• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Watertight?

jtrhone

Just picked up an '03 z71 AV over the weekend... found water in the bed. Dealer says the bed will never be completely watertight (the cab should be because of the channeling system).

However, chevy literature ... and even the comparisons elsewhere on this site insinuate that the hard cover keeps water out of the bed. From the versus section:

"Removable hard cover water tight cargo lid ..."

So... is the hard cover supposed to be water tight or not?

-jtrhone

jtrhone ,

Welcome to the club.

The first thing that I have noticed is that it matters how you put your panels on. When I first got my Av I didn't pay special attention to it, I figured as long as they are latched then they are fine. I used to have water in there all the time, not alot but enough that I wouldn't put anything in there that had to stay dry.

One day I decided to start paying attention to how I put the panels on. I now put them on at a 45 degree angle pressing it into the next panel in front, not too hard but make sure there is good contact, then lower the panel and latch it. Since I started doing that, about 2 months ago, mine have been water tight. I check it after every hard rain and after washing and I have not seen any water in there.

Personally I would still not put anything in there that would be ruined if it got wet. I'm just not 100% sure that it will never get wet but it seems to be ok now.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you try that and it makes a difference.

-Mark

Thanks for the quick reply! :D I will definitely try that... the few times I have had them off I have probably only stuffed them together at 10-20 degree angles.

I will try it, test it, and post results tonight.

-jtrhone

Bed does not seem water tight in all areas, just to many joints. I did find at the dealers, a notation on how the body shop was suposed to smooth down the tail gate to make that area water tight. It seems like a lot of work to sand it and seal it and then not be sure that it would keep out water completely. Also latch bed covers left to right when re-installing them.

... and similarly, make sure the midgate is fully-closed as well. Make sure you open and firmly close the midgate, making sure that each side is latched securely. If not, you will likely get water on the carpet near the rear seat rear floor mounts.

Jamie

I have a little water at the tailgate joint after running it thru a high pressure wash.
Never seems to get in the bed proper. So I don't worry about it.
I willl try the angled replacement routine, maybe it will take care of my problem.
I still get condensation under the mat. Which is the nature of the beast. Took care of that by having the metal portion of the bed sprayed with Line-X. Condensation is still there but it doesn't touch metal/paint.

The bed is water resistant >:D

water may be present under mat, around mat on edges and in or near drains.....

Water should not be present on the center of the mat under the covers.....

Check the manual and the little thingy they give to you when you bought it that explains the midgate and panel operation.....

Another idea would be to adjust the metal pieces the the covers lock into. BUT, I would be carefull how much you adjusted them.

I have a '02 Av. The only time we have experienced water in the bed is when we picked it up from the dealer the day we bought and right after they detailed it for delivery. The saleman told us not to use a high pressure washer toward the rear window as they have found it to leak there. But not during a heavy rain storm or light shower. The family and I made a trip to South Padre during a violent rain storm with 30 plus mph winds. The bed was loaded full of luggage. When we got there. It was bone dry. The only panels I have ever removed is #2 and #3. I did pay close attention as to how I removed them and put them back on. Be sure you slide them nug agaisnt the other panel and be sure you have the aligned right.

I hand wash my Avalanche and have given my wife the warning not to take it to the automatic car washes. For two reasons: possible leakage and harsh deterrents drying out the lower body cladding.

Good luck,
dbond911

olsontru said:
I have a little water at the tailgate joint after running it thru a high pressure wash.
Never seems to get in the bed proper. ?So I don't worry about it.
I willl try the angled replacement routine, maybe it will take care of my problem.
I still get condensation under the mat. ?Which is the nature of the beast. ?Took care of that by having the metal portion of the bed sprayed with Line-X. ?Condensation is still there but it doesn't touch metal/paint.

Actually that water may not have come through in the high pressure wash. When you open the tailgate any water along the seal will spill down the tailgate giving it the appearance that water has leaked through.

jtrhone said:
Just picked up an '03 z71 AV over the weekend... found water in the bed. ?Dealer says the bed will never be completely watertight (the cab should be because of the channeling system). ?

However, chevy literature ... and even the comparisons elsewhere on this site insinuate that the hard cover keeps water out of the bed. ?From the versus section:

"Removable hard cover water tight cargo lid ..."

So... is the hard cover supposed to be water tight or not?

-jtrhone

The question is - WHERE are you seeing the water. This will help me better answer your concern/question...

Also latch bed covers left to right when re-installing them.

I was recently instructed by my service department to latch the bed covers as described. Does anyone know why this would work better than latching from "right to left"?
Thanks
kroache

I'm going to revive this thread....

Were there any changes to the covers/weather-stripping for the 03 model?

Our Av is my wife's. We keep a $300 Peg Perego stroller in the back, and after 2 weeks, no water. My wife is a little worried about it, fearing water will drench the stroller upolstery and ruin it.

When it warms up a little, I'm going to take all 3 panels off and reinstall them with the 45 degree method, latching left to right.....

Craig

What is this Left To Right thing? Do you mean latch the left side first? I have had my panals off two or three times in the year I have owned my AV and take it through high pressure washes in the winter when it is to cold to wash it myself. I have noticed no more than a drop or three of water in the bed.

I've had my '03 for about 4 months now and never a drop of water. I've had the covers off about a dozen times....

Z66 BUTCH said:
What is this Left To Right thing? Do you mean latch the left side first?
Apparently, that is the idea. I heard about this for the first time last week, when someone made a reference to the post earlier in this thread:

LoopySilverado said:
Bed does not seem water tight in all areas, just to many joints. I did find at the dealers, a notation on how the body shop was suposed to smooth down the tail gate to make that area water tight. It seems like a lot of work to sand it and seal it and then not be sure that it would keep out water completely. Also latch bed covers left to right when re-installing them.
Apparently this can make a difference. I wonder why? Anybody know for sure?

-- SS

Only time I found water on the bed liner of my 02 was after driving though really deep water at really high speeds...it probably came up the drains...

Having done that once and lost the plate off the front doing it...I'll bet it'll stay dry hereafter.

I just slam the panels on there; I don't fuss angles or any vodoo ninja moves; I just snap them together by sliding them along the sliders...just a tight push and clip clip.

Of couse this was before its first winter... hopefull the -28 C climate up here isn't going to shrink anything...

I've had it freeze shut a few times when the temp drops fast on a wet day... When this happens - if you yank a few times and it doesn't open you might want to wait for the thaw or park inside for a while - I've been unable to lock it back up after prying it open from time to time - and you know about the reports of it coming open all by itself when its not locked right...

Z66 BUTCH said:
What is this Left To Right thing? Do you mean latch the left side first? I have had my panals off two or three times in the year I have owned my AV and take it through high pressure washes in the winter when it is to cold to wash it myself. I have noticed no more than a drop or three of water in the bed.

From the 2003 Online Owners Manual Page 2-69

For any cargo cover panel you must lock the left
latch in place before you can lock the right latch. If
you do not follow this exactly, the cargo cover
panels may not lock in place correctly.

My Salesman also covered this with me when he demonstrated all the Av's features.

SJP

SJProwler said:
From the 2003 Online Owners Manual Page 2-69

For any cargo cover panel you must lock the left
latch in place before you can lock the right latch. If
you do not follow this exactly, the cargo cover
panels may not lock in place correctly.

My Salesman also covered this with me when he demonstrated all the Av's features.

SJP

The '02 manual states the same info. I can't say that I understand why though, I've looked at it while latching it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference to me either way.

BTW, I have only had water in there once prior to putting the panels on at a 45 degree angle and even then it wasn't alot.

-Mark

Just Picked up My 03 AV today - Insisted before i signed the papers they put the hose on it - they were reluctant but ,,,,,we took the AV to the wash bay and they handed me the hose ans said go to town - No leaks. I even opened the midgate and filled the "water channel" with water and watched it drain, checked the carpet. So we shall see how it holds up over time.
DJ

Keep the seals clean and keep them lubricated with silicone and you should be fine for a long time.

also have not found the bed to be water tight....any other suggestions?

Yellow_Jacket said:
also have not found the bed to be water tight....any other suggestions?

The bed is not water tight

It is supposed to drain water to the sides as in the little brochure they have on water managenment.....the top center of the rubber mat will remain dry.......all else in the bed may and can get wet from rain and or driving in rainy roads......

water resistant is the word....

Living in Oregon proves this for me.

I use mine for work... storing tools and my tailgate is my workbench.

I have a few drips, but very few and I think the system works awesome for all intents and purposes....

anyway that's my $.02.

I am new at this game. its only rained hard once,(last night) my bed was wet. I am going to try a lube/sealant/moisturizer call 111. I remove my covers all the time for one reason or another

Back