Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/23/14 11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubbing noise when driving  (Read 8248 times)
AvaLance
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

RIP Avalanche 2002-2013

Awards
« on: 09/09/04 10:39 AM »

I noticed this last weekend and today it is worse.  When I am driving down the road I hear this rubbing/squeaking noise when I stop it stops but soon as I start moving it starts again the faster I go the faster the noise goes.  When I press on the brakes it is still there.  I have an appointment tomarrow but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem so I don't get it up the rear from my dealership.  The noise is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!

PS It sounds like it is coming from the rear wheels but I can't really tell.

Current (Life after AV)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab 2WD Texas Edition Rainforest Green
Wife's Ride - 2013 Equinox LTZ AWD Black Granite

PAST (My Av's will be missed)
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 LT3 Summit White
2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 Summit White
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71 Summit White
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/04 10:43 AM »

Maybe the e brake line is rubbing or someother line/hose is rubbing the inside of rear tire?

Or maybe a bad suspension part?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
msdinsp
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

I Love My Avalanche & the USA

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/04 06:42 PM »

dealer looked at my '02 Z66 for same problem, 3 times, never found reason for it. they did brake work and it got quieter, could hear it more pronounced when midgate was down, sounded like right rear, traded for a 2500, so far no noise.

'07, LT3, just started modding, rear window glasscape, bedslide, Line of Fire, Westin Bullbar, Bugshield, window vent visors, hard wired radar detector, 100 Watt driving lights, black rubber floor mats, LTZ console, molded splash guards. Debadged, then rebadged with patriotic decals(bowtie, Chevrolet on tailgate, Avalanche on doors). Train Horns! 2.5" leveling kit & 3"body lift
More to come for sure!
Chevalanche
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Louisiana Chapter Mascot

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 09/09/04 06:49 PM »

sounds like u-joints. put the rear axle on jsck stands, start the truck and put it in gear. You should hear the noise as the rear wheels turn. Step on the brake before you put it back in park. with the wheels off of the ground, it will idle at about 40 mph. You don't want to put it in park at that speed.  And if the noise isn't there when you do this, the chances are it's coming from the front end.  If you have 4WD then you can put all 4 on jacks and listen around for yourself in the front also. thumbs_up

2005 Dark Blue Mettalic LS. 20" GM wheels, sunroof, assist steps, vent visors, bug sheild, trailer hitch,lights in both storage compartments,underhood light, with  no stabilitrak and with  homelink transmitter.
AvaLance

RIP Avalanche 2002-2013

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 09/09/04 09:02 PM »

thanks for the tips I hope they can fix it tomarrow.  Yes I do have 4WD they just got done working on my e-brake a week ago I wonder if that has somthing to do with it.

Current (Life after AV)

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/04 06:20 AM »

thanks for the tips I hope they can fix it tomarrow.  Yes I do have 4WD they just got done working on my e-brake a week ago I wonder if that has somthing to do with it.
They fixed your EBRAKE?

Hmmmmmm...This would make a sound if it was broken...but not a rubber on rubber rubbing noise...more like a file on metal noise....or fairly low pitch sound of metal in a lathe being turned.....kinda between a grinding and rubbing noise.....

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
AvaLance

RIP Avalanche 2002-2013

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 09/10/04 09:53 AM »

thats what it sounds like metal rubbning metal

Current (Life after AV)

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 09/10/04 09:57 AM »

thats what it sounds like metal rubbning metal

Have em check what they did to the E brake.....as when they drag...it will sound like metal on metal....well actual brake shoes on metal....

good luck

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
bundy42

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/07/06 07:29 AM »

Hi, brand new on this site. I got my av. 6 weeks ago, just love it. I have the same problem that very annoying squeak. Just can't find where it is coming from. Just trying to rule out everything, like braking and it still there, meaning not brakes or suspension, loading it up with people(weight) still there, thinking maybe exhaust, in the cold climate I live in metal shrinks, but when warm still there, I'm lost, the worst of it all is still don't even have an idea of the area in which it is coming from, under the truck, inside, engine compartment, or under the dash.    HELP
Trophyman
Charter Member

Give That Man a Trophy!!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/06 10:01 AM »

Look at my post under squeaks, squeals, etc.
Maybe it will help you.
Trophyman.

2008. Avalanche Z-71  Black.  Black Leather.  Joey Bed Slide.  Every option except block heater, roof rack and heated washer fluid with rain sensing wipers.  I can tell when it's raining Smiley

2005 Trailblazer LT.  Black.  Black Leather.  Nav System.  XM.  (Wife's ride)

NRA Patron Member
miketb

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 06/06/06 04:15 PM »

i have the same problem with my "02" pulled rear wheel off and rotor off and found that the dust cover is rusting out and rubbing on the rotor Mike
Jtorqued
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Mud...What mud?

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 06/06/06 04:22 PM »

Yeah...check your dust shield behind the rotor...just put your had back there and pull it out alittle bit and see if that fixes....they are easy to bend and you realy won't notice it till you drive the truck...

'02 Black, Cladded Z-71.  6" Fabtech lift, 35" Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrans, 17x9 ProComp Extreme Alloys, Flowmaster Cat-Back, HPP III, Headrest monitors and PS2.

2011 Equinox
SgtSchultz

Thank You Generous Motors for the $6500 rebate

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: 07/17/06 08:36 AM »

1.  U Joints.

if not 1, than 2.

2.  Dirt/dust in brake pads or around hubs.  Dirt getting stuck in hub seals means wheel bearings will be needed soon.
j1231fjeep

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 08/07/10 12:35 PM »

I was having the same problem, It turned out to be front drive shaft axle where it goes into transfer case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: