• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MAJOR 4WD PROBLEMS

RefugioAvalanche

Well to continue a post that I had put up Friday.

Took AV in to dealer to get Front End Aligned.

While there at 2700 on clock so had them do OIL Change. While truck on lift they see oil coming from front diff. The 4WD is not working. They said that Front Diff needed to be replaced and that I could have it back monday afternoon.

The dealership gave me a big runaround...

Friday they said it was Front Diff and that they would order parts be back on monday to pick it up. Did not take a rental as had other trasnportation for weekend.

Today go into dealership. AV is jacked up, and they have computer Etc.. hooked up to it.

Service tech hands me a jar and says smell. I do, and It is horrendous.

Turns out that Front Diff story was B.S. The Transfer case basically imploded. 2989 on the clock and no 4WD.

The service manager starts giving me hell and says stuff about abuse and hard on vehicles. Then they try and give me a GRAND-AM. I am 6'1" and I said not no but hell no. They say how it is $15 mor for a truck. I tell salesman that maybe next time I will buy a ford.

Owner of dealership hears this and offers a Dodge Durango Rental at no charge. I took that.

They are going to pull Transfer case and call me to look at it. I am going to take pics when they do and will post them.

Beginning to regret buying an Avalanche.

Billy Clay :cry: :cry: :cry:

Billy,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Looks like you got unlucky with your AV.

The thing to remember is this could happen with any vehicle made by any manufacturer. these vehicles are getting to complex and have so many moving parts that you should expect ot have some mechanical failures and if you don't then consider yourself blessed IMHO.

I have had many vehicles and have been pretty lucky with "most" As long as what ever happens is covered under warranty then I will take it in stride.

RefugioAvalanche said:
Beginning to regret buying an Avalanche.

Billy Clay :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't say that Billy :cry: Every make and model has a bad one every now and then. And if there is a complaint it should probably be directed at the dealer. He could have made this a good experience. I am sure once they replace the diff all will be well.

Billy: That's truly unfortunate :6:

If there's anything we can offer in the way of assistance, just speak up! My Av has been problem free, but there are others here who have had issues with the truck (or more accurately, their issues were with the way the dealership handled the situation!) and can offer a lot of good advice!

Hope it works out well for you in the end and that you end up with a vehicle that will make you happy!

I have heard of one or two other members with this same issue ... (burnt up T case)

Is there a reason yet of why it happens?

I wonder if it's a mis-adjustment from the factory in the autotrac ... Hmmm

For it to go that bad that quick is weird...

BTW, tell the service manager that there's no way you could do that to a T case on your own within the mileage you have clocked ... Unless you beat the holy hell out of the truck daily; and in that case I even doubt it ... That service manager has shown his ignorance ... If your T case is because of your abuse, then I would think the whole truck would show signs of gross abuse... Which I'm sure is not the case... Ya got some doozies out there these days ... I would get the contact info for your area service rep and make a complaint to him personally ... And then GM after that ...

11H

RefugioAvalanche,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Thanks so much for sharing your experience as it really helps others (including me w/ my recent 4WD issue) to differentiate (slight, unententional pun :p ) between what could be more widespread (i.e. 4WD TSB's) and your unfortunate, and hopefully very isolated, major issue.

I wish you luck in getting the issue resolved, and I hope you don't become too upset w/ your purchase.

Rich

Billy - My T Case imploded too with low miles - they saved the outside case - everything else was replaced inside - I was without my AV for more than a week :(

I love the truck, but I have had more than my share of problems - I understand you being frustrated and thinking about another vehicle - I have been there with my AV when it has problems - I will deal with the problems

Blue, what did they say was the cause?

Did they give you trouble about replacing it?

I am dealing with it better now that it has been a day :)
but I am still not too happy with the Dealer Service Manager. He keeps talking abuse, and there has been none

RefugioAvalanche said:
Blue, what did they say was the cause?

Did they give you trouble about replacing it?

I am dealing with it better now that it has been a day :)
but I am still not too happy with the Dealer Service Manager. He keeps talking abuse, and there has been none

I was not given a cause - all I cared about is that it was fixed :)

I was not given any trouble - my T Case was dripping fluid and it smelled like burnt metal - once they opened it they fixed it - no questions.

Tell your service manager to call me (PM if you need my #) - my AV had only been in 4x4 once to go up a buddies driveway - thus no abuse. He can even call the dealership that fixed mine.

Only problem I had since was a few weeks ago a solinoid to engage 4x4 on the T case went out and was not enagaging or staying in 4x4 mode. I think this is unrelated.

What is this abuse crap? I mean, I know these aren't Army HumVees, but did not GM make this vehicle to go off road at least on occasion? I'm a total newbie to off-roading (haven't even attempted in my new Av yet)...does GM expect that I'm going to video-document any instance that I decide to leave the pavement?

