• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

100mph power loss?

Rocinante

No doubt this problem has been covered but I couldnt find it. I hit 100 mph today and thats all the AV had to offer! :E: I assume this is due to the ignition being retarded by the computer? My ??? is will a power programmer eliminate this?

And on another topic...has anyone taken out thier rubber bed mat and had rhino lining sprayed there instead? :0: I know the mat is great about not letting things slide around. (saved me once too when I left the tailgate down) But it sure is a pain to remove/install and traps a lot of moisture and dirt! Just an idea a friend suggested! I'd like to hear any opinions or exp.

SPEED LIMITER.....GM has it set to 99 mph

some programmers will allow you to raise this but ensure you have speed rated tires

Your assumptions are correct - any of the programmers out there (HPPIII, Diablo, etc.) will allow you to raise the bar, or remove it.

But as I always say I do not advocate for one second driving three tons of Mexican metal in triple digit land. Just way to many things that could go wrong on a platform simply not designed for that kind of speed.

Yes, the limiter cut it out at 99. Like YGMN said ,you can get a programmer to take it out. I upped mine with the Predator, but as I have 35" tires now, I don't do over 85 anyhow. As far as the mat, yes, a few people have had it Rhino lined or equivalant, but the moisture under the stock one will not hurt anything.

Thanx for the quick response..ygmn and chief!!! Good point about the tires(lookin out for a brother). Lmao, about the Mexican metal! Guess for a moment I thought I was in the Corvette I always wanted :B: Any thoughts on the rhino liner? or does that belong in a diff thread?

Rhino has a lifetime guarantee as does linex... (unless u have bob put it in from his carport in front of his single wide)

As fopr rhino liner...

look in mod section...and then sub section EXTERIOR mods....

some threads on that in there....

good luck

Ditto what's been said about the rev limiter at 99 mph....on my '02, I had the Predator programming installed and yes the Av will do well in excess of 100mph...how much is unknown by me since that truck's speedo only went to 100....but trust me......and I must echo that these trucks are not meant for high speed....my test was done on empty freeway and on my own stupidity just out of curiousity. :2: My new Av '04 hasn't seen even close to that speed and never will unless in some emergency situation that requires it. These are nice cruising vehicles and can be modified for high speed, but if that's really what you wanted...you could go out and by a used 'vette or other sports car for less than you paid for your Av.

I'll add that most likely you don't drive your Av at those speeds anyways and was probably just doing like alot of people do and just testing the upper limits of your vehicle, which I am guilty of doing with just about every one I've had....so I thought I'd just answer your question for you and hope you don't try it again for yourself :)

I asked about this when I traded my 2000 Silverado for the '04 Av. Tis' true.

But let us examine the stupidity of this "speed-limiter" in rural areas...

You are pulling a (say) 4000-lb. boat & trailer on a two lane highway (1-lane, each way) and get stuck behind...

A farm tractor travelling at 25mph...
A semi-truck/trailer...
A motor home...
... and a few wheezy, local, junk cars interspersed amongst them.

Everybody tail-gaiting each other and no chance to pass them one at a time (because your Av & trailer exceed 40 feet in length).

After 20-30 minutes, you finally spot an opportunity of a passing zone with no on-coming traffic.

You gun the engine!

At 50mph you've passed the junk cars, at 70mph the motor home, at 90mph you are passing the semi... and see the oncoming car (naturally travelling without headlights on, they appear suddenly!)

At that point, you have some choices:

1. Wet your pants.
2. Try to finish passing the semi and cut off the tractor.
3. Crap your pants.
4. Hope the oncoming driver uses their shoulder of the road.
5. Curse GM for putting a speed-limiter in your vehicle, as your soul floats off to it's final destination (and wonder why you didn't convert to Islam, to get 72 virgins).

I've done 3 of the 5, above. That's why I asked.

GM Engineers must ride the G-d d@mn bus in Bombay! :7:

James

tomtuck said:
haha i would never drive mine that fast

I normally wouldn't either, but when I need another 5-10mph, I don't want some computer chip saying "No" and cutting off my engine.

In the scenario that I gave, it is typical driver behavior (tail-gating; not pulling over to allow faster vehicles to pass; not using low-beams during the day on 2-lane highways to improve visibility. And because of this ignored "common-courtesy", we now have mandated DRL's in Canada; and they are on most vehicles in the US.)

