• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AV in Dealership for 12 items

anhandrew

I had my wife dropped our AV off at the dealership Tuesday.

Had the following things looked at:

1) Emergency brakes not working - Doing TSB
2) Plastic Cladding fadding on all panels and top of brake light. - TSB armadillo fix
3) Brake light plastic faded - Replaced under warranty
4) Transmission shifts rough - no error codes/no fix
5) Creak in the body when going up and down driveway - haven't looked at it yet
6) 4wd whine - updated computer
7) Crooked Steering - Had to pay for alignment - I had Hibdon tires plus and firestone looked at it and they said it was within spec. I told them give me a spec sheet once they are done so I can have the other shops do it the next time I need it done. (lifetime alignment with firestone)
:cool: Cargo leaking - changed seal at panel 1 to midgate
9) Sunroof has sloshing sound after a rainstorm - couldn't duplicate
10) CD Player runs ERR code - new stereo installed
11) rear diffy is leaking - check everything is okay?
12 ) Soft/loose steering - had the shaft lubed 10k miles ago, will looked into it.

AC pressure swith? was replaced.

This AV was one of the early build. 12/01, bought in 11/02.

Cross my fingers that all of these problems are being fixed.

I bought a 04 Honda Accord EX for better fuel economy and to keep the miles off of the AV. I got 36 mpg on a 250 mile trip. I thought it wouldn't have problems guess what. It rattles too. Makes weird noises when the engine is running a slight boc boc noise. Once AV is good I'll throw the Honda in the shop. No car is problem free.

Andrew

anhandrew said:
No car is problem free.

Andrew
Thank You even though I haven't had any problems with my idea (knock on wood), but thats how I feel.
Good luck
Dave

Our old '02 Av was built the same time (12/01) and was beyond perfect for two years. Never a rattle, a squeak, or any odd noise. Nothing ever broke. Nothing stopped working. Only two dealer visits it ever had were 1) to replace a foglight that had gotten condensation inside and lube the steering rack b/c of a very light clunk, and 2) to replace one of the outside mirrors after the glass cracked when it got really cold.

Nothing else ever went wrong and at 33k miles, it was as tight and problem-free as day one.

Needless to say, the '04 Suburban we traded it for this past June has a lot to live up to, and has me a little worried. Going in, there were two things I wasn't thrilled about: 1) it was built in Wisconsin and not Mexico like the Av was, and 2) it was one of the first '04s built for the model year (08/03). Upon seeing it and riding in it for the first time, I was really set at ease, but a few little things have cropped up.

The first day when backing it up in the driveway, I noticed a creaking sound coming from somewhere in the back :( . With each day, it seemed to get louder and more frequent. After a few weeks we dropped it off at the dealer and they worked on it for a day, apparently re-installing the jack (it's in the driver's side quarter panel area on a Subby) and replacing some sort of padding in there. That seemed to do the trick and the noise was gone, or at least it seemed that way. Now it's creaking again, but we're waiting a little more until taking it in again.

The gauge cluster also seemed to be rattling pretty bad there for a while, but now it seems to have shut up. And when you'd have the AC on, there's a whirring sound in the dash, but I don't know if it still does that or not.

It seems pretty well put together, but some of these issues with rattles/creaks are inexcusable for a truck w/ only 7k miles and really rare, according to other owners when I've asked. You brought up a good point with the Honda, a car so many people think of as being perfect, when in reality, they have very common problems with rattles and other build defects. Nothing's perfect, just some come close and others are full of problems.

Mines in the shop for:

Clunky shifting
tranny hesitation
torque push when stopped
Fuel gauge (6th thime :( )
Nivomat leaking or? (they tell me that the Avy is supposed to look crooked :8:)
Remote 2 inoperative (not the battery!)
A/C still blows warm air
DIC brake warning

can't wait to get it back.

No car is perfect

My '02 is just out of warranty with 33,000 miles on her. I had two warranty repairs - replaced ignition switch and replaced rear diff bearings due to noise. Also got new tailgate cables. I'm hoping for many more trouble free miles!

Mine was in the shop last week for a driverside visor short...yep you heard it right...when ever you raise or lower the visor it would short out an excessory fuse...I'm waiting for a replacement visor to come in...other than that, been pretty lucky (Knock on Wood) Replaced my tailgate straps, and fixed my cross member...that's it...

Once I got mine it went into the shop about a week later for about 5 issues, Why is it they are so quick to rotate the rotors instead of replacing them. Have anyone else ever had a problem with there onstar failing.

Nothing major with mine, but there were a few.

Never fixed:
* Mirror tilt never returned back all the way if they were folded in while in reverse.
* Battery was crap. They checked it as OK - Bull! It's now in the S-10 and several Odysseys replaced it in the Av. No problems since.
* Audio system sounded poor. I fixed that!

They fixed:

* Trailer hitch was at a slight tilt (Receiver).
* CHMSL dropped down
* BCM stored a U-code (No response from the Xfer case) HuH? `Never had an indication of a 4WD fault. They replaced the BCM, not any 4WD parts.
* Tailgate cable campaign.
* Parking brake TSB/Fix/Adj.

Nothing else I can remember other than my own messing with it, or how set it up correctly! :2:

15, 650 Mi. took delivery on 3-28-03.

`Never had a vehicle with this few faults at this point!

:love: :B:

Back