• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Has Anyone Ever Had Any Tranny Problems W/ The Av?

manny

Charter Member
I did! Thursday afternoon I was driving normal and then the RPM's shot up to 6000 and the truck started to buck like a bronco. It wouldn't get out of 1st gear.

I took it in for service and they said that I would have it back by Monday night. They gave me a loaner blazer with 110000 miles on it. what a piece of S#!t!

Manny

Manny,
You might want to do a search on the problems sections and you will find out a whole lot of info. You are not alone. There are others with the same problem

Good luck

Manny,

I had the same problem, would not shift into second. This must be a defect from the factory. Basically the defect is the fact that the Av weighs so much and the tranny is not HD. You had mentioned on AOL IM that they rebuilt it, they replaced mine. Hmmm.

I hope the dealer is overly nice,

Rob

Every time I see a post like this I fly through the roof thinking of the headaches my S10 put me through. ?

It had the same 4L60E tranny as the 1500's. ?Same issue with upshifts. ?Mine happened to be the upshift from 2-3. ?I had the truck in a shop for a week. ?The shift solenoid ended up getting replaced after a ton of diagnostics, which had the truck shifting better than it ever has....

For a week.

Then it crapped out again. :8:

Unfortunately I really don't have any info to tell you. ?I go so frustrated with mine I limped it over to a dealer and traded it in.

The second I sense ANYTHING funny with my tranny... I don't care where I am or who's with me... we're going to the dealer and ditching the truck. ?:p

SicilianosAvy,,,

The bucking "like a bronco" was probably the rev limiter you hit when truck held 1st gear, and didn't shift... The rev limiter is there to protect the motor from over-revving... I had this happen in my '99 Silverado 5.3 one time... It could be 100 things... If it only did it once, I wouldn't worry a bunch... These trannys are to the greatest extent so electronically controlled, that anything can happen if the conditions are right... Like I said, if it does it twice, I would bring it in... Otherwise, you might be opening another can-o-worms having the dealer "troubleshoot" it...

I was wondering though, why didn't you get off the gas when you noticed it wasn't shifting? Seems to me 6,000 RPM's would be pretty out of the ordinary, unless you were accelerating at full throttle on purpose and didn't have time to get off it... Not poking, just wondering... :)

I want to state also, something about the 4L60 tranny... The 4L60 has been around for some years now... I think the first rendition was around 1978 or so... The version offered today is probably the best light duty truck tranny out there right now... I will admit GM has had it's issues with the 4L60E/700R4 design, but they have kept it for a reason... Because it's a good tranny... I have had the 96 version, and the 94 version in 320HP Camaros, and all were abused daily... They held up well... Now there is one enemy of the 4L60 tranny ... That's heat mainly ... This design has always had issues with not enough fluid pressure at low RPM operation, and heat generation because of it... The new designs are pretty rugged, but then again, probably at their threshold of application in the 5.3 Avalanche...

Keep the fluid clean, don't lug the truck in overdrive, and drive around town in Tow/haul mode to keep good fluid pressure/flow to carry heat away ... This alone will help it's lifespan ... Now, stomping on the gas around corners, and flooring it in 4 LO is abuse, and you deserve to have your 4L60E dump on you... Just be aware, the commercials you see, are almost always an example of what not to do with your transmission... The tranny is not like a rock... Even though the Avalanche is Chevy, and a great durable truck, it has it's soft spots... Know it's limitations... (now this of course does not apply to the 2500 4L85E... Those of you graced with this unit,,, GET DOWN ON IT BABY !!! )

11H

Good tips, 11H.

Without fail,, my old tranny used to flip it's wig when it was hot out... :7:

I like the OD comment. I HATE how early the tranny hits OD / lockup. I can literally do 42mph with 1200 on the tach and go 'glug-glug-glug-glug' up hills. :D:

I typically just cruise around in 3rd, when I know i'm staying under 40mph or so. My g/f accuses me of breaking the old tranny because I did this... :p

11H said:
SicilianosAvy,,,

The bucking "like a bronco" was probably the rev limiter you hit when truck held 1st gear, and didn't shift... The rev limiter is there to protect the motor from over-revving... I had this happen in my '99 Silverado 5.3 one time... It could be 100 things... If it only did it once, I wouldn't worry a bunch... These trannys are to the greatest extent so electronically controlled, that anything can happen if the conditions are right... Like I said, if it does it twice, I would bring it in... Otherwise, you might be opening another can-o-worms having the dealer "troubleshoot" it...

I was wondering though, why didn't you get off the gas when you noticed it wasn't shifting? Seems to me 6,000 RPM's would be pretty out of the ordinary, unless you were accelerating at full throttle on purpose and didn't have time to get off it... Not poking, just wondering... :)

I want to state also, something about the 4L60 tranny... The 4L60 has been around for some years now... I think the first rendition was around 1978 or so... The version offered today is probably the best light duty truck tranny out there right now... I will admit GM has had it's issues with the 4L60E/700R4 design, but they have kept it for a reason... Because it's a good tranny... I have had the 96 version, and the 94 version in 320HP Camaros, and all were abused daily... They held up well... Now there is one enemy of the 4L60 tranny ... That's heat mainly ... This design has always had issues with not enough fluid pressure at low RPM operation, and heat generation because of it... The new designs are pretty rugged, but then again, probably at their threshold of application in the 5.3 Avalanche...

Keep the fluid clean, don't lug the truck in overdrive, and drive around town in Tow/haul mode to keep good fluid pressure/flow to carry heat away ... This alone will help it's lifespan ... Now, stomping on the gas around corners, and flooring it in 4 LO is abuse, and you deserve to have your 4L60E dump on you... Just be aware, the commercials you see, are almost always an example of what not to do with your transmission... The tranny is not like a rock... Even though the Avalanche is Chevy, and a great durable truck, it has it's soft spots... Know it's limitations... (now this of course does not apply to the 2500 4L85E... Those of you graced with this unit,,, GET DOWN ON IT BABY !!! )

11H

Well it died on me and they had to rebuild the tranny. At the point in time I was driving as normal as possible. Although I will admit to "stompping on the gas around corners" occassionally.

Manny

While I have never experienced anything like Manny did with his Av...I do notice that every so ofter when I step on the gas..the shift form 1st to 2nc....it seems as though it waits a second or so upon acceleration then kicks in...you can physically feel it catch and push off....is this an example of "tranny slippage?".... ??? :B:

Word of consolation here gang,

We might have a few trannies that need to be rebuilt or need adjustment. That's just normal.

Be glad we aren't driving a Dodge Truck, all their trannies are bad. So bad in fact that the new Ram is supposed to have a transmission designed by Daimler Benz.

My Dad's 97 Dodge Ram started to not upshift, you'd have to get fully off the throttle to force it in to 2nd, 3rd, and O/D. When it did shift it was nice and solid. Seemed to me like a valve body or computer problem. 3 different dealers, 2 independent trans shops, lowest quote to repair it was $2,700. Chrysler even admitted they had transmission problems with the Ram but would not cover it because he had 38,000 miles on it at the time.

He is now driving a 2001 F-250 SuperDuty with a Pwr Stroke.

SJP

At about 2000 miles my trans started to shift very hard going from 1st to 2nd, then 3rd to 4th. SHortly there after it started shifting hard in all gears where you would almost get whip-lash no matter how easy or hard you mashed the gas. The dealer had to replace a few cervoes or something like that and now it is fine. Truck is a 2500 Auto Trans 4X4 with an 8.1.

KillerMWD

NJAV said:
While I have never experienced anything like Manny did with his Av...I do notice that every so ofter when I step on the gas..the shift form 1st to 2nc....it seems as though it waits a second or so upon acceleration then kicks in...you can physically feel it catch and push off....is this an example of "tranny slippage?".... ??? :B:

That exactly how mine started out. You might want to have that checked out.

Manny

Sicilianos Avy said:
That exactly how mine started out. You might want to have that checked out.

Manny
damn....I hope this isn't going to be a shot tranny...if it goes it better go under warranty.... :7:

NJAV said:
damn....I hope this isn't going to be a shot tranny...if it goes it better go under warranty.... :7:

Yeah I would have that checked right away. You don't want to get stuck footing the bill.

Manny

I had to have my tranny replaced after 150 miles :8: Since then, no problems. But what a time I had with Chevy. Boy does their customer service suck :mad:

Ok, so the question I have is....How hard is it to put a tranny cooler on the AV? Have any one of you guys done this?. They really do their job. My father has a truck (1968 Chevy, turbo 350 trans) that has NEVER been overhauled. It has 168,000 miles on it and was our camping truck in the '60's and '70's and our delivery truck in the '80's.

The truck took a lot of abuse and still runs good as of today. Both engine and trans have never been overhauled as a matter of fact.

There are a number of kits that will work, you will need to feed the plumbing and fit the interchanger in the front grill. You may want to let a shop do it and have the tranny flushed at the same time.

djfcars,,,

I hate to say it, but the TH350 was a much stronger transmission in general... It being a 3 speed, and always revving well, had no low fluid pressure problems that plagued it... It was a pretty strong transmission overall... If you kept it clean, and didn't overheat it, it lasted a good while... I had one in a 1978 Monte with a 305 that I ran hard (2nd car in my life) ... That tranny out lived the 305 that went 187,000 miles!

Ever since the advent of the Overdrive transmission, oem's have had fits with adequate fluid pressure in OD to keep critical parts cool ... The best thing I can tell all of you, regardless of what your manual says, follow the following guidelines:

- Don't run in Overdrive until you are over 50 MPH, or better yet, run in Tow/Haul in stop and go driving ...

-Don't pull ANYTHING or haul people around unless you are in Tow/Haul period...

- Tow/Haul always will be better for the transmission's longevity...

I feel I need to explain ... Shifting quick reduces clutch pack abrasion which reduces clutch material getting in the fluid, and reduced abrasion or slippage reduces overall heat production... Running the engine at higher RPM's also runs the transmission's overall fluid pressure higher, and flows it faster, meaning better heat dispersion, and cooling capacity...

*** If you are regularly allowing your transmission to run lower than 1500-1600 RPM in Overdrive, you are causing above normal wear... Sorry... :(

In a 3500# Camaro this is not as bad, but in a 6,000 # truck that can pull 8,000#'s ??? It's abuse folks... Get that tach up there, and let that tranny run cooler...

Those of us with the weak kneed 4L60E need to pay particular attention to this ... It makes no sense why GM offers a strengthened version of the 4L60E called the 4L65E (to add) ... Maybe the fact that the 4L60E is rated at a max RPM of 6100, and the 4L65E is only 5600 RPM ... Maybe they figure the 5.3 is going to spool a little faster than the 6.0 ... Who knows ... I really shouldn't say weak kneed, as the 4L60E isn't a bad tranny... Especially since 1998... The only real problem I think GM hasn't addressed fully is the pressure regulator boost valve/sleeve assembly... Now, we could compare the 4L60E to the Ford 4R70W or E40D which is a little better than the 4R70W... Or the even worse the Dodge 518 and 618's ... These trucks are highly "overrated" ... I wouldn't own an automatic Dodge period ...

As far as the other inherent "weaknesses" of the 4L60E (or electronic 700R4) the only thing we can do as owners, is keep the fluid / filter cleaned... MAX 30,000 miles on a pan/filter dump, and 50,000 on a full flush ... Make sure you get the proper filter also, the 4L60E has two pans... A deep sump, and a standard sump... I'm pretty sure all 1500 av's have the deep sump... Just reference your owner's manual before picking one up... I know from about '99 to '01, filter kits were dealer only... This has changed, just be aware, some parts house computers may not be up to date... Best thing is to match your new filter up to the oem version just to make sure...

GM has made a few design changes to keep the fluid flowing and cooling better... A MUCH bigger 300mm torque converter that holds lots-o-fluid, a deeper sump pan, and an indestructable torque converter clutch that allows slippage under throttle, and before full lock-up, again to try and maintain adequate fluid flow...

Finally,,,

The trucks of today must meet CAFE fuel mileage averages... The shift patterns in regular DRIVE or the OVERDRIVE setting are set to acheive maximum fuel mileage results... NOT transmission longevity... Loafing around at 1300 RPM in overdrive in a 6,000 # truck is foolish, and don't let me catch you on a meet ... LOL

11H

Thanks 11H for the info.

I used to tell everbody NOT to put their transmissions in OD in the city. I tell them to keep it in 3rd because it is not good to have the overdrive kicking in and out as what happens in city driving.

Just to give you yet another example of how the old turbo 350's were REALLY indestructable listen to this true story.

In 1977, I borrowed my fathers 1968 Chevy pickup to go to school one day. At this time the truck had about 90,000 miles on it. He had a 1975 4X4 Chevy so he said to use it all I wanted to.

Well, being 17 I was horsing around with the column shift as I shifted it from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Now, listen carefully: When I was shifting it once again, it WAS already in 3rd, BUT I thought it was in 2nd!!!

I actually shifted the truck into reverse going 30 miles an hour!!!! The truck kicked back and forth as it was in reverse. dragging itself down the street, it stalled after about 50 feet. I coasted to the side of the road, put it in park and started it up. It ran fine and then I put her in drive and she still ran!!!

To this day, the transmission is still in that truck and it has never given us a problem. Now thats a transmission!!!

Could you imagine if I did this to an AV?

pedr0,,,

The only real difference between running in 3rd, and tow/haul, is that tow/haul will turn the fluid over in the transmission more often due to running more rpm's between gears as tow/haul holds the shifts longer; this should increase heat dispersion again ... Also, the torque converter clutch allows more slippage, and delays full lock for a longer period of time vs. 3rd and no tow/haul... The key is to keep rpms up, and not lug the motor AND once the torque converter locks in, keep it locked in... If you run in OD, and the tranny is back and forth, the clutch packs never have a chance to cool ... I think it would be personal preference, but again, if I had to choose, tow/haul might be a tad better... I have noticed under partial throttle the AV will ease into the next gear a little too early... Not running in OD will keep you from loafing in OD, but running third doesn't change the shift pattern at all...

I can't imagine that everyone wants to run around in tow/haul, due to the abrupt shifting can be annoying... If you can't tolerate tow/haul, then at least accelerate briskly to keep the transmission from straining at low rpm's ... I usually say in a truck like ours, to run OD when you are going to maintain speeds over 50 MPH for some length... Now, if you are going from light to light and hitting 50 MPH, and then slowing down soon, I don't know if I would be "busy beaver" going back and forth with the shifting column...

I guess that's why I like tow/haul so much... It's like a built in shift kit that takes out the guess work on when to or not to go into overdrive... It also allows a little more torque converter clutch slippage along with holding the shifts longer, and quicker... This helps the around town performance too... Kinda keeps the heavy rig in the power band better... I think running a higher loaded rpm is easier on the motor and driveline altogether than running a lower rpm loaded...

Here's a good analogy... ?When you ride a 10 speed uphill, what will wear you out faster:

A. Running your legs like hell in first gear?

OR

B. Running your legs hard and slow in 10th gear?

I pick A. ... Even though your legs are pedalling very fast, you are exerting less force on the pedals, hence expending less energy...

*** I would like to add that I have had nine (that I can recall) 4L60E/700R4 transmissions in my time, and have never had ANY transmission failures or malfunctions of any kind... Some exceptional examples have been a 1996 Z-28 that made over 310 Lb/Ft of torque at the wheels, and had 54,000 extremely hard miles in AZ (this car still kicked a foot sideways from first to second when I traded it in) , a '94 Z-28 with 48,000 HARD miles, and 2 Silverados; one a new 1999, and a 2000 ... Both were 5,000# trucks unloaded, and driven VERY hard ... I had a 1990 Crown Vic with the AOD4 that had 130,000 miles, that I sold with a sound shifting transmission ... I have followed the guidelines above for the most part... I have had a total of 14 or 15 automatic transmissions in various cars, and the ONLY failure was in a 1975 Mustang 5.0 that had 112,000 miles on the original wimpy C4 ... This car was my first car that I bought with 102,000 miles at 16 years old, and lived a brutal 1 1/2 years of juvenile play... Does this mean anything? Maybe not, could it be luck? Yes, but I lose bad in Vegas, so go figure... ???

11H

11H, Help...The Manual says to change the fluid and FILTER at specfied intervals, I've been told by "AT experts" that there is no "stinking" filter. Only a screen. Therefore it is recommended that you NOT DROP the pan, just perform the "full change" method when changing AT fluid. Any input? ???

Another couple of easy ones for 11H or anyone in-the-know...

My impression while driving is that driving in 3rd keeps the transmission from ever going into OD. ?Right or wrong?

Also my impression from driving is that tow/haul will go into OD, but at a higher RPM. ?Right or wrong?

IF the above happens to be true AND you believe the advice that you shouldn't tow a trailer in OD (at any speed), should you then drive in 3rd with the tow/haul engaged?

Confused ??? (not that I have anything to tow anyways ?:rolleyes:),
Rich

Back