 01:05 PM »

Air bag light as been coming on with no code being set.   Have 2005, Bermuda Blue without body cladding, all bells and whistles.   
Recieved Onstar email saying check air bag.   Next visit to dealer will fix that.   Since I now have the TSB #.  
Thank you all.  
delohay

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 02/25/08 02:00 PM »

Service Air bag light and warning has been coming in on my 2003 AV.  Haven't been to dealer yet, but now that I have a Service Bulletin # (50941001), you can bet we'll get some action. Thumbs up!
Iceman6075
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #43 on: 05/02/08 12:26 PM »

Dang I was thinking I was the only owner having problems with the service airbag light coming on. But it's got to be the deal with that wiring harness in the drivers side kick panel because when mine comes on I can tap that kick panel it goes off. Now I know. chevy

SouthernComfortDown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 www.cardomain.com/ID/Iceman6075
mickeyr

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 05/03/08 08:06 AM »

For the 6th time, I have the "Service Airbag" DIC warning. My module was replaced under 1 year ago, wires replaced, terminals replaced, etc. It always happens to the passengers side. I am getting to the point where dis-connection is an option. Mick Angry
Pj

Got Whelen?

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 05/03/08 03:29 PM »

Mine went one after getting an oil change at a dealer here in SoCal. I figured it might have been some water in a front connector as they washed the truck. I have seen it come on once during a very heavy downpour and located (at the time) a post here with the same problem/situation. Once it dried out, its been fine.

Fast forward to Friday, the light wasn't coming off and service was pretty much closed, with no techs until Monday morning (I am leaving for NY via Avalanche tomorrow morning). I stop by the dealer, see service is open, but the guys there only do oil changes on the weekend and apparently no one there is able to grab a scan tool to plug it into the truck. Not happy. They refer me to another dealer down the road.

Stop into there, they wany $90 for a diagonistic...and trying to get the other dealership to cover it. No go. Speak to the service manager for some time and telling him of my plight (going to be putting 3500 mi on the truck starting tomorrow morning). Out of kindness, he grabs one of his guys and reads the computer... D0044 left loop. I thank him (he and the tech won't get into troubleshooting as they don't want to be on the hook) and he mumbled something about the drivers kick panel.

So, now on the way back to the other dealer to yell at them (wouldn't cover the diag charge as they were sorta responsible for it), I kick the side panel at the stop light.

Light goes out, all is happy.

When I got back to the grandparents house I pulled the SIR fuse, and inspected the harness. Seemed ok, but I gave everything a half ass look over and all seems good now.

Saves me at least $90 diag and whatever parts they want to replace, if any. Works for me.

Now if I can find where the water/mositure is getting into the 4WD system to kick off that 4WD message I get when its wet outside, I'll be happy...
Denman

When all is said and done..more is said, then done

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 08/06/08 04:09 PM »

I am having issues with my 07 and the Service Airbag DIC warning, they have not been able to track it down yet and will probably need it a couple of days Sad

2007 Chevy Avalanche LT1 4X4, Sunroof, 4.10's, T-Rex Billet Grille, Silverstone Amber DRLS, Greystone Metallic Bug Deflector, Flowmaster 50, Molded Mud Deflectors, Directed Electronics Python 990 Security System, BDS 2 Billet Mirror inserts, Westin Sport Bumper guard.
HDMI

Awards
« Reply #47 on: 01/10/09 10:19 AM »

I have the same problem although mine has never been intermittent. I have a 2005 model and my light came on about 4 months ago. I called the dealership and they said the sensor may have come unplugged. I no longer have a waranty on my truck so I can't take it to the dealer. We have a mechanic at work that looked at it for me and when he plugs his diagnosis machine in to the panel it gives him no codes. (ok, bear with me for a min on the wording because I am a chick that doesn't know the lingo) Anyway, everyone on here wants Chevrolet to do a recall on this or at least fix it for free since it is such a huge problem. I was looking on forums all day yesterday and hundreds of people across the country have the same problem. If we all want something done about it everyone needs to file a complaint. If you go to this website http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a complaint they will see something needs to be done. The more complaints, the better it is for us all.
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 03/29/09 09:12 AM »

Good info in this thread..I hope un-plugging and plugging back in works for me  Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #49 on: 03/29/09 09:14 AM »

Any updates on this issue.  banghead

Dave, did you get yours fixed  Huh

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
willmann

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 08/07/09 10:29 AM »

My service airbag light started coming on over a year ago, intermittently then started staying on most of the time. I was taking my Avalanche 03 in for inspection recently and was worried they might fail it so I got on here to see what was known about the problem. I've also encountered numerous owners with the same problem. I use the parking brake daily and the hood release weekly, which is also located in the same area as the connector, not sure if this has anything to do with the part/connection problem but I suspect it might. However, after reading this form I went out and engaged the parking brake, with the ignition off and key out and gave the plastic panel three solid hits with my fist but not so hard as to cause any damage. I have not seen the light or the error message since, and the inspection went fine.
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 08/13/09 01:34 PM »

Mine has not come on for the last 5 months and now it wont go out. Unplugging the connector only keeps it out when I restart the truck. The next time I start it, its back on  Angry

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 08/18/09 11:52 AM »

I got the 2 plugs today. They give you crimp connectors  Roll Eyes I will probably solder and shrink wrap them.  Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 08/31/09 04:00 PM »

Changed the plugs today and airbag light still on  banghead

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
maverick1974
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #54 on: 08/31/09 04:26 PM »

I was on a trip someplace (not sure if it was when I went to Indiana or not) gave the panel a kick and it went away 5 seconds later.
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 09/13/09 12:30 PM »

I guess I have to break my 6+ year streak without going to the dealer  banghead

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
cadboy1

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 10/11/09 10:33 AM »

Found a place with the scan tool for SRS Airbags so I can avoid the stealership..Going Tuesday  love

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
lminor204

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 01/03/10 12:41 PM »

I have the same problem although mine has never been intermittent. I have a 2005 model and my light came on about 4 months ago. I called the dealership and they said the sensor may have come unplugged. I no longer have a waranty on my truck so I can't take it to the dealer. We have a mechanic at work that looked at it for me and when he plugs his diagnosis machine in to the panel it gives him no codes. (ok, bear with me for a min on the wording because I am a chick that doesn't know the lingo) Anyway, everyone on here wants Chevrolet to do a recall on this or at least fix it for free since it is such a huge problem. I was looking on forums all day yesterday and hundreds of people across the country have the same problem. If we all want something done about it everyone needs to file a complaint. If you go to this website http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a complaint they will see something needs to be done. The more complaints, the better it is for us all.

Go to the link and file a complaint, it takes about 2 min.

Chevrolet RULES and always has!
lminor204

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 02/04/10 10:03 PM »

Update, unplugging and re plugging the yellow plug fixed service light and mirror had to replace the fuse under the hood.  It’s been 5 days and still working well. Thumbs up! chevy

Chevrolet RULES and always has!
jsg35

I love my '05 Dark Blue Metallic Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 06/01/10 06:58 AM »

Are you unplugging and replugging the yellow connector under the driver seat or the one behind the drivers side kick panel?  Do you do this with the AV running or turned off.  What is the significance of unplugging and replugging 3 or 4 times as I have read on this post?  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

** Update **
My problem ended up being a front end sensor.  I called Chevy Customer Assistance 1-800-222-1020 and explained to them that I had bubblegum man and "service airbag" light on continuously on my '05 AV with less than 30,000 miles on it.  They told me I would have to have it diagnosed at the dealership ($105) and then call them back with the results.  The service guy told me I needed a front end sensor and it would be $291.67 + tax.  I called Chevy Customer Assistance back (while standing at the service desk in front of the service guy).  While I was talking to them, the service desk guy said that they would take care of it for me at no cost to me.  Some dealerships still do take care of their customers, this was quite refreshing.

I think it helped from reading all of the posts on here, I let everyone know that this was a known problem (over a hundred posts) and was very adamant that it should be fixed at no cost to me.
« Last Edit: 06/08/10 09:54 AM by jsg35 » Logged

There is no such thing as a long trip (when you're driving an AV)!
soccerprice

Awards
« Reply #60 on: 08/22/11 04:58 AM »

well for the most part to all that have the dic warning is that the clock spring in the steering has been the caulprit too many vehicls acording ti a release from chev in june of '09... the spring provides the electricity for the air bag t work and if the slightest varpayion of .002 oms .. the system sends a warning... air bag not working... i've gone thru this chev and they blame the air bag yet other have discovered including chev that the problem is in the clock spring .... copper on the spring wears down .... chev wannts to charge for a new air bag for they have to remove it to get to clock spring .....i have gone thru this during my warrentyu period and after ... the statement that chev will take care of problem even after warranty period for same problem is bull ... hell the air bag not working has been told it was my fault... because i drove the vehicle too long... the vehicle is an 06 and the problem has occured  and worked on since 07.....
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #61 on: 03/05/12 03:25 PM »

Mine has been on for a week.

I pulled the leather back on each seat and wiggled the wires that go to the seat belt harness connector.
I moved both seats forward all the way, removed the plastic cover off the big harness with the yellow connector...wiggled those wires and pushed the connectors together (they felt OK anyway)
I located the yellow connector near the driver kick panel and wiggled it and push it together (it felt OK).
Drove truck twice and no "Service Air Bag System" on the DIC.

I have a 2003 Z66. 140K mi.
I thought this had been a good truck, and thought I haven't done much to it, but then I started thinking today:
Overall...still pretty happy with it. I have done all repairs myself. None have cost much in the grand scheme of things.

Addressed steering pop issue (steering column issue)
Addressed body pop issue (body mount spacer)
New gauge cluster (gauges were wrong)
New intake gasket (pcm code lean in Bank 1)
New carrier bearing in rear diff (rear end was howling, metal fatigue on passenger side bearing, diff full of metal)
New extreme duty fan clutch (A/C blowing hot at idle on hot Louisiana days)
Service Air Bag light on DIC (not sure of solution yet)
Truck spins for 2-3 secs before starting after it sits a while...assuming low fuel pressure, I changed fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump relay (issue still exists...next is fuel filter (did that 10K mi ago), and buy a fuel pressure gauge) (not sure of solution yet)

'05 2500 LT - 4x4, 4.10 gears, midnight blue w/ tan leather. Mods - roof rack, factory nav, front tint, vent visors, plugs, thermostat.
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #62 on: 03/08/12 07:14 AM »

I did the "kick-the-kick-panel" trick yesterday about 3 times on my way home from work and sometimes after 1-5 kicks, the Service Air Bag System light went off temporarily. Could be coincidental, so I went ahead and pulled straight up on that driver door sill plastic, and pulled out on the kick panel to remove it, and there was the big yellow harness connector. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in 3 times. So far the light hasn't come back on for 2 trips which is the most it hasn't come on in 2 weeks, so that might have done the trick.

I didn't see any physical damage to the harness or connectors. Not sure what the unplug/plug in 3 times does for you - maybe it cleans off residue on the connectors? (I didn't see any residue, but whatever).

'05 2500 LT - 4x4, 4.10 gears, midnight blue w/ tan leather. Mods - roof rack, factory nav, front tint, vent visors, plugs, thermostat.
gatorray

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 03/08/12 09:37 AM »

Hmmmm...the kick works for me too, but what concerns me is that my horn doesn't work when pushing on the center of the steering wheel, but it works fine when locking the truck.

Does your horn work?  I ask because I didn't use it that much and don't know if it stopped working at around the same time as the airbag problem.  I will probably end up replacing the clockspring but I am putting it off since it is a 300 or 400 dollar part (I have steering wheel controls).

2003 Z71 Dark Green Metallic born Jan 2003 - Loaded with lots o' extras.
Mods:  Weathertech shades and hood protector, Full Time Amber DRLs, Tint, billet grill and fuel door, StreetGraphics Z71 decals, .'s 4 fenders, white face applique, Flowmaster 50 dual exhaust, and KMC Ace 20"s
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 03/08/12 03:36 PM »

I'll check this evening.

