Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/23/14 12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inconsistent/Inaccurate Fuel Gauge  (Read 6978 times)
cfields13

What a sweet ride!

Awards
« on: 06/07/02 04:12 AM »

Has anyone else experienced what appears to be odd fluctuations in gau gauge readings. Mine went from just a smidge under 3/4 to 1/2 a tank seemingly overnight, and then later in the day it was back up near 3/4. Any ideas, similar issues etc.

2002 Summit White K1500 Z71 - Leather 6-way heated buckets, moonroof...and everything else except engine block heater.
Portland, OR
Blueruck

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/02 04:14 AM »

I have noticed a problem if I am parked on a hill (front end down)

I had a 1/4 tank and all of the sudden my low fuel light was on.  After driving for 10 miles down a mtn road, it came back to normal levels.
cfields13

What a sweet ride!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/02 04:26 AM »

Well perhaps is a related issue as I park on an uphill slope every night.

2002 Summit White K1500 Z71 - Leather 6-way heated buckets, moonroof...and everything else except engine block heater.
Portland, OR
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/07/02 04:40 AM »

I have noticed a problem if I am parked on a hill (front end down)

I had a 1/4 tank and all of the sudden my low fuel light was on.  After driving for 10 miles down a mtn road, it came back to normal levels.

My driveway is on a steep incline. Every time I park nose down in the evening with 1/4 tank, I see an empty fuel gage and low fuel light when I go to leave in the morning. It recovers within a few minutes(hopefully!)

2014 CAFCNA Supporting Memberships and Premium Supporting Memberships (the one with the coins!) are On Sale and Shipping! only 24 of 75 Challenge Coins are Still Available 
Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members! Link to Club Store
Powersurge
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/07/02 04:42 AM »

One thing I have noticed is that when the needle says empty you really still have a way to go. In some Avalanches it could be as much as 6 gallons. When the Needle says full, you are not completely full. Also in some Avalanches this could be off by a few gallons. This is how mine works. On empty I have 6 gallons left. When I fill up I actually bury the needle till it can't move anymore to the right. WHen this happens I still have about 1.5 gallons to put in the tank. Weird Gas Gauges!!!

2002 Z71 For. Green Metallic - Loaded
Many, Many, Many Mods!! Check my Gallery to see them.
My Mods!!
I love the Girls and the Money and the Shame of Life
gregoryglen
« Reply #5 on: 06/07/02 04:48 AM »

I had a similar issue on my GMC Sierra. It started with a buzzing sound and then the guage started to fluctuate any where from 3/4 to a 1/2 a tank. Took it in to the dealership and they had to replace the fuel sending unit which was in the gas tank.
cfields13

What a sweet ride!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 06/07/02 05:22 AM »

Thanks everybody for all the insights, perhaps I will try parking it on a flat spot for a couple of nights and see what happens.

Portland, OR
marc_w

Torque manage THIS!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 06/07/02 07:26 AM »

Oh no.. I hope the av's don't run the same sender my Blazer has.  

My gas gauge hasn't worked accurately since last fall.  I reset my trip meter and gas up every 200 miles.   Roll Eyes   Gotta get it fixed when I get it in the shop for a multifunction switch recall - so I'll get it fixed then.... (if I don't up and trade it beforehand)

'02 Z71 TRADED IN, for a Black '04 Silverado SS.  Mods: TR55's, MSD8.5's, B&B cat-back (duals), drop-in filter, HP Tuners, E-fans w/DC controller, stainless brake lines, custom spec'd alignment, VHP 047 (210/218 .531/.531 112), 918's. To be installed this decade: Yank 2600.
shafman1
« Reply #8 on: 06/07/02 07:33 AM »

I haven't heard of too many problems with the fuel guage reading incorrectly.  This definitely isn't the norm.

I'm sure once you get it fixed, you won't have any more problems with it.  It's most likely a bad sending unit although the guage could be bad, but it's unlikely.  I hope you get it fixed soon.  You sure don't want to push a 3 ton vehicle.   wail Cheesy Huh
byron
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

He Who Must Not Be Named

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 06/07/02 08:03 AM »

Generally when I park on a hill it does that.  Then once I drive a few miles down the road it goes back.

cfields13

What a sweet ride!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 06/11/02 05:40 AM »

Smiley Okay just thought I would let everybody know that the problem is solved. Turns out it was a combination of parking on a hill at night, which in my case makes the gauge read higher than it is, and a gas tank that did not get filled all the way when I bought my first tank of gas for my new Av. Now have filled up a second time, got a full tank and all gauge readings are matching up to miles traveled etc. Thanks for all the feedback!

Portland, OR
lars-ss
Charter Member

Trans-Forma-'La nche

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 06/11/02 06:48 AM »

More Strange Fuel Gauge behavior:

Two weeks ago, my needle stayed above 3/4 when the mileage had reached 350 miles.  Then all of a sudden the next day, it dropped back down to normal levels.

Then this past weekend, I had filled up the night before, and then the first time I drove it after the fillup, about five minutes into the drive, while we were idling at a red light, the needle JUMPED (I heard it) all the way from full down to empty, and the "Low Fuel" warning light came on.

Then about three seconds later, while still sitting at the light, the needle jumped back up to full and the low fuel light went out.

Does this sound like NORMAL behavior?  Wink I hate to go to the bother of taking the truck into the dealer for this, but I fear that I will be forced to do so. veryveryangry

Anyone seen anything REMOTELY like this?  

Other info:  I am in Phoenix, so it has been hot.  I use 87 octane gas.

Laterz........

2002 1500 4wd, Summit White, Z71, leather, soft bed cover, Lovin It.
Tanc Crusher
Charter Member

8100 Vortec Power Plant

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: 06/12/02 10:46 AM »

I had the same problem with a my previous 1500 Lemon Avalanche. I could drive it and it say 5/8 tank. A little bit later still driving it would say 1/2 tank. Maybe 10 minutes later it said 3/4 tank. All while driving down a flat interstate. After 2 attempts to find the problem at the service dept, they could not find a problem. Well one day later I filled up from a 1/4 to full. As driving out the filling station the gas gauge still said 1/4 tank. It never moved for 20 minutes. I had gotten to the service dept in 5 minutes. They thought I was lying about the quanity in the tank. Showed them the gas reciept and while talking it out, it starting moving up. Well they ordered a new fuel pump/sending unit. They recieved a new gas tank and all contents. Well that seemed to take care of the problem for a bout 3 weeks. I filled it up from then on and it never ever went past 7/8 tank mark the rest of the time I had it.  A week later the transmission went out and 3 weeks later it was gone and bought a 2500 Avalanche. Lost over $4500 over that   Cheesy:LEMON!!!!!!

veryveryangry Never recieved an apology from Chevrolet   veryveryangry

(traded)  2003 2500 4x4 Arrival Blue, 8100 vortec, 4L85E, 4.10 Diffs 340hp and 455tq, Date 10-3-03

2007.5 Chevrolet 2500 HD CrewCab LongBed White LTZ with LMM 6.6L Duramax / Allison 6-Speed Auto. 365hp and 650tq  Date 3-20-07
Mods  -  Line of Fire, DashHawk II
DPF Delete, 5" MBRP Turboback Exhaust, EFI-Live with DSP5 tune, Suncoast IV and 1056 converter.

UA Steamfitter from Local 136 Evansville, IN
Z-28Avalanche
« Reply #13 on: 06/12/02 12:19 PM »

I have the same problem with my 1500.  The very first time I filled it up after purchase the gauge took about 20 miles to register full.  Then it was fine for about 8-9 months.  It then proceeded to move up or down while driving, usually going low enough to turn on the low fuel light.  It has been fine for almost two months now.  I didn't want to take it to a dealer either because I figured they wouldn't believe me.  Has Chevrolet acknowledged any kind of problem?
Aegis
Charter Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06/12/02 03:36 PM »

Lar-ss

My 2500 has done the exact same thing a few times. Maybe a total of 3-4 times since I have had the Av. I have not taken it in for this and unless it goes out completely I won't. They probably won't be able to figure out what is wrong anyway until it breaks.

Gary

Summit White 2500 4X4  Flowmaster 40  K&N
Xenon Blue 9005 9006 Headlights
XM Satellite radio, Flag Bowtie,UPD FIPK, (2) 7 inch dvd screens. Superchip , Pioneer GPS navigation system.  Torrance,Calif.
AUAV

Go Tigers

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 06/12/02 06:38 PM »

My problem has been that I'll fill up and drive about 200 miles before the needle reaches 3/4 full.  Then over the next 50-75 miles it will drop to 1/4.  Undecided    End up getting about 300 miles on 3/4 tank ( 14 mpg).

'02 Z-66, light Pewter, sunroof, assist steps, mobile theater,SilverStars, 899's, amber DRL's, K&N fipk, flowmaster duals, wrangler dual battery kit, 190 amp alternator.
RichUF
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 06/13/02 01:26 AM »

AUAV,

Typical Chevy, methinks.  I do believe there have been articles written about this phenomenon...something about it being that way because the average customer, whether they know it or not, wants it that way.  Can't remember where I saw this, but I didn't buy it...I'd prefer accuracy.
« Last Edit: 06/13/02 01:28 AM by RichUF » Logged

[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]
RichUF
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

UNP1MPD

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/13/02 01:34 AM »

got this from http://autos.excite.com/select/view/id/116.html

"Fuel Gauge
Deliberately designed to be inaccurate! After you fill up the tank the gauge will stay on full for a long time, then slowly drop until it reads 3/4 full. After that, it moves progressively faster until the last quarter of a tank seems to go very quickly. This is a bit of psychological slight-of-hand to give the impression that the car gets better gas mileage then it does, it seems to reduce the number of complaints from new car buyers during the first few weeks after they bought the car.

