Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/30/14 11:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Stalling.... Dealer Stumped  (Read 37518 times)
ralphm

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 01/05/05 07:16 PM »

OK guys any ideas? 2002 2500 with 26,000 miles. Has stalled 4 times in last several days. Engine cranks ok, let it sit awhile and it restarts. Dealer has had it 3 days and it happened to him also. He reads no codes,  asked him about "crankshaft position sensor" and he says it checks ok even when engine won't start. He has been in contact with GM Tech Center but still no answers. HELP! banghead veryveryangry
I CHNGE
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Always Modding the Mod !!!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/05 07:26 PM »

Has a fuel pressure test been run yet?

While it could be other things as well...it sounds very similar to loss of fuel pressure...

'04OnyxBlackZ71-4.10G80
Ordered11/05/03Born11/24/03Adopted12/15/03
XP-797BlackSpy18X9+325/60/18 Nitto T/Gs
Rancho Lift- w/9000XL shocks
Dual YellowTop Batteries
Strobes-FTAmbers-All4+FogOnHigh-885Fog-
PIAA 9006+PRO 80XT+60XT
SamcoHoses-Bumper+TailLightGuards
NFabNerfs-VRBars-Chrome AMP FuelDoor-DiamondPlateSteps
PlatinumCluster-AVICN1-BackUpCam-& more...
Just Do It!
sperry
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/05 07:34 PM »

Weird that it's not storing codes. Starving / lean fuel should set a couple of P-codes.

Plugged up cats? Strange @ 26K...

Bad / contaminated fuel?

Aftermarket alarm engine kill?

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
jt2500

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/05 08:03 PM »

I will put a 100 dollars on it right now, that you have a bad crank position sensor.  I had the same problem about 5 months ago, do a search and you will find my posts.  My 02 2500 would stall out of nowhere, over and over again.  The dealer replaced the fuel pump, replaced the throtel  body, and fuel filter, the truck even stalled on the way out the door after the throtel body!  all that until I sugested for them to replace the crank sensor (due to research done on this site) and that was the fix. 

02' Indigo 2500 4X4, loaded
Mods....ambers..Remote start..K&N Drop..Waag Brush guard..PIAA supper white HI/LO..PIAA 520 Fog lights..PIAA wippers..vent shades..Tints ..CF dash kit..SS blue bowtie..Rancho 9000 front shocks..torsion lfit..2 inch rear wheel spacers..Power slot rotors / hawk pads.. 285 BFG KO's
jt2500

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/05 08:06 PM »

I have sugestged this already to at least 2 other 2500 owners and was correct.  From what I read on this site, from an old post, its a common problem.  Hope this helps.  good luck

Mods....ambers..Remote start..K&N Drop..Waag Brush guard..PIAA supper white HI/LO..PIAA 520 Fog lights..PIAA wippers..vent shades..Tints ..CF dash kit..SS blue bowtie..Rancho 9000 front shocks..torsion lfit..2 inch rear wheel spacers..Power slot rotors / hawk pads.. 285 BFG KO's
sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/05 08:16 PM »

Or this?

Document ID# 1565073
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

99-03 GEN III Engine Misfire at Idle Cold and Possible P0171 and/or P0174 -kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 LR4 LM4 LM7 LQ4 crack air hesitate intermittent internal intake leak lean miss power rough surge vacuum P0300 #PIP3232 - (Nov 15, 2004)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.
Condition/Concern:

99 through 03 GEN III truck engines may experience any of the following:

1. A cold rough idle that diminishes as the engine warms up.
   2. Possible DTCs P0171, P0174, or P0300.
   3. Random misfires at idle.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Check for leaking intake manifold seals around the intake ports. The intake gasket seals may be leaking around the intake ports, causing a lean condition. Many times they will leak around the bottom side of the port, making it a challenge to detect the vacuum leak. The technician may also note lower than normal MAF readings if the seals are leaking around the ports. If leaking intake gasket seals are found, they should be replaced. The intake plenum should also be checked for warpage that may cause an uneven clamping pressure of the seal. If the plenum is found to be warped, it will need to be replaced with new seals. Intake Manifold Cylinder Head Deck Flatness specifications are located in SI.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(99 00 01 02 03 C1 C2 C3 K1 K2 K3 LR4 LM4 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 Chevrolet Silverado Tahoe Suburban Avalanche Express Trailblazer ) and (99 00 01 02 03 C1 C2 C3 K1 K2 K3 LR4 LM4 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 GMC Sierra Savana Yukon Denalli Envoy) and (02 03 K6 K7 K8 Cadillac Escalade) and (03 Hummer N2)

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
OviedoAv
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

DougyD wants to give me a hug!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/05 08:18 PM »

Trust me on this one.....It is your Crank Shaft Position Sensor.............
It has been proven over ,and over here, on the '02 2500's, that is what your problem is.
sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/05 08:22 PM »

`Still looking for that CPS bulletin!

Meanwhile,  another:

Document ID# 1416911
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

Engine Misfire due to Injector Fretting Corrosion - kw 2.2 3.1 3.4 3.8 4.2 4.3 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 adaptor chuggle fuel hard idle lamp light L36 L1 L18 L61 LA1 LG8 LL8 LU3 LR4 LM7 LQ9 LQ4 LN2 MIL misfire #PI01353A - (Dec 19, 2003)

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

This is a supplement to bulletin 03-06-04-030 for driveability symptoms of long or hard starts, chuggle, rough idle and light or intermittent misfire. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may also illuminate.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Analysis of returned Multec II injectors indicate that terminal fretting corrosion may also be responsible for the conditions described in this bulletin. Fretting corrosion (microscopic in nature) is nearly impossible to detect in the field. Symptoms of fretting corrosion may be a miss that is corrected after the injectors have been disconnected and then reconnected cleaning the terminals in the process. The most effective method to correct this condtion per field comments is to remove the connector and apply/inject dielectric grease, P/N 12377900 (in Canada, P/N 10953529) to the female terminal. Be sure to cover both cavities and reconnect the injector. Please refer to bulletin 03-06-04-030 and/or June 2003 TechLink for further information.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

(00, 01, 02, 03 Buick Century, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Regal) and (02, 03 Buick Rendezvous) and (02, 03 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT) and (03 Cadillac Escalade ESV) and (00 Chevrolet S-10) and (00, 01, 02 Chevrolet Camaro, Lumina) and (00, 01, 02, 03, 04 Chevrolet Cavalier, Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Venture) and (01, 02, 03, 04 Chevrolet Express) and (02, 03, 04 Chevrolet Astro, Avalanche, Trailblazer) and (03 Chevrolet Blazer, S-10, Trailblazer EXT) and (00 GMC Sonoma) and (00, 01, 02, 03, 04 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL) and (01, 02, 03, 04 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Savana) and ( 02, 03, 04 GMC Envoy, Safari) and ( 03, 04 GMC Envoy XL, Jimmy, Sonoma) and ( 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 Oldsmobile Alero, Silhouette) and (02, 03, 04 Oldsmobile Bravada) and (00, 01 Pontiac Transport) and (00, 01, 02 Pontiac Firebird) and (00, 01, 02, 03, 04 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Sunfire) and (01, 02, 03, 04 Pontiac Aztek) and (02, 03, 04 Pontiac Montana) and (03, 04 HUMMER H2) with 2.2L, 3.1L, 3.4L, 3.8L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, or 8.1L Engine (VINs F, 4, J, E, K, S, X,V, T, N, U, G - RPOs L61, LN2, LG8, LA1, L36, LL8, LU3, LR4, LM7, LQ9, LQ4, L18) and Multec II Fuel Injectors)

jt2500

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/05 08:24 PM »

Guys,

Im telling you, my dealer had no idea about this, and replaced everything on my truck and it kept stalling.  This all happend to me around 27K miles 4-5 months ago. 

OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/05 08:29 PM »

Seems like I am one of the few '02 2500's that hasn't had this problem. I will count my blessing though, and if it does it, I know exactly what I will have replaced.
sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/05 08:38 PM »

Found it!, but not a TSB...

A damaged crankshaft reluctor wheel

A damaged crankshaft reluctor wheel can result in different symptoms depending on the severity and location of the damage.

* Systems with electronic communications, DIS or coil per cylinder, and SEVERE reluctor ring damage may exhibit periodic loss of crankshaft position, stop delivering a signal, and then re-sync the crankshaft position.
    * Systems with electronic communication, DIS or coil per cylinder, and SLIGHT reluctor ring damage may exhibit no loss of crankshaft position and no misfire may occur. However, a P0300 DTC may be set.
    * Systems with mechanical communications, high voltage switch, and SEVERE reluctor ring damage may cause additional pulses and effect fuel and spark delivery to the point of generating a P0300 DTC or P0336.

ralphm

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 01/06/05 12:24 PM »

Thanks Guys,
Dealer claims fuel pressure checks ok. When he checked crankshaht sensor in the no start condition he says it checks ok. I'll give him 1 more day to play and then insist on the replacement of the sensor. 
RichUF
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/06/05 12:48 PM »

Start familiarizing yourself with your state's lemon laws.  I'm serious.  I think the AV is the absolute best vehicle on the road, but if a service department backed by engineers of the largest auto manufuacturer in the world can't figure out how to fix their modern marvel, then ask them for one that works.

