• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

05 heated seats

kismybass

just got 05 with all the goodies. My problem is this when i turn on the heated seats they only stay on for 20 seconds i have to keep turning them on to get them warm. any ideas before i take it back to dealer thanks

Dakotahoss said:
Mine also stay on until key is off. In fact, mine get so hot you could fry an egg on them!!
Or roast chestnuts? >:D

I just got my '05 too, heated seats only work for 20 seconds.... any news on the fix from the dealer. Something simple (connector) or not?

The curious can read this: 02, & 03+
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=153;action=display;threadid=34665;start=msg552506#msg552506

kismybass said:
just got 05 with all the goodies. My problem is this when i turn on the heated seats they only stay on for 20 seconds i have to keep turning them on to get them warm. any ideas before i take it back to dealer thanks

They may be shutting down for a reason. Maybe they are drawing to much current and automatically shutting down as a precaution to prevent overload to the circuit.

So just to be on the safe side I would refrain from using them right now.

The first chance you get I would take it right over to the dealer.

I know my seats cut off if there isn't any weight on them. If you are getting out of the seat they will probably cut off.

Charlie

While it's in there, have them refer to #04-08-50-015A - (Sep 10, 2004) (Document ID# 1549041)

And see if that will work. It refers more to illumination, but...

In this, a tech is to reprogram the driver door module (DDM) with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was available August 23, 2004.

See if that will solve it. :cool:

LRNerd said:
I know my seats cut off if there isn't any weight on them. If you are getting out of the seat they will probably cut off.

My stay on until the key is turned off, doesn't matter if you get out or not. Found the passenger seat works great for keeping carry-out warm on the drive home!!

Yeah, leave`em on too long and they'll turn you into a choir-boy! :eek:

had it fixed .would you believe it had to do with the brake pedal sensor.They told me that it had to do with tha adjustable pedals.They replaced the brake pedal sensor. All is fine now go figure

My "04 heated seats worked fine this morning. Good thing it was -23 C here....although it appears that only the centre of the seat is heated and not theSide supports....

kismybass said:
had it fixed .would you believe it had to do with the brake pedal sensor.They told me that it had to do with tha adjustable pedals.They replaced the brake pedal sensor. All is fine now go figure

uhhhhh, how? ???

kismybass said:

The adjustable-position brake pedal "positioning" is controlled by the Memory seat module as well as other modules:

1464852-05_MemSeat&Adj_Pedals-s.gif

Attachments

• 1464852-05_MemSeatAdj_Pedals-s.gif
    1464852-05_MemSeatAdj_Pedals-s.gif
    95.5 KB · Views: 87
and:

1464853-05_Adl_Pedals.gif

Attachments

• 1464853-05_Adl_Pedals.gif
    1464853-05_Adl_Pedals.gif
    78.5 KB · Views: 85
So my 05 just started doing the same thing and I have 56k on it .
Does the brake pedal sensor seam to be the common reason for this problem.
I can't afford to pay out the ass for a dealer repair .

I re-read this old thread to see what your seats are doing.

Since you didn't say, I am going to assume your seats only come on for a short period, then shut off by themselves.

If that is the case, then you problem is most likely one of the heater element pads in the driver's seat is bad.

It is most likely the driver's back heater pad.

They seem to go out the most, for some reason.

But I have had to replace both of mine in the driver's seat, but at different times.

Here is a picture of the burnt part of my driver's back heater element.

Here is a link to The Seat Shop's video on troubleshooting your heated seats.

There are plenty of other Seat Shop videos that should show you what all is involved in getting to and replacing your seat heater elements, among other things.

I'm willing to bet a half dozen do-nuts that your problem is a bad heater element and not a module.

Been there, done that, a couple of times.

(y)

Thanks guys . From the way it looks I'm guessing g you guys have me everything I need to diagnose my problem.
  I'll hit you up if I need anymore help with it . Since my speedo just took a poop this is a back burner project now! Stupid GM electrical problems!!

Speedo rebuild... $125 at www.dashdr.com not worth messing with...

He can do some other things too... Such as install the Trans temp gauge too if you let him know... But will need a new face and an extra needle.

He installed my white face and blue needles and installed the blue LED's in mine for me...
I supplied the LED's and face and he installed them. But he also carries them. I just figured since he was redoing mine he could do the whole thing and he didn't charge me more... Lifetime warranty.

Looks very nice..

Rodney

Back