Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/31/14 12:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Speed Thumping Noise Front Suspension  (Read 18676 times)
asinger75
Charter Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 03/20/03 01:17 PM »

Well I too will join the clunking in the front end problem at slow speeds with no feedback in the steering wheel. They have ruled out the steering problem a lot of people have here. Last time I talked to them the technician believes he has isolated the problem to the front differential and is in the process of cracking it open. Haven't talked to them since then so should hear more tommorrow. Sure seams to be a trend here!

Black Z71 all the goodies except sunroof, BOD 10/01
Pewter02AV2WD
« Reply #101 on: 03/24/03 01:20 AM »

Has anyone noticed the fixing of the problem with this solution?
asinger75
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #102 on: 03/24/03 07:54 AM »

Got my truck back the next day, kudo's to Curt Warner Chevy in Vancouver, WA. The technician changed all bearings in the front differential as well as some other parts, basically have a fully rebuilt front differential. Drove it all weekend and noise/feel is completely gone.

Black Z71 all the goodies except sunroof, BOD 10/01
marc_w

Torque manage THIS!

Awards
« Reply #103 on: 03/25/03 06:00 AM »

Is there a zerk fitting on it??

I don't have a LOW speed noise, but I DO have a bit of a 'tick' when I have the wheel cranked over to take the large sweeping 180-degree turns to come up the hill here to work...

I hit a bump from a crack or manhole, and I get a little loose feeling up front, along with the faintest little 'tick' noise.

Huh

'02 Z71 TRADED IN, for a Black '04 Silverado SS.  Mods: TR55's, MSD8.5's, B&B cat-back (duals), drop-in filter, HP Tuners, E-fans w/DC controller, stainless brake lines, custom spec'd alignment, VHP 047 (210/218 .531/.531 112), 918's. To be installed this decade: Yank 2600.
nh_mark
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #104 on: 03/25/03 07:27 AM »

This is intersting to see this post.  I had this problem in my '00 Silverado and it was fixed with the grease.  There was a TSB on it at the time.  I have not noticed the same problem in my Av... of course now I probably will  Roll Eyes

-Mark
« Last Edit: 03/25/03 07:28 AM by nh_mark » Logged

Member No. 1434
Current - 2008 Cadillac CTS4 - Black Cherry, Lux Pkg, Sport Pkg, 3.6 DI

Used to have - 2002 Indigo Blue Z71, Assist steps, Sunroof, Av windshield graphic, Av bug deflector, Av mudflaps, Magnaflow muffler, LOF, Full time Amber DRLs, Av mountain logo on 'C' pillar and on sun visors, AMP fuel door. Painted "Avalanche" on cladding with Testors chrome silver paint. BFG 285's, Painted bowties on hubcaps.
ShapeShifter
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

What a great trip it's been...

WWW Awards
« Reply #105 on: 03/25/03 07:39 AM »

Is there a zerk fitting on it??

Unfortunately, no. It's a bit more complicated than that. mrosenfield posted the complete details as an attachment to this post earlier in this thread.

I don't have a LOW speed noise, but I DO have a bit of a 'tick' when I have the wheel cranked over to take the large sweeping 180-degree turns to come up the hill here to work...

I hit a bump from a crack or manhole, and I get a little loose feeling up front, along with the faintest little 'tick' noise.

Let's discuss this in this topic: Looseness or tick in steering

-- SS
« Last Edit: 03/25/03 07:40 AM by ShapeShifter » Logged

chaosbuster
« Reply #106 on: 06/09/03 10:01 AM »

Just heard back from our dealer at 15,000 miles service....we were hearing wheel/axle noise when driving straight, turning and slowing down.  They are gonna have to REBUILD THE WHOLE REAR END of our Avalanche (replace gears, etc)    They say they saw metal shavings.  Argh....I hope this fixes it.  It is covered under warranty, but I'm worried that we'll see other problems now.
KTH_AZAV

Bakin in the Arizona Sun with my AV

Awards
« Reply #107 on: 06/10/03 05:16 PM »

What a great site this is.  Where else could we find this kind of assistance without dealing with crooked auto shops and mechanics that may or may not know what is going on with our expensive equipment.

Just this past week I started hearing a klunk, kinda like cracking your knuckles, when I am turning left or right and my tire enters the water run offs between side walks.  I will be traveling about 5 to 20 miles an hour while turning and drive over these small depressions in the concrete and hear my front end go pop.

After reading through all of these postings I will be talking to the dealership tomorrow.  My AV is five months old with 12k miles (trip to Michigan racked up the miles).

Thanks All.
Tiger

Avalanche...the best Suburban ever!

Awards
« Reply #108 on: 08/01/03 03:05 PM »

I'm happy to report a happy ending with my frustration.  It seems that I got a defective Eaton G80 LRD Unit!!!   banghead   I went to the website (after they serviced it again) and printed the "maintenance free" description given...this set the wheels in motion.

The Rear LRD was completely replaced after some further interactions with my dealer and a regional rep from GM.  I have driven 10k+ miles since the swap ($1,000 bill the warranty paid for) and the noise has not returned!   Grin  

Thanks to all on this board who helped by sharing information!!!