I was incredibly patient with my lemon while GM tried to figure it out, and in hind site I probably shouldn't have been.  Only time will tell  Undecided

[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]
ralphm

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01/06/05 05:18 PM »

Dealer called and says he FOUND IT. Claims the alternator has an intermittant internal short. It finally shorted completely and took a fusible link with it. Will be repaired tomorrow. I can accept a short shutting the engine down, but why wouldn't the engine start right away afterwards?? Guess I'll see tomorrow. Thanks to all again.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01/06/05 05:40 PM »

That would be a new one on me Huh Roll Eyes  Keep us posted.
ralphm

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 01/08/05 02:27 PM »

Problem Fixed. Talked to the mechanic who worked on the truck. After he changed the alternator and fusible link it stalled again. This time he was able to get a code. Crankshaft position sensor! A lot of you guys were right. He believes he couldn't read it before because the intermittant short was causing the voltage to drop and the code was lost. Smiley Smiley Cheesy
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 01/08/05 02:37 PM »

Has a fuel pressure test been run yet?

While it could be other things as well...it sounds very similar to loss of fuel pressure...

good point.  i had the same system symptoms in a Z-28 some years ago.  it was lack of fuel pressure.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
jasonalden

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 01/27/05 11:32 AM »

A friend of mine is currently having this problem - engine stalls out almost randomly.  Truck is 2002 with under 25,000mi.  Truck is at the dealer.  Dealer wanted to clean fuel injectors but could not promise to solve the problem.  Will keep you all posted with the process.
ralphm

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 01/27/05 06:54 PM »

The mechanic who repaired my truck showed me the defective sensor. Instead of being straight it had a slight curve in it. This is caused by heat ,over time, and eventually the sensor is too far out of position and the engine quits. As it cools it may move just enough  for the sensor to read again and the engine will restart. The replacements are designed slightly different to avoid distorting.
corey

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 08/29/05 12:35 PM »

My 2002 2500 has been stalling and after checking the fuel filter and pump myself, I gave up and took it to the dealer. They immediatly suggested the cranks shaft position sensor. Seeing that everyone else has had this same problem and this fixed it, gives me hope that the dealer is right.
Thanks.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 08/29/05 12:39 PM »

My 2002 2500 has been stalling and after checking the fuel filter and pump myself, I gave up and took it to the dealer. They immediatly suggested the cranks shaft position sensor. Seeing that everyone else has had this same problem and this fixed it, gives me hope that the dealer is right.
Thanks.

That is your problem, take my word for it. Guaranteed Welcome!
corey

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 08/30/05 09:24 AM »

Yep. I got it back yesterday afternoon and it runs better with no stalls.
$110 for parts (I also had a wiring harness that needed replacing)
$583 for labor.
What a racket.
58vette

yesterday's chevrolet

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 08/31/05 03:02 PM »

Ok so get this ...
two days ago my 02 avalanche 4x4 2500 w/ the 8100 stalls five miles down the road after
fueling up  . I suspect bad gas / clogged fuel filter  or pump bad but I'm stranded on the road
so after it cools down it starts up and I try to make it home to diagnose the problem better.
well it didn't make it very far , it seems that as soon as it gets up to operating temp it dies.
it doesn't matter if it is at idle or 30 mph it just dies. the problem started a 11:00 am I live
25 miles away , I didn't get the truck home to 10:30 pm . every time it died I would try
something else . first I checked the fuel pressure at the rail seemed good , next time I changed
the plugs , the old ones were white . still no change .. next the fuel filter , Nope nothing..
well I get up the next morning and decide to use the internet for what it was designed for...
 chevy I found this site and this thread and am convinced that my problem is the crank sensor ckp
because I have no spark when the condition happens.. I talk to the dealer and they say that's
highly unlikely they're sure it's the fuel pump , they want to tow it in drop the tank change the
 fuel pump Yada yada .. about $1,000.  or so .

