• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Who Has Had The Most Problems With Their AV

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I want to see how many members have had or continue to have problems with the Avalanche that just persist. I for one have had problems pretty much since I picked it up fro the dealer. I had both side mirrors replaced 1 month after I bought my AV because the heaters were broken. Then I had to have my sunroof replaced 3 months later, which ended up taking 3 service visits, first to determine the problem, next to replace it, and lastly to fix the leak in the headliner the same day that it was replaced. Next I had a knocking/vibrating noise in the front passenger side engine compartment. It took 6 service visits just to determine that it was the A/C hoses, after they ended up replacing or moving just about everything else on the truck. This is when I should have brought the lemon law against the dealer, but didn't because I liked my AV too much and didn't want to have to wait for my dealer to find another one exactly the same. However I continued to have problems; I have replaced 4 rotors/8 pads in the rear and 2 rotors/4 pads in the front. I had to replace both sides of the DRL/Fog lamp housing once(each) due to them foging up on the inside, an dhad to replace the bulbs each time because the dealer replaced them with their stock bulbs. Had to replace the rear window, because of the plastic strip around it being split. I replaced stock bumper with SOR bumper last November due to snow plow incident. Now have to replace 2 PCMs and Idler/Pitman arms. So I think that my replacement parts list is starting to catch up to my mods list in terms of price.

So please post up, I am interested to see who has had what problems, and I am sure that some one has had either the same or similar problems and some member has got to have had more then myself.

-James.

I've had to take my truck into the dealer to fix my driver side window that leaked, fix the ignition, fix the wind deflector on the sunroof because it wouldn't come up, fix the thing you pull back on the sunroof because it ripped, replace the tailgate cabels, and then fix the driver side window that still leaks!!

Just to through in a positive note- I bought my truck used with 38,000 miles on it. I bought it from the dealer that sold it new and it was a one owner truck. The first owner had all service and warranty work done at that dealership. So it seemed logical to me to ask for the warranty records and they were happy to look it up for me.

My AV will turn over 50,000 this weekend. To the best of my knowledge all it has had done to it other than service work is:

parking brake shoes
1 drl (before I changed to ambers)
tailgate lock repaired

All were done under warranty. It's DOB is 6/01 which some say the early ones had "bugs" that had to be worked out. It has to be one of the earliest ones.

I don't want to step on any toes just share my trucks history.

Bob

I wouldn't really call this a contest, and I am not bragging either, in reality I wish that I never had any problems with my Avalanche. I really think that all the problems that occured with my Avalanche in the first year were dealer caused. It seems that everytime I left the lot, another problem arose driving away. The sunroof for instance was a factory defect, I just opened it up it went all the way back, and then would not close when I pused the button. I still have a whole list of small problems that have not been fixed, but I don't want to go to the dealer that I bought it from, because I have a horrible relationship with them now, so I go out to eastern MA, to a dealer that I went to for an oil change and started a great relationship with. So I really refuse to have it done anywhere else, even if it means that I would have to drive over 200miles to just get a headlight replacement. That is how much I care about my AV.

Again, THIS IS NOT A CONTEST.

-James. :cool:

One problem..in 3 years...

The cracked rear window trim fixed under warranty.....

I can't really say mine was the earliest, I know its DOB was in October 2001. I kinda think of it this way, I got the "Black Sheep" of the bunch. And isn't it ironic my AV is even black. Maybe if I got a White Av, I wouldn't have had any problems. I do think it is time for a color change for me. The deal with my Av was that my father helped me out with the down payment, because my credt was $h!t at the time I got it, and basically I let him pick the color. I am not saying that I don't like black, but I would rather of gotten a SOM or FG.
Sorry for going way off topic here.

I just noticed my rear window trim is cracked. So what the repair bill if not under warranty?

I also have the following wrong that hasn't been replaced since no longer under warranty.

1) Both mirrors
2) Under Hood Lamp
3) Foglamp housings
4) Front Bumber Cover and Right side foglamp bracket (Fight with an X-mas tree)
5)Rightside Taillight (Fight with a gang of mailboxes)

I bought my Av used in November 03 with 4900 miles on it from a Chevy dealer. I can honestly say the only real problems I have had are the cargo covers leaking and the popping sound in the front end when turning. All the other problems were from mods that weren't exactly right on first install. DAMN GOOD TRUCK IF YOU ASK ME! (y)

I've had a few problems in the first 30,000 miles. My Av's DOB is 12/01.

Both fog lights replaced due to moisture

Cladding replaced twice due to partial detachment

Front grill bow tie replaced due to delamination

Shock bushings replaced due to god-awful squeaking

While there have been a few repairs, I don't consider them major, and the Av has never left me stranded. I'm hoping the next 30,000 miles are carefree! I'd rather spend money on mods than repairs.

Tator, No. 2 & No. 3 shouldn't be that hard to fix, if the underhood lamp is just blown, you could replace the bulb, and if the foglamp housing needs to be replaced, it is probably a cheap replacement from the dealer. The front bumper cover and bumper, I have both, my bumper cover hasa couple of cracks on the passenger side from a snow plow that didn't know how to steer. Otherwise I know there are members out there wanting to get rid of their bumper covers. No. 5, will probably be more expensive than the fog lamp housing, but no more than $60, if that. No. 1 is the most expensive mod. That is $1300, and even if your Av is out of warranty the dealer should fix the window under warranty because it is a factory defect.

KY_BOB said:
All were done under warranty. It's DOB is 6/01 which some say the early ones had "bugs" that had to be worked out. It has to be one of the earliest ones.

On my '02 born 06/01/01 the foglamp/DRL housings leaked when I drove it thru a high pressure car wash for the first time this year. One problem in 3 years. Dealer replaced but I traded it for a loaded '04 Z71 I saw while there.

Well I have had my 03 since January of 03 and I have about 40K on it by now. I have had several problems:

1. Left rear caliper snapped in two- brake system inop
2. 4wd message (adjusted several times)
3. replace radio
4 replace dash cluster
5. replace altenator and battery
6. replace tailgate latch and hinges
7. replace left foglight
8. sagging #3 panel (dealer won't replace)
9. replace front bumper cover
10.replace rearview mirror and outside air temp sender
11. Heater AC fan resistor replaced
12 Shocks completely worn out at 30K (no offroad)

I called Chevy and attempted to get an extention to the original warrannty and then attempted to get a meeting with the local GM rep. I was told through the dealership that he would not even return my call and that he refused to speak with me as my problems were not "that bad" I absolutely love the truck - but there have been lots of little nagging problems and my warranty is about to expire....

\

Got 4 problems less 1 yr own av.
1. water leak into driverside.....not fix yet
2. oil pressure pump sensor.....fix
3. leak brake fluid.......fix
4. vibrate during 65mph.......not fix yet

ygmn said:
One problem..in 3 years...

The cracked rear window trim fixed under warranty.....
I bought my '02 Av used about three weeks ago. The day I picked it up, I noticed the rear window trim was cracked. I questioned it, was told I could have the window out of a used North Face. That one was worse and the dealer said GM wouldn't cover it. Are they just yanking me? Based on the few I've just read, GM will cover this? I had the window out last night and noticed it has gotten worse. Should I demand the dealer replace this? I don't think I have to wait for a new one since they were considering giving me one off a new Av. Your opinions and suggestions are requested.

Let's see ............

1. Shorted wiring in drivers power seat drained the battery.
2. Partial cladding release - used moulding tape to fix for now - waiting for next dealer visit.
3. Cluster replacement due to noisy tach and fuel gauge fault.
4. Dealer installed puzzle-lock lug nuts stripped during tire rotation - they're gone now!
5. Auto dimming mirror changing in daylight - moved wiring behind mirror.

In all, relatively minor stuff in 16 months and 40,000 kms. Still the best vehicle I have ever owned!

I don't have too many problems but I think I win with the earliest problem.

2 Weeks into the truck and the Fuel Pump breaks. 4 days later (Special order part) I get the car back.

I may have the most serious problem. My airbag system disables and the service airbag light comes on. Has happend 3 times and they replaced the whole airbag system last week. But guess what happens, the airbag system disables again and I took it to my dealer yesterday. The last time they had my Av for THREE WEEKS to fix the airbags. I had their rental silverado for that whole time had some serious fun >:D with it (burn outs and such). Now they give me an 05 trailblazer. I'm getting the truck declaired a lemon and are in negotiations for an 04 black Z66 Av. They had it delievered to the dealerchip and liked it and hopefully I'll be able to get it.

Second problem was the shifter cable breaking and the dealer tried to blaim it on me. But that didn't work because I called the rep from GM and they picked up the tab. I love that lady from GM.

No problems here but I am noticing that with all the issues listed.... Evryone still loves their AV

Is this kinda like getting cut off on the freeway and because it's a HOT CHIC it's all O.K.?

Back