• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 AV Problems?

jdw174

I've been reading this forum ever since I ordered my '03 AV, naturally concerned about any problems encountered with this vehicle.

It appears that most of the troubles appear to be in the '02 models (although I may have missed some '03 complaints). Question is, how many of you have these same troubles with the '03, or have they been cleared up in the newer model?

I have an '03 and my only problems are the dash is warped (I think a dealer addon caused this) and one of the cargo covers has white spots. Both are being replaced. Other than that, the truck is an engineering marvel. The 03 interior is completely redone from the 02. This forum tends to scare you with the number of people complaining vs the ones that are happy with their truck and say nothing.

I have an 03 AV with approx 2K miles and is perfect. Love the truck
:B:

So far, so good for me with my 2003 model. I
only have 700 miles on it, though.

Things I have noticed which I may have to dig into:
- transmission DOES shift very abruptly sometimes,
and sometimes seems to release from gear then
re engage suddenly.
- Auto 4WD and 4WD does 'whine' or 'moan'
compared to 2WD. I'm not used to this with
other manufacturer's vehicles - Chevy says it
is normal.
- passenger seat heater nonfunctional - need
to get fixed.
- came with a small paint chip - dealer will fix.
- came with a small loose section of headliner - dealer will fix.
minor items, I think. :)

I have no leaks.
rides great, very quiet, lots of power, 64MPG downhill,
like it better than the POS Land Rover I also own.

Ok. Here's mine.

I have an '03 2500. I noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel when the truck isn't moving or is moving very slow (less than 5mph), my power steering system makes a whining noise. Like it is low on power steering fluid. I was told by a dealer that it is working fine and working as designed. Does this sound like a problem or does it just sound this way normally? I think the 1500 AV has a different setup in the power steering system.

'03 With 5700 miles. The damn thing is just SWEET!!! :love:

I had the wiring harness fall onto the parking break mechanism. It caused the horn to go off. Dealer repaired it. ONLY PROBLEM.

The AV has been just great. The only real problem is no other car in the family will ever get driven again by me.

I was on the fence about the AV until the '03s came out. I owe it to GOO! Once he posted new pics of a dark gray metallic AV..... I was a gonna. Thanks GOO!

Cookie Monster Blue said:
Ok. Here's mine.

I have an '03 2500. I noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel when the truck isn't moving or is moving very slow (less than 5mph), my power steering system makes a whining noise. Like it is low on power steering fluid. I was told by a dealer that it is working fine and working as designed. Does this sound like a problem or does it just sound this way normally? I think the 1500 AV has a different setup in the power steering system.

This is normal on any vehicle if you are at full-throw(wheel turned as far as it will turn). Especially cars manufactured by the big three because of a lack of quality standards. Although normal, you should avoid prolonged periods of full throw steering that produce this noise. The noise is normal, but can eventually wear on your pump. It's also a good idea to make sure your wheels aren't turned too much when leaving the vehicle parked because when you start the car the ps pump will be subjected to the same conditions. My understanding is that full-throw steering creates some kind of temporary low fluid situation in the pump. Don't quote me on that. It's just what I have been told. I do know for a fact that it's normal at full throw. If it is happening at low speed regardless of the degree of turn, then It's not normal. I can tell you that I have driven my neighbors 03' 2500 for over 500 miles and have not experienced this myself.

Knock on wood after 1200 miles no problems yet.
Except for the fact that my windsheild gasket does not lay perfectly flat on the top. I will take it in if something else goes wrong.

"I have an '03 2500. I noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel when the truck isn't moving or is moving very slow (less than 5mph), my power steering system makes a whining noise. Like it is low on power steering fluid. I was told by a dealer that it is working fine and working as designed. Does this sound like a problem or does it just sound this way normally? I think the 1500 AV has a different setup in the power steering system. "

My first post here. I just got a new 03 that had the same problem. Mine only did it when turning right. According to the Chevrolet service manual, the 2500 and 1500 use the same steering gear. Dealer replaced the steering gear.

The only other problem on mine was a whine from the rear end between 45 and 55 MPH. Dealer replaced the ring gear and pinion set.

New Z66 03 with 1400 miles.
Only 2 concerns right now.

Mirror / Temp gauge shows 98deg when cold outside.
I also noticed this afternoon that a piece of the foglight mounting bracket is broke.

I'll see the dealer tomorrow.

It really is a fine vehicle. :B:

Good Luck.

Rainman

I had the first Arrival Blue '03 here at the club and it now has 4000 miles on it. NEVER a problem. I'm REAL picky about things... little things. I've looked for something to take it in for... Still haven't found anything.

After I read the Midgate Leak thread here I immediately went to the garage, pulled the cargo covers and pressure washed the midgate, even the corners. NO LEAKS.

This is the first new GM that I've ever owned that has not had at least a minor problem in the first 30 days.

I'm very impressed with it.

SJP

I have just turned 3000 miles on my '03 Z71, and the only issue I've had is the temperature read out like Rainman's. It took 2 trips back to the dealer to resolve the wrong temperature readings, but all is good now.

Good luck with your new AV ?;)

Pluto said:
This is normal on any vehicle if you are at full-throw(wheel turned as far as it will turn). Especially cars manufactured by the big three because of a lack of quality standards. Although normal, you should avoid prolonged periods of full throw steering that produce this noise. The noise is normal, but can eventually wear on your pump. It's also a good idea to make sure your wheels aren't turned too much when leaving the vehicle parked because when you start the car the ps pump will be subjected to the same conditions. My understanding is that full-throw steering creates some kind of temporary low fluid situation in the pump. Don't quote me on that. It's just what I have been told. I do know for a fact that it's normal at full throw. If it is happening at low speed regardless of the degree of turn, then It's not normal. I can tell you that I have driven my neighbors 03' 2500 for over 500 miles and have not experienced this myself. ? ?

The sound I get isn't at full-throw. It's as soon as I start to turn. Normal driving I don't hear anything abnormal. This is the only thing I see as a problem with the truck. It might not be anything. I still have like 35 months and 35,600 miles to go on the warranty. Only 600 miles to go before the 1,000 mile mark. Gonna see what the Cookie Monster can tow behind him.

The problem with the temperature readout made me think of something. Remeber to set the digital compass in your rear view mirror. It gets set according to the zone you live in. They have the map with the zones in the owners manual.

I've got a 2500 with about 700 miles on it. I've started to have some sort of an issue. When mine is cold and I start from a dead stop, a light or something like that, there is a suddle thud towards the back of a vehicle. Alsmost like slack being made up in gears. After that it operates perfectly. I'm still watching my new noise because I know if I take it to the dealer it will never do it. It doesn't seem to be getting worse but it is nerve racking. Otherwise, absolutely no problems! Love the truck.

Got my Z71 the day before thanksgiving. I have 6000 miles on it and the only problem is when I turn to the right while going very slow or at a stand still I get a rubbing in the stearing wheel. And the DRL's and fog lights have moisture.

Formula Continental Racer 13 said:
When mine is cold and I start from a dead stop, a light or something like that, there is a suddle thud towards the back of a vehicle. ?Alsmost like slack being made up in gears. ?After that it operates perfectly.
If it only does it once, shortly after you start it, it may be normal. The ABS system does a calibration of the brake system when you first get started. This can cause a single clunk or thud, especially when it's cold. This should only happen once after starting the truck.

If it happens several times until things warm up, then it's not this that is happening.

In my case, I typically hear it after I back out of the garage, put it in drive, and start moving forward. It's usually within the first 10 feet or so, and is more prominent when cold.

My wife's Lumina sedan does the same thing, although in that car it's more of a series of quick taps rather than a thunk.

Here's what the owner's manual has to say about the ABS system:

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)

Your vehicle has anti-lock brakes. ABS is an advanced electronic braking system that will help prevent a braking skid. When you start your engine and begin to drive away, your anti-lock brake system will check itself. You may hear a momentary motor or clicking noise while this test is going on. This is normal.

Do you think this may be what you are hearing?

-- SS

My 2003 has just over 5k miles now, no problems at all. (y)

It has a build date of 9/10/2003.

hmmmm...I don't think it is brakes but, I'll give it another listen from that perspective. I do think it is drive train related though. Thanks for the additional info.

Cookie Monster Blue said:
Ok. Here's mine.

Check out page 3-59 of the '03 owners manual. ?It is about the Supplemental Brake Assist System. ?
"You may also hear a motor running and feel a
slight vibration in the brake pedal or steering wheel
when you apply or release the brake pedal even if your
foot is not on the brake pedal. This indicates that the
Supplemental Brake Assist system is working to
maintain braking power. If you are braking lightly, you
may not notice any difference in the operation of
your brakes."

My '03's got about 2000 miles on it. Everything is running perfectly. I did have an annoying vibration at about 55 mph and higher but once I had the tires balanced, it was gone.
I haven't ever really been a truck person, and now I can't imagine driving anything else. ;D

Dave

Back