• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Any Reason An 02 Might Be Better Than An 03?

steven1955

In all of my research on Avalanches I have been concentrating on the 03 model year. Well, a local dealer has a used sage green 02 with 4700 miles.

I was wondering, as long as it is not a dealer repurchase or a lemon, if it is something to consider.

From what I have read the 03s have better brakes and electrical systems.

What reasons might an 02 be better than an 03?

Well, you're not going to be seeing that color any more as it was discontinued in either Dec or Jan. Plus it's going to be a NorthFace edition with the green seats. If you like the green seats it's fine otherwise there's a more neutral gray seat in the 2003 NF's.
I'd check the build date, chances are the later the build date the better.
There are more fun goodies on the 2003's and a diff't electrical system as well as console and cladding color.
I think that it's really a toss up though on what you like better, I don't think you'd be more likely to get a lemon whether you buy a 2002 or a 2003. Resale may be an issue though. You'd better get a really (REALLY) good deal on the 2002 leftover though.
But that's a pretty nice color though, not many around.

I bought used and don't regret it. That AV should be a lot less expensive than an 03'. If you like it, I'd go with the used one.

I think it's just a personal preference.......kinda like color selection and the leather vs. cloth seating....

If ya like it, and ya want it............get it (and start going to GTGs! ;) )

Kim

Its used, not leftover. That's why I was concerned about it being a buy back or a lemon. It is at a Ford dealer. Of course it could be a repo or a truck owned by someone who really wanted a car.

As an aside, seeing as Earthquake said this 02 sage green Av was a Northface Edition. Porter Chevrolet in Newark DE has a 2002 White Northface Edition leftover.

steven1955 said:
In all of my research on Avalanches I have been concentrating on the 03 model year. ?Well, a local dealer has a used sage green 02 with 4700 miles.

I was wondering, as long as it is not a dealer repurchase or a lemon, if it is something to consider.

It is well known that the 2002 Sage Green Metallic North Face is at the pinnacle of Avalanche styling! ;D

15807363.jpg

What kind of price are they asking for the Av in question.? I have had no real issues with my 2002 NFE. Mine was built 1/02. If I remember correctly the 2002 NFE did not become available until August of 2001. Because of an additional year of depreciation I would hold out for an exceptional price. Also, what will they offer for a warranty? Was this a demo, or has the warranty been ticking away for 4700 miles and x number of months?

Have you asked the dealer for the name of the previous owner? A quick phone call could answer a lot of questions.

steven1955 said:
In all of my research on Avalanches I have been concentrating on the 03 model year. ?Well, a local dealer has a used sage green 02 with 4700 miles.

None that I can see but I may be biased.. ;)

Just kidding. You should be able to get a REALLY good price on the 2002 (leftover or used). If you like it, buy it! The 02's and 03's are similar in appearance and performance. The 03's have some more available options, updated dash and console, and upgraded stereo/electrical system. The one plus I do see with the 2002's is the ability to more easily upgrade the stereo system.

What should a used 2002 North Face edition with 4700 miles sell for?

I looked at it briefly on the way home, but because I was late it was just a look, not a test drive. It had the leather seats with cloth inserts, and a Chevy bowtie on the upholstery. Does this mean a North Face edition?

I think they won't deal. They were asking $30,995, but reduced it to $29,995, then to $28,400. For even a low mileage 2002 that's too high because it was used and the warranty was ticking away. I told them $25k at the most, and walked away after giving them my phone number.

What I did notice, for those of you reading my other recent topic on seat comfort in 2003 cloth bucket, was that the the leather w/ cloth insert buckets were very much better than the early build 2003 cloth bucket fitted one I test drove. I really like the knob for adjusting lumbar, better than the power lumbar in the 2003 leather buckets. Otherwise I like the 2003s better.

A NFE has green leather seats. There are no cloth inserts or gold bow-ties. There is an orangeish-red "swoosh" on the headrests as well as North Face emblems. There should also be "Summit Pod" day-packs that snap onto the front seat-backs via ny-lock fasteners and a pair of "Water Duffalo" bags. NFE's also have white gage faces. Look for North Face badging on the C-posts. NFE's are also 4x4's and although they have everything included in the Z71 package, they do not have the Z71 stickers on the rear quarter panels.

From what you've described it doesn't sound like a NFE. Personally, considering the deals that can be had on a brand new 2003, and how close we are to the 2004 model year, I think your offer was very generous. It's a buyers market out there!

I forgot about the white gauge faces. It wasn't a North face.

Anyway, I did not make an offer of $25k. I was testing the salesman to see if he'd throw me off the lot for insulting them.

