• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Leaking Sun Roof

R

rob_h

Does your sun roof leak in the car wash or when raining?

Nope, not a drop and it has been left out in the pouring rain just to test the sun roof, cab and midgate for leaks after reading some of the posts here. Glad to say, not a drop. :cool:

does your sunroof only leak in the car wash, ie high pressure? or also in the rain?

I have a family member who has been in the glass business for 40 years. Some of it involved auto glass. His words of wisdom.....sooner or later all sunroofs will leak.

Because of his advice I have never owned a vehicle with one. I do lease one and I really like them, but never in a vehicle I own for any length of time. :6:

no leaks......

I haven't had a hint of trouble with mine. If it's not raining, it's open! ;D

Hate to say it but mine leaks in heavy rain and parked. ?Keep it covered most of time only drive it on weekend so not to important right now. ?I still have over 1 1/2 years from GM. ?Ill make the trip to dealer before then.

Ah jim get it fixed before any leaky water does more damage........not a good thing ya know........

Dayum reminds me to check on that part they ordered to fix my wind deflector thingy.....thanks

Had my Av for 16 days now...I was in a down poor the first week I had it...no problems with anything leaking. I took it to the touchless Mobill carwash and there was water coming in through the sun roof as the hi pressure wash went over...dont get me wrong here the water was not pooring in....it was almost like a slight spray and only on the rear driver side of the sunroof. I will be asking about this though >:D

Mine is also like dragoneye42s'...just leaks when in a carwash with VERY HIGH PRESURE! It never leaks going down the road or even in a downpoor.

JRider

I, too, have felt a slight spray of water from the high-pressure hoses at the carwash, just around the very rear of the sunroof.

But I don't think I've even been in any sort of downpour yet (had this thing since April, too!). I just figured it was fairly normal, as I never got any water inside when I washed it myself. Just figured it was due to the pressure from the car wash hose.

I also owned a Saturn with a sunroof for 6 years and never, ever had any leaks in that sunroof.

And I had one in a Mazda pickup that I had to reseal every year, or I would get water on the cloth seats. Not a good thing.

I dunno moonroofs arnt all that bad... I own a 16year old car, and a 12year old car both have moonroofs, and have both been in the family sense new. NO LEAKS, and they both work wonderfully. So I was fine to getting an ava with a moonroof, but i will be pissed off if my oldsmobile moonroofs outlast my av's.

my AV doesn't leak. I had an '84 Saab with a sunroof, it didn't leak in '94. Lets hope the AV is the same :)

I've had my Av since Oct 31st and no leaks here---I have been on the highway in a downpour but it's garaged at home. I will leave it out next time it rains just to make sure and will let you know if I get any leaks...

A couple of points about sunroofs:

1. When closing the roof, you must hold the button until the roof stops by itself. Some people try to feather it in and it is not fully closed.

2. The sunroof is designed to leak. It has a gutter around the edge of the glass complete with drain hoses into the a and b pillars. If you see water drip in around the edge of the glass, the gutter should contain this easily. This is normal since it drains out the hoses.

3. If you are unhappy with the amount of drips on the edge you can adjust the glass higher to get a better seal. With the glass closed, loosen the 4 screws (2 on each side of the glass) and tap the glass up or down until you get better contact between the seal on the edge of the glass and the flange edge around the roof opening. Minor drips can usually be stopped with this fine tuning. The corners of the glass are sensitive because the flange on the roof is shorter there.

4. Any water not contained in the gutter or under the floor mat is a real water leak and needs to be corrected.

I have a 2002 Avalanche and it is dry as a bone. The gutters are dusty.

My 04' Z71 sunroof leaks a few drips from the right rear side when going though a VERY HIGH PRESSURE car wash in town. Other than that, it never leaks. I just deal with it as it's only a couple drops and the water pressure is intense.

Hello everyone!

2003 Avalanche Owner and my sunroof leaked for the first time in a Car Wash the other day. It Leaked alot. The gutters filled up and started dripping water over the edge and through the visor onto my head. IT was extremely frustrating because I had to sit there until the wash was over with. :8:

It has rained since this experience and I have never been leaked on. ;)

I could take it to the dealer but I don't really have the time. Would you guys think that the drains are plugged and can not handle the excess water from the high pressure wash? Since this event, I have been afraid to take it back through the wash.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean out the drain plugs? I am assuming Draino would not be a wise choice.

Thanks for your advice!

SB :B:

I would open the sunroof and clean the seal. I use a silicon lubrucant to soften mine up. Also, was yours closed all of the way?? It is very easy to leave it cracked by accident if you don't wait untill it pops up and seals. Good luck.

Mine doesn't leak either....Wait...That's right I don't have a sun-roof. One of the reasons I didn't get one is because of what "Could" happen...

I truly hope that you don't have much dammage or can get it fixed soon. I'd hate to see an AV with water damage.

GoBot

SB:

Here is what I suggest:

I would test the gutters for a clog condition. Open the sunroof glass fully and look in on the left and right sides to inspect the gutter. Remove any debris such as leaves etc with a vacuum. Next, with a water hose, slowly introduce water into the gutter and see if it drains out or just accumulates.

With the water coming in on the visors, there may be a disconnected hose at the front. The system has hoses at all 4 corners. The two in the front go down the a-pillars while the rears funnel into a common pipe and run down the b pillar.

Filling the gutter and letting it drain will quickly verify if it's clogged or if you have a disconnected hose (gutter drains and water ends up on visor).

Cleaning out a clogged hose in front should be easy if you have compressed air. You can see the inlets in the front corners of the gutter, so blow some air in there to clear any obstruction. The rear hoses are more difficult and should be left to the dealer. You must remove the b-pillar trim to get the bottom of the hose and blow air back toward the sunroof. It drains into the body mount bracket so it is not visible from below the truck.

In any case an adjustment of the glass sounds in order if significant water is entering the gutter in the first place. You can adjust it simply by closing the glass and applying water to see where the glass needs adjustment. Most times the glass is low and the leaks are in the corner. Loosening the 4 glass screws (2 on each side) and tapping the glass slightly up fixes the water entry. Re-tighten, retest and you are all set.

SB:

OviedoAV's post made me think of one last point. The sunroof must be fully closed. Keep in mind the motor will automatically stop at the fully closed position if you hold the button in and do not release it before the motor stops. Some people try and judge when it is closed and release the button as the glass pops up to stop it. This does not work!!! Hold until it stops to get a full close every time!

Thank you 805. I will give that a try tonight and see what happens. I appreciate the detailed feedback and should I have any more problems, I will send you a note.

Thanks Again.

SB

Back