By the way...my Air Bag light came back on. I footed around on the big yellow connector and it didn't go out.

I wish I knew what goes wrong with this section of the harness...is it the connector? Is it the wire?

FYI...I did discover yesterday that you wont get any readings from a OBD scanner if the cig fuse is blown under the hood.

brianelton

Awards
« Reply #65 on: 03/17/12 07:55 PM »

I definitely have a bad clock spring. I tested by disconnecting the air bag harness under the driver dash (not the one by kick panel) when you do that there is a grounding clip that cause each pair of the connectors to ground to each other - creating a loop.

Next, I took the air bag off. Super easy to do.

Next I put a multimeter on each of the air bag pins - I had continuity on the first pair while turning the wheel from far right to left. Next, I tested the other pair - I had continuity until I started to turn right of center and it would lose continuity every time! This is what caused my service air bag light and the 044 code. I bent the connector back and forth hoping it was just a short in the connector but it wasn't. It must be shorted out in the clock spring ribbon cable. I finally found one from some junk yard up north, but there is a junk yard called "just chevy trucks" that told me they have lots of them with radio controls - I think he wanted like $125-$150???

brianelton

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 03/26/12 09:29 AM »

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66 Clockspring Clock Spring with Steering Wheel Controls Repair Replacement Installation Howto Procedure
Part number 26088118 is same as 26101829

I replaced the clockspring last week. Not a task for the impatient or the amateur DIY-er. If you don't have steering wheel controls, it's probably a lot simpler task, but with the steering wheel controls, there is a multitude of connectors that have to come out. There are two connectors that are difficult - the one by the steering column near brake pedal - requires swinging open a large locking arm - which is obstructed by the steering column and requires a bit of man-handling. The very last connector I got to was the most difficult - its on top of the ignition cylinder. There are two metal bars that cover it from the ignition cylinder and the switch also has a button that goes down into the cylinder - it looks land-locked and impossible to remove without breaking something - after studying it for a while, I finally figured it out - use your smallest flat head screwdriver, place it between the 2 metal tabs on the cylinder, and catch it on the plastic lever of the switch and push it toward the passenger seat, while pushed in, rotate the switch clockwise and tilt it out.

Do not try to remove the cables from under the dash. I tried, you cant do it.
Disable airbag, remove airbag, disconnect steering wheel control harness from steering wheel, remove steering wheel, remove steering column trim (snaps together, be patient, use only your hands), remove the adjustable steering column key by pulling straight out on it with force, remove the gauge bezel (put in 1st gear to get shifter out of way), then the knee bolster trim, then the steel knee bolster. Some of the connectors are hard to get to, but you can do it - one is on the brake pedal lever I think - you gotta pull out a green locking tab, then disconnect it. Oh, there is also a large connector right under the steering wheel - it has yellow paint on it - the only way to get it disconnected is to break the locking clip with the yellow paint on it - use a small screwdriver and brake the tab with the yellow paint on it - I ty-rapped the new one.

I bought a used clock spring from Terryville Auto for $90 to the door. It was properly removed from the donor vehicle, and was properly centered, and locked in place with wire. http://www.terryvilleauto.com/

gatorray

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 03/27/12 06:23 PM »

Wow...thank you for the detail.  I'm not sure if I really want to try to tackle that job, but I will use the headsup on the junk yard that has the clock spring with steering controls.  I'll pay my mechanic to install it just in case.

On another weird note...I replaced my head unit and rear camera a couple of weeks ago and have not had the airbag warning light come on at all.  I usually get it every time I drive.  I think I still need the clock spring since the horn only works when locking the truck.   I have tried to turn the wheel left/right while hitting the horn to see if that helps, but it doesn't. 

Mods:  Weathertech shades and hood protector, Full Time Amber DRLs, Tint, billet grill and fuel door, StreetGraphics Z71 decals, .'s 4 fenders, white face applique, Flowmaster 50 dual exhaust, and KMC Ace 20"s
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #68 on: 04/04/12 01:13 PM »

I guarantee you that your horn doesn't work b/c it has lost the grounding connection at the steering wheel. You can determine this as the cause in less than 2 minutes - I promise.

