• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

January pipeline offroad GTG

You're looking for a guided run of the pipeline?? I know the pipeline well as I've been off-roading there for 5-6 years. With the way my Jimmy is set up though, I've found it a little boring as a late. Not saying that a group of Av's wouldn't have fun, just not challenging enough with my Jimmy. If I can help in some way, let me know.

We were up there a couple of years ago but not sure of the route through. We were guided by visualj and his jeep club ( awesome group of people), Check with mdz66, his was in contact with visualj.
He is waiting to see what visuals schedule is for January.

Hope to see you there.

I'm pretty sure I know who VisualJ is(he's got a green TJ wrangler, and lives up the street from me). And, I probably know some of the others he wheels with. Jan is a little too far off for me to say that I could definately go, but.........when the time comes, I'll try to be there. I'd pull my Jimmy up with my AV, so I could kinda say I was part of the GTG!!

I will make a road trip to Mountain next tuesday and pick up anything I get my hands on and post what I get. I will also see what is available for a dinner stop I would suggest a picnic but I think we will have shovel snow off the table first. Matt p.s any help is very much appreciated as I can get to Mountain but the Pipeline trails are another story (all those trees look the same to me) :eek: :eek: :eek:

MDZ, I used the email in your profile and sent you 2 scans of GPS "tracks" showing MOST of the pipeline N. of CTY W. Maybe these will help out. Let me know if you get them. (y)

isjustus said:
MDZ, I used the email in your profile and sent you 2 scans of GPS "tracks" showing MOST of the pipeline N. of CTY W. Maybe these will help out. Let me know if you get them. (y)
Can you send me the tracks and I will put them in my gps with my maping software

We went to the Pipeline area today to find a dinner stop. It is about a quarter mile out of our way and has very good food. I am really glad we are going when the ground is frozen because the first water hole is about 3 feet deep. Things are cooling off here so we should has plenty of ice by the time we go. Anyone interested in going and need hotel info let me know. Matt

I'll have to see if I can make it. Although, I'd bring <----- that truck, pulling it up on a trailer with my Av.

How much of the pipeline did you check out, from that map I sent ya?

I knew I could count on you,Avialanche. I didn't go past the first water hole as I was alone on the trip. I would have needed waders to get around the hole. Something had gotten stuck real bad recently that required a large tractor to drive in there. I drove in by the substation on County W. As soon as it is frozen I will make another trip up there, it is a very nice drive. I will have pics then. Matt p.s. I still have not heard back from Visualj weather or not he will be up for this.

My GPS tracks, should have shown the bypass that we take around that water/mud hole. Even with ice, I think I would check ice thicknesses on the bigger mud and water holes(I like to err with caution). I don't know if any of them are spring fed or not, but if so, could have thin/brittle ice covering to them. I've never run it in the winter, so I don't know what I should tell you to expect. If I'm able to make it(too far away right now) I know it quite well, so I could help navigate it.

Hello everyone,

January 29th works for us also. I will sure be ready for a break from work by then.

Matt, I would appreciate any info on hotels in the area.

I may not be posting much but count us in, and I will have Debbie check for any updates or changes.

See you all then.

David

Please keep me informed on this. I will need to change out the Chrome 20's though for this trip. I have the offroad itch and no where around to scratch it.

Strobe is out . . . and no it's not because I don't wanna 4x4 . . . that is the date of my father's passing and I am going to be with my family.

Sorry.

Hey would you guys like to stay closer to the Pipeline area (very small town) or in my town which is 45 minutes away. We have about 8 hotels half allow pets vs 2 in the Pipeline area. Matt

Blackchev, You guys are more than welcome at our place and anyone willing to pitch a tent in our backyard is more than welcome as well. :4 >:D >:D I checked with the local Econo Lodge (a former Howard Johnson hotel) on the shore of Lake Michigan. 1.5 miles from my home. They will allow pets $68 per night or if we get 5 rooms, group rate drops it down to $50 Matt

Sounds like fun but the date is around my wifes b-day(28th) and I can't afford to scratch up my baby (my AV)... dirty her is fine but if I screwed up and scratched it I would be mad at myself... earlier vehicles I didn't have a problem with a scratch or 2 ;)

Maybe when I get a job and can afford a mudder or at least an ATV I can enjoy some offroading like that :D Now if it is just some backroading down some dirt roads .. I am all about that but working through 3 foot mud holes I learned a long time ago is not always a good idea... never know what someone might of lost in one of those holes :p

Back