• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

03 Suburban faster than 04 Avalanche?

socalavalanche

My 03 suburban feels like it has a better off-the-line speed than my 04 avalanche (w/hypertech). Are they geared differently? I would expect the suburban to be heavier and slower than my avalanche, but that is not the case. What is going on? :7:

Mileage has a big factor, my truck did not feel strong till it hit 12-15k. The Av should be about the same weight or a little less. Are they the same gears? Both 4wd?

Ed

My wife just got an '04 Z71 Suburban and it has about 1500 miles on it now. My '04 Avalanche has about 32K on it today. The Av feels noticably more free-reving than the 'Burb does. It has to be the miles.

I've only driven it twice, but our new '04 Suburban with 6k on it doesn't seem as punchy as our '02 Av did. A big thing I've noticed is how the new computer-throttle is smoother than the '02s cable one, but that also makes it seem slower, I think.

The Av did seem to get faster and faster with age, and was awesome by about 20k. The Subby is still really new and tight, so I guess it'll get better with age too. Oh, and they also sound strangely different--the Av had a really Vette-like smooth snarl, but the Subby gurgles more at idle and is more truck-like sounding while accelerating & cruising.

Not sure about the AVY, but the LS1 in my '98 Z loosened up a lot at about 10K miles. That also seemed to be the consensus on LS1.com too. Could be part of the setup on the Vortek too. :)

Not sure if its true or not but my dealer told me that the computer changes its tune after the vehicle gets more mileage on it also. I know mine seemed to run real rich for the first 7k or so and then it seemed to lean out and run way stronger. Just my .02 cents worth.

my 2c, i have a 03 yukon slt with 20k in mileage and it definately seems faster that my 04 av z66. i am sure it has to do with the loosening up of the motor. i have about 1k on the av.

Yet another good reason to use Slick 50 after your first oil change. I have done this in ALL of my Suburbans and Tahoes and not only did they get better mpg, but the oil pump wne tout 25 miles from home and I made it in on no oil pressure and suffered NO damage to the engine.

The same thing happened to the 200 Horse EFI Mariiner outboard on my Bass Boat. The oil injection broke but no damage done on the ride back to trailer up!

Dakotahoss said:
Yet another good reason to use Slick 50 after your first oil change. I have done this in ALL of my Suburbans and Tahoes and not only did they get better mpg, but the oil pump wne tout 25 miles from home and I made it in on no oil pressure and suffered NO damage to the engine.

The same thing happened to the 200 Horse EFI Mariiner outboard on my Bass Boat. The oil injection broke but no damage done on the ride back to trailer up!
For those of us using Mobile 1 (or other synth) is Slick 50 redunant? ???

1BadPig said:
For those of us using Mobile 1 (or other synth) is Slick 50 redunant? ???

No, Slick 50 is NOT redunant. It is a motor oil treatment.

Slick 50 Advanced Formula Engine Treatment combines Slick 50 Protection Chemistry with a fully formulated 10W-30 motor oil to provide protection against friction and heat. Slick 50 Advanced Formula Engine Treatment is compatible with all types of motor oil, is safe for all automotive gasoline engines and will not void manufacturers' warranties.

Slick 50 is not redunant... what ever redunant is....

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for redunant:
    1. redundant
    2. redolent
    3. redonned
    4. redounded
    5. redolence
    6. reeducate
    7. rudiment
    8. rodent
    9. Redonda
   10. rodents

Murman :cool:

Personally I know the 04 avy is quicker than the 03 burban. My boss has a burban with about 45000 miles and my z66 avy has 2600. My boss owns a race track and I am his assistant manager. The burban does 17.00's in the quater mile and the best the avy has been was 16.69.

The shift points will adjust by driver habit on the vortec I think. Maybe your spouse hotrods the Suburban and you baby the AV. :rolleyes:

Murman said:
1BadPig said:
For those of us using Mobile 1 (or other synth) is Slick 50 redunant? ????

No, Slick 50 is NOT redunant. ?It is a motor oil treatment. ?

Slick 50 ?Advanced Formula Engine Treatment combines Slick 50 Protection Chemistry with a fully formulated 10W-30 motor oil to provide protection against friction and heat. Slick 50 Advanced Formula Engine Treatment is compatible with all types of motor oil, is safe for all automotive gasoline engines and will not void manufacturers' warranties.

Slick 50 is not redunant... what ever redunant is....

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

Suggestions for redunant:
??? 1. redundant
??? 2. redolent
??? 3. redonned
??? 4. redounded
??? 5. redolence
??? 6. reeducate
??? 7. rudiment
??? 8. rodent
??? 9. Redonda
???10. rodents

Murman :cool:
snake oil

1BadPig said:
Dakotahoss said:

For those of us using Mobile 1 (or other synth) is Slick 50 redunant? ????

Nope just the opposite in fact, Mobil 1 is as good if not better then conventional motor oil in a newer motor (in fact the manual actually recommends it for cold temperatures) and Slick 50 is extremely bad for internal parts, such as oil pumps.  The teflon in the Slick 50 will drop out in cold temeperatures and plug off oil pick ups and filters.  The US military did a lot of testing with Slick 50 and similar additives, and wrote very clear papers which expressed to not use it anything.  They actually found cases in which it caused motors to fail completely because it plugged off ports and did not allow oil to get vital engine parts.  Simply put, do not run additives that are not recommended/required by GM, you'll be happier in the long run, and have less chance of having your warranty voided.

Back