What's with this "nanny" engine monitor? I drove a GM Opel Senator, in the rain at 150mph, on the Autobahn. And Porches passed me going faster!

Go figure!

James

jrvass said:
I normally wouldn't either, but when I need another 5-10mph, I don't want some computer chip saying "No" and cutting off my engine.

In the scenario that I gave, it is typical driver behavior (tail-gating; not pulling over to allow faster vehicles to pass; not using low-beams during the day on 2-lane highways to improve visibility. And because of this ignored "common-courtesy", we now have mandated DRL's in Canada; and they are on most vehicles in the US.)

What's with this "nanny" engine monitor? I drove a GM Opel Senator, in the rain at 150mph, on the Autobahn. And Porches passed me going faster!

Go figure!

James

As a young EMT watching one die on the side of the road and the other en-route after a Corvette went off-road at 100 MPH ona back road highway left a BIG impression on me. In the scenario you outlined above if you're passing that many in a line you shouldn't be hauling.

I asked about this when I traded my 2000 Silverado for the '04 Av. Tis' true.

But let us examine the stupidity of this "speed-limiter" in rural areas...

You are pulling a (say) 4000-lb. boat & trailer on a two lane highway (1-lane, each way) and get stuck behind...

A farm tractor travelling at 25mph...
A semi-truck/trailer...
A motor home...
... and a few wheezy, local, junk cars interspersed amongst them.

Everybody tail-gaiting each other and no chance to pass them one at a time (because your Av & trailer exceed 40 feet in length).

After 20-30 minutes, you finally spot an opportunity of a passing zone with no on-coming traffic.

You gun the engine!

At 50mph you've passed the junk cars, at 70mph the motor home, at 90mph the right non-speed rated tire on your trailer blows out from the stress, your trailer cavitates from the stress, swinging the rear of your Avalanche out as the boat flies off, the shfiting weight slams your Avalanche into the semi...you get slammed and they are scraping up your remains off the road for your next of kin to plant...

Does the superchip raise the limiter past 99? I have not gotten my AV up that far yet but I have my superchip going

Chief said:
As a young EMT watching one die on the side of the road and the other en-route after a Corvette went off-road at 100 MPH ona back road highway left a BIG impression on me. In the scenario you outlined above if you're passing that many in a line you shouldn't be hauling.

Sure, it was a dangerous scenario that I painted, but it was used to make a point.

In the rolling farm country of southern MI, even passing a couple cars or a semi can be dangerous. DRL's should be mandated in the US, because most drivers don't have common sense or remember their driver's training to turn on their lights.

Speed-governors should not be mandated! Especially without full disclosure by the manufacturer that they exist.

What did you think, the first time your engine gagged at 100mph?

So what was the Corvette hauling in the hills of WA, besides "hauling ass". Was their accident due to a speed "governor"?

No disrespect intended... just curious. (BTW, a lot of Autobahn accident victims were shoveled into body bags then. I don't envy your job.)

James

jrvass said:
Sure, it was a dangerous scenario that I painted, but it was used to make a point.
In the rolling farm country of southern MI, even passing a couple cars or a semi can be dangerous.

While I don't advocate going 100mph or passing multiple cars I have been sorely tempted to prompt someone to pull over and let me pass with a light tap from my front bar. >:D
I'd never do it of course but it does come to mind.

As you enter the state of Texas you will see a sign that says "Drive Friendly, the Texas way" Since 90 percent of our roads have shoulders wide enough to be an extra traffic lane, most people here (the natives at least) will pull over and let you by. This can most often be accomplished without the one pulling over even having to slow down.

farmguy said:
As you enter the state of Texas you will see a sign that says "Drive Friendly, the Texas way" Since 90 percent of our roads have shoulders wide enough to be an extra traffic lane, most people here (the natives at least) will pull over and let you by. This can most often be accomplished without the one pulling over even having to slow down.

When we were in South Africa last year, it's almost a matter of pride to get out of the way as quickly as possible. They also have the big berms with lots of room to pull over. We need better driving manners here.

And just to stay on topic, I found the governor last night. Kind of rough the way it takes you from 99 down to 95 before kicking in the engine again.

In upper Michigan we have alot of 3 lane roads, (2 lanes in one direction and then it shifts the other way). You will get a ticket if you drive in the passing lane even on 4 lane roads.

I love rhino liner but prefer the factory bed liner. It is removable, replacable and a lot more comfortable on my knees when stacking stuff in the bed.

I do take th liner out a couple times a yar to clean and wax under it (as per the owners manual). I don't think that there is much of a rust issue. We are in the pacific Northwest, combine all the rain, mist, snow, mud, salt water, and sea spray --- sooner or later you'd expect it to rust out... not even a speck in over 2-1/2 years.

If you sprayed a liner in the bed, make sure not to plug or otherwise block all the drains.

Can't comment on the power loss, hit 90+ a couple of times on the SoCal freeways and although the truck handled it well, just didn't like going that fast being surounded by so many other cars.
As for the bed liner, I had a Vortex liner sprayed on the bottom of the bed. I like it, saved me a couple times so far. Sand, gravel, wood, rusty metal and no visible trace that any of that stuff was ever in the back of my truck ;D

That is one of my biggest pet peeves..people who will NOT allow those traveling faster to pass them. I have tried everything from tailgating to flashing my hi beams and these imbacells just don't get it.

MY other pet peeve is people who won't/don't use their turn signals. They must figure everyone else has ESP!

And lastly, I am sick and tired of people who smoke that constantly flick their cigarette ashes out the window, and then the whole butt when they are done. I have had hot ashes and butts land on my hood more than once and I am concerned about it making it's way to the cargo covers.
USE YOUR ASHTRAY OR QUIT SMOKING!

There are two states I know that actively enforce their "slow driver" laws. In New Hampshire I have seen the police pull over drivers for driving to slow and failing to yield to the long line of cars behind them. In Washington it is illegal to delay more than five vehicles, regardless of how fast they want to travel. I have also seen this enforced.

The combination fo someone going 10 or 15 under and someone wanting to go 10 or 15 over is a very dangerous combination - and I put more fault on the person going 10 or 15 under and refused to yield.

My Corvette experience was in Massachusetts, not Washington -- I have never been an EMT in Washington state, and haven't been one for 12 plus years. Also, there are parts of Washington that are VERY flat, the high desert east of the Cascades can be pancake flat with long stretches of road visible to you.

To each there own, running an Avalanche in a passing situation where the road is tight in three-digit land is REALLY dangerous in my book, doing it while pulling 4,000 pounds - I don't know, I wouldn't do it on a race track if I was the only vehicle out there, with a roll bar, helmet and fire suit, but that's just me.

I align with FSHNGUY with a slight exception of the yeilding for faster traffic.

I presume you mean the pokies that have no consideration for traffic flow and maintain a speed too far under the flow of traffic or the safe speed limit.

I won't be forced to speed over the limit while some ricer comes up well over 100 MPH and wants to pass. Yeah, I'll pull over when I can for the idiot. But I'm not going to speed up for him over the speed limit! It happens a lot in construction zones and they'd pop me first.

That speed limiter could have saved several lives, as you notice some tire speed ratings. Figure how many times an Av can roll from a speed-blown tire, over 100 MPH. :eek:

sperry said:
I align with FSHNGUY with a slight exception of the yeilding for faster traffic.

I presume you mean the pokies that have no consideration for traffic flow and maintain a speed too far under the flow of traffic or the safe speed limit.

I won't be forced to speed over the limit while some ricer comes up well over 100 MPH and wants to pass. Yeah, I'll pull over when I can for the idiot. But I'm not going to speed up for him over the speed limit! It happens a lot in construction zones and they'd pop me first.

That speed limiter could have saved several lives, as you notice some tire speed ratings. Figure how many times an Av can roll from a speed-blown tire, over 100 MPH. :eek:

I actually think that the limiter has much to do with the OEM tires and the're related speed rating. 99 MPH is 89% of the 112 MPH rating. My old Ford Probe came with H rated tires, that stopped cranking at 115 MPH - which is 89% of 130. The GT model Probe came with "V" rated tires and just kept cranking to it's top speed (between 134 to 141 depending on who you talked to)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...any engineers out there familar with NHSTA regs?

Back