instead I go to autozone put a deposit down to borrow the obd scanner , it comes up po335 ckp
crank sensor I think to myself those guys on that site are Awesome . so I buy the crank sensor
and the dealer mechanic said "good Luck buddy "  $98.20 total  go home cut up both hands ,
cursed every Chevy designer but I finally changed it out Problem solved ! Cheesy it runs like new again!
well the bottom line is YOU GUYS ROCK ! and I'm  proud to join a group of avalanche owners with
the common sense that you guys have... thanks up& running in SW Florida again......
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 08/31/05 03:10 PM »

Ok so get this ...
two days ago my 02 avalanche 4x4 2500 w/ the 8100 stalls five miles down the road after
fueling up  . I suspect bad gas / clogged fuel filter  or pump bad but I'm stranded on the road
so after it cools down it starts up and I try to make it home to diagnose the problem better.
well it didn't make it very far , it seems that as soon as it gets up to operating temp it dies.
it doesn't matter if it is at idle or 30 mph it just dies. the problem started a 11:00 am I live
25 miles away , I didn't get the truck home to 10:30 pm . every time it died I would try
something else . first I checked the fuel pressure at the rail seemed good , next time I changed
the plugs , the old ones were white . still no change .. next the fuel filter , Nope nothing..
well I get up the next morning and decide to use the internet for what it was designed for...
 chevy I found this site and this thread and am convinced that my problem is the crank sensor ckp
because I have no spark when the condition happens.. I talk to the dealer and they say that's
highly unlikely they're sure it's the fuel pump , they want to tow it in drop the tank change the
 fuel pump Yada yada .. about $1,000.  or so .

instead I go to autozone put a deposit down to borrow the obd scanner , it comes up po335 ckp
crank sensor I think to myself those guys on that site are Awesome . so I buy the crank sensor
and the dealer mechanic said "good Luck buddy "  $98.20 total  go home cut up both hands ,
cursed every Chevy designer but I finally changed it out Problem solved ! Cheesy it runs like new again!
well the bottom line is YOU GUYS ROCK ! and I'm  proud to join a group of avalanche owners with
the common sense that you guys have... thanks up& running in SW Florida again......

Welcome! to the site.  Where in SW FL are you located?

Little secret - although OviedoAV can correctly identify this fault, do NOT let him get wind of the fact that you think he has common sense.  Seriously Wink

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 08/31/05 03:13 PM »

congrats on getting it fixed and  Welcome!

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
sperry

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 08/31/05 05:15 PM »

And not just the CKP sensor fault knowledge here either.. Smiley

Welcome! to CAFCNA 58vette! Join in and enjoy!

DBDub

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 10/14/05 08:53 AM »

Thanks for this thread.
I have a 2500 '02 Avalanche.
It had the random stalling detailed by several in this thread.
Took it in to dealer, they futzed with it for a week, got no useful codes from it the one time it stalled.  Told me to replace the fuel pump and filter.  Charged me a fortune and it didn't fix the problem.
I took it in to a different dealer - it finally stalled.  They got a trouble code that had something to do with the crankshaft position sensor but they didn't think it had anything to do with the stalling.
I told them flat out to replace the CPS after reading this thread.
No more stalls.

Shouldn't this be a recall?  My wife drives the truck and when it stalls she barely has the strength to corrall the unpowered brakes and steering to control the truck.  Is a safetey hazard.

Thanks to all for figuring out this problem for me.
GreatWest

Your actions are your responsibility.

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: 01/20/06 05:11 AM »

Same issue and posted in another thread, was pointed to this thread by another AV owner that had the same issue.

Will be replacing the crank shaft position sensor this weekend to resolve the problem.

Also posted with the NHTS site as this is obviously more important of an issue than the tail gate strap recall. It's not a lengthy process to post a complaint to the NHTS - go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and file a complaint. You'll need your AV's vin and milage. I even pointed to this forum for more information. Described the issue and the resolution. The only way we're going to get Chevy to replace this at their expense is to complain - make noise people! I found several other similar complaints though the person filing the complaint didn't know what the resolution is. I also filed telling the nhts that the complaints with similar symptoms are most likely the same issue and that they (the nhts) may be overlooking this fact. Hey it's all about numbers people. GO POST!
« Last Edit: 01/20/06 05:17 AM by GreatWest » Logged

GW - 2002 2500 4x4 Vortec 8.1L
         Mods - Electric Fans, Ambers, Oil Filter Relocation Kit, 7" touch screen interfaced to computer for GPS and OBDII software for real time driver telemetry.

