Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/28/14 09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tailgate keeps "popping" open?  (Read 5271 times)
BAT

Someday....

Awards
« on: 08/07/04 05:09 PM »

I've done a search and couldn't find a thread about this. Has anyone else had their tailgate pop open while driving down the road? It has now happened to me several times.  banghead banghead The first few times I thought I didn't close it all the way,  goofy goofy so I get out and "slam" it shut.  veryveryangry I was on my way home tonight and it did it again. Scared the s@%t out of me, again!  veryangry I did have it open this morning as I was cleaning my Av and was sure to "slam" it shut. With the recall of the cables, which mine have not been replaced as of yet, my other concern is additional damage to the gate. Any suggestions, not going to weld or screw it shut as some may suggest, would be greatly appreciated.  Kiss

White 2002 Z71: GONE!!

replaced with: 2004 Mercedes Benz C320 4 matic GONE!!

replaced with: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
icechef

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/04 05:19 PM »

Mine will do it pretty often...only solution I have found is to keep it locked. With the replacement cost of the hard covers, I figure it's a good idea anyway.

2002 North Face Edition SGM, Westin bull bar, Piaa 520's,On board Quickair2, Hypertec, Flowmaster 70, Optima Red Top, Rancho 9000's
BAT

Someday....

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/04 05:37 PM »

That's true. I actually just found a thread about the same problem. A few had the gate fall off. I'll try to lock it and see if that works.

msdinsp
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

I Love My Avalanche & the USA

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 08/07/04 05:48 PM »

adjust the latches

'07, LT3, just started modding, rear window glasscape, bedslide, Line of Fire, Westin Bullbar, Bugshield, window vent visors, hard wired radar detector, 100 Watt driving lights, black rubber floor mats, LTZ console, molded splash guards. Debadged, then rebadged with patriotic decals(bowtie, Chevrolet on tailgate, Avalanche on doors). Train Horns! 2.5" leveling kit & 3"body lift
More to come for sure!
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/04 05:49 PM »

you need to adjust the strikes.  they are located on the left and right side of the bed when tailgate is open.  to do this the tail lights need to be removed.  the screws on the inside of the bed by the tail lights will allow them to come out.  you will need a torx bit to turn the strike, and a wrench to hold the nut on the opposite end.  if the tailgate keeps dropping open, then the strikes need to be moved toward the rear of the truck slightly.  this will allow the latches on the tailgate to completely lock around the strike.
   try this...  close the tailgate the way you normally do.  pull firmly on the left, and then the right corners.  if the latch does not completely lock that side of the tailgate will open.
   when you adjust the strikes remember to move them a little at a time.  tighten them.  then close the tailgate firmly.  pull corners again.  i had to do this once.  it solved my problems.  good luck.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
BAT

Someday....

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/07/04 05:52 PM »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot in the morning and let ya know.

tonufun

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 10/03/04 06:51 PM »

Had this problem.  Took it to the dealer and let them adjust the strikes.  No more problems.  They had no idea what I was talking about until I refered to our website.

02 SUNSET ORANGE Z-71 1500 5.3, BOUGHT NEW.  Keystone Ram Air hood with air intake system, Magnaflow 12590 muffler, Granatelli mass air sensor
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/03/04 09:41 PM »

sometimes the people you deal with at the dealers are not always the sharpest people.  makes me wonder sometimes. Huh
« Last Edit: 10/03/04 09:41 PM by PUNISHER » Logged

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
IB Mike
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Californication

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/04/04 08:39 AM »

Mine did it once, on my 24 hr test drive. Scared the *(&%&^$ out of me!!

I am sure mine was from me not shutting it hard enough, but it definitely sounds like you have a problem. As said above, if you have a good dealer, take in and let them fool with it. If you don't, just adjust it yourself.

Good luck!

USAF CMSgt (E-9)

04 ONYX BLACK 1500 Z71
MODS: MAAP Challenger steps, mag light, extinguisher, LOF, Auto Trim Designs patriotic theme decals (Z71/windshield/door/tailgate letters), sail panel LEDs, red neon, 2 4' red, white, & blue FireStiks, Flowmaster SUPER 40, dual batteries, custom AF bowtie, tint, 2 Orion 10s under back seat w/ 500W Hifonics Apollo Son of Boltar amp...
Uesque

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 10/04/04 08:51 AM »

What is the purpose of the sheet metal hooks on the tailgate?  They don't line up with anything, and only appear to be there to snag my shorts.
« Last Edit: 10/04/04 08:55 AM by Uesque » Logged

ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 10/04/04 10:00 AM »

What is the purpose of the sheet metal hooks on the tailgate?  They don't line up with anything, and only appear to be there to snag my shorts.

they are supposed to have littel rubber triangle bumpers mounted on them to help prevent tailgate from vibrating when closed...

Many have lost them....way back in this section are some threads of peeps losing theirs and ripping pants/shorts.....

I think someone got p/n but not sure as memory is fading fast

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
JoeSpicoli
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

There will always be Avs and Av nots; I'm an Av.

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: 10/04/04 10:33 AM »

ygmn has right!  One thread:

Rubber Tailgate Things

Here is a pic from the thread (pdxkevin posted the pic originally):

And moondogger posted:
They cost $3.38 each at gmpartsdirect.com, part # 16640464.

But I'm having mine done under warranty (as soon as the Armor-dillo stuff comes in).  And I'm gonna glue/epoxy/weld/duct tape/bailing wire Tongue those darn things on this time!   idea

Good luck!

-Joe

firemanbill

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/04 08:21 AM »

While installing my power tailgate lock, i had the handle portion of the tailgate off, when i reinstalled everything, the tailgate could pull open with my hand. I figured i had adjusted the adjusters on the arms going to the handle too tight, so i gave them a little more slack, and everthing works good, havent ever had my tailgate just fly open.

04' Black Z-71, loaded with everything except leather. Added hella airhorns,18" Helo Maxx6 Black wheels, painted lower cladding, bedslide, wade window deflectors, gm hood protector, mudflaps, five banger enclosure, JL 500/1, dyno-locks power tailgate lock, stainless door handle covers, billet gas cover,chrome overlay lettering, emergency led lighting by SHO-ME, new toy on the bumper 2004 Seadoo RXP 215 supercharged HP 4 stroke.......water rocket!!!!!!
Rootman
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

** what a pretty little thing! **

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10/10/04 08:51 AM »

Man, happened to me a few times when not locked. Scarry veryveryangry Now, I dread unlocking my tail gate because then I can't lock it! It takes me 5 to 10 minutes playing arounf to get it to lock. banghead What should I do, HELP! banghead
AVid
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 10/10/04 08:55 AM »

Man, happened to me a few times when not locked. Scarry veryveryangry Now, I dread unlocking my tail gate because then I can't lock it! It takes me 5 to 10 minutes playing arounf to get it to lock. banghead What should I do, HELP! banghead

The tailgate won't lock because one or both of the strikers are out of adjustment. Adjust the strikers as described by Punisher earlier in this thread. (reply #4)
« Last Edit: 10/10/04 08:56 AM by AVid » Logged
I CHNGE
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Always Modding the Mod !!!

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 10/10/04 09:04 AM »

The tailgate won't lock because one or both of the strikers are out of adjustment. Adjust the strikers as described by Punisher earlier in this thread. (reply #4)

As stated by Avid...it is right here...

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=155;action=display;threadid=31524;start=msg496137#msg496137

'04OnyxBlackZ71-4.10G80
Ordered11/05/03Born11/24/03Adopted12/15/03
XP-797BlackSpy18X9+325/60/18 Nitto T/Gs
Rancho Lift- w/9000XL shocks
Dual YellowTop Batteries
Strobes-FTAmbers-All4+FogOnHigh-885Fog-
PIAA 9006+PRO 80XT+60XT
SamcoHoses-Bumper+TailLightGuards
NFabNerfs-VRBars-Chrome AMP FuelDoor-DiamondPlateSteps
PlatinumCluster-AVICN1-BackUpCam-& more...
Just Do It!
Chevalanche

Louisiana Chapter Mascot

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 10/10/04 09:26 AM »

you need to adjust the strikes.  they are located on the left and right side of the bed when tailgate is open.  to do this the tail lights need to be removed.  the screws on the inside of the bed by the tail lights will allow them to come out.  you will need a torx bit to turn the strike, and a wrench to hold the nut on the opposite end.  if the tailgate keeps dropping open, then the strikes need to be moved toward the rear of the truck slightly.  this will allow the latches on the tailgate to completely lock around the strike.
   try this...  close the tailgate the way you normally do.  pull firmly on the left, and then the right corners.  if the latch does not completely lock that side of the tailgate will open.
   when you adjust the strikes remember to move them a little at a time.  tighten them.  then close the tailgate firmly.  pull corners again.  i had to do this once.  it solved my problems.  good luck.

yea, what he said thumbs_up

2005 Dark Blue Mettalic LS. 20" GM wheels, sunroof, assist steps, vent visors, bug sheild, trailer hitch,lights in both storage compartments,underhood light, with  no stabilitrak and with  homelink transmitter.
Chevalanche

Louisiana Chapter Mascot

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 10/10/04 09:26 AM »

sometimes the people you deal with at the dealers are not always the sharpest people.  makes me wonder sometimes. Huh

yea, what he said!!!!!!!

2005 Dark Blue Mettalic LS. 20" GM wheels, sunroof, assist steps, vent visors, bug sheild, trailer hitch,lights in both storage compartments,underhood light, with  no stabilitrak and with  homelink transmitter.
LakeFX
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

See the U.S.A. in a Chevrolet!

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 03/29/09 11:28 PM »

Another vote for adjusting the strikers.  Tailgate opened a couple of times, once at the "stealership".  The GM Goodwrench guys put white grease on the latches.  This helped a little, but when the handle was pulled, it opened way too easy.  Yesterday, it wouldn't shut.  Long story short, saw "rings" where the strikers had been positioned, but had moved forward.  Readjusted strikers, pulling 'em back...good to go.
 Thumbs up!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
hitmeon20

Loving the 9 MPG!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 04/03/09 04:41 PM »

Your Avitar is identical to my 03 2500 som! NICE Can I get that download link?

2003 2500 series, SOM, loaded with every option that year, 3" magnaflow exaust, front hitch, 74k miles! SOLD 11/3/12
ColoAvZ71

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 04/03/09 06:36 PM »

Mine has fallen open a few times, I really have to slam it pretty good especially in cold weather to get it to stay shut.  The passanger side is the side that I have noticed that doesn't latch all the time I'm have to try to adjust this weekend
woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/04/09 09:07 AM »

Same problem, the latches won't click in place when the tailgate is closed. A bit of WD-40 on the tension springs where the latches are helps somewhat. I unbolted the latch housing on either side of the tailgate so that I can get some more movement to wiggle in the wd-40. I'd take the tailgate apart but can't figure that out. Right now its good but I still pull on either end when the gate is up, to be sure the latches have engaged. If you have to slam it to shut it, that's a sign of a problem for sure.

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: