• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CARGO STORAGE SIDE BOX

D

decoy

My LOCKED storage box (driver's side) on side of cargo area, "blew" open, at 60 mph, in extremely high winds. Believe me, IT WAS LOCKED, when air pressure forced it open. The "hatch" simply popped open. No harm done, when I checked it and closed it.
(2003 1500 Avalanche 4X4)

Yea, some of us have had that happen......what we figured happened was the lock WAS locked but it was not latched first! Make sure to slam it and try to pull it back up THEN lock it! The same goes for the tailgate, you need to really slam it to make sure it catches then lock it!

Butch

I had my tailgate slam open today in a carwash and I thought something had hit my AV.
Tractman

I'd had problems with my lid on one of the cargo side boxes securing and determined the latch inside the box came loose and dropped a little. Slamming it for awhile will work but the latch eventually drops to a point it won't secure. I aligned the latch and now close my lids gently before I lock them to avoid pushing the latch down again. I've never had them fly open though!

Your point is well taken. Therefore, I will clarify my post. The cargo box side box was LATCHED AND LOCKED, when air pressure popped it open, at 60 mph, in very high winds.

Posted by: Z66 BUTCH Posted on: Yesterday at 7:11pm
Yea, some of us have had that happen......what we figured happened was the lock WAS locked but it was not latched first! Make sure to slam it and try to pull it back up THEN lock it! The same goes for the tailgate, you need to really slam it to make sure it catches then lock it!

Yes--it happened to me too a few weeks after I purchased my AV, I thought my lid had blown off completely. The wind was extremely strong that day.

I saw a topic on this site soon after regarding a possible fix for this problem, it has to do with tighten the screws on the latch. I'll see if I can find that topic again.

Similar note on the tailgate. I wired a pin switch to operate the cargo lights and yesterday wife comes home and says a dash light is on. SO i check and its the cargo light indicator. Go to check the pinswitch and tailgate isn't latched. 10 mile drive and it never opened. Then she says thats why the light kept flashing when she went over bump.

Back