• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

REAR WINDOW SEAL CRACK!!!!

WesWade

I have a 02 Avalanche, about 6 months ago I noticed a 1/8" crack on the bottom passenger side of the rear window plastic molding. Today I noticed 6" of water under the back seat. I have never had a water leak until now. What I am trying to do is find others whom have had this same Window molding Crack problem, WARRANTY or NON WARRANTY. According to my local dealer " Jon Hall Chevrolet " they have never heard or seen any such problem with the AV's. But Reading posts about other leaks and warped moldings shows that Chevy has problems whether they choose to admit them or not. Since I have 60k miles it is not warrantied therefor I have to shell out $740.00 for a new window, So far $1.99 for a roll of duct tape. I am hoping that there are others out there with this problem either warranty or Non-Warranty. Hopefully if I can find enough people with this Cracking problem then maybe we can force Chevy to Replace them at no charge and hopefully refund anyone who has had to pay out the ridiculous price and maybe get them to foot the bill for the mold clean up in mine and others.. Any information and vin numbers would be great so I can yell my opinions to Chevy. :E:

I have the same problem. My dealer is replacing it this week. My warranty has already expired. It's a known problem to GM on the '02. Try a search, I started the same thread and got alot of help. Good luck.

I only have 29,500 miles though!!!! I just noticed you have 60,000. I would still try. Contact GM directly if you have to.

Normally this is covered under factory warranty, but unless you have an extended warranty you are probably SOL. There was a TSB (technical service bullitan) issued by chevy on this for the 2002 model year. You can try to sweet talk the dealer with this info. There should be copies or links to this TSB in the forums. Good Luck.

It was not a TSB

Service VME - Midgate Glass Encapsulation Cracking Condition #PI00490 - (09/23/2002)
Service VME -- Midgate Glass Encapsulation Cracking Condition.

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME
Based on field input, customer comments of midgate glass leaks and or frame fractures are still being reported. Any truck build prior to 10/30/2001 may be suspect of a midgate glass encapsulation cracking condition. Service Parts Operations currently has removable midgate glass with new encapsulation material that will prevent cracks from occurring.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

SpottyJ said:
Also, check out this thread. Lots of good info here. (I have found that just about every topic I have conceived of has been discussed in the forum before, and a forum search will usually yield good results.)

HTH.

Regards,

SpottyJ

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=154;action=display;threadid=4418;start=msg302139#msg302139

Thanks... I did a search of window crack and nothing came up, so that's why I posted a new topic. I went to the link which printed in text only is 49 pages. I sat on hold with Chevy forever.. finally got someone and they told me its out of warranty so its not covered....
I printed all 49 pages and will be dropping them off to my dealer. apparently mileage is not a factor on this problem, age is. someone with 17k miles and his is cracking, mine just gets used even with me having 4 vehicles and a motorcycle I put a combined 100k each year so I get my use.

thanks I will post my results once I submit all 49 pages of info..

I had to replace mine just before my warranty expired, however the dealer that I bought it from wouldn't do it, I had to go out of state to a dealer in south MA to get it replaced. You should try asking a couple different dealers if the first doesn't work out for you. I went to two dealers in MA, the first said they would have to call Chevy to get it authborized and it would take about 1 month, by that time I'd have been out of warranty, but luckily I knew about this dealer out near my school and they were great, they didn't give me any $hit and didn't make me jump through any hoops, they just ordered it(only took a week) and immediately replaced it within 30mins. I kinda wish they had let me keep my fist window though instead of sending it back to the factory.
However I may have a new problem, my new rear window may have cracked, I really need to look at it. If it did I am going to be pissed :8: :E:! Because then I am SOL :E:. I pray that it isn't.
Good Luck with your trip to the dealer. (y)

-James. :cool:

:E: GM is ran by a bunch of morons. After almost a week of arguing with the person whom was assigned to my complaint she informed me that GM will NOT warranty this problem. In fact the person I talked with said "I've never heard of this problem before" and of course her supervisor which refused to talk to me directly said the same. I have called three Dealers here around here in Central Florida and all have said the same also. I could not get any supervisor at my local Dealer " Jon Hall Chevyrolet " to return my phone calls and of course 2 times I attempted to see someone in person they were unavailable. 3rd attempt I just left my folder with all 49 plus pages I printed from this website about the rear window and a few notes of my own. I have yet to hear from them, hopefully soon.

I also have talked with several of my customers whom have avalanches and I have found three that have had this problem and " Jon Hall " replaced them with no problems, of course under warranty"
I deal with several attorneys, which most are family law, but they have asked me about maybe persuing a " CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT " against GM.

Anyone interested??? I feel I have nothing to loose. at this point I am out $56.00 for the dealer to tell me in 7 minutes "here's your leak problem, the window molding is cracked" "Gee I've never seen one crack before!!!!" But they sure knew to take out the window first and charge me... and of course I'll have to spend $740.00 plus tax and over $100.00 to have someone steam clean the entire molded vehicle.

That's where I'm at so far, if it wasn't for another hurricane trying to wipe out Florida again I'd been able to keep my appointment with the attorney I have been speaking with about starting some kind of action against GM. (can't get time off work, too many frantic people needing money)... Maybe it'll go and GM will think about recalling these defective windows and maybe they'll be forced to refund those of us poor bas**rds that have shelled out big bucks for their poor manufacturing.

I have owned 2, 2002's so far and both mine have cracked. 1 was in to places on the bottom and the new one is in 1 place on the bottom. Carpet, custom sub box and everything is allways wet.

Well ad my name to the list for a cracked rear window trim. You mit know I discovered it on vacation and just two weeks out of warranty. I took it in and the body shop manager said it was the first one they had seen to crack. (SURE) He wrote up some paper work and told me he would call a factory rep.
My crack is on the bottom in the center of the window, about a 1/4" wide.
They had two 02 AVs on the lot and I noticed they had a different design in the rubber seal around the rear window. Apparently the later model 02 AVs were designed different because they knew they had a problem.
I went to another lot and found a 02 White AV with a crack in the window trim just like mine. I bet there are thousands of 02s out there with cracked trim.
I haven't had any problems with my AV leaking because I alway have it parked in a garage.
There must be a hungrey attorney out there that could start a class action about this problem.

An update on my cracked rear window.
I called my dealer today and they told me, even if I was 2000 miles and 2 weeks out of warrantee they are ordering a replacement window. It should be in, in 2 weeks. I'll update everyone when it's replaced.

Roger

Just bought my 2002 with only 22,000 miles Sep 1 and noticed the split frame, lower passenger side. Examining it closely it appears to have shrunk and in so doing pulled away from not only the bottom edge but also about 8 inches up that same side. The opposing seperations match their opposites perfectly thereby eliiminating the possibility that a piece fell out. There is about 1/8" OF SHRINK AT THE TOP and a 1/2" gap JUST ABOVE THE LOWER CORNER. If I had to guess I'd say it was a bad batch of resin.

I bought it at an upscale Honda dealer in Farmington Hills, MI 30 days ago. I brought the issue to the Sales Manager's attention and said if I'd fix it myself if I was directed to use an epoxy they recommend but haven't heard back. My Chevy dealer service writer here in Lansing area seems to think it's not covered but that any plastic epoxy should work.

So far I've been pretty casual collecting opinions and thought I'd join the club and see what the common experience is on the rear window's plastic frame. Let's see who else has the same situation. P.S. I really love this truck. What a fabulous design.

RICK BECKER

For your safety and as an anti theft measure...please click on the modify button of your post and remove your VIN number from your post. Anyone with your number can have a key made and steal your AV.
Thanks...

Well my story has happy ending. I got a call last week telling me my window was in. I went in and they replaced it in 10 minutes. Nothing was said about my AV being out of warrantee they just ask if it was purchase there and it was.

Roger

Chevy does not stand behind its product!

I have fought with the Customer Service Center and local dealer to no avail. I was initially told it was covered under the extended warranty. When my wife brought the vehicle in to be inspected, all of a sudden it's not under warranty.

After talking one more time with the Customer Service Center today, I come to find out the dealer said the damage was caused by the customer, not a defect. I'm tempted to go into the dealer and show them exactly what I can do with that window!

Being in the service I have moved twice since purchasing the vehicle. Just found out there is a Bill Heard dealer about 30 min from Ft. Campbell (Purchased from Bill Heard at Ft. Benning). Will try one more time for Chevy to do the right thing. If not, I'm selling this thing and will never buy another GM vehicle again.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Apologies -
I failed to follow-up on two (2) Chevy dealer responses to the plastic pulling away from the glass, as one dealer described it. The first, Bud Kouts of Lansing: The Service Writer thought I had pulled in to have my tailgate cables replaced and promptly did so as I was directing his attention to the rear window. He, nor the Service Manager had ever seen this problem but said he would have an answer from the Chevy Rep the next day.
Waiting on my voicemail the next morning 10/19/04 was their direction to come in and immediately have it replaced, one was in stock! No charge. 23,375 mi on factory warranty - I'm the 2nd owner. The other Chevy dealer Pres Kool said they'd take care of it as well.
Having armed myself with tales from our club - one of which pointed to the protocol for potential warranty service:
Discuss with Service Mgr.
Discuss with Owner or General Mgr.
Call Chevy Assistance Center 800-222-1020.
...I felt confident that the slow but sure method would reap the least frustration and produce the best possible results if to these measures I would add a positive, even cheerful attitude.
Had my concern of free replacement gone ignored by owner and general mgr. I would have raised the ante to Customer Assistance, if need be, that the State Attorney General's Office, and my congressman would here from me next as would the local newspaper columnist who takes up his reader's battles to the embarrassment of those who ignore the "little guy."
Being an active duty military your "in uniform" presence commands mucho respecto these days together with a quiet, assured manner. Save "the pissed" card - let them imagine it as you move along the ladder of persistence. Loose your cool and you move the focus from your truck to yourself. You then become the possible reason of refusal. Don't ever give them that benefit. A smiling man in uniform is very hard to say no to.
If your town has too many uniforms visit one that doesn't. You'll likely find a world of respect. And let them know you love your truck. People with a passion for their truck make ardent adversaries. People who hate the damn things are lost souls - infidels, if you will.
Make them believe you're with them, not against them. You're an ally not the enemy.
Last - an issue exists with 01 and 02's from Mexico. The resin in the plastic shrunk manifesting a pulled away look, lower passenger side. Mine shrunk so much it pulled the sodder loose (top edge)from the copper tab on the defrost wire grid as well as two seperations passenger edge.
It pulled so hard in the lower passenger corner that it flattened the plastic on the perimeter of the bend as if the window had been dropped on its corner there. Maybe that's what they're seeing in yours?

Thank you for the info Rick, your exactly right.

The problem you spoke of in your last two paragraphs is exactly what is wrong with mine. In addition, the top left has a clean split as if someone took a hacksaw to it. The dealer also decided to make sure it was damaged by pulling the plastic away and making it worse.

I will see what Bill Heard in Nashville has to say. Hopefully, a "sister" dealer will more responsive to this obvious manufactuers defect.

"The Rest of the Story"...
Reference Service Bulletin # PI00490, Built before 10-30-01. I'm told if not under original warranty, needs to be a GM Extended Warranty or no dice, ugh! (Sure glad I bought the extended non-GM warranty now.)
This from a most reputable dealer's Service Mgr. who says the above bulletin can be "pulled-up" by any Chevy dealer on their GM dealer website and with your VIN a build date will be revealed. Good hunting.

Rick that's exactly what happen to mine it also pull the solder connection on the passenger side, I notice it shrunk and pulled away. GM is full of crap they should just recall all the 02 and have them replaced, I know I'm SOL since I bought my AV on Ebay and had to have it shipped from Texas, so far been lucky no water damage, RTV it in time.

GM should replaced them in good faith, it's only the right thing to do, but it all come down to $$$ I'll sign up for a class action suit.

Crap and I almost bought a new one on Ebay probably was a new 02 too.

I've had 2 replaced so far on the same AV!!! The first one was replaced after I had it for about a year. This one was starting to crack about 2 weeks ago in both bottom corners. I had about 300 miles left on my warranty so I took it in right away to my local dealer. They said they just happened to have it in stock!Obviously th ere is still a problem with these windows. I can't believe that a dealer would have something like that in stock if it wasn't replacing them frequently. I'd have been pissed if it wasn't under warrant. Over $700!That's crazy. Now I just hope this second one holds up cause now I only have 200 miles left and I'm out of warranty. Good luck everyone . Keep trying different dealers. Sooner or later you'll find a good one.

found leaking into the cab, and now i see it is the "clean" cracks from the shrinking of the back glass mlding.  Of course Out of Warranty, and Bill Heard sucks here in Central FL and they are so hard to work with. Silicon gasket maker is my temporary fix until i figure out what angle to pursue in my argument.  Anyone have any recomendations on waht to do? :cautious:

Good luck.  I work for a dealership and the zone guy (gal) was contacted by our SM and she politely declined any goodwill warranty replacement.  If you are out of warranty you must pay for a replacement.  Or use GE Silicon caulk in black and fix the problem. My Ava is a 2002 with 54k.

All:

I just had mine replaced this week.  I have an 04 model so it's still an ongoing problem.  But the dealer did replace it with no probelms.  They did treat me as a valued customer.  It took two days to come in and 15 minutes to install.

John

johnny_2x said:
All:

I just had mine replaced this week. I have an 04 model so it's still an ongoing problem. But the dealer did replace it with no probelms. They did treat me as a valued customer. It took two days to come in and 15 minutes to install.

John

15 mins...??

Wow that is a long time to change out window...bet 3/4 time was spent unpacking it...hehehehe

Glad is all fixed now...

Back