Also remember that the 03s have a $4K rebate right now, which helps equalize the cost differential to a used 02. I'd say get a new 03 if you can get the right deal. Or the 02 only if you get a monster discount. Plus have the 02 looked over thoroughly by a mechanic.

FYI...Edmunds $ for a pretty well loaded (but not everything) 2002 2wd with 4700 miles:
Trade-in ?22,494
Private party ?23,881
Dealer Retail ?26,395
BTW, this includes +776 for low miles, and +550 - 650 for "oustanding" condition.

Are the seats ALL cloth (cloth), ALL leather (full leather), or half cloth and half leather (sport leather)? On a 2002 the full leather seats have no "cloth insert", and power lumbar and bolster.

I think the best 'feature' the 03's have over the 02's is the color of the cladding. Especially if you see an 02 & 03 next to each other. My wife would say its the side impact air bags, but thats just nonsense.....

Jodiesel said:
I think the best 'feature' the 03's have over the 02's is the color of the cladding. ?Especially if you see an 02 & 03 next to each other. ?My wife would say its the side impact air bags, but thats just nonsense.....
It sounds like you're saying that the '02 doesn't have side air bags. They are standard on the '02, and I think they are optional on the '03.

There is quite a list of changes on the '03. They added a list of new features like the Driver Info Center, Bose and XM radio, DVD player, power retractable mirrors with turn signals, airbag disable switch, etc. Some are standard, others are optional. They also took away some old features, or changed standard features into options. For example, articulating head rests, glove box light, under hood light, etc. are no longer available. Side impact air bags, trailering package, etc. are now options. Even the new options have had things taken away: it used to be that you got a trailer brake harness with the '02, now it is not even included with the '03, even if you get the trailering package.

So, really, there are plusses and minuses to each model. You need to look at each, see what you like and don't like, and decide which set of features and styling you prefer.

If you browse the Future and Vision forum, you will find a lot of discussion on the differences. Some good threads to check:Good luck!

-- SS

Re: '02 vs. '03 purchase...

I was specifically looking for a used '02 in my area a couple of months ago, and I found several of them. I even found an "new" '02 leftover in the color I wanted. Trouble was, the dealer couldn't sell the leftover '02 (and break even or take a slight loss) at 5.9% (best they could do for used) and beat the deal that I could get for an '03 at invoice and 0% financing. So, I got the '03.

Unless they come down near that 25K that you mention, I'd get an '03 w/ either the 4K rebate or the 0% if it is still available.

As far as which is "better"? I prefer the '03, but I'm biased ;)

Hay Steven1995 if it's a buy back or a LEMON IT CAN'T BE SOLD if it is the Dealer is in a whole lot of trouble for selling a lemon, If you live in the PHILY Pa area Sloane Chevy on Cottom Ave has an 02 Blue Avalanche with cloth seats for sale 6458 miles give them a call or look up on the internet for more info.
Saw it today when i was at the parts dept. looking for a Chevy Power Book.

I had an 02 1500. The only reason I now have an 03 2500 is the little 5.3 didn't seem to have enough power for pulling my trailers.

Big blocks rule! >:D

TLB, here's the info off Sloane Chevrolet's web site. Sounds like they are starting high.

MAKE: CHEVROLET
MODEL: AVALANCHE
DEALERSHIP: SLOANE CHEVROLET
MILEAGE: 6,458
VIN: 3GNEK13TX2G235460
STOCK #: 3306021
Selling Price: $28,995
Used Vehicle Options
DUAL AIR BAGS 4 DOOR
4 WHEEL DRIVE 8 CYLINDER ENGINE
AIR CONDITIONER ALUMINUM WHEELS
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CRUISE CONTROL
CD PLAYER CUSTOM CLOTH SEATING
CERTIFIED RECONDITIONING AM/FM RADIO
GM CERTIFIED IN WARRANTY POWER DOOR LOCKS
PICKUP POWER WINDOWS
CERTIFIED SERVICE TACHOMETER
TILT WHEEL TINTED WINDOWS

FWIW, I just bought an '02 w/18k miles, Z66 full leather in perfect condition for $22k. The dealer had a Z71 w/25k miles and they were asking $25k. The Z71 was fully loaded.

an 03 or better yet an 04 if you just prefer new with the latest and greatest add-ons but remember the very first year the vehicle was available always ends up the most unique and if kept well most valuable too just think about automotives history

I would insist on seeing a CarFax report AND want to see the history of ALL service! The dealer can get this for you. Makes you wonder why someone would trade after only 4K or so......

Butch

Back