Huh 2007 Huh Crew, gear, and motorcycle hauler.  Cheesy
2004 1500 5.3L Z71 DGM cladded
2002 2500 8.1L Onyx Black/Tan cladded 4x4
TX_Ghostwheel
« Reply #109 on: 09/23/03 01:40 PM »

I have had my 03 Z66 1500 in the shop 6 times for this noise.  At 2 different dealers.  One time they replaced the Wheel joint or something like that.  The noise came back.  The next time they lubed the wheel stoppers??  Then they replaced the steering box.  Each time they try something different and the noise keeps coming back.  My concern is what happens when  my warrenty runs out and I have to pay for all of these failed attempts?  Has anyone contacted GM?  What's their offical stance on this?

Thanks

GW
rbassett

2003 Yellow Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #110 on: 09/23/03 05:19 PM »

My AV has just over 3K miles it and I just noticed a clunking noise (driver side front) when I take off from a stop.  The noise doesn't happen all of time as it probably happended 3 times today out of 20+ starts. Being an intermittent noise doesn't give me great confidence that my local dealer will find the problem.

I am wondering having the tires inflated to 40psi might cause this. I moved the pressure up to 40psi for a weekend trip with the travel trailer and haven't dropped the pressure down yet.

Any suggestions?
Wvusquatch

Awards
« Reply #111 on: 09/23/03 05:35 PM »

You should do a search for this, as it has been discussed many many times!!

Please do not send me a PM, as I can not reply to you.
rbassett

2003 Yellow Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #112 on: 09/23/03 05:58 PM »

You should do a search for this, as it has been discussed many many times!!

That is not encouraging
7of7

The GateCam

Awards
« Reply #113 on: 09/23/03 06:28 PM »

I have the same type of noise, the dealer has a front shock on order to replace the one that is messed up.  I notice noise when I go over speed bumps, start off from stops, etc.  I don't know if it will fix it, but just take it in and let them find it.

2003 Arrival Blue 1500 Z71, Every Option Except Engine Block Heater and XM Radio.  Snakeeyes Rear View Camera System, Stainless Assist Steps, Protection Package,  DRL Mod,  Headrest Mod, 2500 Front Wheel Well Moldings,Full-Time DRL's,
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #114 on: 11/25/03 08:30 PM »

one common noise, but so many different causes. Huh

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
thenowes

Awards
« Reply #115 on: 12/27/03 09:29 AM »

New member here: 2002 AV - Z66

I had a problem and the dealership kept telling me it was a "truck" thing.  After being a persistant pest they admitted there was a problem and begun investigating.  It turns out that when my front wheel turned sharply the torsion bar was knocking into the oil pan.  They said that the factory has not been torking the bolts to proper spec and after the vehicle has been on the road for a while this can happen.  They tightened it up and the problem was solved.  

Now I have a new knock noise when I go up my driveway or back down from it.  It keeps pace with tire revolutions. Driveway is a slight incline which could be from the original problem in early stages, but I have my doubts.  I am getting frustrated with all the nit-picky GM flaws in this vehicle.  It seems most problems are truly assembly flaws and not design errors.
thenowes

Awards
« Reply #116 on: 12/27/03 09:33 AM »

Also,

had a tire revolution noise that turned out to be defgective axle bearings.  the entire end had to come off and new bearings were packed.

I only have 2500 miles of warranty left and intend to make every effort to gets the bugs worked out of it.
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #117 on: 06/22/04 05:39 PM »

I have the thumping on turns. Its most noticable on long winding off ramps where you keep the wheel turned slightly. You can feel it in the steering wheel through the entire turn. I ordered the lube kit and will do the TSB and see if it helps.

Mike

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
thenowes

Awards
« Reply #118 on: 06/22/04 06:34 PM »

I had the same problem...It was actually the oil pan thumping into something.  Chevy said it was common in the suburbans too and if you drive one long enough, you will have to deal with it.  Basically it gets worse based on driving habits.  I always heard it when I turned sharply, particularly in reverse going down my driveway. It is fixed with a simple tightening from underneath. Mine was warranty work at 29,000 miles.

Good luck!
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #119 on: 06/30/04 09:51 AM »

I did the TSB myself on the steering shaft. It did solve the problem as no more noise or feeling in the steering wheel. It was a little harderer than explained in the TSB as the shaft is not easily removed. I finally removed the throttle assembly and that made it easy. Wink

Mike

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
Black03Avalanche

The Avalanche rocks!!

Awards
« Reply #120 on: 07/12/04 10:15 AM »

I have a similiar knuckle poping thunk noise at slow speeds also.  However, mine is only while turning.  Mine is a z66. I'll also be going to the dealer soon.
Thanks,
Damon

Damon-i think what I hear with mine is similar to yours.  I wouldn't say mine what a thunk but almost kind of a whooshing sound.  But its at low speeds and mainly only when I'm turning.

2003 Black Chevy Avalanche Z71 - once I get some good pics animated sig to come!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: