• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where to tap under dash for power.

Open the drivers door, pull the cover off the end of the dash panel, then just tap into one of the fuses. You can run the ground to any bolt that attaches to metal.

This is very similar to a question I have.  I have a Sirius Plug & Play unit (FM modulator type) and want to have it tapped directly into a power supply instead of the cig lighter so that it will turn on and off with the vehicle power.  How could I do this?  I would also like it to stay running like the radio does until I open the door.  I would imagine I could do it off one of the radio power wires, but how?  Would I also use an inline fuse since I would get rid of the cig lighter plug fuse?

Sorry KnightMare, not trying to hijack your thread, just hoping I can get my answer at about the same time.  LOL

The RAP you would want for the Sirius tuner, needs to tap from a single source on the BCM. That source is intended to just run a relay. If you have a sunroof, it's easy, if not, you need to add a relay. I need to see if that BCM source will work on Av's without a S/R before I print up the simple instr.

12V constant is available at the Head unit - Large orange wire (NOT THE SMALL ONE!!) that's protected by the radio's 15A fuse, so don't load it much.

Many grounds but unless it generates a ground loop noise, just tap a secure point on the dash frame. There's grounds everywhere, which general location? Upper, lower? Right or left side?, Console? Overhead?

Switched IGN is available in several places at the BCM.  (Not a good place if you just "hang" a heavier load on it - Blow a BCM fuse and your Av could go dead or weird things happen!)

I'll see if there's a safer tap, but first, is this for IGN only, ACC (both) or RAP (both with the delayed power)? and remember to state "where" as I mentioned prior.

Sperry....I need to get off my duff and do this. ?A while ago I installed the PAI interface for my MP3 player, but it is not powered, i.e. my mp3 and XM radio do not work with the key off and RAP power still on, so I need to tap into a RAP connection. ?

I have the sunroof, so are you saying this should be easy to do?

Danke,

gatorray

Yep! Easy-er...

Look at the dark green wire here on the S/R relay: Run the new wire from it, over to your accessory. (Fuse that wire as close to the S/R relay as practical.)

index.php

The location is up behind the right kick panel or behind the rt pillar covering. (Listen for the click when a front door opens). I'll see if I can find the more exact location (drawing).

Attachments

• 834288_Sunroof-03.gif
    834288_Sunroof-03.gif
    87.6 KB · Views: 409
On mine, I don't have a SR.  I am really thinking about mounting it right below the cig lighter area.  I have a square cubby hole there for some reason and the Sirius would probably fit just right there.  I would like to tap into a RAP source, but I'm unfamiliar with the term BCM.  Thanks for looking into this stuff so far.

VIN, the square cubby hole is for a switch box on some models, it holds switches for lights, traction control or quadrasteer.

Flint  :B:

sperry said:
Look at the dark green wire here on the S/R relay: Run the new wire from it, over to your accessory. (Fuse that wire as close to the S/R relay as practical.)

Hey Sperry, using the sunroof RAP is a great idea!  But are you suggesting a direct connection for power to the green wire or did you mean this should be used for a trigger on a relay to the other device (inverter, FM modulator, etc.)?

OK, I'll try this again after my text I spent a while typing just disappeared!

Watch the loading if you have the S/R. The relay DOES NOT supply the motor current (in the 03 & later anyway). It supplies the controller / modes. If you want to source more RAP current, I would tap on the black wire (755) to run another relay coil.

For those without a S/R, (including me) Tap the BCM as you see in the upper left of the previous schematic. There's likely no wire there or a terminal. Use a 12089649 terminal ($.88 ea. list, but in a 10/bag), if needed.

Note that I hadn't checked if this is an unprogrammed or "dead" output in trucks without a S/R! So, remove the panel under the steering column and access the Body Control Module. (it's a short way under there and to the lower right side of your st. column.)

If you have power there in IGN & ACC (and RAP if you could squeeze under there and check it with the door shut!) If there's 12Volts, proceed...

Place that terminal in B3 of connector 2 (Gray). It would be between a white, and a Light Green/black wire (either empty, or the dark blue wire). Run it to the relay coil of a standard SPDT automotive relay (even Radio Shack has these). Place a 1KΩ resistor accross it's coil; the other end of the coil needs a secure ground. Hopefully you know what to do with the rest. Wire that relay similar to the one for the S/R relay, but in this case, for your device(s). Just remember to properly fuse from what you're sourcing the relay contacts with!

This relay will klunk when accessories power up and when the RAP dies. So choose it's location for more silence if you wish. Maybe pipe insulation will work. It wouldn't bother me, but may annoy others...

Further info (images) which are similar to what  you want to do are in my Door Chime-killer mod, but that's another connector. Refer to the pic's in the first page.

Here's the connections and the connector C2 for 03 & later (to date).

BCM-03_C2.gif

Attachments

• BCM-03_C2.gif
    BCM-03_C2.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 280
Thanks for this. I tapped the wire coming out of the sunroof relay for a RAP connection. In my 2004 it is Dark Purple.

If your truck didn't come with a sunroof and you are pulling directly from the BCM please make sure you use it to run a relay or you may find your BCM damaged at some point. It is intended to only run a relay so keep that in mind.

Back