• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4 Hi Causes Brakes To Overheat And Turning Squeek

S

sxtaylorhabel

Please advise,
When I put it in 4 hi every time i turn more than 50%
either way be it from a dead stop or not I leave a skid mark and tires squeal!

Almost like the parkin brake is on. ONLY during the turn straight ahead ok.
Also in 4 hi going 20 mph for 10 min overheats brakes. Any Ideas?
Or is this how it works?

Thanks!!!

I hope you're not using 4-hi on dry pavement. The 4-hi mode should only be usefd on surfaces that are "slippery" or that can give such as snow, mud, or turf. The front differential locks both front hubs togeather so the rotate at the same speed no matter what. Hense one side MUST have a surface that will give. Using 4-hi on dry pavement will only cause the 4wd system to self-destruct and I don't think that is covered under warranty. ( It would be considered abuse.)

In other words, use 4-hi when you are off road or if there is snow or ice on the road.

Over heating brakes? Dunno about that one.

carnut said:
The front differential locks both front hubs togeather so the rotate at the same speed no matter what. Hense one side MUST have a surface that will give.
Actually, as a point of clarification, the front diff does not lock, the two front wheels can always turn at different speeds, no matter what the 2/4 wheel drive setting may be.

What does happen in 4Hi or 4Lo is that the transfer case locks so that the front and rear drive shafts must turn at the same speed. While the mechanism is different, this will still cause the same problems as you described since on a turn the front and rear wheels are turning different speeds, but can't on dry pavement.

Just a minor detail. The rest of the post is dead on target. (y)

-- SS

Here is a great thread that may help answer other questions for you.

You are on the right track. The first thing that popped into my mind was "This is probably on a hard surface".

I have yet to meet a salesperson who fully explained the reason and use for each of the settings. At least more than what it said on the back of the visor. so I can see how going into 4hi or 4lo on a hard surface may make the AV act like something isn't right to those not familar with 4x4s (awd do not count as 4x4s).

How are you determining your brakes are overheating??

I would venture to say you're probably smelling something, which can be translated to your differential fluid ???

BUDMAN said:
How are you determining your brakes are overheating??

I feel that the heating is not the brakes but the front end trying to exactly match the speed on both sides stuggling with the friction of a hard surface.

Back