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

One thing to make sure with your problems is that you documnet EVERYTHING. Every person you talk to , what time, date, what you talked about etc. This way if you have further problems, you will have back up data. You also need to get EVERYTHING promised to you in writing. Just make sure your always cool, calm and collective when talking with managers, corporate, or who ever. Never blow up on them or you will not get anywhere. Dont let them push you around either(i know you didnt get pushed around by getting the durango.) Just make sure to write down all info and you should get it taken care of. Worst case scenario, go to another dealership.
Frank

GM doesn't make the transfer cases for their trucks. They are made New Ventura Gear which also makes the tcs for Dodge, Jeep and the Ford Superduty/Excusions. Check out the bottom ofthis page to see what the newer tcs fit.

RefugioAvalanche said:
Then they try and give me a GRAND-AM. I am 6'1" and I said not no but hell no. They say how it is $15 mor for a truck. I tell salesman that maybe next time I will buy a ford.

Hey - I'm 6' and I drive a Grand Am every day! ;)

But heck, if complaining got you a Durango - more power to you!

Well they decided to replace the transfer case, and they ordered it today will be here tommorow and by lunch time I will have my baby back :) They are going to let me take pics of the transfer case and parts that are melted so I will post sometime tommorow.

Thanks for all of your support. My Dealership was there for me..The abuse stuff got put aside, turns out he was joking, but I advised him that I did not appreciate jokes that pertained to the well being of my new $40,000 truck

thanks again.

Billy Clay Myers

(P.S. I AM GLAD I BOUGHT AN AVALANCHE ;D)

Ok, let me introduce myself. My name is Thomas from Austin, TX. This is my first post on this board. I am not an Avalanche owner. I opted for a Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab w/ Duramax Diesel engine. I have had NOTHING but 4x4 problems with this truck. It's a long story but, let's just say I'm looking for something else! I was looking at the avalanche and hoping that it did not have 4x4 problems since it uses a different transfer case all together from the HD's. The HD's do not have the auto trac transfer case.

Those of you seeing 4x4 problems with the avalanche, do you get a "Service 4WD" message in the DIC? Or is this just something that is discovered by the service tech when taking the vehicle in for something else?

Thanks!
Thomas

Keep looking down the list and you will see at least two more topics on this. And to answer your question yes there is a problem with all chevy 1500 trucks and service 4wd. I have one and there is a fix comming I am told.

Dwyane,

My 4WD got a reprogrammed based on the older (Oct '02) TSB (which I still say is odd since my Av was built in Feb '03 and I would have thought they'd include the "proper" programming by then). So you are saying that I still could be subject to the newer programming (or mechanical fix) based on the newer TSB? If that's the case, I think it could be viewed as misleading that my service department didn't indicate this on my invoice if it is common knowledge.

What do you think?

First Cabby Blue {ouch!} Next RichUF I don't know if your trouble is the same as mine. I get a service 4wd on the dic and when I bring it in they check grounds and reset the computer code. They say a new type transfer case module is the fix when chevy comes up with one.

Thomas - I have been around here for a while - from what I have read, the % of the population having problems with the T Case is rather low.

I think something was put in wrong when mine was built by the OEM - my DIC did not come on - but the burnt green fluid dripping from my AV told it was time to take it in.

Overall I would say the AV is a good solid truck - sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your current truck - I know the frustration :(

DWAYNE said:
First Cabby Blue {ouch!} Next RichUF I don't know if your trouble is the same as mine. I get a service 4wd on the dic and when I bring it in they check grounds and reset the computer code. They say a new type transfer case module is the fix when chevy comes up with one.
My dealer installed the so called new and improved encoder motor last week and so far all is well. It was one of the first ones sent to a dealer. I hope it works out. We will see.

RoadKing I will be watching to see what happens. Mine only seems to act up when its cold rainning or snowing. In other words when you need it the most. Thanks for the update.

My truck(2500HD Duramax) started with just the DIC message when we were on a road trip to California. Then, in Barstow of all places, the thing starts grinding and the lights show it's in 4lo. It really was in 4lo too, you can definitly tell the difference. Finally got it out of 4lo and took it to a service dept where they "pulled the fuse to reset the computer". Dorks. All was fine till coming back home. Service dept. #2 updated the software. Must've been about 15 miles down the road before the light came on again and more grinding could be heard. Finally made it home. Drained the xfer case and found lots of nice pretty metal shavings. Dealer I bought it from swapped the transfer case. Good for a month, then same story. Dealer swapped front differential and transfer case. Next day, Service 4WD on the DIC.

I sure hope they'll buy this bucket back from me. Trouble is, what to get? 2003 Av's got the same problem...Z71 1/2 tons have the same problem...Toyota's are too small and Fords and Dodges suck. What to do???!!!??? :cry:

Back