Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their AV  (Read 73818 times)

james21

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • What Do You Do With Your AV
Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their AV
« on: 08/04/04 01:52 PM »

I want to see how many members have had or continue to have problems with the Avalanche that just persist. I for one have had problems pretty much since I picked it up fro the dealer. I had both side mirrors replaced 1 month after I bought my AV because the heaters were broken. Then I had to have my sunroof replaced 3 months later, which ended up taking 3 service visits, first to determine the problem, next to replace it, and lastly to fix the leak in the headliner the same day that it was replaced. Next I had a knocking/vibrating noise in the front passenger side engine compartment. It took 6 service visits just to determine that it was the A/C hoses, after they ended up replacing or moving just about everything else on the truck. This is when I should have brought the lemon law against the dealer, but didn't because I liked my AV too much and didn't want to have to wait for my dealer to find another one exactly the same. However I continued to have problems; I have replaced 4 rotors/8 pads in the rear and 2 rotors/4 pads in the front. I had to replace both sides of the DRL/Fog lamp housing once(each) due to them foging up on the inside, an dhad to replace the bulbs each time because the dealer replaced them with their stock bulbs. Had to replace the rear window, because of the plastic strip around it being split. I replaced stock bumper with SOR bumper last November due to snow plow incident. Now have to replace 2 PCMs and Idler/Pitman arms. So I think that my replacement parts list is starting to catch up to my mods list in terms of price.

So please post up, I am interested to see who has had what problems, and I am sure that some one has had either the same or similar problems and some member has got to have had more then myself.

-James.
Avalanche 1500 BLK NFE w/ 4.56, locking Diff & 18inch wheels. MODS: Amber DRLs; Sunroof, Confer Rack; Volant Intake; MSD; NGK Iridiums; Magnaflow SS; PIAA low beams; HID Highs; Mercury Xenon 885 fogs; SOR front, WAAG rear; SS Bug Shield; Predator Dash & Grille lights, Whelen Strobes & TIR3s.
Newest Mod: 2nd Black Stealth Bumper; PC Xterrain; RCD 6", Rigid LED Bars front & rear; Dual Shocks.

Next Mods: LA Patented AV Snorkel
Never-to-Be Mods: Duramax/Allison; SOR Rear.

She's All Modded out.

1BadPig

• Macho Kiddywagon
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/04 01:55 PM »

This is one contest I won't mind losing!  ;D
2004 Avalanche 1500 Dark Blue Metallic - Gone
2005 SAAB 9 Linear
2006 Chevrolet HHR 1LT SOM

Chevalanche

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Louisiana Chapter Mascot
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/04 02:01 PM »

I'm not even going to enter! ;)
2005 Dark Blue Mettalic LS. 20" GM wheels, sunroof, assist steps, vent visors, bug sheild, trailer hitch,lights in both storage compartments,underhood light, with  no stabilitrak and with  homelink transmitter.

Chevy Kid

• An avalanche...not bad for a 16 year old
    • My Truck
« Reply #3 on: 08/04/04 02:09 PM »

I've had to take my truck into the dealer to fix my driver side window that leaked, fix the ignition, fix the wind deflector on the sunroof because it wouldn't come up, fix the thing you pull back on the sunroof because it ripped, replace the tailgate cabels, and then fix the driver side window that still leaks!!
« Last Edit: 08/04/04 02:37 PM by Chevy Kid »
Mine- 2002 cladded green z71 1500, tan leather, every option, flowmasters, 15% all around llumar tint, avalanche bug deflector, westin steps, ultra show purple highs, blue halogen lows, SS 885's, custom z71 bowtie, green led parking lights, green DRLs, 4.10

My Dads- 2004 black z71 1500 WBH, tan leather, xm radio, every option, 3.73

KY_BOB

• I loved my S.L.U.T.: Sport Luxury Utility Truck
« Reply #4 on: 08/04/04 02:21 PM »

Just to through in a positive note- I bought my truck used with 38,000 miles on it.  I bought it from the dealer that sold it new and it was a one owner truck.  The first owner had all service and warranty work done at that dealership.  So it seemed logical to me to ask for the warranty records and they were happy to look it up for me.

My AV will turn over 50,000 this weekend.  To the best of my knowledge all it has had done to it other than service work is:

parking brake shoes
1 drl (before I changed to ambers)
tailgate lock repaired  

All were done under warranty.  It's DOB is 6/01 which some say the early ones had "bugs" that had to be worked out.  It has to be one of the earliest ones.

I don't want to step on any toes just share my trucks history.

Bob
« Last Edit: 08/04/04 02:22 PM by KY_BOB »
Gone but not forgotten...

02 Z-71  Vortech supercharged 3.12 pulley 10psi, 212/218 .558/.563 comp cam, LS6 valve springs, SMC meth injection, 42# injectors, Flex-a-lite Efans, 3"body lift, 33 12.50-17 procomp AT, 17x9 procomp wheels, AVIC-N2 NAV, 4.56 gears, 2500 stall converter, transgo HD2 shift kit, Vette servos, 80mm BBK throttle body, Edelbrock headers, custom exhaust, Cold Fusion nitrous, and too many more mods to list.

Tuned with HPTuners
8.86@77.87mph in the 1/8th

james21

« Reply #5 on: 08/04/04 02:25 PM »

I wouldn't really call this a contest, and I am not bragging either, in reality I wish that I never had any problems with my Avalanche. I really think that all the problems that occured with my Avalanche in the first year were dealer caused. It seems that everytime I left the lot, another problem arose driving away. The sunroof for instance was a factory defect, I just opened it up it went all the way back, and then would not close when I pused the button. I still have a whole list of small problems that have not been fixed, but I don't want to go to the dealer that I bought it from, because I have a horrible relationship with them now, so I go out to eastern MA, to a dealer that I went to for an oil change and started a great relationship with. So I really refuse to have it done anywhere else, even if it means that I would have to drive over 200miles to just get a headlight replacement. That is how much I care about my AV.

Again, THIS IS NOT A CONTEST.

-James. 8)
« Last Edit: 08/04/04 02:25 PM by james21 »
Avalanche 1500 BLK NFE w/ 4.56, locking Diff & 18inch wheels. MODS: Amber DRLs; Sunroof, Confer Rack; Volant Intake; MSD; NGK Iridiums; Magnaflow SS; PIAA low beams; HID Highs; Mercury Xenon 885 fogs; SOR front, WAAG rear; SS Bug Shield; Predator Dash & Grille lights, Whelen Strobes & TIR3s.
Newest Mod: 2nd Black Stealth Bumper; PC Xterrain; RCD 6", Rigid LED Bars front & rear; Dual Shocks.

She's All Modded out.

rab356

• So, I now have another AV, Sunburst Orange :)
    • More photos
« Reply #6 on: 08/04/04 02:25 PM »

Don't let that guy from....where was he from??? Pakistan....:???? get ahold of this....ROFL
Current - 08 Avalanche LT - Sunburst Orange
Previous - 08 GMC Sierra 1500
Previous - 02 Avalanche (Sunset Orange)

KY_BOB

• I loved my S.L.U.T.: Sport Luxury Utility Truck
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/04 02:29 PM »

Again, THIS IS NOT A CONTEST.

No offense taken and I'm sorry you've had problems with a defective dealer and your truck.

Bob
Gone but not forgotten...

02 Z-71  Vortech supercharged 3.12 pulley 10psi, 212/218 .558/.563 comp cam, LS6 valve springs, SMC meth injection, 42# injectors, Flex-a-lite Efans, 3"body lift, 33 12.50-17 procomp AT, 17x9 procomp wheels, AVIC-N2 NAV, 4.56 gears, 2500 stall converter, transgo HD2 shift kit, Vette servos, 80mm BBK throttle body, Edelbrock headers, custom exhaust, Cold Fusion nitrous, and too many more mods to list.

Tuned with HPTuners
8.86@77.87mph in the 1/8th

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #8 on: 08/04/04 02:50 PM »

One problem..in 3 years...

The cracked rear window trim fixed under warranty.....
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

james21

« Reply #9 on: 08/06/04 08:57 AM »

I can't really say mine was the earliest, I know its DOB was in October 2001. I kinda think of it this way, I got the "Black Sheep" of the bunch. And isn't it ironic my AV is even black. Maybe if I got a White Av, I wouldn't have had any problems. I do think it is time for a color change for me. The deal with my Av was that my father helped me out with the down payment, because my credt was $h!t at the time I got it, and basically I let him pick the color. I am not saying that I don't like black, but I would rather of gotten a SOM or FG.
Sorry for going way off topic here.

-James. 8)

She's All Modded out.

Tator

• Hey! Who put this tank here?
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/04 09:06 AM »

I just noticed my rear window trim is cracked. So what the repair bill if not under warranty?

I also have the following wrong that hasn't been replaced since no longer under warranty.

1) Both mirrors
2) Under Hood Lamp
3) Foglamp housings
4) Front Bumber Cover and Right side foglamp bracket (Fight with an X-mas tree)
5)Rightside Taillight (Fight with a gang of mailboxes)
Member # 2140  '02 Black 4x4 Bought 10/01, Only Options: Locking Diff and Block Heater MODS: Manik Nerf Bars, DriverDesign Deflector, Vent Visors, Silver Stars, Amber DRLs,885s, ProCold, CW Grille, SPW, AVS HL Covers, TV50s, HPIII, FM70, Custom Decals

Blue Dragon

« Reply #11 on: 08/06/04 09:25 AM »

I bought my Av used in November 03 with 4900 miles on it from a Chevy dealer. I can honestly say the only real problems I have had are the cargo covers leaking and the popping sound in the front end when turning. All the other problems were from mods that weren't exactly right on first install. DAMN GOOD TRUCK IF YOU ASK ME! :1:
03 Arrival Blue 2WD
02 Chevy Camaro Convertible - traded
98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - donated
06 Chrysler 300C AWD
06 Acura TL
02 Jeep Liberty Limited - traded
87 Chevy Camaro IROC 5.7
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
03 Yamaha TT R90E
97 Honda XR80

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
« Reply #12 on: 08/06/04 09:33 AM »

I've had a few problems in the first 30,000 miles.  My Av's DOB is 12/01.  

Both fog lights replaced due to moisture

Cladding replaced twice due to partial detachment

Front grill bow tie replaced due to delamination

Shock bushings replaced due to god-awful squeaking

While there have been a few repairs, I don't consider them major, and the Av has never left me stranded.  I'm hoping the next 30,000 miles are carefree!  I'd rather spend money on mods than repairs.
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

james21

« Reply #13 on: 08/06/04 09:39 AM »

Tator, No. 2 & No. 3 shouldn't be that hard to fix, if the underhood lamp is just blown, you could replace the bulb, and if the foglamp housing needs to be replaced, it is probably a cheap replacement from the dealer. The front bumper cover and bumper, I have both, my bumper cover hasa couple of cracks on the passenger side from a snow plow that didn't know how to steer. Otherwise I know there are members out there wanting to get rid of their bumper covers. No. 5, will probably be more expensive than the fog lamp housing, but no more than $60, if that. No. 1 is the most expensive mod. That is $1300, and even if your Av is out of warranty the dealer should fix the window under warranty because it is a factory defect.

-James. 8)

She's All Modded out.

Flint4x4

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
« Reply #14 on: 08/06/04 09:48 AM »

All were done under warranty.  It's DOB is 6/01 which some say the early ones had "bugs" that had to be worked out.  It has to be one of the earliest ones.

On my '02 born 06/01/01 the foglamp/DRL housings leaked when I drove it thru a high pressure car wash for the first time this year. One problem in 3 years. Dealer replaced but I traded it for a loaded '04 Z71 I saw while there.
'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016

dakotadog

• Don't force it... Get a bigger hammer
« Reply #15 on: 08/09/04 09:39 PM »

Well I have had my 03 since January of 03 and I have about 40K on it by now.  I have had several problems:

1.  Left rear caliper snapped in two- brake system inop
2.  4wd message (adjusted several times)
3. replace radio
4  replace dash cluster
5. replace altenator and battery
6. replace tailgate latch and hinges
7. replace left foglight
8. sagging #3 panel (dealer won't replace)
9. replace front bumper cover
10.replace rearview mirror and outside air temp sender
11. Heater AC fan resistor replaced
12 Shocks completely worn out at 30K (no offroad)

I called Chevy and attempted to get an extention to the original warrannty and then attempted to get a meeting with the local GM rep.  I was told through the dealership that he would not even return my call and that he refused to speak with me as my problems were not "that bad"  I absolutely love the truck - but there have been lots of little nagging problems and my warranty is about to expire....

\
05 Onyx black 1500 Z71 4x4  w/dark charcoal  interior,  Cladded, Amber DRL, Maglight and fire extinguisher, EZ Slider, SS Sail Panel Bolts, Ventvisors.  Stripeman Graphics, Silverstars, Streamline Design goodies, stacking cargo panels mod 50w Fogs, Blacked out grill, Custom bowtie, Thule racks, Yakima cargo basket, Modified Addco swaybar links

BlackDragon

• www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.org
« Reply #16 on: 08/09/04 11:57 PM »

Got 4 problems less 1 yr own av.
1.  water leak into driverside.....not fix yet
2.  oil pressure pump sensor.....fix
3.  leak brake fluid.......fix
4.  vibrate during 65mph.......not fix yet

BlackBeast

• Charter Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche!
« Reply #17 on: 08/10/04 12:37 AM »

I guess I got lucky. 02 AV, no problems. (Nothing) Hope I didn't speak to soon..........
2002 Black AV, 1500 2wd, blk interior. painted cladding, Flowmaster (50 series)cat-back exhaust (dual behind each tire) K&N air induction system, Power programmerIII, 20" chrome wheel package, chrome nerf bars, 2 TVs/x-box, and a 7" In-dash DVD player for entertainment package.

More Mod: Will lower it 4-5" or go with 26" wheels and tires.

BAT

• Someday....
Problem with rear window trim.
« Reply #18 on: 08/11/04 07:10 AM »

One problem..in 3 years...

The cracked rear window trim fixed under warranty.....
I bought my '02 Av used about three weeks ago. The day I picked it up, I noticed the rear window trim was cracked. I questioned it, was told I could have the window out of a used North Face. That one was worse and the dealer said GM wouldn't cover it. Are they just yanking me? Based on the few I've just read, GM will cover this? I had the window out last night and noticed it has gotten worse. Should I demand the dealer replace this? I don't think I have to wait for a new one since they were considering giving me one off a new Av. Your opinions and suggestions are requested.
« Last Edit: 08/11/04 07:18 AM by BAT »
White 2002 Z71: GONE!!

replaced with: 2004 Mercedes Benz C320 4 matic GONE!!

replaced with: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Spanky

« Reply #19 on: 08/11/04 08:21 AM »

Let's see ............

1. Shorted wiring in drivers power seat drained the battery.
2. Partial cladding release - used moulding tape to fix for now - waiting for next dealer visit.
3. Cluster replacement due to noisy tach and fuel gauge fault.
4. Dealer installed puzzle-lock lug nuts stripped during tire rotation - they're gone now!
5. Auto dimming mirror changing in daylight - moved wiring behind mirror.

In all, relatively minor stuff in 16 months and 40,000 kms.  Still the best vehicle I have ever owned!
'03 Z71, Pewter, buckets, Bose, running boards, roof rack, molded flaps, K&N drop in, 3.73, full time amber DRL's, 893 fogs, Cool Blue low beams, Tru-Cool TOC, EZ-Slider, under bumper reverse lights

lance6902

• 2004 Avalanche WBH Black
    • pics of the 2004 AV
« Reply #20 on: 08/11/04 08:26 AM »

Biggest problem - not enough mods!!!

;D
2004 AV WBH Z71, Custom Corsa Exhaust, 22" Tires, Remote Starter, Backup speech sensor, Carbon Fiber & Gucci Interior, Chrome tube Steps, Sunroof, Off Road package, Tow package, music keg, 500/1watt & 300/4  JL AMPS, JL Midgate 2x12", DSP 5.1, Viper Alarm w/ voice, Neon Kit all around, Rear spoiler, Solid chrome license plate covers, Automatic fold in mirrors, Billet Chrome gas cover, Billet front grill, Billet Antenna, Custom made hitch Cover, Billet Interior, Push bar, LOF, K&N 77,

Forbin

• Total 3 Z-66 DBM in my street!
« Reply #21 on: 08/16/04 03:23 PM »

I don't have too many problems but I think I win with the earliest problem.

2 Weeks into the truck and the Fuel Pump breaks.  4 days later (Special order part) I get the car back.
'04 Z-66, DBM, WBH, Flares, Sidesteps, XM, Sunroof, HK Ultimate Auto PA

KnightMare

• Now at 60 MODs, let try for 70 now
    • Avalanche Pictures
« Reply #22 on: 08/17/04 02:18 PM »

I may have the most serious problem. My airbag system disables and the service airbag light comes on. Has happend 3 times and they replaced the whole airbag system last week. But guess what happens, the airbag system disables again and I took it to my dealer yesterday. The last time they had my Av for THREE WEEKS to fix the airbags. I had their rental silverado for that whole time had some serious fun  :4: with it (burn outs and such). Now they give me an 05 trailblazer. I'm getting the truck declaired a lemon and are in negotiations for an 04 black Z66 Av. They had it delievered to the dealerchip and liked it and hopefully I'll be able to get it.

Second problem was the shifter cable breaking and the dealer tried to blaim it on me. But that didn't work because I called the rep from GM and they picked up the tab. I love that lady from GM.

2003 Victory Red 4x4. Born 11/02, Mine 9/03 lemon, gone
2004 Onyx Black Z66. Born 12/24/03, Mine 9/08/04 KnightMare
1955  Chevy Bel Air 4dr
1967 Pontiac GTO,  Le Mans Convertible
1969 Chevy Camaro, Chevelle
1970 Chevy Chevelle x2

Avalanche Fox

« Reply #23 on: 08/17/04 02:24 PM »

No problems yet on my o2 Av... then again, only had it for 2 weeks... lol

Interplanet Janet

• Change is inevitable
« Reply #24 on: 08/17/04 10:07 PM »

No problems here but I am noticing that with all the issues listed.... Evryone still loves their AV

Is this kinda like getting cut off on the freeway and  because it's a HOT CHIC it's all O.K.?
2004 SOM Z71- BOSE W/6DISK-XM-Drivers convenience package- D.I.C.-Sun roof-luggage rack-onstar-lojack-F.T. AMBER DRL'S- ALL 4 on HIGH BEAMS- TnT diamond plate step plates-Tube Steps-cupholders in rear bumper-7 color LED neon kit from New Level Motor Sports-Line of Fire-lighted bowtie hitch cover thingy-custom dash cover

Forbin

• Total 3 Z-66 DBM in my street!
« Reply #25 on: 08/20/04 03:27 PM »

Only if she flashes you dude....otherwise Screw her for cutting you off!

:)

I had a Toyota Sequioa try that.  He took one look at me and backed off.
« Last Edit: 08/20/04 03:28 PM by Forbin »
'04 Z-66, DBM, WBH, Flares, Sidesteps, XM, Sunroof, HK Ultimate Auto PA

Tator

« Reply #26 on: 08/26/04 05:35 AM »

Anyone seen this: My 3rd Brake light is delaminating. The glossy reflective ani-scratch coating is just peeling away. It's like half gone.

Also to add to my eariler list....that was things I haven't fixed yet:

Newer items:
1)Drivers door only has express down and up...no normal down.  Unusual
2) When drivers window is all the way down it has a bad rattle liek it's off the track and just going plain fall out the bottom of the door.
3) Just noticed I too now have the trim around the back window cracked in the center on the bottom.

Whole list of things I have already fixed:
Brakes, brakes, brakes....  Dash rattle actually fixed under warranty, AC compressor (also Warranty) I had a bad injector at 126 miles that sent my computer into a tizzy. Taillight assembly operator caused defect....
Member # 2140  '02 Black 4x4 Bought 10/01, Only Options: Locking Diff and Block Heater MODS: Manik Nerf Bars, DriverDesign Deflector, Vent Visors, Silver Stars, Amber DRLs,885s, ProCold, CW Grille, SPW, AVS HL Covers, TV50s, HPIII, FM70, Custom Decals

Rookey44

• Charter Member
  • Heartbeat of AMERICA!!!
    • Rook's 1983 Monte Carlo SS
« Reply #27 on: 08/26/04 10:46 AM »

Well lets see.....  Born on date 9/01 purchased March '02.

First month of having it, had it in to fix ring and pinion gears for whining sound around 45 mph.

New front differential,  New driver's side window motor, Greased then replaced Inter-steering shaft, new front left wheel bearing, 2 new passenger mirrors, new driver's side mirrors for not defrosting, and currently waiting on new rear window(trim cracked) and another driver's side mirror(not defrosting, AGAIN). Thank god for warranties... just a little worried since I only have 2K left. :(  I also have valve lash on hard acceleration, dealer says nothing they can do to fix this, and 4 wheel drive is still very load when used.  :2:
« Last Edit: 08/27/04 08:15 AM by Rookey44 »
1st AV (traded-in):2002-1500-5.3-4x4, Victory Red.
Options- Sunroof, Power Bucket Seats, 17 inch-WOL
http://www.geocities.com/Rookey44/

Latest AV: 2004 - 1500 5.3-4x4, Silver Birch.
Options- Sunroof, Leather Power Bucket Seats, Bose Sound System, XM, Onstar, Locking Differential, 4x4, 6 CD changer, Nerf Bars

Tator

« Reply #28 on: 09/14/04 08:06 PM »

Add a tranny at 59k......doh

avacorvette

« Reply #29 on: 09/24/04 07:06 AM »

1 smoken
2 tranny (lost 3 & 4)
3 smoken
4 air con
5 smoken
6. bad tires (shimmy)
7. brakes (new rotors all 4)
8 smoken

all coverd under warrenty and still smoken.  (Phathom smoke-- do a search)

02 Forest Green Avalanche w/rear split 2 exhaust, 3" lift, Chevy Brush Guard, 33" Pro Comps on American Racing Rims ,Cold Air Intake, Hypertech, Helix throttle body spacer, 310 HP approx. (STRONG)

00 Black on Black Corvette, ram air, hypertech, some Mid America goodies, 365HP approx. (QUICK)

djfcars

• D'OH!!!!! Its another Avalanche!
« Reply #30 on: 09/27/04 09:43 PM »

I just took my truck to the dealer for the very first time:

I had the aux tranny cooler installed.

They ordered a inter-steering shaft as I was getting a little clunk steering.  

I'm  at 15,500 miles on a 2003 4 X 4

Great truck.  Love it. Wish my wifes Volvo was this reliable.  Around here the imports are losing big time.  I estimate the Volvo would of been in 10 times by now!

enough said.
2003 Z-71 1500 4 x 4  dark gray metallic, onstar,chrome running boards

james21

« Reply #31 on: 10/04/04 11:30 AM »

Well I can add two more items to my list of problems.
First, my ABS sensors on front and rear are all corroded and need to be replaced :6: :E:. Thats roughly $700 down the drain.
Second, my front/rear drivetrain U-Bolts are gone and need to be replaced, so that is $420 :E:.
I am really kicking myself for not getting an extended warranty :8: :C:.

Over $1100 in wear/tear ::) maintenance :E:!

No mods for a long time.

-James. 8)

She's All Modded out.

Main One

• I've got Yellow Fever!
« Reply #32 on: 10/04/04 11:53 AM »

2) When drivers window is all the way down it has a bad rattle liek it's off the track and just going plain fall out the bottom of the door.
Mine has never had a normal down.  Was it supposed to?

I had a rattle in the driver's door, whether the window was up or down, that started around the 37,000 mile point that I first noticed on the way to the Niagara Falls GTG in June.  A few weeks ago I took the door panel off.  There were several roughly half-inch bolt heads that were undoubtled holding something on the inside of the door, and one was about a turn loose.  I tightened it up and the rattle is history.  You may want to pop off your door panel and see if you can identify and fix the problem as easily as I did.

Fastest AV at Bowling Green GTG - 88.76 mph
Quickest 1/2 ton AV at Bowling Green GTG - 15.914 sec ET
Reaction Time - Don't Ask!!!
Bowling Green GTG Texas Hold'em Champion!

Z66 BUTCH

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • I love Dachshunds
« Reply #33 on: 10/04/04 12:10 PM »

I had a rattle in the driver's door, whether the window was up or down, that started around the 37,000 mile point that I first noticed on the way to the Niagara Falls GTG in June.  A few weeks ago I took the door panel off.  There were several roughly half-inch bolt heads that were undoubtled holding something on the inside of the door, and one was about a turn loose.  I tightened it up and the rattle is history.  You may want to pop off your door panel and see if you can identify and fix the problem as easily as I did.

If I just push the down button for a second or two it will stop when released. If I hold it for longer it will go all they way down.

Butch

Commander

« Reply #34 on: 10/04/04 12:11 PM »

I bought my 02 Av 2500 10/19/01 36 months/0% interest and just paid it off.

DRLs replaced due to moisture
Rotors turned due to warpage
Rear end clutches relaced due to slippage and clunking noise at takeoff

Thats it so far (fingers crossed)

Main One

• I've got Yellow Fever!
« Reply #35 on: 10/04/04 12:21 PM »

If I just push the down button for a second or two it will stop when released. If I hold it for longer it will go all they way down.

Butch
That's how the wife's 99 suburban works.  Maybe they changed it in 03?

Fastest AV at Bowling Green GTG - 88.76 mph
Quickest 1/2 ton AV at Bowling Green GTG - 15.914 sec ET
Reaction Time - Don't Ask!!!
Bowling Green GTG Texas Hold'em Champion!

bigbad4x4mama

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: 11/04/04 09:56 AM »

Bought the Av Sept. 01, the truck is an 02'.  

About 2 weeks after buying the truck had to bring it back to the dealer, because of a loud clanking sound comming from the back tire area.  Thought it was brakes when the sound just came out of the blue.  Was afraid to drive it.  Dealer said the emergency brake cable broke and they replaced it. (pretty scary since I had not even used the brake at all)  Also noticed the plastic strip on the bottom of drivers' side door was not attached right and they fixed that too.

Had tailgait latch replaced.

Tailgait strap broke.  Dealer only would replace 1 broken strap, said we needed to wait until we received the recall notice to have the 2nd one replaced.  Just received notice the end of October.  Have to get it replaced.

Fog lights have moisture in them.  Have not fixed yet.

Both passenger side seat belt adjuster straps broke.  Have not fixed yet.

Plastic rain guard in truck bed broke & now leaks on that side.  Have not fixed yet.

Just recently noticed that while driving the Av in bumper to bumper (stop & go) traffic, that the truck hesitates when I press the gas and doesn't accelerate, so I ease up, and try again and the Av kicks in real hard.  I stop and put the Av in park and then back to drive and it doesn't happen again.  This has happened on 3 different occasions now and I'm wondering if a transmission problem may be something I'll have to add to this list?   ???

Lastly, I have had a problem with the brakes not catching when I hit a bump in the road and then have to brake suddenly.  The brake doesn't seem to engage unless I ease up on the brake and then apply brake pressure again.  (Anyone else notice this problem?) ???

Right now everything has been, and is still under warranty.  We decided to get the extended warranty for the length of our loan.  (Thank God!) I need to bring it in to have the above mentioned problems fixed that haven't already been addressed though.    

03Avalanche

• My Website for Wholesale Items
« Reply #37 on: 12/21/04 10:41 PM »

About a week later from picking it up it was used but still in overall wonderful condition.  It went back to chevy for the following.

Rotors where shot,
Driver side window would sqeak
onstar went out.
vibration at 65mph plus

chitnw31

Re: Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their AV
« Reply #38 on: 01/02/05 10:15 AM »

Here is my list of problems with my 2002 Avalanche

Problem: Security light comes on while driving

Solution: Dealer says it is the ignition cylinder, replaced it.

Problem:One month later same problem.

Solution: Dealer says theft deterent control module, replaced it.

Problem: Key will not turn back to Aux position.

Solution: Dealer installed it improperly when replacing ignition cylinder.

Problem: My Dashboard has started to light up like a Christmas tree, gauges are moving left and right at will, Batt. light, security light, low fuel light, ABS light, Air bag light, all are flashing simuntaniously.

Solution: Someone on here says it is the ignition switch(have not taken it in yet)

Problem: Single knock when turning left or right.

Solution: Dealer says intermediate steering shaft needs replacing. (Parts on national backorder)

Problem: Water is getting into the cabin and saturating the drivers side carpet

Solution: Unsolved to this point

pydpiper

• Pocket full of sunshine!
« Reply #39 on: 01/08/05 05:39 AM »

Steering shaft
upper/lower tie rod ends
non defrosting mirror
piman arm
two front bumpers
1 rear bumper
1 inner wheel well
bad alternator, squeels
tire after tire after tire
intermittant stereo
sagging panels
2 front bearings
4 universal joints
slipping transmission
paint coming off stereo knobs..nasty at night
moisture in headlight
replaced 1 fog light assembly
low frequency hum while making left turn
(i am getting depressed)
knock in rear end while accelerating
control arms
Sig pic removed exceeded 30kb

rundown

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #40 on: 02/08/05 07:48 AM »

Alright people,  this is my first post and I hope I do it justice.  And what a way to start -  Bought my avi 11/01 brand new, since then --

radio lock out - fixed under warranty

back window molding split: part of window, replaced under warranty part # 93439995

severe water leak, all 4 floor areas wet, found water on all 4 floor areas - remove carpet and just backing up into truck, also found leaks at back glass seal and wweatherstrips on mid gate and rear panels, replace all necessary weatherstrips, seals and deflectors, clean all floor drains, adjust rear cargo panels, dry carpet and replace jute
part # 88944066 seal 17.09, 93441034 insulator 16.8, 88981500 weatherst 16.565, 88944067 seal 17.09, 93440247 deflector 16.565, 93440246 deflector 16.565, 15082042 cover 16.575 - all under warranty

lock on liftgate does not loack at time will not unlock, gate lock binding replace outside handle and lock latches on both
part # 15068285 latch 17.198, 88936997 modling 17.190, 15193786 striker 17.198, 15086873 handle 17.204, 15068286 latch 17.198 - all under warranty - (this one took 3 driveback to the dealer)

left tailamp lens cracked by latch on tailgate, missing bumper on left side and latch on right side has a cracked sleeve, replace taillamp lens
part #: 15771437 - all under warranty

right mirror has a hairline crack in it, shorted, replace mirror
part #: 88986363 - under warranty

shift lever seems to have exceeive play while in drive - play is normal

left front drl out replace bulb, part# 15199562 - warranty

air bag light came on then stayed on until car was turned off, when turned back on behicle lost clock memory, scan test no codes, found tested battery and charging system ok, tested vehicle for any draws in electrical system no draws found  $80 BILL TO CUSTOMER

brake inspection ending in pads and shoes worn from rotor delamnination (mileage 29581) replaced all rotors and pads
part #: 18041762 pad kit, 18045936 pad kit, 18060214 rotor, 25757802 rotor, 88982875 lining kit - all under warranty :)

talkgate does not sit flush, tonnoeau covers out of alignment, adjusted right and left tailgate strikers - warranty

tonneau cover weatherstripping falling off, removed all 4 cargo cover seals, cleaned covers reinstalled with new adhesive per tsb - warranty
(and this went on another 2 times and they're still fallin off!)

intermittent electrical issues, will start car all lightsnot working for a while shut car off restart, vehicle will start put into drive and will not go anywhere almost like in neutral, put in third and it will move.  of/6d/n2328/rl 1.0 ol 1.0 autho code e0090, can test codes p0740 torque converter cljutch enable solenoid control circuit p0785 3-2 shift solenoid control cicuit and p1860 tcc-pwm solenoid control circuit, inspect harness to trans, test terinal fit ok, voltage and ground good, foundintermittent loss of ignition feed test wiring, voltages and grounds at base of steeing column, pin gauge harness terminals, replace ignition switch/wiring harness in column
part# 26098765 switch, 15155213 clip - warranty

front grill very loose, replaced - warranty

fog lamp broken assembly, condensation inside, part #15040361 - warranty (but) later on the other one had condensation in it as well they wanted another $120 for that one ;(

cable recall - warranty

this one is a goody - when they replaced my brakes they left the original rear brake shields on.  now that ok but in this case they were both almost completely rusted off.  this is something i just happened to notice when i was under the car.  needless to say after telling the dealer how disgusted i was -

replace rotted/rusted backing plates for left and right rear disc brakes
part #: 12476287 shield, 26066456 gasket, 89021677 libricant - all under warranty - did get a free oil change out of that one

AND NOW - I'm goin' back on monday for (and this is for the stuff only a non techi would know to look for):

severe water leakage - midgate top driver side dripping, hollow gasket filled with ice, puddle inside car, front driver and passenger side ice dams inside door and below between gaskets, carpets soaked in back and front, moldy smell, inside bed (on outisde of midgate) full of water, obviously was not draining and yes the drain plugs were clear

paint bubble in the bed by the midgate (where water puddled)

strip of modling inside rear driver side foor split

a/c not loosing coolness

light under hood has loose wire

radio resets time

tailgate - at this point doesn't close at all, lock mechanism needs to be replaced again

driver's door trim is loose

Now, I know this is alot.  but i'm hoping that this can help someone.  also i just received xenon 9006's to replace my low beams and the connector where you replace the bulbs (take the bulb out of) in my avi is different making the 9006 not fit in.  any suggestions?

:E:

rundown

« Reply #41 on: 02/08/05 07:50 AM »

by the way - it's a 2002 z71 4x4 with all bells and whistles

NJ-Black-02-2500

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: 02/08/05 08:10 PM »

6 visits to get the Air Conditioner to work
9 visits and a fuel spill to get it to take gas consistantly

Everything is OK now....80k miles
Black 02 2500 4X4
K&N FIPK, Magnaflow Cat back
SSBC Shortstop brake kit
HID Lows and Fogs from DDM Tuning
WAAG grill guard, KC Daylighters,
custom overhead console switch mount
Alpine CDA 9835  (From Enkei)
XM SkiFi II,  MB Quart RSC216's front and rear doors
Alpine 4X100 Amp, 10 Inch Alpine subwoofer,350 watt Alpine Base Engine sub amp
Husky Liner mats
SOLD NOV 2011--TRANS WENT BAD--220k miles
TRADED FOR GMC 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4X4 Pickup

Scion

• Dug out of the Avalanche
« Reply #43 on: 07/06/05 11:26 AM »

Well, I won't go into all the details.  Too time-consuming (and frustrating).

I bought my 2005 AV 1500 Z-71 in May 05.  It was built in April 05.  Within the first week, it was in with a hydroboost problem.  The lists below summarize my experience since then:

List of repairs completed/attempted:

1. Hydroboost assembly replaced to cure "kick-back" upon quick braking.  Status - New unit behaves similarly, but is now considered "normal".  Slowly improving.
2. All 3 bed panels replaced for warpage and poor fitment.  Status - #1 panel is still not properly fitted and does not seal along crossbar.  Gutter on back of #2 panel is incorrectly formed and cannot function properly.
3. Rail gaskets and rear window gasket replaced.  Status - Still waiting on mid-gate gasket and crossbar seal.  Leak condition improved.
4. Transmission "hunting" for gears on take off and slipping going into "D" and Reverse.  Code updated and low transmission fluid topped off.  Status - Working well so far.
5. 3rd brake light inoperative.  Loose harness in roof reseated.  Status - Still working fine.
6. Stereo lost power completely for 5 seconds while changing from CD to AM.  Has not reproduced.  Nothing done.
7. Stereo, RPO UB0, sometimes is slow to begin playing commercially produced CD's after inserted.  Found TSB related to this, but was told that the TSB was only for RPO UB0 and UB1.  Unit is a UB0.  Tech stated stereo was RPO UQ3, but that code refers only to the speaker system, not the UB0 head unit.  Nothing done.
8. Scuffs/scratches in paint (caused by dealer service tech).  Buffed out by dealer.

List of outstanding issues:

1. Power Steering Pump whine.  Has gotten worse.  Is most notable when cool, but is audible throughout the RPM band.
2. A/C compressor tends to engage harshly (with a bang) at times when first turned on.
3. While backing up hill at low speed, it feels as though the brakes grab and release quickly (happens while not even touching brake peddle)
4. Whine from front end while under power in 4WD.
5. Manual downshifts (engine braking) are harsh and often yield a "yelp" from the transmission (not the tires)
6. Intermittent clicking in steering column during sharp turns (but not while turned all the way to the stops)
7. Clunk in floorboard on some left turns and even a few right turns.
8. Warning alerts/bells quit working, worked intermittently, then started working again).
9. Various body/frame creaks, squeaks and rattles while driving on dirt road or slowly over obstacles.
10. Mid-gate trim/upholstery around window storage brackets is loose and in the way.
11. Gouged L-Pillar trim pieces need replaced (gouged by dealer's service tech during new gasket install).
12. Bed panels still leaking a bit, and daylight is visible along entire front edge of panel #1.
13. Gutter along back of panel #2 is incorrectly formed and cannot drain water out to side gutters.

[RANT]
For the past week, the service manager and I have been trying to work with Chevrolet on getting them to help trade me out of this solid gold boat anchor!  I have already picked out a new one that I drove and kept overnight so I could put it through the paces and inspect everything.  The dealer's area rep is on vacation, and nobody at Chevy seems to know who's doing what!  Everyone seems to be waiting on someone else to do something.  The Chevy reps (we're on #3 now) start off helpful, then stop returning calls.  :E: They won't return our calls.  They won't return the service manager's calls.  Yesterday, the rep put my wife on hold for 5 minutes.  When she came back she said she had just spoken with our service manager (by name) and gave him further direction.  But when we spoke to the service manager, he was angered that she would have said that, because she never even called him, much less did she speak to him!  :8:

This has gotten very old, very fast!  I've been a big GM guy since I was 14 years old.  But if this doesn't finally pan out and leave me with a great experience in the new truck, it will probably be the LAST GM I ever buy.  I guess I'll have to do my homework and research to figure out what else I'd want to buy.  That's pretty hard for a loyal GM customer to say, but they are NOT doing anything to retain me, and if this new truck is any indicator of their new quality standards, COUNT ME OUT!  :3:
[/RANT]
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4
***Yeah, it's got a Hemi! ;D ***

***2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP***
---Nicely Modded and Hauls...Kids ;o)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/sciongtp

**2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z-71 WBH**
Let the Repairs Begin...C'mon Money Tree!!

Scion

« Reply #44 on: 07/11/05 08:39 AM »

UPDATE:  :E: :E: :E: :E: :3:  Well, last Thursday, Chevy made it clear that they were going to screw around and make excuses and procrastinate until the Dealer Rep got back from vacation, which is today.  In the mean time, the vehicle we had driven, kept for the night and thoroughly inspected...the one we had chosen to replace this one and said we would accept...the one the sales manager put on "Administrative Hold" and parked in the back lot...the one about which he said in no uncertain terms, "It's not going anywhere.  We'll hold it for you as long as it takes," was sold right out from under us!  >:(

After speaking to the GM of the dealership, he looked into it and found out there isn't another one like it within 3 states!  :6:  Even if he does manage to get one here, we'll have to start the whole take-it-for-the-night-and-inspect-it-with-a-fine-tooth-comb routine all over again before we even know if we'll accept it.  And that's only IF Chevy decides to come through with enough "trade assistance" so that we don't get raped on the deal.  As of yet, we've still got NOTHING.

Thus far, Chevy has proven themselves a bunch of unconcerned liars, and the dealership, though their customer service attitude remains generally good, has screwed up at too many turns.  I'm SO disappointed.  I WANT MY OLD TRUCK BACK!!!  (Did I mention that before?)

More to come....
« Last Edit: 07/11/05 08:45 AM by Scion »

Scion

« Reply #45 on: 07/19/05 09:09 AM »

Next UPDATE:  Well, last Monday, after Chevy piddled around until the area dealer rep (who apparently only works under condition of annonymity) returned from vacation, the dealer rep "reviewed the file" and decided that he didn't feel "trade assistance was justified at this time."  That was his way of saying "Suck it up and take that $40k truck a little further up the wazoo, because we're not gonna take any responsibility for rotton QC!"  >:(

The General Manager of the dealer said he felt "partially responsible" and would absorb as much as possible.  Unfortunately, his idea of absorbing as much as possible was for me to loose $6,000 to get into another truck that was the same price!!   ??? :o  I told him he was out of his mind when he said he was risking losing $4,000 by giving me $26k in trade on my brand new truck!

As of now, my truck has been in the shop since last Monday evening (so we're on day 8 now).  I am driving another brand new 05 as a loaner (only had 11 miles on it).  Unfortunately, it already seems to have many of the problems mine has...along with a few extras!  As stated in another thread, for example, the power steering pump whines like a red-headed 5-year-old who just had his candy stolen.  Noises, clunks, rattles, rubs, grabs, etc....All confidence is gone at this point.

I wrote a 4 page letter to the president of GM (I can post here if anyone would like to read it).  I know that he won't personally read it, but usually they have people who read and deal with these things, so maybe I'll get some action from that...maybe not.  If I do, I have no idea what kind of remedy I'd want, since I no longer believe in their QC processes.

As of now, unless something big comes of this letter, I've resolved to let the dealer continue trying to fix my truck (which I'll be even more picky about from here out) until: A. They cannot fix it, and we go to arbitration and make Chevy buy the truck back for the purchase price plus collateral expenses (minus mileage); or, B. They actually get the truck fully fixed...at which point I'll enjoy the crap out of it for a couple years, then sell it and get something else, NOT CHEVY!  Sad as it seems, and as much as I like this vehicle, this is one long-time seriously devoted GM guy who may never buy another GM product again!   :3: :6:

Scion

« Reply #46 on: 08/08/05 07:20 PM »

Well, as you can tell by the new signature, I had enough.  Gave the dealer one more chance to fix it.  They FINALLY replaced the power steering pump, which cured about 75% of the whine.  Everything else was either excuses for why the problems are "normal" (just because Checvy screwed up a lot of them the same way doesn't make it normal!), or that they couldn't reproduce things I had personally reproduced for them.  No, I never heard another word back from my letter or from Chevy customer service (after MANY more messages).

So, now I'm Hemi-powered, and I must say I'm very impressed.  So, best to all of you.  Here's hoping you all have good Avalanches and I was just lucky enough to get one of the totally hosed ones.  Did I mention the body was twisted, too???   :o

God bless,

--Scion  :A: :A: :A:

Monte Carlo Man

« Reply #47 on: 10/18/05 05:44 PM »

Let's see - there are 52 weeks in a year.  The first year I drove the courtesy vehicle more than I drove the Avalanche.

I drove the salesmans 2 wd Green - the one with the back packs.
I drove a Blue one - was pretty cool - but the sun roof leaked.
I drove the Black one - had leather interior , sun roof I think and awesome sound system.

First day it pulled to the left so hard I almost hit the guard rails on the way home.  Drove 110 miles round trip to buy it.  Drove 110 miles to get it looked at.  Dealer rotated the tires to the rear after the 3rd visit.
They aligned it twice and replaced the wheel bearings the 3rd time.
That was the first month.

2nd month - The rear end started howling.  The cargo covers started leaking , the rear window started leaking.  The brakes wouldn't stop.
4 more trips to the dealership where I bought it - at 110 mi each.

3rd month - 4 wheel drive quit working.  2 feet of snow on the ground - 2nd day of hunting season - 8 miles back in the woods.  Had to have the transfer case replaced.  Was at the shop for 3 weeks.

4th month - wouldn't stop.  Steering making a poping noise .  Tires pulling to the right again.  Dealer replaced steering shaft.  Rotated tires.  Also found oil leak - was front axle.  2 more weeks in the garage.

5th month- rear end howling got worse - so they replaced carrier and bearings and gears.  Rear window leaked.  Speakers needed replaced - from turning the radio up so I wouldn't have to listen to the rear end.

6th month - Found out that tires were defective from the factory - had to go to a Good Year Tire and Auto center.  Good Year said that the tires were $180 each - said they were used and pro rated them at 50 %.  So I ended up giving them $110 each plus my old tires.

Broke a fog lamp and bumper cover out in woods.  Had to replace it also.  $550

6th month.  Engine using oil - engine smoking.  Tailgate falling down when you drive down the road.  1 trip to diagnose 1 trip to change oil and monitor oil consumption.  @ 110 miles each.  Radio quit working so they had to replace it also.

7th month - ratteling noise in rear - found to be broken shield on muffler.  Speakers replaced again from playing radio too loud.
Rattleing noise above 70 mph - found to be loose bug shield.  Was making a noise like rain when you drove down the road.

8th month - dead battery.  Was told that it was under warranty.  But couldnt replace unless it was completely dead.  Water still in back of truck and under back seat and drivers carpet soaked from leaks.

9th month - light quit working under hood.  Couldn't replace - since they said that it didn't have any mercury in it and all you have to do is rattle it to get it to work.  Engine is smoking bad.  Threatened Service manager with lawsuit and took buisness elsewhere.

10th month - check engine light came on again - was bad purge solenoid valve - changed that and gas cap.  Also changed grille because it rusted.  Changed drive shaft with replacement to try to get rid of howling noise.  New slip yoke was longer and had a special coating on it to keep it from rusting.

11th month - tires started wobbeling again.  Broken belts - another $110 each at Good Year tire and auto.  Tail Gate Straps broke - had them replaced.  Other intermitted problems looked at and fixxed.

12 th month - had to replace all of the brake pads - should have replaced rear brake rotors = but dealership wanted $110 each.  One has a big gouge from where a piece of rust got between the pad and rotor when dealership replaced rear end and didnt clean rotors before re assembly.  Also had to have front seals replaced a second time in front axle.

27 trips @ 110 miles each - you figure it out.  I took the New Black Avalanche back covered in mud.  It had 500 miles on it when I brought it back and it took them 4 days to clean it.  So they could sell it as a new vehicle.   Thank You Star Chevrolet - Greesnburgh PA~!

I did get to see the Jet Airplane that crashed on 9 11 - that went over the highway I was traveling on and also got to see 40 PA State cop cars going over 90 mph with 4 cops to a car on rt 30 after the crash.
Bumper to bumper - each carrying a shot gun or rifle!

tfwakeboarder14

• "Wakeboarder for life!"
« Reply #48 on: 10/18/05 05:48 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o Wow....I think you've got everyone beat! That had to be sad to see what happened on 9/11, and then actually hear the real story and to be able to say that you SAW IT! Wow... and by the way.... :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :wave: :wave: :wave:

-Ty
My dad owns the AVALANCHE and I'm his son
'02 FGM Z-71

MODS: Altec LOF, Electric Brakes, Avalanche lettering decals, bug deflecter, rain guards, running boards, ambers, Streetglow green LED I-Scanners, Single LEDS in storage compartments, Billet Grille from Enkei, 40% tint on front windows, and many more to come!

Future Mods: Exhaust & Air Intake

Scion

« Reply #49 on: 10/18/05 08:57 PM »

Can't say I'm sorry that I got rid of the Avy.  The new Ram Hemi is doing GREAT!  I'm becoming more of a convert everyday.  Sad to see Chevy turn into this.  Even worse, turning around an illegally selling that piece of lemon rind as a "new vehicle" is disgraceful!  So what are you driving now, Monte Carlo Man (besides, obviously, a Monte Carlo)?

karamaran63

« Reply #50 on: 03/12/06 07:00 PM »

hi, within 70 000 miles, i went thru fuel injectors,side mirrors,differentiel in front, bearings in rear differential, wheel bearings in front, cv axles,fuel regulator, thre fuel pumps,rear callipers,transmission,headlight broke inside ??,water dripping in my cargo plus getting inside behind seats,steering shaft,besides these things evrything else seems holding up. poop how much do i have left from that GM bull poop ?? so u see i really wnted this vehicle.

WMK

Re: Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their Backing plates
« Reply #51 on: 02/27/07 12:46 PM »

Hi,
I have purchased my son's Avalanche last month that he purchsed new, and when we did the back breaks we found the backing plates(Chevy Calls them break shields) rotted away, he said that he knew that but out of sight out of mind. I have opened a case with the and had an inspection and repair quote done an my expense and they denied the repair. This was jus in the past month. I did find out that these plates cost only about $17.00 each but you have to pull the rear axles to replace the plates. This makes the E-brake band wear out early and the pads as well.
I have serverice manager up here in New England that will stand behind me and say the plates rot out in areas where they use salt.

I need all people that this is happening to start calling Chevy and complaining about the problem, the cost to repair the plates is about $700. The same part number of the plates were used from 2002-2005. I think this could be an issue on other trucks with 4 wheel disk brakes as well.
Thank you,
Billk
Please pass this around.
The number I used to open the case is 866-790-5600 and follow the prompts.

Dupont 24

• I like BIG Trucks!
« Reply #52 on: 04/04/07 01:29 AM »

I have a 02' 1500 Z71 Av for over a year with no major problems so far. I just had to replace the pads, rotors ans parking brake shoes. I bought it with 61,000 miles.
02' Av 1500 Z71 Light Pewter.

04BlackWBH

« Reply #53 on: 04/12/07 02:43 PM »

Ahh, well this will be a fun one! Here we go...
Bought the truck new in October of 2003 since then I have,
1. Replaced gears in rear end due to high pitched whine while driving
2. Gauge cluster failure - 6 months to replace
3. Rear end litereraly "exploded"  and had to replace with new
4. Replaced both rear axels
5. Transmission went out - had to replace
6. Replaced drive shaft
7. Replaced steering shaft
8. Broke both u-joints on the drive line
9. **NEW** rear end started leaking fluid - repllaced all seals
10. Rear end still leaking fluid - replaced new seals again - 7 out of 12 bolts only hand tight
11. Rear end still leaking fluid - reason- Dealer is an idiot and cross-threaded the drain plug
12. Parking brake assembly broke - just replaced
13. Plus any and every recall Chevy has had on our trucks

I hate this truck! It was a great truck when it was new and I loved it. Then it started to just break and break constantly. I had a Tahoe before this truck and it was just as problematic. Needless to say I will NEVER buy another American made vehicle again and I hate to say that. Seems like the stigma that used to follow all American vehicles is still true (at least in my case). I had a Toyota truck at one point and thing was BULLETPROOF, never had a problem with it. I want to sell my Avy now and as soon as I do I will be rid of my "Domestic" problems. After my most recent visit to the service dept of chevy the dealer asked me if I had purchased the extended warranty and I said "No, that the second biggest mistake I ever made. The first was buying this piece of junk in the first place." All of this within 75,000 miles. Live and Learn I guess...
« Last Edit: 04/12/07 02:45 PM by 04BlackWBH »
2004 Chevy Avalanche WBH
Volant Cold Air Superchips Tuner Eibach 2/3 Drop 24" Centerline Encinos w/ Cooper 315/35/24 Tires 2 12's and 1500 watts
65K so far - 2 rear ends, 1 transmission, 2 rear axels, Intermediate steering shaft, gauge cluster failure - oh well, just a chevy for you...

dubzak

« Reply #54 on: 04/12/07 07:22 PM »

I'll use this for my debut to the AV fan club. I wish I'd found this alot sooner. This site is really cool. Well I got my AV in the first week of oct. 01 and have loved it ever since. the single most annoying prob for me is the brakes. Front rotors and pads made it to 126,000 (really no joke),but my rears however have been through three sets of rotors four sets of pads and three ebrakes. I do my own repairs so cost is only $120. per axle if that. I now have 192,000 miles with fresh brakes on the rear and the second set in the front still. My tranny went at 137,000 ( GM tranny ) no surprise. Two ujoints rear at 65,000 frot at 95,000. AC batterry at 130,000. Rear window trim cracked. Both mirrors have broken springs so they flop around.Rear axle seal at 191,000. Fuel pump at 145,000. catalatyc converters plugged at 155,000. I think I've had good luck with my 02 AV I'd never buy anything without a bowtie (for trucks anyway) If i had to do it all over again my wife would have been driving an AV the whole time. :B:

Avalanche Fox

« Reply #55 on: 04/12/07 07:26 PM »

I'll use this for my debut to the AV fan club. I wish I'd found this alot sooner. This site is really cool. Well I got my AV in the first week of oct. 01 and have loved it ever since. the single most annoying prob for me is the brakes. Front rotors and pads made it to 126,000 (really no joke),but my rears however have been through three sets of rotors four sets of pads and three ebrakes. I do my own repairs so cost is only $120. per axle if that. I now have 192,000 miles with fresh brakes on the rear and the second set in the front still. My tranny went at 137,000 ( GM tranny ) no surprise. Two ujoints rear at 65,000 frot at 95,000. AC batterry at 130,000. Rear window trim cracked. Both mirrors have broken springs so they flop around.Rear axle seal at 191,000. Fuel pump at 145,000. catalatyc converters plugged at 155,000. I think I've had good luck with my 02 AV I'd never buy anything without a bowtie (for trucks anyway) If i had to do it all over again my wife would have been driving an AV the whole time. :B:

wow... u need to find that thread re: how many miles do u have on your av 'cause that's just CRAZY !  looks like most of your problems happened after 100k though... so have u thought about replacing it w/ an '07... i'd say u DEFINATELY got your use outta that one... btw,  :welcome:

WILDFIRE

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • I see...
« Reply #56 on: 04/13/07 03:00 AM »

Ahh, well this will be a fun one! Here we go...
Bought the truck new in October of 2003 since then I have,
1. Replaced gears in rear end due to high pitched whine while driving
2. Gauge cluster failure - 6 months to replace
3. Rear end litereraly "exploded"  and had to replace with new
4. Replaced both rear axels
5. Transmission went out - had to replace
6. Replaced drive shaft
7. Replaced steering shaft
8. Broke both u-joints on the drive line
9. **NEW** rear end started leaking fluid - repllaced all seals
10. Rear end still leaking fluid - replaced new seals again - 7 out of 12 bolts only hand tight
11. Rear end still leaking fluid - reason- Dealer is an idiot and cross-threaded the drain plug
12. Parking brake assembly broke - just replaced
13. Plus any and every recall Chevy has had on our trucks

I hate this truck! It was a great truck when it was new and I loved it. Then it started to just break and break constantly. I had a Tahoe before this truck and it was just as problematic. Needless to say I will NEVER buy another American made vehicle again and I hate to say that. Seems like the stigma that used to follow all American vehicles is still true (at least in my case). I had a Toyota truck at one point and thing was BULLETPROOF, never had a problem with it. I want to sell my Avy now and as soon as I do I will be rid of my "Domestic" problems. After my most recent visit to the service dept of chevy the dealer asked me if I had purchased the extended warranty and I said "No, that the second biggest mistake I ever made. The first was buying this piece of junk in the first place." All of this within 75,000 miles. Live and Learn I guess...
ouch, sounds as though the dealer was a big of part of your troubles also
hope you find something that makes you happy
sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out

Dragracer

« Reply #57 on: 04/13/07 09:12 AM »

My Av needed a new alternator at 160K. Oh yeah- the fog light bulbs burnt out at 175K too. And I had to replace the tires and brakes already too. All these damn problems this truck has had since I've owned it I'm thinking about writing GM a letter to tell them what a POS I bought from them... :laugh:
3 Dueces and a 4-speed, and a 455..

Avalanche Fox

« Reply #58 on: 04/13/07 10:09 AM »

My Av needed a new alternator at 160K. Oh yeah- the fog light bulbs burnt out at 175K too. And I had to replace the tires and brakes already too. All these damn problems this truck has had since I've owned it I'm thinking about writing GM a letter to tell them what a POS I bought from them... :laugh:

:laugh: :beating: :laugh:

danlwil

• Toys... can you ever have too many?
« Reply #59 on: 04/13/07 04:41 PM »

My 5 haven't had near those problems COMBINED!
Just lucky I guess
"7"  White Z71
"Her AV3 "07 LT3 Silver Birch Metallic
"AV 5" 05 Blk Onyx Z71 t  for 7
"AV 4" 04 DBM 2500 t for "AV5"
"Her AV2"03 Victory Red wbh t for Her AV3
"Her AV" 03 Summit White 1500 t for "her AV2"
"His AV"02 Indigo Blue 1500 t for AV4

Strobin'01

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • relationships s**k
« Reply #60 on: 04/13/07 04:54 PM »

1. Gatorback
2. heat element on leather seats replaced.
3. Intermediate shaft
4. Wind noise on windshield.  Weatherstripping glued down.
5. Speedo cluster replaced.
6. plastic piece behind midgate, (in bed) broke/replaced.
7. computer reprogrammed due to locking/unlocking problems with door.
8. Battery

Would not trade this truck for the world!....For another AV though!

Why does my life go great for a while then spirals downward?

mdavalanche2500

« Reply #61 on: 04/13/07 05:36 PM »

I say with american cars and trucks you have to take care of little problems fast because if you wait to fix a little problem its just gonna get bigger and bigger then your screwed and your gonna go around saying american cars suck.

All it needs is some extra care.
Dad/Me 2002 2500 Indigo blue with grey cladding tinted windows, vent visors, reverse flood lights,Amber's ,CD changer I never use because dealer messed it up.

Me
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs M6

FAME2002

« Reply #62 on: 04/13/07 07:20 PM »

Lets see...
4 times for the front end popping problem,
3 times for the heated seats/electrical issues
1 for ac problem,
1 for check engine light (today actually)
1 for gatorback
1 for body trim issues.... that might be it....cant remember anymore but Im sure I will.
« Last Edit: 04/14/07 05:24 PM by FAME2002 »

mdavalanche2500

« Reply #63 on: 04/13/07 08:12 PM »

As for problems for me

1. 6 times for ac problem
2. transmission cooling like busted like 2 weeks ago
3. service light comes on every now and then taking it in tomorrow to get it looked at.

I am 2ND owner and those are the only problems. Ive had it for 2 years now it has 40,*** miles

The only major problem I have is filling it up with gas these days  >:(
Dad/Me 2002 2500 Indigo blue with grey cladding tinted windows, vent visors, reverse flood lights,Amber's ,CD changer I never use because dealer messed it up.

Me
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs M6

chadstr

• Dont you dare push my button, I want too! (NOS)
« Reply #64 on: 06/20/07 07:50 PM »

I have a pretty good list, Ive got a 03 WBH, bought it new in 4/26/03, I noticed the production date is 1/1/03...New years day, and based on the problems, I cant help but think the workers were drunk or hung over when building my truck. I have posted before, however everytime I do it again it weird but its getting bigger. So here it is as of today, 6/20/07:

76,375 Miles of FUN  :D

*3 alternators (2 were within the first 3 months)
*2 Batteries
*2 sets of Idler and pitman arms
*3 windows worked on, regulator, wouldnt roll up after rolling down
* back window frame cracked really bad...dealer wont fix
* Duel climate heater control went out
*Cladding turned as white as the background of this page, I gatorblacked it... by myself, no $ assistance
*Instrument cluster, Speedo went out,
*3rd panel is bent down bad, I flip it upside down and put a brick on it every once in a while to flatten it back out
*transfer case leak, replaced seal
*both transaxle seals
* Ignition switch went bad
* 1 oxygen sensor
* 4 shocks...(it was a little early but not terrible I guess)
*water pump (Its a Butt to get to)
*1 door locking/unlocking relays
* fuel injection system adjusted
*Maybe a cadalylic converter, keep getting a P0430 engine light code
*tailgate cable (it was recalled, but not before 1 of mine broke on me)
* Entire back end leaks, clear into my cab if I park facing downhill.
*Cruise control wont stay on anymore, it shuts on and off

And I think that is it...but there is tomorrow. I say that because it was just yesterday I spent $1252.28 on the water pump and the transaxle seals and another fuel injection flush

What do I win...even though "its not a contest" would it be wrong for me to suggest a new Ford  ???
« Last Edit: 06/20/07 08:00 PM by chadstr »
My Mods are worth more than my truck !?! Does that seem right?

dasuhl

« Reply #65 on: 01/23/08 06:57 PM »

I have had my AV for 3 years and it just turned 98K the only problem has been the speedo stuck at 100MPH and that just started today

4x4dreamer

• Have you checked your local GTG thread?
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: 07/08/08 05:33 PM »

Had mine since March 14th. 114,000 mi and here's the list.

Dr. side window relay blew
                        Catalytic converters clogged and caused me to drop a head
                        Taligate cables snapped
                         Tailgate latch failed
2013 Black Diamond LTZ with plenty of mods
2018 GMC Sierra SLT Premium Plus 6.2 V8

BLACKEDOUT_Z71

• IF IT AIN"T BROKE...BREAK IT!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: 08/14/08 05:00 PM »

Bought avy used with 31K on it. Warranty expired at 36K.

1. Trans went out at 39K
2. Rearend went out at 40K
3. Broke Both U Joints
4. Bad Ignition Coil 42K
5. Passenger Side Power Window motor 45K
6. Transfer Case Leaking
7. Heat exhanger failed in Radiator 49K (replace radiator, cooler lines and rebuild tranny.
8. Waterpump leaking current 52K

Not going to brand bash. But whats up GM. Come on make a quality product. My friend has an 06 Cobalt SC/SS and timing belt tensioner, bolt failed one was hand tight, oil pump also failed at 55K!
I love gm and have own a few but it seems quality has gone down. I had better driveablity out of my 69 C10 with a hopped up 427 and THM400.

Avys days are numbered.
04 AVALANCHE Z71
 DECEASED...FRAME DAMAGE DUE TO 4 WHEELING MISHAP!!!

06 DODGE RAM 2500 HEAVY DUTY TURBO DIESEL

dakota745

« Reply #68 on: 08/14/08 05:27 PM »

02 z66 with 87,250 on her. So far 3 batties 1 rearend, 1 BCM and 1 ac compresser. other then that I love her.

Darkhorse

« Reply #69 on: 08/14/08 05:48 PM »

Jeez! After looking at some of these, I almost feel lucky. In the three years i had mine it had the following issues repaired under warranty:

Tiger striped, faded plastic parts which required Gatorback
Bad rattle/popping that went away after the muffler heat shield was introduced to a crowbar
Drivers seat switch replaced
Front passenger window motor replaced
Steering shaft replaced
Four wheel drive encoder replaced
ABS module replaced
Water leak in front passenger compartment
Washer missing in tailgate latch made tailgate open at random times (fixed myself)
Noise and vibrations in 4 wheel drive low range (dealer couldn't duplicate)
Transmission was starting to act up when I decided enough is enough and got something else.

It drove great, the ride and interior comfort were excellent and it performed as well as one can expect from a 6000# truck but i think GM should have used better quality parts to assemble it with considering the price.

PerfectReign

• CAFCNA 2013 Supporting Member
  • A Turn Signal is a Statement, Not a Request
    • My Little Home on the Intrawebs
« Reply #70 on: 08/14/08 05:56 PM »

Wow, just saw this thread.

I'm kinda shocked.  Some people - particularly with the early models - seemed to have their share of issues.

At 35,700 miles, I've only had an issue with the power windows.  That was caused by a faulty install of the NAV/DVD, which has since been replaced.

Other than that I just think the truck is a bit small. Too bad we don't have three rows of seats then the 5' bed. 

Knocking on wood here...

2006 WBH2016 Malibu Hybrid

Darkhorse

« Reply #71 on: 08/14/08 06:22 PM »

Wow, just saw this thread.

I'm kinda shocked.  Some people - particularly with the early models - seemed to have their share of issues.

At 35,700 miles, I've only had an issue with the power windows.  That was caused by a faulty install of the NAV/DVD, which has since been replaced.

Other than that I just think the truck is a bit small. Too bad we don't have three rows of seats then the 5' bed. 

Knocking on wood here...

Actually, according to the govt agency who keeps track of this sort of thing, it could be worse- :o

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #72 on: 08/14/08 06:35 PM »

Me I can't stop modding her, she's costing me a fortune. :4:
2003 2500

phildaddy73

« Reply #73 on: 08/21/08 12:21 AM »

Hi, I bought my 04 AV w/97K miles. Changed 1 oxygen sensor. Tranny went out, replaced. When accelerating, feels like the engine shuts down to 4 cylinders. SOunds like a diesel truck downshifting. Took it to the shop, and they've had it for 3 days and cannot figure out what's causing this problem.  :'(

PerfectReign

« Reply #74 on: 08/21/08 07:05 AM »

Actually, according to the govt agency who keeps track of this sort of thing, it could be worse- :o

LOL!

Well, I remember the same for my '98 Maxima. However, I had only one issue with the car. 

As it is, I just drove up from LA to the Yosemite and back. Blew past that 36K safety net on the way up.

Funny thing, on the way down US 395, I saw an avalanche towing a couple of Corvettes. Kind of an odd thing to see.  Oh, and my only complaint is that that  the :beating: amber bulbs I use for the DRL's keep going out. I noticed that now my passenger amber DRL is out. I just changed it I think in November.

BLACKEDOUT_Z71

• IF IT AIN"T BROKE...BREAK IT!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: 08/27/08 11:31 PM »

You can also add alternator to my list but since then no problems for last 1100 miles.
04 AVALANCHE Z71
 DECEASED...FRAME DAMAGE DUE TO 4 WHEELING MISHAP!!!

06 DODGE RAM 2500 HEAVY DUTY TURBO DIESEL

maynor007

« Reply #76 on: 05/14/09 06:30 PM »

Well I had rotors and all brakes replaced....im working on my third 'Blend Door Actuator' -- at the dealer as we speak...and I had to get the entire rear end rebuilt, but I think that is about it.  I still love her to death due us part!!
2007 LTZ Avalanche, Front window 15% tint, GMPP CAI

Strobin'01

• relationships s**k
« Reply #77 on: 05/14/09 07:16 PM »

I have had my share of problems.  But the biggest problem is I can't seem to quit modding it! :E:

Why does my life go great for a while then spirals downward?

avz66

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • AV - AHOLIC!!!
« Reply #78 on: 10/28/09 07:23 AM »

8 years and 66,000 miles and no problems
2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,106,000 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door

7-13-15 stage 4 cancer

timgren

« Reply #79 on: 05/19/11 05:32 AM »

2002 AV Z71 with as many options as I could load into the truck.  This truck has been my biggest mistake & worst major purchase - ever.

This truck has be plagued with electrical issues since about 5k miles. I currently have 115k miles. The engine itself has been great - no issues with the engine or tranny at all.

It's everything else that's driving me crazy!! I would dump this truck and buy something different (NON-GM made) but it's been paid off for 6 yrs, and I HATE debt.

Note: The ONLY thing GM would replace under warranty was when BOTH CAT's that went bad (complete failure). One at 32K miles and the other at 48K miles. And the tail gate cable recall.

ALL the other things I replaced at my OWN expense because GM refused or had some excuse not too. "Intermittent" problems don't get replacement. It has to "fail" to a specific specification before it can be replaced under warranty. It doesn't matter if it's a $5 part or a $500 part. I've been told this by four different GM dealers.

I have gone though 5 batteries to date. yes - FIVE. About 8 shops have looked at it, and
nobody can find anything wrong that would cause the batteries to out-right fail the way it does. My "fix" was to buy an Autozone battery, and if it fails within 3 years - I get a free replacement. I've cashed in on this TWICE.

- Instrument cluster replaced.
- EBCM replaced (even with all the right codes..GM refused to cover this under warranty)
- Bulb sockets from both headlights and the running lights replaced (the original bulbs actually melted the sockets!)
- CD player has been dead for 3 yrs now. Radio works, but you can't program station buttons anymore.
- Cruise control system completely failed. Hasn't worked for 2 yrs.
- That little plastic cabin headliner blower (the little vent above the drivers head) would occasionally squeal like crazy. Get this - they wanted $75 to replace it! I ripped it out in less then 5 minutes. Problem solved.
- BOTH Front ABS sensors replaced
- Rear O2 sensor replaced.
- side-mirror positioning motor replaced. (drivers side)
- Power doorlock actuators (driver, and rear passenger) replaced. 
- Rearview mirror compass died a few months back, along with the buttons to open garage doors.
- The flip panel, and weather stripping between the back seat and truckbed is completely shot. The underside hinges are rusted and broken. Water DOES get in if I leave off the (heavily faded) panels. (which have had the weather stripping re-glued on). The latch handles under the cover panels are also so corroded that I can hardly close them.
- On-Star. (Grrrr!)
- Air bag light has been on for about a year now. Two different dealers quoted $120 to "diagnose".  (i.e. hook up a code reader... read code). I've learned to ignore it.

- Radiator replaced (developed a crack in a seam of the formed plastic)
- BOTH rear quarter panels, dead center above rear wheels have rusted-though. This is due to an unfilled seam between the welds of the inside and outside panels. There is a foam baffle in-between the panels that would wick up moisture, and rust out the panels from the INSIDE out. There is only one fix. Cut out the bad sections, rebuild, and fill with lots of bond-o. Re-paint.  (fyi.."perfect match - paint" should be re-named to "kinda close - paint".

In the last month:
- Replaced suspension, 3rd set of new tires, Rear brakes (and rotors) required replacement.

And GUESS what have have now!!  Passlock (SECURITY) light pops on -- when driving. So this weekend I get the pleasure of bypassing this "feature" before it disables the truck completely.

And with the others things that are out, I'm suspecting the BCM will also be "bad" sometime soon too. It's just a matter of time. I'm actually budgeting for it's replacement.

So would I buy another AV -- or GM product? Not even at half price! GM policy, and the dealers themselves, have lost my respect.  I'm not sure they care either. For now, they are making a mint off me in replacement part costs, and i'm quite sure they counted on all this "additional income" when they build the car. 

My wife doesn't help either, with her reminders of this mistake. Her used Camry (paid 12k for it at 28k miles) now has 205K miles on it, and never had anything other then basic or expect maintenance. With my AV -- it's Always something new to fix every 3-4 moths, like clockwork.

I refuse to believe i'm the only one that actually budgets $2k a year for truck repairs.

TXSZ66AVLANCHE

« Reply #80 on: 05/19/11 05:39 AM »

2002 AV Z71 with as many options as I could load into the truck.  This truck has been my biggest mistake & worst major purchase - ever.

This truck has be plagued with electrical issues since about 5k miles. I currently have 115k miles. The engine itself has been great - no issues with the engine or tranny at all.

It's everything else that's driving me crazy!! I would dump this truck and buy something different (NON-GM made) but it's been paid off for 6 yrs, and I HATE debt.

Note: The ONLY thing GM would replace under warranty was when BOTH CAT's that went bad (complete failure). One at 32K miles and the other at 48K miles. And the tail gate cable recall.

ALL the other things I replaced at my OWN expense because GM refused or had some excuse not too. "Intermittent" problems don't get replacement. It has to "fail" to a specific specification before it can be replaced under warranty. It doesn't matter if it's a $5 part or a $500 part. I've been told this by four different GM dealers.

I have gone though 5 batteries to date. yes - FIVE. About 8 shops have looked at it, and
nobody can find anything wrong that would cause the batteries to out-right fail the way it does. My "fix" was to buy an Autozone battery, and if it fails within 3 years - I get a free replacement. I've cashed in on this TWICE.

- EBCM replaced (even with all the right codes..GM refused to cover this under warranty)
- Bulb sockets from both headlights and the running lights replaced (the original bulbs actually melted the sockets!)
- CD player has been dead for 3 yrs now. Radio works, but you can't program station buttons anymore.
- That little plastic cabin headliner blower (the little vent above the drivers head) would occasionally squeal like crazy. Get this - they wanted $75 to replace it! I ripped it out in less then 5 minutes. Problem solved.
- Rearview mirror compass died a few months back, along with the buttons to open garage doors.
- The flip panel, and weather stripping between the back seat and truckbed is completely shot. The underside hinges are rusted and broken. Water DOES get in if I leave off the (heavily faded) panels. (which have had the weather stripping re-glued on). The latch handles under the cover panels are also so corroded that I can hardly close them.
- On-Star. (Grrrr!)
- Air bag light has been on for about a year now. Two different dealers quoted $120 to "diagnose".  (i.e. hook up a code reader... read code). I've learned to ignore it.

- BOTH rear quarter panels, dead center above rear wheels have rusted-though. This is due to an unfilled seam between the welds of the inside and outside panels. There is a foam baffle in-between the panels that would wick up moisture, and rust out the panels from the INSIDE out. There is only one fix. Cut out the bad sections, rebuild, and fill with lots of bond-o. Re-paint.  (fyi.."perfect match - paint" should be re-named to "kinda close - paint".

In the last month:
- Replaced suspension, 3rd set of new tires, Rear brakes (and rotors) required replacement.

And GUESS what have have now!!  Passlock (SECURITY) light pops on -- when driving. So this weekend I get the pleasure of bypassing this "feature" before it disables the truck completely.

And with the others things that are out, I'm suspecting the BCM will also be "bad" sometime soon too. It's just a matter of time. I'm actually budgeting for it's replacement.

So would I buy another AV -- or GM product? Not even at half price! GM policy, and the dealers themselves, have lost my respect.  I'm not sure they care either. For now, they are making a mint off me in replacement part costs, and i'm quite sure they counted on all this "additional income" when they build the car.  

My wife doesn't help either, with her reminders of this mistake. Her used Camry (paid 12k for it at 28k miles) now has 205K miles on it, and never had anything other then basic or expect maintenance. With my AV -- it's Always something new to fix every 3-4 moths, like clockwork.

I refuse to believe i'm the only one that actually budgets $2k a year for truck repairs.

You joined the forum just to Female Dog about everything? Do you honestly believe there is ANY vehicle made that will NEVER require any work or have parts wear out? Seriously? You blaming GM for having to replace the tires?
« Last Edit: 05/19/11 05:40 AM by TXSZ66AVLANCHE »
2003 Suburban-GMT900 Brakes, BB Tuned, Dual Batteries, DL3 Mirrors , E-Fans, Eibach Sway Bars
2003 Silverado- Ranch Hand Push Bars, Work Horse and guinea pig
2004 Avalanche- LS1 5.7, GMT900 Brakes, BB tuned, Efans, Leveled, Dual Batteries, Painted Door Handles, Detroit TrueTrac, Eibach Sway Bars
2005 Silverado RCSB- Currently Stock
1995 S10- Race Truck In Progress!

timgren

« Reply #81 on: 05/19/11 06:28 AM »

You joined the forum just to Female Dog about everything? Do you honestly believe there is ANY vehicle made that will NEVER require any work or have parts wear out? Seriously? You blaming GM for having to replace the tires?

Not at all.

I joined because the forum has some great hints about some DIY repairs. This thread was not started by me. It's also entitled - " Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their AV".  I felt I was qualified to post my experience. Not "Female Dog", although its easy when it comes to my AV.

I wasn't aware this forum was limited to "warm and fuzzy" posts. I thought it was an open forum and encouraged open/honest opinions. My apologies. From now on, I'll remember to limit all my posts to how wonderful my vehicle is, and my experience with GM has been over the last 10 years. 

Do I blame GM for tire wear? Not directly no, of course not. But tires with 50K wear warranty that get ~30k avg is partly due (as I've been told) by the GM tire pressure spec that's on the door sticker. It's too low for the fronts, and the tires routinely wear at the edges much faster then in the center. Meaning under-inflation. Why does the GM spec call for something that would cause abnormal tire wear? Better ride and less chance of roll-over. - at my the owners expense.  My first set of tires wore out at 25k.

I understand about common maintenance, and that things wear out. But in the last 10 yrs, I've spent about $7500 in repairs. Some of the repairs would be expected in a truck after maybe 200k miles... not 100k.

TXSZ66AVLANCHE

« Reply #82 on: 05/19/11 06:59 AM »

Its just some of the stuff you complain about... like 100K truck that needs brake repair? That's pretty Normal. Blaming GM for tire wear is just retarded. Welcome to the club...enjoy you stay.
2003 Suburban-GMT900 Brakes, BB Tuned, Dual Batteries, DL3 Mirrors , E-Fans, Eibach Sway Bars
2003 Silverado- Ranch Hand Push Bars, Work Horse and guinea pig
2004 Avalanche- LS1 5.7, GMT900 Brakes, BB tuned, Efans, Leveled, Dual Batteries, Painted Door Handles, Detroit TrueTrac, Eibach Sway Bars
2005 Silverado RCSB- Currently Stock
1995 S10- Race Truck In Progress!

HiHo Silver

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • Formerly known as "heavy_chevy08"
« Reply #83 on: 05/19/11 03:34 PM »

2002 AV Z71 with as many options as I could load into the truck.  This truck has been my biggest mistake & worst major purchase - ever.

- On-Star. (Grrrr!)
- Air bag light has been on for about a year now. Two different dealers quoted $120 to "diagnose".  (i.e. hook up a code reader... read code). I've learned to ignore it.

- BOTH rear quarter panels, dead center above rear wheels have rusted-though. This is due to an unfilled seam between the welds of the inside and outside panels. There is a foam baffle in-between the panels that would wick up moisture, and rust out the panels from the INSIDE out. There is only one fix. Cut out the bad sections, rebuild, and fill with lots of bond-o. Re-paint.  (fyi.."perfect match - paint" should be re-named to "kinda close - paint".

In the last month:

And GUESS what have have now!!  Passlock (SECURITY) light pops on -- when driving. So this weekend I get the pleasure of bypassing this "feature" before it disables the truck completely.

So would I buy another AV -- or GM product? Not even at half price! GM policy, and the dealers themselves, have lost my respect.  I'm not sure they care either. For now, they are making a mint off me in replacement part costs, and i'm quite sure they counted on all this "additional income" when they build the car. 

Sorry for all your problems but your truck is 9 years old!! Your Avalanche being the first generation, one can expect parts to fail and wear out!! My Suggestion would be to look into upgrading to a newer year of Avalanche!! I am on my second Avalanche!! I have not had any MAJOR repairs yet!! But when that time comes well I be ready!! Sorry that this Avalanche has given you a bad rap!! I hope something will change for the better in te future!!  :thumbsup:
2011 Camaro 1LT Victory Red w/Rally Stripes, Spoiler, 19" Polished Rims(current)
2010 Z71 Sheer Metalic Silver-Loaded!!!!-20" AR Rims, tinted all around, black bowties, and Corsa Sport exhaust.(Traded for above)
2008 LS Silver Birch(traded for above)
2006 Silverado(Dad's truck now)
2003 Malibu(traded for above)

avz66

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • AV - AHOLIC!!!
« Reply #84 on: 05/19/11 11:01 PM »

8 years and 66,000 miles and no problems
9 years at 72,400 just had the u joint done
2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,106,000 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door

7-13-15 stage 4 cancer

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #85 on: 05/20/11 12:03 AM »

PEACE OUT please
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

PerfectReign

« Reply #86 on: 05/20/11 07:15 AM »

yeah, you probably are

*plonk*

ms38w

• I AM the Scorpion
    • Scorpion Cigar Reviews
« Reply #87 on: 05/20/11 10:06 AM »

[/quote]

I spent $40 grand in one year repairing mine...I'm not complaining other than I still had to finish up the work that was paid for. :E: :E:
<br />\\\\\\\'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...<br />408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.

scottzilla

« Reply #88 on: 05/20/11 11:29 AM »

My 2007 has me paying for repairs while making payments on my truck. Not good. Brakes should not fail at 19000 and the stupid vent solenoid should not fail at 30000. In both cases the dealer has told me to go pound sand. gM dealers have abandoned their customers big time.  The ones that are still in business that is. 
I will not buy another GM vehicle.  I have no faith that my 07 will give me years of trouble free miles.  I'd love to sell it and get a Pathfinder.

Flint4x4

« Reply #89 on: 05/28/11 02:09 AM »

I was trouble free for years but problems are mounting on my low miles '04
Still nothing major, age plus Michigan weather take thier toll

- tailgate lock sticking
- rattle from sunroof, (haven't found a cause yet)
- both front door window regulator/motor assembly
- replaced all 4 rotors/brake pads (rusted away with little over 30k)
- IP cluster inop
- driver seat heater
- side mirror defroster
- thermostat sticking (intermitant dummy light)
- I think I need a hub right front, noise when braking
« Last Edit: 11/09/11 12:51 AM by Flint4x4 »
'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016

stoddard

« Reply #90 on: 06/30/11 01:41 PM »

I have the same problem with my 2005 the gauges, radio, air go off and then back on, also at times the engine will start  for a second then quit. does replacing the ignition switch work as suggested.

Since the previous post the local dealer has finally figured out that it was the VCIM this controls the ONSTAR which was screwing everything up when the truck sat out in the sun and got hot, he just unhooked it and
i haven't had any problems since and that was 8/12/11
« Last Edit: 09/11/11 10:47 AM by stoddard »

kkn21292

« Reply #91 on: 07/21/11 04:45 AM »

While I love my Avalanche and have racked up 172K miles on it, the electrical issues are starting to be a bit much for me.  Old age issues I expected at this point, not electrical system after electrical system failing.  So far, I've had these things fail:

1) Heated seats (coils burned out)
2) Tailgate lock (clearly not electrical)
3) AC blower motor (wiring burned out)
4) Radiator fan refused to turn off (burned out wires)
5) Instrument cluster failed
6) Door locks cycled (more bad wires)
7) Radio stayed on after car turned off and key removed (and more bad wires)
8) 4-Wheel High refuses to engage
9) 4-Wheel Low will engage but refuses to disengage (have to go through the back up brake thing to get it to disengage)
10) AC will blow hot when it feels like it
11) Mysterious "bump" between 1st and 2nd gears that goes away with a 10 second restart.

Some of these things were fixed with a re-flash.  Some are still waiting to be budgeted. As a loyal Chevy girl, I really hope to fix every little thing on him and drive him for many more miles...at this point, he's part of the family.  But would I recommend a Chevy to someone else?  Not as much as I would have 5 years ago, that's for sure.

redlinez71

« Reply #92 on: 11/08/11 11:15 AM »

Do you maybe think driving it through rivers may contribute to some of your problems?

GoldBowTie

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Have you hugged your Avalanche today?
« Reply #93 on: 11/11/11 10:25 AM »

7) Radio stayed on after car turned off and key removed (and more bad wires)

It is RAP - retained accessory power.
The radio will stay on for 20 minutes, or until you turn it off, or until you open the door, whichever comes first.
Av #1 2002 Onyx Black Z71  205 MONTHS of ownership (Oct 01 - today) and 68507 miles.
147 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

Av #3 2009 Black LTZ  67 months of ownership (Mar 13 - today) and 147322 miles.
(124594 when bought)
25 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA, IN and MI

Av #2 2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS of ownership (Sep 11 - Mar 13) and 9302 miles added.
(101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
19 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV

dragonslayer

« Reply #94 on: 11/18/11 11:42 AM »

Got 4 problems less 1 yr own av.
1.  water leak into driverside.....not fix yet
2.  oil pressure pump sensor.....fix
3.  leak brake fluid.......fix
4.  vibrate during 65mph.......not fix yet

dragonslayer

« Reply #95 on: 11/18/11 11:45 AM »

I want to see how many members have had or continue to have problems with the Avalanche that just persist. I for one have had problems pretty much since I picked it up fro the dealer. I had both side mirrors replaced 1 month after I bought my AV because the heaters were broken. Then I had to have my sunroof replaced 3 months later, which ended up taking 3 service visits, first to determine the problem, next to replace it, and lastly to fix the leak in the headliner the same day that it was replaced. Next I had a knocking/vibrating noise in the front passenger side engine compartment. It took 6 service visits just to determine that it was the A/C hoses, after they ended up replacing or moving just about everything else on the truck. This is when I should have brought the lemon law against the dealer, but didn't because I liked my AV too much and didn't want to have to wait for my dealer to find another one exactly the same. However I continued to have problems; I have replaced 4 rotors/8 pads in the rear and 2 rotors/4 pads in the front. I had to replace both sides of the DRL/Fog lamp housing once(each) due to them foging up on the inside, an dhad to replace the bulbs each time because the dealer replaced them with their stock bulbs. Had to replace the rear window, because of the plastic strip around it being split. I replaced stock bumper with SOR bumper last November due to snow plow incident. Now have to replace 2 PCMs and Idler/Pitman arms. So I think that my replacement parts list is starting to catch up to my mods list in terms of price.

So please post up, I am interested to see who has had what problems, and I am sure that some one has had either the same or similar problems and some member has got to have had more then myself.

-James. roters seem to last 20000miles then they warp vibration at 65mph check cup in univercial joint may be spinning

dragonslayer

« Reply #96 on: 11/18/11 11:48 AM »

love my avalanche have many problems your roters are they warping i replace mine every 20000 miles i had viberation around 65mph found bearing cup spinning rear drive shaft yoke

TEKTITE

• Black tie
    • TEKTITE/TEKNA
« Reply #97 on: 12/03/11 11:46 PM »

I bought my 02 2500 back in Nov.01.  2 big issues- locking rear gear carrier replaced 3 times during warranty period, still broken. And at 151k miles, one of the roller lifters in the 8.1 seized, eating the cam lobe. This last required a used replacement engine (less money than a repair). Since then, I've had multiple ongoing problems with sensors, so I've gotten real chummy with my mechanic.

Now have 166k mi., and have spent $8k for the last 15k mi.  I've had many repairs over the years, but I consider most of them maintenance. I use my truck for both work & play, and have never had a previous truck that can fit 5 adults comfortably for a weekend ski trip, then haul 3,000lbs. of steel on Monday, and go to a black-tie dinner/valet parking on Tuesday, with the panache of my AV.

I was disappointed when the 2500 was discontinued, and now it looks like the AV model is in it's last years, all before my FIRST one is worn out.

Some items I've repaired myself ("eeasssy fix") are the tailgate lock (30 min), drivers window regulator (2 hr), Front hubs (1 hr), plastic-weld RR cladding panel that was torn off & run over in an accident (1 hour)(shoulda' seen the poor Honda-whole front bumper shell torn off!).

Right now, I'd like to know what the fix is for the sagging/bowing #1 bed cover panel. I've tried searching this forum, but can't find any details other then a reference to one. Can anyone point me to it?

And does anyone have an 06 2500 they'd like to sell? :laugh:
Blue '02 2500 4x4, bought in '01, now w/185K miles. When I want good mileage I use my '95 Mustang GT convertible at 15 mpg :laugh:

CrazyCanuck

« Reply #98 on: 06/03/12 08:40 AM »

Within in the last 2 months I had to get 2 new tires,  upper and lower ball joints on both sides, oil gasket was leaking so had to replace it,  power steering was leaking,  andand it all started 500km over warranty FML lol.

Syzzlak

• Car Domain
« Reply #99 on: 12/11/12 03:55 PM »

Bought my Lanche in May 2012, it is a 2002.  My brake lines spilt, but they are aftermarket extended so not Chevy factory items.  My sunroof has been acting up, getting stuck open and not moving, needs to be oiled and just reset, but I still had to strip the headliner and interior pieces-royal pain.  Also sometimes the digital odometer/PNDR selector disappears randomly, I give it a quick "Fonzie" and it comes back though.  Other than that I haven't had that many problems that I haven't created myself.  Its been a good truck.
2002 North Face sage green 1500 4wd, 12" Bulletproof Susp w/6 FOX shocks 3" body, 39.5x15.5 TrXus STS on 20" Weld Racing, paint match cladding, Stealth Off-Road winch bumper w/9K MileMarker hydro winch & PIAAs, Confer rack w/PIAAS

bballski

« Reply #100 on: 03/14/14 11:10 PM »

Have had multiple problems.  2010 Ava. 6 speed 5.3L
I am on my 4th battery. I'm not sure how everything is supposed to work, but here goes.
1. In the AM driver side mirror is fogged but the passenger side is dry and clear.??
2. When changing from defrost or to mix the temperature setting changes.  Is there a default temp setting that it resets to if there is a short or disconnect of battery or power?
3. Engine compartment hood light goes out.
4. Like all my Chevy's a running light goes out (right side and left side).
5. 6 speed -- When slowing down from 10-15 mph  and removing my foot from the throttle to the brake the trans. seems to jump or skip a gear and the truck seems like it accelerates slightly.  It is not the throttle , but the transmission jumping or skipping gears, when it should be coasting.  It is the worst as I travel up hill where I need to use the throttle, then release the pedal and start to coast, then the truck jumps slightly. The dealer says he doesn't feel it.  Drove same year Yukon 6 speed and doesn't jump.
6. Another annoying thing is there is no manuel lock unlock on the tailgate any more.  So when my battery went dead I couldn't get to my jumper battery.
7. The placement of the doorlocks on the flat of the window and door opener is bad. I have accidentally set my palm on the door lock while getting out of the car on more than one occasion, because of the placement of the lock.  I am aware so I am careful ,but passengers have done the same unknowingly and lock the keys in the car.
8. The gas fill tube makes the gas hose shut off after a few seconds making me hold the gas nozzle at a sideways position to keep filling. This after the dealer loosened the tube.  Before it would only fill at a slow rate with me holding the nozzle. Very annoying in the rain and wind.
9. Had to replace door weatherstripping on driver side that kept coming off.
10. Lumbar air bag didn't fill.  Dealer fixed it but it barely fills still.
11. Added 2 quarts of oil between last oil changes. 3/--/14.  Added one more quart since last oil change and am at 56% still.  Been using oil since purchased vehicle
12. Is there a timer shut off for cigarette lighter, plugs?
13. Very little adjustment to auto driverside rear view mirror.
14.  Very little range on key fob.  Maybe 20-30 feet.  Must stand near car in rain to use auto engine start feature, because must be close to car.
15. Mileage is usually 11-16 mpg. 
3/14/14

mavericknj

• CAFCNA 2016 Premium Member
  • As the Avy goes rolling along
« Reply #101 on: 07/15/14 01:59 PM »

Brought it used, one previous owner, but he did not keep up with the service and maintenance. With 90K plus, I went thru the entire truck at a cost of about $3500.00 (parts and labor). Replacing battery, shocks, struts, brakes (complete), alternator, belts, hoses, filters, fuses, relays, tires (to include spare), 1 new rim for the spare. Complete fluid exchange and flush (trans, oil, hydraulic, steering, coolant and diff). Also replaced the instrument cluster due gauges not operating properly. My point being nothing last forever, especially a vehicle. Each vehicle has a different TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). Automakers since the 80's have designed their vehicles only to last so long before the cost of maintenance and repair become prohibitive to keep on the road. I know of owners that have dogged their vehicles in the ground, while some baby them to death.  Ladies and gentlemen - A old saying comes to mind: "You only get out - What you put in". If you buy a new vehicle today, get an extended warranty based on your driving style no what's cheap. If you are buying a used vehicle, check it out, do your homework, and ask the question why it is for sale? I brought a Saturn Vue with CTI tranny. It ran fine for 4 years then it died, a replacement were going for 5K and no warranty. Totally cost prohibitive to fix or replace. Check your state's lemon laws, keep on top of you service manager, get a second or third opinion. It is frustrating on so many levels that US Automakers unfairly balance the longevity of their products vs the consumers. The Avalanche overall is one of the best vehicle designs (based on trucks) to come out in years.

Many items can be fixed, few people know the correct procedures and indicators get it right the first time.
13, LTZ Black, Sunroof,  DVD, Bose Stereo (w/rear ent),  Leather/Pwr Seats, Pewter Gray Interior, K&N Air Filter, Edge Evolution (CTS),  20 Rims, WeatherTech Floor Mats, 145 amp Altenator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 23 queries.