• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'03 High-beam Indicator TOO Bright

luv2boat

SM 2004
SM 2003
Is this light way too bright or is it just me? Mine is so bright that it is distracting when driving on a dark road. Does anyone else think these are too bright? Are the ones in the '02's overly bright bright?

:8: yeh, ifeel the same way. i covered mine so i could see on dark roads. bad design.

Way too bright and distracting. Gonna try putting a tinted bulb in mine to see if it helps. I'll post the results and what I ended up using in the Mods forum.

SJP

At the same time I'm talking about replacing my high-beam *bulbs* with brigher ones, I've got to complain that the high-beam indicator on the dash is BLINDING me. Has anyone else been bothered by this?

Yes, I have to drive with my hand over the dashboard
to shield my eyes. It is so bright I can barely stand
it. Is there any way to swap out the bulb?

I tried the dash rheostat and it does not adjust
this bulb's brightness...

Mine is also very bright, but since I use it so infrequently, it's not high on my list of things to fix or change. If I need to use the high beams more, I might give it more consideration.

Agree also, I may put some sort of stick on "dot" or something over it, very distracting when driving. Almost better to drive without hi-beams on!

I'm in complete agreement. So much so, that I included that on at least one (GM/J D Powers) surveys I filled out last week. Maybe a small piece of static-cling window tint? Until then :cool:

Yup!!! It's bright. But when I have "All 4 on Hi" with my Silverstars it's kind of like daylight :cool: so it isn't as prevalant.

All kidding aside. It is a little on the excessive side :6:.

Rainman

Not my idea...
MrJim came up with that one.
I assume you can find this stuff at an auto parts store?

I haven't looked locally yet, but J. C. Whitney has 4" x 72" rolls of the static cling window tint film for $5.99. ?With that much film and the right sized hole punch (about 1" dia.), one could "patch" about 200 indicators!

MrJim

MrJim-
I've never seen this stuff before. I assume what is meant by "static cling" is that one would just simply cut out the 1" circle and simply place it on the console cover ... and there it would stay? Seems like a great temporary solution.

Borg,

Right. Now to find some cheap or better yet, free! Wally World only stocks kits that start at $12. I ran across a place on the web that offered free samples in exchange for filling out their survey, but I didn't save the address :p

It's way, way too bright. I think it's not only a nuisance but a potential safety hazard because it's so distracting. Has anyone asked their dealer whether a less bright bulb can be used, or has anyone talked to Chevrolet about the issue? So far, in my three weeks as a new owner, this is my major complaint.

I'd like to return to addressing the cause of the problem, rather than how to mask it. Has anyone had the instrument cluster out and examined it to see if the high beam indicator light is a replaceable bulb? If it is, reducing the brightness will be a simple matter of bulb replacement. On the other hand, if it's an LED on a circuit board, we're probably out of luck on reducing the brightness.

If it is a LED on the board, it is relatively easy to dim it. ?99.9% of the time the current limiting resistor is very close to the LED. ?Just a matter of changing that resistor out (since I do stuff like this for a living, it's easy to me.....other people might ?:D: )

If it is not close, you can lift a leg of the LED and solder one in series.

Trash

Borg,

Thanks, I went to the link and ordered the sample.

BTW, nice choice for color of your Av... ;)

Son

I read this post earlier but had not yet used the high beams,, It is very bright , so bright it illuminates the side of the instrument cluster,, Anybody have news on a bulb/led replacement or some other permanent fix.

Mine doesn't really bother me that much. I don't use high beams much anyway, and when I do, it seems it's usually either behind the steering wheel spoke or blocked by my arm or hand. But it truly is brighter than it needs to be.

Back