Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/21/14 04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Midgate Subwoofer Enclosures  (Read 3042 times)
Gwalp

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 02/15/05 11:45 AM »

I have read several posts regarding expensive midgate sub enclosures (JL, 4 Banger, etc), building your own custom midgate sub enclosure and options for installing subs under the rear seats. So far the best (and most rewarding) option seems to be building my own midgate. However, I'm curious to know the plus's and minus's or simply modifying the factory midgate to house subs. Could be as simple as providing two 10" holes thru the midgate, mounting two sealed 10" sub enclosures to the back of the midgate and then applying a coat of rubber urethane (do it yourself bedliner) to the entire back surface of the midgate. Is this possible? I imagine I would also have to line the inside of the midgate with sound absorbing material... I would just feel much more comfortable keeping the factory midgate installed and not having to deal with brackets, hinges, weather seals, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Also, when installing subs into the midgate, where do people end up putting their rear window when they want to take it off. I wouldn't want to leave it laying loose anywhere. Thinking maybe there's a way to use the factory method of securing it in the midgate pocket, only applying this same idea to the tailgate?
DS
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 02/15/05 09:51 PM »

Wow, I get to be the first to say, "Welcome to the club!"  Grin

The midgate enclosures out there right now don't seem to be putting smiles on members faces right now, especially the JL enclosure which is being purchased from between $1200-1600 from what I've read. It has had many complaints of improper fit and not a high rating on the dollars-vs-performance scale.

Putting an enclosure into the midgate makes perfect sense, since there will be no fit and finish issues with the gate not latching properly as with the JL product. All you basically need to do is make the appropriate opening into your gate for an enclosure to fit right into it.

Check out this midgate enclosure from our member KodiakZ, who also will build you one of these gates if you so desire:

Take notice that some of the extra bed length is still functional in this design with the enclosure mounted high in the gate, allowing what appears to be at least 6" of room on the midgate itself.

Click *here* to view this entire thread about this midgate enclosure.

MR.SMITH

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/05 05:54 AM »

Is this what you had in mind?

SIg Pic exceeds:
30kb file size
100 pixel height.
Gwalp

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/05 12:04 PM »

I found both of those message strings soon after I posted my question, lol. I'm going to take off my midgate and start designing my box tonight. I'm also going to design something really nice that will allow me to attach my rear window to the tailgate, much like how the window is intended to be stored on the midgate. I'll begin posting pics soon.
BEANZ

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/05 09:21 PM »

Good luck, make sure you get some pictures up, would be nice if you could get somthing working

2002 Z71 Avalanche- MODS: Ambers, Painted Cladding,  22 ultra rims wrapped in yokohama geolanders, Chrome Bullbar and Taillight guards, chrome grill, white bug guard, factory step bars, custom all white 3rd break light cover, chrome handles, white bow tie, flowmaster super 40 with dual escalade exhaust tips custom midgate sub box with two 12' Alpine type-S, JVC head unit, Audiobahn A8002T amp...ect

SIg pic removed exceeded file size limit of 30KB
Kr00g

Inflated after-market prices make me sick!!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 02/18/05 04:50 PM »

I went with the midgate out option. I have to go through a Security checkpoint to get to work these days and if the midgate was in and latched they would always want to see in the tailgate. Now they look through the passenger's window with the back passenger's side seat down with the light on. This box disconnects easily enough to retain full haulin' options but when it's in and there's 1500 watts of power thumpin' out of that enclosure, it's magnificent! The only problem I've run into with the midgate out is the few times I've removed the crossbar also. It's a heavy SoB so you have to be ready for that if you need to remove it or re-install it.

Eh. There's no right way to do it. It's all good!  Grin

2010 Blue Green Metallic, 5.3 LTZ, Chrome 22's, & every option available
illnino

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 02/28/05 10:19 PM »

anyone have any ideas for 4 rockford 12's
Qubert

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/05 01:54 PM »

Im having a similar problem ... although with 10's ^^