When the needle drops below E, there is usually 1 or 2 gallons left in reserve. To find out for sure, pull out your owners manual and find out how many gallons of gas your tank holds, then the next time you fill up an empty tank, check how many gallons it took to fill it. The difference is your reserve."

This guys opinion is not specific to Chevy, but it states what I said in my previous post.  Guess there is psychology involved if you buy this theory.

[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]
dhknoebel

A Solution... for every problem!

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/13/02 01:49 AM »

AUAV, this has definitely been my experience with GM vehicles.  Extremely non-linear on the fuel guage.  While I would prefer it to be more accurate, I consider it a small price to pay on the AV.

'02 1500 Z71 Indigo Blue
So. Ill / St. Louis, MO
fozzybear

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 02/25/03 11:14 PM »

I hope this is the right area to put this.  I have a 2003 1500 AV I picked up on December 31, 2002.  Great truck so far but I have noticed that when I get the "LOW FUEL WARNING" and the guage is actually registering Empty, I can only put 26 gallons of gas in maximum.  I thought it had a 31 gallon tank, where is the other 5 gallons?
Powersurge
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 02/26/03 12:33 AM »

Wow this is like one of my first topics I ever posted in. THe gas gauge is a little off. You will register empty and still have about 5 gallons left. I have a 2002 with 23,000 miles on it. I have never been able to put more than 26 gallons in it. Don't abuse it. Fill up when you're registering empty. Its a nice buffer to have.  thumbs_up

2002 Z71 For. Green Metallic - Loaded
Many, Many, Many Mods!! Check my Gallery to see them.
My Mods!!
I love the Girls and the Money and the Shame of Life
chrisntam
Charter Member

Avalanche! The Ultimate Utility Vehicle!!

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 02/26/03 12:36 AM »

Welcome Fozzybear!

I recall reading another thread that talked about the need to keep the fuel pump (located in the tank) cooled by the fuel.  If it runs too low, the pump will overheat and wear prematurely.  The thread also talked about how far you could go once the low fuel light came on (about 50 miles or so, I think).  I think the 5 gallon comfort zone is great.  Hope this addresses your concerns.

02 AV 1500 Forest Green Z-66 Mods: steering wheel audio controls, Amber DRLs, EZ Out Rear headrests, EZ Slider, NAV CAM
pdxkevin
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Spero nos familiares mansuros

WWW Awards
« Reply #22 on: 02/26/03 12:37 AM »

The gauge seems normal on ours.

Try parking facing downhill overnight and see what the needle points to in the morning.

...  Go Play outside  ...
Avalanche Rookie

Life goes on.....

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: 02/26/03 12:42 AM »

The guage in my AV seems to be as inconsistant as every other vehicle I've owned.  

For example....it's suppose to have a 31 gallon tank, right?  I filled up yesterday at 1/8 of a tank...it only held 22 gallons.  At that point the gauge was reading 1/8 but I had approx 9 gallons of gas.

A couple of weeks ago I filled up when the low fuel light came on and only put 25.5 gallons in.

2004 WBH Dark Gray Metallic Z66 - Sunroof, Cloth Seats, Stabilitrac, Avalanche Visor Decals, Custom Bowtie, In-Channel Vent Visors, XD5 Headlamps, Full Time DRL's, All 4 on at Once Mod.  Yet to install......chrome handles.

Sound System:  Pioneer NAV-SYS900DVD DVD Mobile Navigation System.
lightbg

Nosebleed Lift

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 02/26/03 12:44 AM »

chevy chevy chevy
AUAV,

I can back up your findings. I always fill up and I travel roughly 100-130 miles before the needle moves off the full deflection mark........it hovers above 3/4 for the next 100-150mi then plunges over the next 50. Dumber than a carp, but at least I haven't been stranded..........yet veryangry

Jake

'02 Victory Red Z71, sport buckets, GM assist steps, GM bug deflector, GM Splashshields, LOF, 885's, billet knobs and antenna, sail windows and LED's, rear steplights, Magnaflow exhaust, Zaino on everything, 0% financing through Generous Motors SHE'S ALL MINE!...and BB King, GM and I have the same birthday......Woot!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: