• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

catbacks or cold air intake?

It all depends on what kind of money you want to spend. I think you should do both at the same time, but if you're choosing between the two I would go with the catback exhaust.

I did my Volant Cold Air Intake first and it gave me a big improvement in power and especially in MPG. I will say that catbacks are fun and if you want some rumbling then get a Flowmaster >:D, but if you want something that will sound nice over time then get a Magnaflow. (y)

-James. :cool:

The only problem with a drop in K&N filter is that it is not a true Cold Air Intake, and neither is the K&N kit for that matter.

-James. :cool:

I've modded my airbox so I have a "quasi" cold air box. I cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox and metal mounting plate, then added a 3" 90-degree plumbing coupler pointing toward the front of the truck. I covered the front of the plumbing coupler with metal screen to keep the bugs, leaves, and other such things out. Total cost was about $10.

Some homemade cold air intakes perform just the same as name brand kits if not better. I like your style BIG TOY. After all the intakes I saw I liked the volant system. All that air coming in through the intake and the manifolds is still being restricted by that factor muffler that's why I say do both at the same time, but in my opinion if I had to choose I would go with the exhaust first.

I will tell you that I started with the a k&N FIPK II and was impressed on how well it did open up the engine. I would do that first because it truely is the easiest, do not go with the drop in K&N filter you really will not see much in the change. Just remember if you do only the cheapest mods you really are not going to see a drastic improvement in performance! The things that I highly recomend is a Cold air intake, an exaust system and then get a predator programmer and have a custom file made for it!!

Just my ,2 Cents
Squatch

Back