• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Overdrive??

wlcohen

Does the '03 have overdrive? The last couple of veichles i owned had it and there was a button to disengage it.

None on the Avalanche??

No need for a button. Like Crabby said, just put the gear shift in 3 instead of OD. And yes, of course, you will pay the price in fuel, as overdrive is merely a higher gear that lets the engine turn slower and use less fuel at speed.

The other option is to engage the tow/haul mode. This reprograms the transmission shift points and firmness. This may also decrease the mileage, but will somewhat improve performance. I hear that a side effect of this is that is also prevents (or significantly delays) shifting into OD, although I might be mistaken on that one.

-- SS

Why would ya wanna take it out of OD? FOr towing they have the tow/haul button...PS it is a fun button too.....

ygmn

Dude, you crack me up. There is not a day goes by that one of your posts doesn't make me laugh. Seriously :D

I use to take my old trucks/cars out of overdrive on long decents to help control speed,

can you shift from D to 3rd and back while the truck is moving?

Shifting back and forth between 3 & 4 should be no problem as long as you are not doing over about 110-115mph ;D
Tow haul mode on my 02 keeps the overdrive from kicking in till i reach 65 mph. It will not kick into overdrive at speeds below 65 on mine that is. I guess they work the same on all AV's...............
zeeya

Yes you can downshift while in motion [within reason], but please note that the ECM will upshift at certain levels even if you have it in 3rd - thats one of the reasons I have the Transgo, it locks out the automatic upshift "feature". ^^

As mentioned above using 3rd gear for stop and go in town driving and highway creep and go does provide much better control.

Back