• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Broke The Retaining Clip For Passenger Side Front Turn Signal Lamp

Chief

CAFCNA FOUNDER
Charter Member
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Dang nabit. In trying to sqeeze the clip to release the front turn signal assembly so I could change out a burned out headlamp, the retaining clip broke off of the darn core support. So now the only thing holding the lamp in place is the tab that stabs into the grille, the hood, sort of, and gravity.

I can't imagine I'm not the first person to do this so my questions are:

1) Is there a "band-aid" fix short of clear duct tape, what is it and how do you do it or...

2) What's involved in fixing it right. Specifically replacing the now ripped off plastic retaining clip.

:E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E: :E:

Yes - I got the headlight replaced...

Go to a hobby shop and get a flexible medium weight CA glue. Bring the light in the house for the night to let it warm up and then glue it in the morning. Let it stay in the house for a few hours after gluing it. It will be stronger than new. A good hobby grade of CA glue is a great deal stronger than super glue. DO NOT BUY THE THIN AND/OR NON FLEXIBLE.

CA- cyanoacrylate

I have this same problem , but I do not have the clip to glue back on. My Av was like that when I bought it (used). I did not notice it until I had it home for a few days.

Good old Epoxy...layered on thick worked for me..

Held for about six months till an incident with a man from Poland with an international drivers license..required the whole front end to be changed....

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=155;action=display;threadid=5481

been there done that...epoxy works for a while...but I ended up getting new housing....

:B: :B: :B: :B:
GMAN has pictures of my "mod" for this fix: I drilled a small hole in the broken nub and safety wired it to the hood bumper stop. The idea is to keep pressure on the front inside edge so the lamp doesn't pop out entirely. If Gary can't find his pics I'll post some tomorrow afternoon......

Jake

Duct tape! The idea is to cover all the seams to reduce drag and improve fuel mileage and hold in the light

:B: :B: :B:
O.K...It's daylight, so I can post the pics.
76879878.jpg

76879887.jpg

It's been like that for over 18 months and only has to be undone to change a headlight bulb. Call me a redneck, but $.02 worth of safety wire beats $38.00 to GM anyday.....

Jake

Thanks - the part that broke is actually the clip that is below where you are wiring into on your top picture. In the bottom picture it is the clip to the left - that is what is broken, but your fix will work just fine for me.

Thanks!

lightbg said:
:B: :B: :B: :B:
GMAN has pictures of my "mod" for this fix: I drilled a small hole in the broken nub and safety wired it to the hood bumper stop. The idea is to keep pressure on the front inside edge so the lamp doesn't pop out entirely. If Gary can't find his pics I'll post some tomorrow afternoon......

Jake

Jake did a great job on his and I did take pics....

Let me see if I can find them tonight.

GREAT JOB JAKE!

GMAN

I did the same thing and broke the clip I drilled a hole right at the top of the light and put a long screw straight down thru to where the clip normaly connected. Holds the light great and you cant see the screw with the hood closed.

Pete

Great fixes...both are...might I suggest black baling wire and a black sheetrock screw to make those fixes even less visible?

I would have used a black screw, but I was kind of freaked out when it happened, and that screw was all I had at the time. but it worked (y)

Pete

bigdaddy said:
I would have used a black screw, but I was kind of freaked out when it happened, and that screw was all I had at the time. but it worked (y)

Pete
yes it did...and very well indeed!!! (y) (y)

Sadly bigdaddy where you drilled in is what is snapped off on my Avalanche. These are great fixes, and it feels better to know I'm not the only one out there. D'oh!

Well this has turned into a total disaster.  The clip I broke off is part of a part that runs along the entire length of the core support - from side to side.  The PART alone costs $450.  :C: :C: :C:  Labor would include removing the front grille, fan shroud and lighting assemblies to access, along with some other clips and connectors.

I'm going to have to come up with a Hillbilly solution.

100 MPH tape is going to be my first solution.  When the weather turns warmer in the spring and I do my cladding and rear bumper cover, I will come up with a better solution.  That, or pray for someone to run a stop sign crossing my path with witnesses...

Well I just finished my duct tape repair.  Red/Green would be so proud.  It hold very well, only visible if you open the hood.  See how long it lasts.  Should hold until the weather turns warmer.

Back