• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I want to talk to the General

Hound

SM 2006
SM 2005
what is the chain of command?

This whining problem, reportedly in the power steering system, isn't being addressed to my satisfaction and I am told that GM knows about it.  The dealership isn't giving me the answers I want.  Where do I go from here?

Either try another Dealership...or call GM customer service number...which I think is in owners manual...

I just got off the phone with Chevrolet Cust. Service at 800-222-1020. ?My annoyance is growing with each passing minute. ?Suppose I am obsessive compulsive.

I asked the guy, "How do you justify selling someone a 38k pick-up truck with a known problem that has no known fix? ?I am not waiting for you to find out how to fix it. ?You shouldn't be selling a truck with a problem like that unless you are willing to wait to get paid until AFTER its fixed."

He's going to "look into it". ?I am so grateful. ?Not.

PaulP said:
Is it every Avalanche that has the power steering problem?

Looks like hydroboost-equipped, from the documents and descriptions.  2004+

DougD said:
PaulP said:

Looks like hydroboost-equipped, from the documents and descriptions.? 2004+

The problem seems to be related to the vehicle being equipped with the hydroboost.  I am having a little difficulty understanding why some would have the hydroboost brake and others not but the investigation continues......

Hound said:
DougD said:
PaulP said:

Looks like hydroboost-equipped, from the documents and descriptions.  2004+

The problem seems to be related to the vehicle being equipped with the hydroboost. I am having a little difficulty understanding why some would have the hydroboost brake and others not but the investigation continues......

Difficulty in what way?  The 2004+ were equipped with hydroboost, was a change from GM.  Just that simple ;)

The difficulty is with my understanding why my previous 2004, which was apparently also hydroboost equipped, didn't have this whining issue and my replacement 2004 does.  If the problem is directly related to the hydroboost brakes it would seem that the problem would be more prevalent across the board.  However, the way the dealer explains it this is a relatively rare complaint I am experiencing.

Hound said:
The difficulty is with my understanding why my previous 2004, which was apparently also hydroboost equipped, didn't have this whining issue and my replacement 2004 does. If the problem is directly related to the hydroboost brakes it would seem that the problem would be more prevalent across the board. However, the way the dealer explains it this is a relatively rare complaint I am experiencing.

Just life ;)  Manufacturing tolerances differ just enough that when coupled together, some might be just fine.  Also, could be something that takes time to develop - do you have more mileage on the new one vs. the stolen one?

I do have more mileage on this one but the problem was evident from the day I picked it up with about 200 miles.  So, I can't say that the problem had a chance to develop in this truck v. the other one.

Nobody should misunderstand me.  I love the truck.  I just want this issue ironed out but I don't want to get rid of the truck.

Hound,
After you have taken it to the Dealership and they report they have no fix for the problem,  they will direct you to the Chevy Care Number. The Care center will talk to the Service Manager at the Dealership to get further information on the complaint. They will probably inform you that the Dealership has taken care of it to GM's satisfaction or there is no fix for the problem at this time or they are working on it. Either way these steps must be followed before you may take the next step to the Automotive BBB. If the mileage on the vehicle and time of ownership is less than the warranty period and you believe a problem exists and it has not been taken care of to your satisfaction, then mediation with the BBB is your final step. Compare your problem with other Av's to get a baseline, keep all your paperwork and write down all actions you have taken to solve the problem. Unless it is a safety or a bad mechanical problem, vehicle replacement by the manufacturer is very low. But the mediator can force GM to follow your wishes to repair the vehicle if he rules in your favor. Time consuming yes but worth it in the long run. Try taking it to another dealership or talking to the service manager about the problem. Good Luck!

what the heck is the Automobile BBB?

I have another plan for GM if they don't get this fixed.  In the end, it will cost me money but it will cost GM FAR more money.  Alot of money.  I hope it doesn't come to this though.

Maybe It just needs cladding. ;D Seriously, I had an issue with my dealership and I contacted GM customer service through email and they said we would look into it. About a week later my dealership called and was very polite and resolved the issue at hand. Good luck.

The Auto Line BBB is the Better Business Bureau system's national program for resolution of automotive disputes. Contact at 1 800 955 5100. For legal action by you to be in your favor, following the dispute resolution procedure is your best recourse unless the problem is a serious one.

So, I wonder how to get beyond the concrete ceiling of the customer DISservice reps.  We've actually spoken to a CS supervisor once.  We've now been through 3 different agents, all of who have stopped returning our calls.  ??? I think the General has demoted me from Customer to Piss Boy!  I wrote a 4 page letter to the president of GM, sent certified mail 3 weeks ago.  I have no doubt that he won't personally read, but I'm sure he has PR people that handle those things.  Thus far, nada!  :E: Maybe his PR people are also his trash collection people.  :mad:

On the up side, I drove a Titan and a Hemi Ram this weekend.  I was about 2 seconds from trading the AV and signing a VERY nice deal on the Ram...but I just couldn't bring myself to that point quite yet.  :cautious:

Back