Disable the air bag system - Remove the SIR fuse from the fuse block under the hood (or disconnect battery). Wait 15 minutes.
Look behind your steering wheel, on each side is a small hole. Get the largest allen wrench that will fit in the hole - or philips screwdriver. Push it in the hole, and pull on that side of the air bag, and then do the same on the other side. This will remove the air bag. (its held in by a plastic tab on each side, and you are just releasing the tabs.)
You will see 2 red wires. That's the ground for the horn. My guess is that the white connector is sticking up out of the hole. It has two crappy tabs on it that is supposed to hold it down in the hole. It probably popped out or the tabs broke. Push it down in the hole, then press down on the horn contacts (two metal bars - - 1 on each side. It will make sense once you see it.) - this will make the horn blow. 

Refer to picture below. The white housing goes into that hole inside the clock spring.

gatorray

Awards
« Reply #69 on: 04/04/12 01:33 PM »

Okay...I will attempt that this weekend.  I really appreciate the detail and pics for this.  I am sure this will help others as well.

I will report on my results.

gatorray

Awards
« Reply #70 on: 04/07/12 09:29 AM »

BINGO!!!  Your guarantee was spot on, brianelton.  You are da man.

I noticed that one of the clips on the side of that white ground connector was broken, so when I shoved it back in the hole and gave it a 1/4 twist, it locked into place.  Put the airbag back on and hooked up the battery and I have horn!

Thank you for the help!

Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #71 on: 04/11/12 07:04 PM »

My airbag light just came one the other day, after returning from a trip to FL...  Any idea if GM will cover this under a TSB at no cost to me?  I have 78000 miles on my 05.  Warranty ran out already, hoping to not have to pay the stealership on this one....

Click the pic to listen to along!
ltklein

Manly, Yes!...And she likes it too!

Awards
« Reply #72 on: 04/13/12 07:09 AM »

Something to try is to shift around in your seat.  I had an '05 that would turn on the service airbag light if I sat a certain way.  Specifically, after driving an Astro Van for 10 years, due to the wheel well, I drive with my left foot pulled back against the seat.  That takes a bit of pressure of my left thigh and the light comes on occasionally.  You might face the same thing if you sit with your seat a bit more forward than most.

Putting my foot out in front of me made it go out again in a few seconds.  Don't know if that would throw other codes or not, but if the TSB work doesn't fix it...or before you spend time and $$ on DIY, you might also look into the seat sensor.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous....
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #73 on: 04/13/12 12:39 PM »

So it's not necessarily the airbag in the steering wheel that's causing the problem...  could be the one in the seat?

If so, that makes sense...  I've been having the "heated seat" problem since I got the AV, and the dealer can't figure out what the problem is on that, as it only happens to the driver's seat, and only after a rainstorm (when it's still humid out).

dudunphy

Awards
« Reply #74 on: 07/31/12 03:24 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you very much to GM Tech! This was the exact issue with my 03 Av. I pulled the connector out and put some battery terminal gel in each female, started her up and no more service airbag code since!

Condition

Cause

Diagnostic Information

•  The SDM detects the steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.  

•  The SDM detects that the voltage at steering wheel module high control is less than 2.4 volts and steering wheel module deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds.  

•  For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376).  

Correction
DO THIS
 Don't Do This

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10.  

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint steering wheel module connector C221. Continue with the next step.  

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO reset, refer to DTC B0022, B0024, B0026, B0042, B0043, or B0044 (SI Document ID #847376).  

-  If DTCs B0026 and/or B0044 DO NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with the next step.  

Parts Information
Part Number
 Description
 Qty

Warranty Information

Labor Operation
 Description
 Labor Time

N6624

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

« Last Edit: 07/31/12 03:26 PM by dudunphy » Logged
Jeremyc

Awards
« Reply #75 on: 09/05/12 07:14 AM »

I have an 06 av doing the same thing gonna try some of these and hopefully they work ty guys

2006 camo edition avalanche Smiley
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 09/05/12 07:42 AM »

Save yourself some time and headache and get a dealer with a Tech II to read the Airbag code. There might be other scanners that can read Airbag codes, but I couldnt read it with my laptop obd-ii software.

dartmouthrocks

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 01/18/13 12:40 AM »

Hi--
Would appreciate is the wiring issue has also been identified in 2002 avs (Z-71, 1500).  Just turned 130,000 with the gift of the airbag light staying on at the top of the instrument panel.  Nothing under the seats (read that jamming stuff there may impact the system).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.  I need to see if checkers/o'riellys or advanced auto has a reader for this.  Does the omd ii reader work for the airbag codes?

(I had the pleasure of getting some good advice a few years ago leading us to drop the fuel tank in our garage to install a new fuel pump.  Also just replaced the water pump and belts that I would choose to do any day of the week over the pump.)

Been a dependable vehicle though.

thx for any help.

Mike

Boulder, Colorado
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #78 on: 01/18/13 08:12 AM »

You must go to a dealer with a Tech II scanner. A regular ole mechanic may have one, but very doubtful. The Tech II is expensive, and typically only dealers have them, and the cheap obd scanners at auto parts places will not read the airbag codes - only engine codes. Trust me.

Tpicks55
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

2013 Black Diamond Topaz Blue LTZ

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 01/18/13 09:20 AM »

My 07 air bag light comes on when it is cold out.  It has been intermittent.  Guess I should take it to the dealer huh?

2007 White LTZ bought with 40000 sold with 140000.
2013 Blue Topaz LTZ  I'm loving it!
avexpress

Absolutely the Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 01/20/13 07:26 PM »

After receiving the Service Air Bag message, i went right to this post and found great info.  I thought I would share me process in resolving my issue.   Since my OBDII scanner would not show a code, I went step by step.  Did the disconnect/reconnect 3 times of the connector behind the kick panel.  No luck.  Did the same thing with the connector under the driver seat.  Still no luck.  Took off the rock shield under the bumper and removed both sensors.  The RF sensor had split open from internal corrosion.  The other sensor looked just fine.   Found the part at rockauto for $54   
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2003 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 1500 5.3L V8 
DORMAN 590202 (590-202) Impact Sensor $ 54.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 54.79
Discount   $ -2.74
Shipping First Class Mail $ 2.19
Order Total   $ 54.24
Was hoping to post a picture of the corroded sensor, but apparently i don't have enough posts to qualify for doing that. 
As info, i did not disconnect the battery, but did remove the SIR 15a fuse from under the hood, before each procedure.

Thanks to you all, i am good to go again!
Av now has 148K on  it and hoping to get the '13 before they're gone.
soversen

Awards
« Reply #81 on: 03/03/13 02:43 PM »

I had the "Service Air Bag" light on my 04 Avalnche back in 2007 or so. Took it to the dealer, and the Service Advisor did the unplug/plug trick on the plug behind the panel on the hinge pillar. I was in and out of there in about 5 minutes. That fixed the problem for a long time. Last year it started coming in inermittently again. Just by accident I noticed that if I tapped that hinge pillar panel It would clear the message and the light. This first happened by accident, then I did it again every time the light came on for about two weeks, and it cleared it every time. I pulled the panel, and reseated the plug. Nothing changed, and it continued to behave the same way (resetting the fault when I kicked the panel) until about 3 or 4 months ago. Now it just stays on all the time. This is an 04, and I only have 70000 miles on it, so I want to get it fixed, I am just afraid of getting soaked by the dealer.

I am a litttle confused about something.

The TSB states
"Remove the drivers side door sill plate.
Clear the DTC and road test the vehicle."

The plug there on mine is Gray with a blue ratainer, am I looking at the wrong plug?
soversen

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 03/03/13 07:32 PM »

After receiving the Service Air Bag message, i went right to this post and found great info.  I thought I would share me process in resolving my issue.   Since my OBDII scanner would not show a code, I went step by step.  Did the disconnect/reconnect 3 times of the connector behind the kick panel.  No luck.  Did the same thing with the connector under the driver seat.  Still no luck.  Took off the rock shield under the bumper and removed both sensors.  The RF sensor had split open from internal corrosion.  The other sensor looked just fine.   Found the part at rockauto for $54   
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2003 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 1500 5.3L V8 
DORMAN 590202 (590-202) Impact Sensor $ 54.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 54.79
Discount   $ -2.74
Shipping First Class Mail $ 2.19
Order Total   $ 54.24
Was hoping to post a picture of the corroded sensor, but apparently i don't have enough posts to qualify for doing that. 
As info, i did not disconnect the battery, but did remove the SIR 15a fuse from under the hood, before each procedure.

Thanks to you all, i am good to go again!
Av now has 148K on  it and hoping to get the '13 before they're gone.

Avexpress,

I saw your post, and I have taken most of the steps you did, but I am having trouble locating the impact sensors. got underneath the truck today, and I think I located them but I am not sure. Are they located just behind the radiator, on top of the core support, inboard of the frame? I see two sensors there, but I am not sure if these are the correct sensors. (Though I don't know what else they could be). It would be great if you could email with any info or pics. soversen@comcast.net

Thanks,

Sean
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 03/03/13 08:05 PM »

Yes, those are the sensors.   I made the mistake of having the dealer replace them, at a cost of nearly $500 parts & labor....

gordocastillo

Awards
« Reply #84 on: 04/18/13 08:59 PM »

Hi, I have a 04 and have the service air bag on and off. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left the message goes off, as soon as I give 1/4 turn the ligth goes on and the volumen control on the wheel wont work, then I turn the wheel left again and the message goes of and the volumen control works fine.
Any idea?

Thanks
brianelton

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 04/30/13 09:35 PM »

Hi, I have a 04 and have the service air bag on and off. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left the message goes off, as soon as I give 1/4 turn the ligth goes on and the volumen control on the wheel wont work, then I turn the wheel left again and the message goes of and the volumen control works fine.
Any idea?

Thanks

Yeah dude, you definitely have a broken wire inside your ribbon which is part of your clockspring. You will need to follow my guide above. Have fun with that!

brianelton

Awards
« Reply #86 on: 05/07/13 07:51 PM »

CLICK HERE for the best clockspring with steering wheel controls tutorial.

gordocastillo

Awards
« Reply #87 on: 06/25/13 11:10 AM »

Tankyou very much, I will order it. That spring olso control the steering buttons? Because those wont wok either.
darkfader

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 11/27/13 02:51 PM »

Help me! lots of good info here.  i have the service airbag message and red bubble gum guy.  also my passenger airbag light shows "off" whether i sit in the passenger seat or not. also no red seatbelt light on the passenger airbag display when i sit in the seat, so i figure my problem is somewhere in this zone.  can someone tell me what the sensor for the passenger seat looks like and where exactly it is located?  i don't see any yellow connectors under there.  i have a ton of wiring under there and can't figure out what is what.  warning messages drive me nuts. banghead banghead  thanks for any help!

also is there a PDF anywhere online with the full factory service manual for the 07 LTZ?  thanks.

edit: i'm thinking it has something to do with the passenger presence system.

any help is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: 11/27/13 03:41 PM by darkfader » Logged

2007 LTZ
Louiebaker24

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 02/06/14 08:54 AM »

I have been having the problem for a while now. At first i thought it was something in my driver seat. if anyone moved or adjusted the seat the light would come on for days. I started reading, and poking around in the AV and came to notice, that any movement around the kick panel would make the airbag light come on or go off. My quick fix for a few weeks was to just tap the kick panel with my foot till the light would go out.

Once we got a warm day here in Virginia, I popped out the kick panel and started my own assessment of the real problem. Not being totally sure what all plugs where involved with the airbag. I unplugged both, and cleaned the connections with a scribe, and some alcohol swabs. I then took a small flat head screw driver, and wedged it behind every terminal, twisted just enough to bend each on a little as to put more pressure on each connection. I then connected everything back, popped the kick panel back in and took a drive. Started tapping, and slowly progressed to a few good hard kicks. Haven't seen the light or anything about the airbag on the odometer screen in weeks.     
gatorray

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 02/06/14 09:43 AM »

Interesting note about using the screwdriver...my solution of using some electrical contact grease and re-seating the plug has worked but recently I got the airbag light on again after many months of not seeing it at all.  I did the above again, but I will add the screwdriver to the fix if it comes on again.  Thanks for the heads up.

Chuckez

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 06/26/14 02:30 PM »

I have a 2003 Avalanche Z71.  I had the "Service Airbag Light" issue last year and did the kick panel routine and finally took it to the local mechanic who replaced a passenger side airbag sensor.  The issue went away.  Now the issue is on intermittently.  Sometimes the radio has no sound but there is a steady heartbeat sound coming thru the speakers, even with the radio off.  I also noticed that the chimes do not sound when the door lock switch is activated exiting the vehicle.
My daughter slammed the passenger side door (Women), now the air bag light is on constantly, but there is no heartbeat sound.
Any insight is greatly appreciated. 
krazycarguy

Chevy Technician

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 06/26/14 02:40 PM »

May be broken wires in the door jam. Wires can only move and twist like that for so long.

2008 Avy LTZ, Olympic White, N-fabs light bar with KC Apollos, K&N intake, LED sail panel bolts, LED bed lighting, LED interior lights, LED puddle lights, LED reverse lights, LED licence plate lights, Gen III LED amber emergency strobes, full time DRLs and Fogs, 2" lift, Powder coated OE 20" rims wrapped in toyo open countrys.
Redskins Fan

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 07/01/14 07:21 AM »

Well, add my 05 Av to the ranks of this problem.  I have not started to investigate it yet....but a few months back the service airbag message and indicator came on, and they are solid everytime I start the truck vice intermittent as others have observed. 

I will look for these connectors this weekend....also maybe the sensors up under the engine? 

So I take it that Chevy is not on the hook for a potential safety issue, and one that may have been identified by a TSB? 

brianelton

Awards
« Reply #94 on: 07/01/14 09:21 AM »

Before you waste your time, take it to a dealer or someone with a tech-II or someone who can read the air bag codes. Come back with the code and then troubleshoot from there.

glez_leonardo

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 07/24/14 06:56 AM »

I just got an 04 with the same problem "air bag light on", I did search on internet and I found something about the wires on botton of the driver seat, so I did check the wires and found a yellow and green broken. Just fix the connection and the light is gone...  Cheesy. So take a look under the seat and maybe will be an easy fix Cool!
AirJunky

Live hard, die young, leave a good lookin corpse!

WWW Awards
« Reply #96 on: 07/29/14 03:20 PM »

Just had this message come on on my 05. Obviously there is no warranty left. I stopped by the local GM dealer & asked them about the Tech II analyzer & air bag codes. They said it would be a minimum of $100 just to get me the codes. Since I am out of work at the moment, and have more time than money on my hands, I guess I'll be looking for a broken connector or sensor. Anyone ever see a list of all of them anywhere?

-
Bill
2005 Avalanche, 4x4, Z-71 1500. 5.3 liter, 4.10 rear.
Mods: Heated cloth seats, Motorola RAZR Maxx HD installed in dash, SoundStorm subwoofer, MB Quart speakers, tinted front windows, removed Z71 decals, All4On, Amber DRLs, CAI, Maglite, Indoor/outdoor carpeted the bed & midgate.
My Gallery
Troublemaker

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #97 on: 07/29/14 03:36 PM »

When my 05 sensors went, it was the two front ones - just behind the  "guard" thing at the bottom front of the AV.  It's not the two things you can see right behind the grill.  They were about $160 each (dealer price), plus the labor (I realize I could have done it myself, but by then it was too late.)  Cost me about $500 total (mine was also out of warranty).

And now my '11 Impala is doing the same thing, but I can't find any codes in the PCM/BCM.  I think I still have some extended warranty left on the Impala though.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: