• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Owner with Questions

wmiles

I have had my Avalanche about 1 month and there are a couple of things I have noticed and was wondering if other avalanche owners may be experiencing the same thing.

1. On the highway, the truck seems to have a slight tendency to want to wander. It seems like I have to consistently input steering corrections that seem excessive for a new vehicle.

2. I have noticed the trucks brakes seem a bit "wimpy" and require more than normal amount of pressure to bring the truck to a halt.

3. There seems to be an elusive rattle or looseness of some part of the interior from the passenger side, front and back.

If you have noticed or experienced these problems I would appreciate your response. I am trying to figure if these issues are a consistent trait among other owners. thanks.

As for steering....mine seems to track fine but I have a 2002....look in the problem: steering & drivetrain section for other posts on this subject

for brakes...may I suggest...trying to see what the stopping distance is from say 60 mph and comparing to what we have listed in the resource page....some say they feel muchy but they still stop the truck pretty quickly...also check our problem: brake section

For rattles they are hard to troubleshoot over the forums...but check the problem: interior section to see if some others have posted about a similar noise and have the solution....most have atrributed sounds in the front passenger compartment from strange enough stuff in the glove box

good luck and welcome to the club

Re: braking

Do you have adjustable pedals? Are you tall so that they are all the way forward?

There is an issue with the accelerator not traveling 100% under that condition (symptom is no kickdown/sluggish acceleration).

I don't recall if braking has a similar problem, but its an easy thing to check. And I think Chevy seems to have a general problem with wimpy brakes.

Re: wander. I'd have the alignment checked. Should be a warranty item.

I had not owned a truck for years when I bought my '0o2 Avalanche. It seemed to wander like you state. I changed the sway end link bushings to those hard plastic ones that you can buy ar AutoZone and it helped. I think I also got use to it.

Butch

wmiles said:
I have had my Avalanche about 1 month and there are a couple of things I have noticed and was wondering if other avalanche owners may be experiencing the same thing.

1. On the highway, the truck seems to have a slight tendency to want to wander. It seems like I have to consistently input steering corrections that seem excessive for a new vehicle

I had a new 03, had had the same wanderin problem, took it in to dealer for alignment, realigned it, and it was fine, no more wanderin.

All these issues are abnormal and should be addressed to your service dept (y)

Back