• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Electric Supercharger?

Yoshi5674

Found this on Ebay. I would never consider buying this but, would it work and how? ??? :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7941193814&category=38634&sspagename=WDVW

anyone ever use one of these is it worth it or not i would buy it and try it if someone said its ok

wow, $135 for a blower motor :eek: And look at his extensive feedback :eek:

I agree
Looks like a fan / blower motor
an expensive one at that!
might even work a little since it would increase the air pressure a bit before induction.

Just remember that you usually get what you pay for. If that hair dryer was truly capable of creating an extra 40hp at the wheels and an increase of up to 31% in gas mileage, or wait is it 10%, the page says both ??? it would be the hottest deal in the bolt on parts world right now for $135.

I would honestly bet that it may impede airflow more than anything else.......

I'd love to see some dyno results for that gadget. :2:

Interesting idea. It may be possiable to gain HP this way IF the blower is strong enough. It seems high for what it really is. If I were to try this I would look into a BOAT BLOWER I think they use them to draw fumes from the engine area. The most powerful one listed there is 250 CFM does anyone know what the flow of a stock 5.3 motor is?

Butch

I bet Sperry can power it with all his batteries >:D

I just saw this same Charger on Ebay, Looks like a Heater Blower Motor and I love the way they say it takes 2 hours to install!!! CMON!!!! according to the Manufactor of the charger, its Supposed to give you 35hp!!!!! Sounds Tempting?? VERY! However, No little plastic fan can provide actual Boost that would make a difference you can feel. Once Again Tempted By a Info-mercial!!!!
My words to live by on this little item
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!! and you can Add , SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!

Z66 BUTCH said:
Interesting idea. It may be possiable to gain HP this way IF the blower is strong enough. It seems high for what it really is. If I were to try this I would look into a BOAT BLOWER I think they use them to draw fumes from the engine area. The most powerful one listed there is 250 CFM does anyone know what the flow of a stock 5.3 motor is?

Butch

I "think" if I remember correctly, the stock MAF is capable of flowing near 750cfm, and eventually becomes a restriction if your heavily modifying your motor.

Ask yourself the following:
Does this sound too good to be true?
Does it cause me concern to buy this from a seller on ebay that just signed up and hasn't made a single transaction yet?
Can I buy this same thing at Home Depot/other local store for $25?
Do I feel like an idiot for thinking this would have been a good idea? ;)

If you answered "Yes" to one or more of these questions, you may be a.........

.....person that will keep $135 in his wallet for another day.

Has Anyone taken into consideration that This Fan may put in as much air as a functional Ram Air hood??? on the WS6 FireBird the Open air Filter and a functional Ram Air Hood from the Factory put in 30hp over a Regular Firebird with the same engine just without Ram Air. Same goes for the SLP Camaro SS, Could this little $135 gizmo possibly be the next sought after bolt on Performance Part???? Maybe All over America Bolting This little Item on May be as Normal As Bolting on a Exhaust and adding a Cold Air induction!! Im playing Devils Advocate here and You wont be seeing this Blower Motor on my list of Mods anytime soon, However, Nobody here can Prove that It DONT work!!!

XhaustedZ71 said:
Has Anyone taken into consideration that This Fan may put in as much air as a functional Ram Air hood??? on the WS6 FireBird the Open air Filter and a functional Ram Air Hood from the Factory put in 30hp over a Regular Firebird with the same engine just without Ram Air. Same goes for the SLP Camaro SS, Could this little $135 gizmo possibly be the next sought after bolt on Performance Part???? Maybe All over America Bolting This little Item on May be as Normal As Bolting on a Exhaust and adding a Cold Air induction!! Im playing Devils Advocate here and You wont be seeing this Blower Motor on my list of Mods anytime soon, However, Nobody here can Prove that It DONT work!!!

The ram air did not add 30hp. On a dyno it adds nothing, at speed it adds a bit, perhaps the rated 10hp that it was touted to add.

DougD said:
XhaustedZ71 said:

The ram air did not add 30hp. On a dyno it adds nothing, at speed it adds a bit, perhaps the rated 10hp that it was touted to add.

I CAN PROVE it does not work!! Take the INVERSE COTANGENT, multiply by the secant. Now, if you divide this answer by PIE, and use an exponential derivative, I am SURE you will see that the power added is little!! :2:

Fitzie Sensei (formerly said:
I CAN PROVE it does not work!! Take the INVERSE COTANGENT, multiply by the secant. Now, if you divide this answer by PIE, and use an exponential derivative, I am SURE you will see that the power added is little!! :2:

Mmmm.....pie...

:love: :2:

yeah, I'll be bolting that onto my 5.3 ...not. Does anybody cram the amount of air it may take to get 30-40 hp at the wheels without more fuel? I'm thinking not. ~670 c.f.m. will allow you 300 or so horses. I'm sure that there will be some debate over this statment. Let the games begin.

Folks, most reputable(!) companys charge ~$10 U.S. ( a zillion for our Canadain bretheren ) per H.P. Been this way since the good ol days of craming that big block in the 72 Nova

DougD said:
Fitzie Sensei (formerly said:

Mmmm.....pie...

:love: :2:

Dag - someone had to make this real ugly by bringing math into it. Can't we all just get along? Now this thread will be pulled!

What say yee Fitzie?

IBOHUNT said:
Dag - someone had to make this real ugly by bringing math into it. Can't we all just get along? Now this thread will be pulled!

What say yee Fitzie?

Nah, he left off the cosigner of the quotient ;) His math is all wrong, so the thread will live on.

Besides, most of us have already left to go have some pie.

I was going for the BHP the one that looks great on paper but drastically drops when its put to the test on a dyno a regular z-28 and its counterpart the FireBird back when they were powered with LT-1's were rated at 285bhp. The Addition of the Ram air Setup put bhp at 315 for both those cars, Thats where Im getting the 30hp!!
For Those Who dont Know BHP= Brake Horse Power, thats what the engine is rated at before any accesories are bolted on and the engine is sitting on a stand not in a vehicle

Back