• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Joint Flap For Midgate Problem/Warning

MyTucsonAZ

Recently I began to clean out the bed of my AV. The first thing I do is pull up the drain cover that holds down the front edge of the rubber mat. Usually removing the cover presents no problems, until now. As I pulled up on one corner of the cover, the whole flap mechanism that covers the midgate hinge gap, lifted up with it. At first I didn't think nothing of it. After I removed the mat and reanalyzed the situation, I realized the damage had been done. The bed side of the flap is attached with 6 screws through eyelets. This is where the rear of the flap had actually been bent. At first it looked as though that all I had to do was to push the peice back down. NO WAY!! The back portion of the hinge mechanism is fiberglass. All the eyelets where basically cracked, and on the side where I began to lift the drain cover off, well the eyelet there is almost completely broken off.

I'm taking this to the dealer tomorrow to see if the warranty will cover it, especially since I did it according to the manual. If they won't cover it, I'm sure I'll get hit with an expensive replacement.

I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can, but consider this a warning. Be gentle when removing the cover.

I was hauling some landscape material this weekend and was sweeping out the bed when I noticed how this "flap" holds down the bed mat. For a moment I considered taking out the mat but when I gently pulled up on the flap and it did not move I stopped. For fear of forcing something and breaking it I decided to leave be until I could research better. So what exactly is the procedure for getting the mat out? Are you saying that one has to loosen those screws first? Or is the flap supposed to "give" enough to get the mat out??? ???

I recently took mine out. It was just as described in the manual, although I know what you mean about being nervous and breaking something. I gently pulled up the drain gate slowly working from one end to the other and it came loose just fine. then the mat comes right out.

Weak plastic clips has been and continues to be a pet peeve of mine with American auto engineering. Compare for instance the simple act of removing a door panel of a GM with a Japanese or German vehicle. I've never been able to do it without breaking a clip or two. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads-up with the flap issue.

Rich

I await pics as I am curious as to what you are talking about here...........

It is possible to get the mat out without removing the drian cover. Just pull and it will slip from under the cover.
To get it back in; put the mat back with it over lapping the cover about an inch or so. Then lift the edge of the cover and it will go back under with out to much effort.

CAUTION !!!!
Dont slide you fingers along the underside of the cover it is sharp enough to give a nasty cut. I speak from experience. HURT LIKE A MUTHER

I did the same thing as Dig. The mat simply rests under the drain gate and was very easy for me to just slide it out. Putting it back was a little trickier but still not too bad.

BigBlue, the manual describes how to get the grate off, and it doesn't require the removal of the screws. Actually the screws are under the front edge of the mat, which is held down by the grate. I do reccommend you remove your mat and clean it periodically too. Water can get trapped under the mat and stay there for days.

As I said previously, I have never really had a problem getting the grate off before. I was probably a little over jealous this time, but I didn't expect the mount to be so weak.

*****DEALER EXPERIENCE*****
Anyway, I took the AV in today, and they did nothing....well almost nothing. When I dropped the truck off I left the midgate down and the grate removed. Little did I know that I should have removed the rubber mat too. Well, they had the truck fixed right away, and was ready for me to pick after work. When I picked up the truck everything was put back in order, midgate closed and seats up. No charge for the maintenance. Another mistake, I should have checked it before I left. When I got home I found out that all they did was reinstall the grate....as if it had "popped" off, as the service invoice noted. They were probably laughing at me thinking I was helpless. Anyway, I called them back and talked to the service manager, who had actually helped do the work on my truck. All said and done, it basically came down to the lack of communication between the service attendant and the techs. So off it goes tomorrow, and this time the manager will be waiting for me...or so he promised. Yes I was polite to the manager and so were they, even though it's quite inconvenient juggling rides to work, school and daycare.

Sorry for not having any pictures yet. My other car has A/C problems so I've been busy tinkering this evening. In AZ A/C is critical.

Uh oh... I was washing the truck and snapped the joint flap on my '03 Z71...  :E:  I'm sure it was already partially damaged from the faulty tape pads that kept sticking when the midgate went down over the years....

Has anyone tried to repair the fiberglass with marinetex?   I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Also,  it is next to impossible to find a reference to the part #'s that appear on these panels... 
Mine says GM PART 15076365     on the plastic piece with the 3M stick pads.   On the fiberglass piece I found the following #'s:  "150696 60", "539721-C", and "SAE UP GF-28"...        Called the dealer parts counter and they had quite a bit of trouble finding what I was looking for, but they said there are 2 parts.  The upper part was quoted at 100.90 and the "panel with the hinge" was quoted at 189.00.    Anyone know which one I need, and if I can maybe order one from GM Direct?

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• T_BED.JPG
    T_BED.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 339
  • FLAP.JPG
    FLAP.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 328
I was able to put the fiberglass back together with some JB Weld.  I was afraid it might break apart when I bolted down the newly repaired panel, but it held together tight and feels secure.  Good as new.  I also used some black duct tape to fix the 3M slide pads so that they no longer stick when I drop the mid gate. 

marzahld said:
I was able to put the fiberglass back together with some JB Weld.   I was afraid it might break apart when I bolted down the newly repaired panel, but it held together tight and feels secure.  Good as new.  I also used some black duct tape to fix the 3M slide pads so that they no longer stick when I drop the mid gate. 

mine looks exactly like yours did, will try your tip and pick up some jb weld. Thanks for posting

I just got my 2013 a few weeks ago.  Tried to lower the midgate yesterday.  It popped open about 3 inches and was stuck.  I could see it putting pressure on this joint flap and hinge.  I could also see some adhesive strips.  Had a 2003 for 10 years and never had any problem like this.  I don't want to break it. I'll take it to the dealer.
thanks.

Hi, I've just had the same issue with my Joint Flap on my 2003 1500 4WD Z71. Did anyone ever find a satisfactory solution to repairing it? Unable to find any used Joint flaps.

Thanks so much!

guttersnipes199 said:
Hi, I've just had the same issue with my Joint Flap on my 2003 1500 4WD Z71. Did anyone ever find a satisfactory solution to repairing it? Unable to find any used Joint flaps.

Thanks so much!
There are hundreds if not thousands of us riding around with this thing broken and/or damaged. Finding used ones is nearly impossible as anyone without intimate knowledge of an AV doen't seem to know how to properly remove these. Every one I have seen at a salvage yard has been damaged in place or during removal. Not sure if Frito ever found one, but he was looking for like 2 years unsuccessfully last time I talked to him. My 13 is in good shape presently, but my 08 is damaged. I wish I would have pulled it out of my 05 before trading it in. Hindsight is 20/20

Calicak89 said:
. Not sure if Frito ever found one, but he was looking for like 2 years unsuccessfully last time I talked to him.
Nope, never found one.  The few I did we're too far away to ship and new ones are stupid expensive.  I tried a JB Weld fix that didn't work.  I'm like the thousands out there that just live with it.  Even the ones on eBay looked suspect.

Back