N7TRK
KC

'02 Avalanche 2500

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 03/27/06 04:41 PM »

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the great information on this topic.     My truck ('02 2500) started stalling - he's got about 77k miles on him.  I took it to my mechanic and he kept it for a day with no results (although it did stall on him as well).  I then checked the forum and sure enough - there was my exact problem.  I told him to order the crankshaft position sensor, he replaced it and I haven't had any problems since.  Thanks again!

kc
fleckj

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 04/25/06 06:21 AM »

I have a 2002 2500 with a 8100 4x4 .
2 times now driving down the road and my engine stalls
It starts right back up
From reading all the replies it sounds like it is the crank
shaft positioning sensor
does anyone knw where this sensor is located?
is it easy for me to replace myself
PLEASE HELP
P.S THIS SIGHT IS WONDERFULL
jt2500

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 04/25/06 06:31 AM »

Had mine done at the dealer, fixed the problem.  From what I am told, it is a pain to get to and replace. Dealer did it for me under warranty (last year).

ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 04/25/06 06:32 AM »

It starts right back up
shaft positioning sensor
PLEASE HELP

I remember one of the threads about it in this section had pictures.....

and it has been a while....

Good luck

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
SamHouseIII

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 04/25/06 08:05 AM »

I will put a 100 dollars on it right now, that you have a bad crank position sensor.  I had the same problem about 5 months ago, do a search and you will find my posts.  My 02 2500 would stall out of nowhere, over and over again.  The dealer replaced the fuel pump, replaced the throtel  body, and fuel filter, the truck even stalled on the way out the door after the throtel body!  all that until I sugested for them to replace the crank sensor (due to research done on this site) and that was the fix. 

Ditto

Sam

Commitment, Integrity, Results!!

Don't knock road kill till you try it!!

Dune
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 04/25/06 08:31 AM »

did anyone notice how many new people signed up and posted in this thread?

If you guys didn't get a formal  Welcome!.... well here you go

Welcome! to the club!

If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.
GreatWest

Your actions are your responsibility.

WWW Awards
« Reply #34 on: 04/25/06 04:48 PM »

It starts right back up
shaft positioning sensor
PLEASE HELP

Sensor is located on the driver's side of the engine almost directly behind the head and down by where the transmission bolts to the engine block, just above that area. On the big block (I have one of those) it's very difficult to get to. I took mine to the dealer. From what I hear, the small block can be done at home but it's a lot of work and small hands are a must. Being that you have a big block, I'd suggest the dealer to the work. If when you tell them what to replace they look shocked like they have never had to replace one, take your AV to another dealer. The one I used knew exactly what I was talking about. Had my AV in and out in a few hours.

Good Luck

GW - 2002 2500 4x4 Vortec 8.1L
         Mods - Electric Fans, Ambers, Oil Filter Relocation Kit, 7" touch screen interfaced to computer for GPS and OBDII software for real time driver telemetry.

N7TRK
kgt

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 04/25/06 08:10 PM »

I am a gm tech and the 8.1 ckp sensor is a p.i.a. to replace, the engine has to be cold so you can ram your hand way up from underneath and pray that the plastic stays together while you try to work in a tight spot to say the least and pry it up out of the hole(its about 4 inches long) the new sensor is updated with less rubber o-rings along it length, this is done to prevent what happens to most, they seize in the block......
fleckj

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 05/08/06 06:43 AM »

You guys were right , I changed my crank sensor and have not had a problem since.
What a pain to get to.
thanks for everyones help
Downsouth

2002 Avalanche 2500

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 06/05/06 03:11 PM »

This is PRECISELY what's been going on with mine.  Changed the plugs, wires, made sure everything I could do with my meager big block knowldege was in line...and the damn thing still died....WHILE MY GIRLFRIEND (A whopping 120 lb'er) was driving it in the 5th lane of I285 around Atlanta and had to battle the beast all the way over to the shoulder against 18-wheelers going 80 mph.

Yes...I got a nasty call from her.

I've got an extended warranty on it and it's at 65K miles...my extended goes to 100K so I wonder if this will be covered under it.

2002 Avalanche 2500, Westin Bull Bar, Hella 500's, Air Raid intake, 4" Magnaflow dual exhaust, Billet Grill, 2 Kenwood KDC-SW1, cladding decals, factory bug shield
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 06/05/06 07:11 PM »

Downsouth...get the CPS changed, that is the problem....Well, it is the problem if you are driving an '02, 2500. Good luck, and welcome!
Avalanche35us

Chevrolet Avalanche....There is no substitute!

