• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

0-60 in 5.2 seconds!

magragc5

SM 2003
I wanted an idea of where my truck was running 0-60 this morning.  I took out a stopwatch and blasted a 0-60 run just to see and I couldn't believe my eyes- 5.2 seconds!!!!  I did not stall the truck to spool the turbo, I just mashed it.  I have the stocks tires back on it for the winter, traction is so bad even if I spooled it to 2 psi I would roast the tires.  I think once it warms up a bit and I put on my other tires I should be able to break through 5 seconds.  This was done with a basic stopwatch and my speedo (in 2wd), so it might be off by +/- 1-2 tenths, but man I was surprised!!

I have not been to the track yet, this spring I will have to go.

Now I have to kick it up to 13psi and then test it out, this was only done at 10psi...

Ed

Those are some amazing numbers.  One question though - with forced induction don't you run slower in warmer air, because their is less O2 volume being forced into the engine?  I always noticed that my two turbo charged vehicle has a lot more zip when it was 10 degrees out in the winter versus when it was 90 degrees out in the summer.

Of course my experience with forced induction is almost two decades old, gulp, so maybe things have changed.

Yes, but I am so limited traction wise, my truck actually slows down when you power brake it and leave the line.  I did it the other day and I made it about 20 feet when the truck stopped and I hit over a hundred on the speedo.  I could try 4wd, but I think that would hurt me upstairs.  In the fall I could get to 2-3 psi before it would start to break loose- the truck would fire out like a rocket.  Keep in mind we have all kinds of salt and sand on the roads right now. 

Ed

Fast Eddie said:
Yes, but I am so limited traction wise, my truck actually slows down when you power brake it and leave the line. I did it the other day and I made it about 20 feet when the truck stopped and I hit over a hundred on the speedo. I could try 4wd, but I think that would hurt me upstairs. In the fall I could get to 2-3 psi before it would start to break loose- the truck would fire out like a rocket. Keep in mind we have all kinds of salt and sand on the roads right now.

Ed

I agree that traction is an issue.  When I did SCCA Autocross I could run my 15" rims in competition, because it wasn't a factory option.  But I would do "fun runs" after competition with my bigger street rubber, and even though I ran shaved Yokohama racing tires on my 14" rims I could consistently get a time improvement, a measurable improvement on the bigger rubber - but of course I'm talking handling versus straight line acceleration.

I guess when you're putting 400 HP + at the rear axle on the ground traction is kind of critical - LOL.  Have you tried in Auto Trac?  Man a lot of stress on the drive train I would think but OTOH double the power to the ground.  That's why the Subaru WRX is such a rocket ship with 258 HP in that tiny car - can get all the power on the ground.  I'm not doubting your numbers, just the notion that you'll have better performance in hot weather.

Maybe I should say the streets clean up a bit more than the air warms up.  I find it runs best at about 50 degrees, but the streets are so crappy right now.  I have run it in auto track, but I am afraid of nuking something- Not to mention when under full throttle pushing 600fwhp it gets scary when things suddenly engage and the truck snaps back and forth looking for traction.  I will try a run to compare.  BTW this was will a full tank of gas.

Ed

That is a fast 0-60... :eek:

I need my 05 Z71 to get those kind of numbers.

Robbi

Back