• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Viper 791 XV

blackavz71

i know the last topic was just about the same alarm/remote starter but i wanted to start a new thread because i have a different question.....i was just in my car stereo shop today looking at alarms/remote starters, and i really liked the viper......i really like the pager idea on it.....but i wanted to get input from anybody that has the 791 or looked into it.....any positives and negatives.....and also any prices you paid.....thanks for the help......

Sometimes tricky to get it into valet mode with the remote. Base install was $600, plus $75 or so in options - battery, backup siren and glassbreak sensor.

just installed it yesterday so far i love it (my truck was still there this morning) i have the remote start glass sensor and i used the aux for my neon the remote is kool l,ooking

Attachments

• DSCN1347.JPG
    DSCN1347.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 717
thanks kzt.......hey bklyn how much did the system cost you.....did having 2 remotes cost more.....and did the glass sensor cost extra.....thanks

can you put that alarm on 2 vehicles and 1 remote control them both...even w/ remote start on both?
THanks,
Damon

ok the extra remote was $80 glass remote start all options came with it $500 but its my good friends shop he usually charges about $650 for the same set up plus extra remote
im not sure of the exact range but today i started it from my house and the truck was about 600 ft away no problems theres a lot of inputs you can use on the remote i have my neon also hooked up to it hit 2 buttons and it goes on

hey kzthow do you use valet from remote i thought i had to use the switch inside the truck for that?

bklyntripr said:
hey kzthow do you use valet from remote i thought i had to use the switch inside the truck for that?

The manual (p26) says open door, press lock, press unlock, press lock, LED goes on solid. (or off is you are exiting valet) It sometimes works like that, sometimes I need to have the key in and the truck in acc or running. Haven't really tested extensively as I've only put it in valet a few times. First few times it worked fine, then I started to have some issues. The switch always works, but's it's a pain to get to.

Oh, and the total was something like $700 for the alarm and install complete with options.

ok anyone have this problem after installing this viper 791 i have a clicking sound comming from the driver side were the 4x4 lights are it sounds like the battery is dead (click click click) but the truck starts perfect no problems so is this sopposed to be there or did somthing go wrong

You could be hearing the alarms relays clicking on and off, especially if you have the parking light flash option. The relays for my Audiovox unit were installed in about the same area, and you can hear them click off every once in awhile.

Enjoy the alarm! They are very similar to the Audiovox unit, and I love mine! :D On top of the remote start, I've got sequential door locks, inside temp readout, can turn on my heated seats (Thanks to some help from Sperry!), and also have Driver 1 & 2 priority which adjusts the seats depending on which remote was used. All this leaves two Aux channels left for a tailgate popper (eventually), and defroster turn on! The possibilities are pretty much endless! Enjoy!

Oh yeah, and the added benifit of my Avy being there every morning :cool:

thank you it only happens when i go to start the car thought i had a problem i love it i have it controll my remote start and my neon for right now

I have a couple questions on the Viper 791 XV. First off, I was at Best Buy yesterday, and they had the Viper 791 XVR(any differance to the "XV"?), anyways they had it for $473 installed, and they said I needed another adapter for something that was $50-$80 :cautious:. Either way that is the best price That I have seen. Second, is there a special thing I need to get for it to work with my On*star? Third, is it possible to get a Viper Remote Starter on its own, and add on the 791 XV later?
Thanks.

-James. :cool:

I've also been looking into this alarm and shopping around for the best. It's been a challange since I'm still in Bahrain for two more months. This all started when the wife wanted to get remote start for my Av, I figured if you're going to go that far, what's a bit further. I haven't contacted any shops about install, but I've seen the alarm itself go for around $200. I'd also like any info that anyone has on this product.
Thanks All!

Blu_Z71, I talked to Directed Electronics, the company that makes/supplies the Viper Systems, along with every other major brand security system, I asked them about putting a remote start on and adding the security system afterward, and they said it isn't a problem. They also said that the base price for the 791XV is around $570-$600(not including install). The price I listed is most likely a Xmas special (y). I am planning on getting the Viper 160XV remote starter for right now. (y)

james21 said:
I have a couple questions on the Viper 791 XV. First off, I was at Best Buy yesterday, and they had the Viper 791 XVR(any differance to the "XV"?), anyways they had it for $473 installed,

Then you get to pay twice: Once to Best Buy to install it, then to a good installer to install it right.

kzt said:
Then you get to pay twice: Once to Best Buy to install it, then to a good installer to install it right.
Hey, if you can find me a better price than that, i'd appreciate it, cause the best price that I've seen is $570 uninstalled, which means probably another $80-$150 for install, so I'd be better off, going with the best buy thing and then going to get it installed elsewhere.

Actually just went on Ebay and found this, want to know what peoples opinions are?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48611&item=5736617751&rd=1

james21 said:
Hey, if you can find me a better price than that, i'd appreciate it, cause the best price that I've seen is $570 uninstalled, which means probably another $80-$150 for install, so I'd be better off, going with the best buy thing and then going to get it installed elsewhere.

I've seen the raw alarm for $250 or so on Ebay, etc. Retail places that sell the alarm appear to be required to only sell it installed. $600 for the alarm installed seems to be an OK price. If they are claiming it is $570 uninstalled they are ripping you off. Install of one of these is said to take 4-6 hours for an experianced installer, so most of the cost is labor. And there is no warrently if it isn't installed by a dealer, who will charge you more to install if you bring him the alarm in a box rather than buying it from him.

I had thought about buying the one that I saw on Ebay for $189, but now am having second thoughts, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with it, or a catch about it, there has to be something about it, for the price to be that low. :cautious:

james21 said:
I had thought about buying the one that I saw on Ebay for $189, but now am having second thoughts, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with it, or a catch about it, there has to be something about it, for the price to be that low. :cautious:

If the guy has a good rep and has multiples to sell they are probably complete. You can search on completed sales to see what the typical price it sells for. The issue would be that you would need to install the puppy. From comments I have seen, it isn't that hard if you do it for a living, but wouldn't want to do it myself. The install manual is here:
http://www.directechs.com/guides/manuals/ig/viper/N564V_6-03.pdf

It makes a lot of assumptions that you know what you are doing. If you do, then you can save a lot of money. There is no warrenty if you do it yourself, but you can buy another alarm and still come out ahead if fails. You can also screw up the truck if you hose the install, and you will need an extra module or two to connect to the data bus.

If you have to pay to get it installed it might not save any money to buy it on ebay, as installers might charge you extra if they didn't sell you the hardware.

I checked the ebay site again today, and found out that the reason for selling the Viper's at such a low price is that they are all refurbs, so that is out of the question. I don't like refurbed stuff esp something that is going on my AV, and since it is a security system, there is no way that I am going to trust something that is not new :E:. So I guess that I'll just keep looking.

I had also looked into Best Buy.  Purchased the Viper unit for $474.  Was informed probably $130 more  for modules and install fees.  Scheduled my appointment.  Eagerly pulling up to the back of the big box, I was on the verge of remote start ecstasy. >:D >:D  It'd probably be 4-5 hours.

So a perplexed looking installer asked me if I ordered the modules.  Me??
I would have gladly ordered and paid when I shelled out the  $474.  :E: :E:

The Best Buy Dudes were pleasant enough; but no expression of apology at not being ready to install.  It wasn't their fault that the kid who sold me the viper didn't order it.  Wouldn't want to check ahead on the schedule and see if they had what they needed.  They were'nt able to order the module right at the moment, and told me to check back to see when the module would be available.  I probably won't be checking back.

I've never had any stereo work done one any of my vehicles....but it's time to check out a local car audio place.

Maybe Best Buy'd get it right next time....hope I never sink so low as to find out.

I received this alarm for xmas and just got it installed yesterday. so far it works quite well. The range is fantastic for the auto start. much better than the prestige one i had on my old sebring. As far as cost, The alarm was around 260 on amazon, and best buy charged me around 480 for the install with all the options. I'm planning on doing dvd/ps2 in my avy, so a paging alarm was absolutely necessary.

Back