• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

$392.00 of mod!?!

code4av

See attached pic!

Just came in the mail yesterday.

Whoops..... I dropped something... just let me bend over to pick that up, what's that CA State Legislature? I have to SMOG the truck next year?

Yes Tom...it is true... :6:

In Cali...a smog check is required every 2 years...
and since your Av is an '03...you get a "pass" this
year...but not next year... :3:

The real issue to the consumer in Cali...the system has tightened the controls on smog checks...requiring dyno and other new equipment to be used...this is driving the cost of the inspection through the roof...what used to be had for as little as $30 plus the certificate is now up to $90 plus the certificate in some areas...so it is not just a walk in the park anymore... :3:

This is how I ended up with my Av. PA just instituted a new emissions test that reads the onboard computer and if there are any error codes, fails the vehicle expensively. My 97 Explorer had 186K on it, there was no way some code hadn't tripped. I wanted to make 200K, but it would have cost too much. What's next, catalytic converters on cows to reduce methane emissions?

Uesque said:
This is how I ended up with my Av. PA just instituted a new emissions test that reads the onboard computer and if there are any error codes, fails the vehicle expensively. My 97 Explorer had 186K on it, there was no way some code hadn't tripped. I wanted to make 200K, but it would have cost too much. What's next, catalytic converters on cows to reduce methane emissions?

NY just started this same test, it a computer test not a real exhaust test. Lots of people are scewed because there are lots of beaters around my area...

Here you can get an annual "safety" inspection on a "drag-in". All it takes is $5. (If the shop is honest) Headlights, wipers, horn, blinkers, brakelights (only 1 is required). It takes longer the fill out the receipt.

I've seen so many 3 year old "smokers" (vehicles where the owners add gas or oil when the light comes on) running around, I'd be willing to go $25 every 3 years for a real check, including a tailpipe check. As good as or better than stock - see you in 3 years.

MrJIm
:B:

The computer test is only good on '96 and newer cars (OBD II). Older cars will still have to do the exhaust test.

I CHNGE said:
Yes Tom...it is true... :6:

In Cali...a smog check is required every 2 years...
and since your Av is an '03...you get a "pass" this
year...but not next year
... :3:
i was curious as my av was purchased in 10/01 and registration is due end of this month and it doesn't say smog required on the statement, nor have i had one to date. i looked online and found this:

New vehicles exempt until their fifth year

Vehicles four model-years old and newer (model-years 2001-2004, for registrations due after 1/1/2004 ) are not required to have a biennial (every other year) Smog Check performed until their fifth year. However, these vehicles must have a Smog Check performed if the vehicle is sold, or being registered in California for the first time. Some additional vehicles might not be required to have a biennial Smog Check performed if the specifications in the following document are met.

Back