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 06/05/06 07:29 PM »

I have a 2002 2500 as well i have yet to notice any stalling. The one thing i do notice is that if i whomp down on pedal while in park quickly it seems to want to stall then pick back up in RPM's would this sensor  cause this too? maybe the beginning of the thing going bad? 35,856 miles on it

2002  Avalanche 2500 Victory Red mods include....Firestone destination mud terrains 265's , Magnaflow exhaust, Advanced Engineering cold air induction system, Superchips power programer. The front end  tweeked some to allow for even ride height, factory Avalanche bug sheild.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 06/06/06 02:11 AM »

Wow, that some low miles! I have had hat little stalling problem as yu describe, but I think this is something different. Most people describe this as shutting down while driving, kind of like a vapor lock.
Avalanche35us

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 06/06/06 04:49 PM »

Yeah it is like the RPM's drop down so low and it hesitates before it picks up , seems like it wants to stall. Damm that drives me nuts banghead  I was thinking of turning up idle a few and seeing if that helps out.

2002  Avalanche 2500 Victory Red mods include....Firestone destination mud terrains 265's , Magnaflow exhaust, Advanced Engineering cold air induction system, Superchips power programer. The front end  tweeked some to allow for even ride height, factory Avalanche bug sheild.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 06/09/06 07:04 AM »

Yeah it is like the RPM's drop down so low and it hesitates before it picks up , seems like it wants to stall. Damm that drives me nuts banghead I was thinking of turning up idle a few and seeing if that helps out.

Yes, I have had that also. I am hoping that it is not a precurser to the CPS going bad... Roll Eyes
Avalanche35us

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 06/09/06 05:55 PM »

Well i put in the performance program( 93 octane or better) Went and filled it up with super, from a 1/4 of a tank....so enjoyable    banghead  well i notice throttle response was somewhat better on the low side of the rpm's. It didn't drop below 600 at a full idle down. I talked to my dealer today about the trouble told him what information i found here and he noted it and said he would cover that sensor if it gets worse. Thanks for the heads up on this troubling issue.
Jay

Downsouth

2002 Avalanche 2500

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 07/10/06 07:49 AM »

Got it fixed on Friday.  Truck was 280 miles over warranty...imagine that.   banghead

Total damage $348.60.  Not too bad actually.

Drove the truck 600 miles this weekend in GA heat and not one shut down.

My dealer did recommend that those of us with these issues make sure the DOT knows about it and Chevy should do a recall.

2002 Avalanche 2500, Westin Bull Bar, Hella 500's, Air Raid intake, 4" Magnaflow dual exhaust, Billet Grill, 2 Kenwood KDC-SW1, cladding decals, factory bug shield
Fatboyrules

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 08/11/06 02:40 PM »

I have a 2002 Avalanche 2500 with an 8.1. I've read through this thread and I think that I have the same problem. For about a month now whille driving the engine will stall. Sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes it takes a while. It runs fine all the time except for the stalling. Do you think its the CPS. sounds like it to me. Thanks for any insight  I find tons of info about my AV on this site,its great here.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 08/12/06 07:54 PM »

Fatboy, definitely your problem. Go get the CPS replaced, you will be good to go! Let us know how it works out. Good luck!
Fatboyrules

Awards
« Reply #47 on: 08/13/06 05:14 AM »

I'm sure the problem will be fixed, it goes in tuesday and I'm telling them to just change the cps. I had it in the shop three weeks ago and they said that it was a broken wire and it was all set. I looked on my bill last night and they listed the codes that came up and the first code was po336 or something like that. I read in this thread that that was the code for the cps. I would like to thank you guys in advance for your help. You are saving me alot of $$$$. The dealer does'nt seem to know whats going wrong and it seems they will just be troubleshooting from my wallet.Thanks again for your help. This is my new favorite website.
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 08/13/06 08:43 AM »

Yes, that sems to be one of the biggest problems with the CPS. For some reason, no dealer seems to be able to troubleshoot it. But, 100% of the time so far, if there is a 2002, 2500 with stalling problems, that is the fix. Why do we learn, and they can't? But, knock on wood, I am on my 2nd , 2002, 2500, and have not had the problem with either. Let us know how it works. PS....welcome to the site! Welcome!
kgt

Awards
« Reply #49 on: 08/13/06 12:01 PM »

I work at a dealer, its not that no dealer can dia. it, its that we understand that there are sooo many other reasons for a stall out, to asume that every 8.1 that stalls interm is caused by a crank sensor would be a mistake leading to alot of unhappy people, interm problems are very hard to dia, a person can make educated guesses all day long( i have replaced MANY ckp sensors on 8.1's) on phantom stalls, the problem with that is that it can get very expensive for the customer for  parts and labor so if we are wrong at making a educated guess the dealer is expected to pay for it on the next visit, and that is no way to make money ,(remember that they always come in running, most of the time there is no codes set, even if there is a code set its a history code, meaning the condition is no longer present and the flow chart will lead to a dead end) now after a while you start to see a pattern of faults on some engines/platforms which might reinforce your educated guess....just a little view from the "other " side. Cheers!

Fatboyrules

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 08/16/06 04:44 AM »

Hi everyone, I got my AV back today. Cps cost 247.00 parts and labor. It must have been a P.i.a. to change because the garage had it for a lot longer than they said they would. The service manager said that the old one broke, so it took them a long time to get it out. Anyway I'm back on the road. My AV seems to run a little better now too. Whoever said that a cps was the problem add another to your list. Thanks for all the help everbody.
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 08/16/06 04:45 AM »

Good to hear.

The e-diagnosis of CPS is still batting 100% here Smiley

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
paweng

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 05/28/07 08:39 PM »

Well my 2002 at 120000 is starting to exhibit the stalling problem but my DTC keeps coming up P0342 is that because the engine stalls and the output goes low. My dealer has been stumped as well. I am going to have them replace the crankshaft position sensor and see what happens and then post back the results. Wish me luck!
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #53 on: 05/29/07 06:30 AM »

More than likely it will fix it if you have a 2500
Btw Welcome! to the club, where ya from

2003 2500
Bullmastiff

It's all about the Big Dawgs!!

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 06/05/07 06:07 AM »

2002 2500 62K Showing the signs of a bad CPS. At first I thought it was my FIPK/MAF (was the only thing that had changed)... Has anyone called Customer Service to see if they are going to handle this?  It seems it's not if your CPS goes bad but when your CPS goes bad.  banghead

2002 - 2500 AV (Tow Truck)
2003 - ZR2 Blazer (Toy)
Stagecoach

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 06/10/07 05:40 AM »

banghead I have been calling every dealer in the area, called customer service, and made a report to NHTSA and still no help to get mine repaired. One dealer won't replace the CPS because there is no code to indicate a problem with it. Even though I have told them I will pay for the job, they won't do it. Customer service gave me the run around with no results. NHTSA called me back after filling out a report and promised action would be taken, but nothing there either. Someone is going to get hurt due to this issue of stalling out on the highway in traffic before any proper action is taken.   

banghead banghead banghead banghead

2002 Black Onyx 2500 (2500  Nation), Chrome door handles, Bow Tie leather seats
OviedoAv

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 06/10/07 09:15 AM »

They wouldn't change it even if you offered to pay??? What the heck? find another dealer, get it replaced and your problem will b solved. This doesn't affect all 2002, 2500's , as I had 2 of them with no probs. But, the 2002, 2500's is th eonly version thta is affected by the bad CPS.
muskyfins

Sometimes she even lets me drive it!

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 06/11/07 08:41 PM »

"Holy Crap"-Frank Barone

Who knew there were so many '02's with this problem???  But let me add a strange twist....when mine dies, the tach goes nuts (as expected a little), shift selector changes position (although actual gear remains the same) and a few other dashboard electrical gremlins.  Anyone else see this stuff too???

PS, I sold my auto repair business THREE DAYS before this started!!!!  (all diagnostic equip part of sale)
 Beating

2002 2500 4WD, King Cobra Ram Air, Flowmaster 50 series Big Block, 4.11 gears, custom satellite phone antenna, EVERY factory option, window vents, more to come........
WILDFIRE
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 06/11/07 08:47 PM »

"Holy Crap"-Frank Barone

Who knew there were so many '02's with this problem???  But let me add a strange twist....when mine dies, the tach goes nuts (as expected a little), shift selector changes position (although actual gear remains the same) and a few other dashboard electrical gremlins.  Anyone else see this stuff too???

PS, I sold my auto repair business THREE DAYS before this started!!!!  (all diagnostic equip part of sale)
 Beating
welcome to the club muskyfins
that sounds like a ignition switch going bad

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
muskyfins

Sometimes she even lets me drive it!

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 06/11/07 09:02 PM »

PS-I have at times suspected anti theft/passkey system, but security light never on (or never noticed)  Also, truck WILL NOT restart quickly;ususallty takes 3-5 minutes, then starts no problem.

2002 2500 4WD, King Cobra Ram Air, Flowmaster 50 series Big Block, 4.11 gears, custom satellite phone antenna, EVERY factory option, window vents, more to come........
Davvid
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Believe it or not,My Life is based on a true story

WWW Awards
« Reply #60 on: 05/22/08 10:29 PM »

"Holy Crap"-Frank Barone

Beating

Ya mine does all that dash stuff also, kinda scary when your flying along and your engine kills, you want to shift to neutral, but the shifter says your in second but you know your not. lol
But anyway I just wanted to thank everyone that took the time to post here, especially the mechanics that said exactly what I was seeing and needed to know and hear.
I change everything from my airfilter to throttle sensor and I was getting the crankshaft code and when I pulled my starter and it was not up there I was pist. I looked around and thought I saw it between the fire wall and back of the engine were only a flea could access. And after looking here I went ahead and did it myself and it was broken but not completely in half, thank God!!
 Well I drove it all day and it is running sooooo nice and doesn't even hesitate!!!
Thankyou everybody You rock!

2002, Indago Blue, 3/4 ton, 4x4, 8.1 LT., Stock,  Flowmaster Muffler, 318,000 miles. 5-21-2011
Stagecoach

Awards
« Reply #61 on: 05/22/08 11:19 PM »

Welcome! to the club.

Glad we were able to help before any damage done to property or person. If it hadn't been for this site I would probably still be dealing with this. I have gained much info and made several new friends here and at GTG's I have been to. Stay watching and posting. Thumbs up!

By the way since I had the crank sensor replaced, I haven't done anyting under the hood except routine service and she runs fine. I recently picked up on the MAF sensor cleaning from this site and that made a positive impact on the idling and fuel mileage.

2002 Black Onyx 2500 (2500  Nation), Chrome door handles, Bow Tie leather seats
mykelsanner

Awards
« Reply #62 on: 09/09/08 03:56 PM »

I purchased a 2002 Avalanche 2500 4x4 8.1L 496CI in May 2008, only had 68,000 miles on it! I was very excited, haha. This is a NICE truck, def. fell in love with the AVs. About a month ago I started having the stalling issues and thought it was the fuel pump (come to find out this thing has 2 tanks and 2 fuel pumps).

I let the problem go as it didn't happen very frequently and everytime it has happened, the truck has started right back up. Finally the engine sputtered and died and the Crankshaft Position Sensor code was thrown. I googled the ckps and found this website.

You guys have been a major help and I just wanted to thank everyone that has posted and kept up with their posts. THANKS!!!

I gave it a look, and it appears in order to change the ckps the trans is going to have to be dropped, being that I've got a trip to Idaho this weekend, I had to take it to a shop to get the new ckps put in.

I'll update you guys on the condition after my trip.

Thanks again! Thumbs up!
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 09/09/08 04:01 PM »

The old crankshaft position sensor in the 02's problem, glad you got it fixed.

Welcome! to the club
« Last Edit: 09/10/08 12:10 PM by MichiganSilver03 » Logged

2003 2500
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 09/10/08 11:07 AM »

I...I gave it a look, and it appears in order to change the ckps the trans is going to have to be dropped, being that I've got a trip to Idaho this weekend, I had to take it to a shop to get the new ckps put in.

from the posts I remember reading.. you have to take the intake manifold off and reach down into a small place and to remove being carefull not to break it off

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
mykelsanner

Awards
« Reply #65 on: 09/29/08 01:21 PM »

Wow.... How can I thank you guys enough!!

I originally got the crankshaft position sensor to do it myself, but I wasn't able to get to the damned thing. I took it to the dealer and got it replace.

New Crankshaft Position Sensor - $70.00
Dealer Install - $125

Less than $200, you guys are money and life savers.

The AV works better than it ever has and I haven't had any problems.

Thanks to all of you, very very very helpful, proud to be a part of the site!

Thumbs up!
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 09/29/08 01:31 PM »

It was a known issue, as a matter of fact they recalled the part on the 2001 silverado.

I would call gm up and ask for a refund.

2003 2500
damen_trent

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 09/13/11 09:05 PM »

I have the same stalling and starting problems with my 2005.  Anyone know what it could be? My mechanic can't find anything wrong with it and then I leave and end up stranded again a week later.  Please help.
richardkmoilna2500hd 8.1l

Awards
« Reply #68 on: 04/19/13 10:53 AM »

Hey every one. I have a 02 2500hd chevy truck with the 8.1l  and i keep getting a code for high input on my camshaft Position sensor now i have replaced the sensor and crank shaft sensor along with the map and o2 sensors the wiring going to these sensors . I also have placed the Throttle body tandPedal  .and I still have the code and the hard starting issue and a rough Idol. Can anyone help me please
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: