Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/17/14 08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: corvette fuel rail covers  (Read 3471 times)
moosc
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« on: 03/07/05 11:04 PM »

Has any body replaced there engine cover with the ones from a corvette can it be done i would like to do it ive got a 05 av ls2 engine  banghead
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/05 11:13 PM »

Has any body replaced there engine cover with the ones from a corvette can it be done i would like to do it ive got a 05 av ls2 engine banghead

You don't have an LS2 engine.  I'm guessing you have a 1500 Avalanche, so you have an LM7 engine.  5.3 liter (Vortec 5300)

LS2 is an entirely different animal, that RPO is specific to the 6.0L aluminum motor found in the SSR, Corvette and GTO.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/05 11:14 PM »

Darned laptop mouse, quick-clicked me.

To continue....

The covers could be done, I believe.  You'd need to replace the Vortec cover entirely and get all of the appropriate mounting hardware to match the C5 LS1 covers.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/05 11:26 PM »

One more addition Wink

You WISH you had an LS2 in yours.  I know I'd like one in mine!

moosc

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/05 06:30 AM »

your right its the 5.3 but its still based on the new LS2 block dissappointed
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/05 06:37 AM »

your right its the 5.3 but its still based on the new LS2 block dissappointed

It's based on the OLD LS1 block, with changes.  The LS2 block is based on the LS1 block.

PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/05 07:13 PM »

we all wish we had the new LS2.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
moosc

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/05 10:20 PM »

in all reality it is a new block its a new casting theyve moved the knock sensors out on the side block and getting ready for the DOD stuff............
DougD

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 03/09/05 06:38 AM »

in all reality it is a new block its a new casting theyve moved the knock sensors out on the side block and getting ready for the DOD stuff............

Why do you insist on arguing this point while changing your point of view on it in the process?

"based on" - not "is the LS1 block"

You have an LS1-design block in your Avalanche, not an LS2 motor, not an LS2-designed block, etc.

The LS2 block is an outgrowth of the LS1 block - as the design is highly similar.  Displacement alone is notably different from LS1 to LS2.  The 400 small block is simply an outgrowth of the early small blocks as well, but it isn't the same thing.  It's a new casting, etc. - following? Wink

Shanes 02 Avalanche

Teach your children well, they are the future.

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: 03/25/05 06:29 PM »

Huh
the difference between a LM7 and an LS1 are slight but enough to mess you up. I do believe that if you can get an LS1 or LS2 you should beable to drop it in your Av with very little issues.

I am actually working on dropping an LS1 into my 78 Datsun 280Z. It is a sweet fit. I only need to modify the sway bar. The frame is strong enough to handle it.

I found 1 LS1 about 1 month ago in a warehouse.It had about 20k on it. They wanted a lot for it, 7k is what they said. I am still in the process of removing my old drivetrain. When I get the Motor I am thinking of putting it in the Av. I am just worried about the loss of Torque. but I am sure the computer can be modified.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr
KY_BOB

I loved my S.L.U.T.: Sport Luxury Utility Truck

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 03/25/05 11:08 PM »

I agree on all points that Doug has made except that the brackets are the only thing needed to use LS1/LS6 fuel rail covers.  I hope that is right, as I would love to do this as a mod. 

I've done a small amount of work on a friends LS6/Z06 Vette.  We installed a set of long tube headers, which required removing the covers and coil packs.  The fuel rail covers on the Vette just snap on to the the fuel rails and from what I could tell the rails are larger on the 5.3 than the 5.7.  I know this doesn't make since but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this.  Also the top of the intake was shaped differently and the wiring is routed different.  I am sure that the LS1 and LS6 use the same covers. 

It may be that everything is close enough to the same that some minor relocating of the wiring would allow the use of the Vette covers.  Even if it is the LS1/6 intakes do not have the mounting bolt hole in the center of the intake that our trucks do and that would show in between the covers if they would fit.

I say someone needs to try it, make pics, and let me know what's involved, as I want to do it myself.  Of course I would rather have a true LS1, 2, or 6 Grin

Gone but not forgotten...

02 Z-71  Vortech supercharged 3.12 pulley 10psi, 212/218 .558/.563 comp cam, LS6 valve springs, SMC meth injection, 42# injectors, Flex-a-lite Efans, 3"body lift, 33 12.50-17 procomp AT, 17x9 procomp wheels, AVIC-N2 NAV, 4.56 gears, 2500 stall converter, transgo HD2 shift kit, Vette servos, 80mm BBK throttle body, Edelbrock headers, custom exhaust, Cold Fusion nitrous, and too many more mods to list.

Tuned with HPTuners
8.86@77.87mph in the 1/8th
JSal69
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

LI/NYC Chapter Decals On Sale Now - $6 each

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 03/25/05 11:38 PM »

This is what I am using on mine.

I haven't installed it yet as I still need a threaded brass fitting to go into the plenum to attach the black mounting bracket.

I have laid it all out on top of the engine and it will work perfectly.
« Last Edit: 03/25/05 11:48 PM by JSal69 » Logged

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
JSal69

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 03/25/05 11:43 PM »

and one more...

'04 Arrival Blue, WBH, Z71, SS Emblems, SS Headrests, Chrome SS Silverado Rims & SS White Face Gauge Cluster w/Trans Temp, Denali Dash Bezel, Many Chrome Parts, Born-On-Date 11/28/03, Adoption Date 01/02/04, Member Of The A.B.N.

"THOUGH I DRIVE THRU THE VALLEY OF RICE, I SHALL FEAR NO IMPORT... FOR TORQUE ARTE' WITH ME..."
Nasty

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 03/26/05 07:29 AM »

Wow...that takes the fake "SS" idea to a new level...

Huh

2004 Z66 WBH Onyx Black
XM Radio, Sunroof, Leather, Tow

My Mod List
Snoball
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06/20/05 08:00 AM »

Another way to go is the 3 piece Vortec engine cover from JP Customs. I think it ran $117 and fits perfect.

04 Summit White Z71 wbh
Mods: 20" chrome 5 spoke MB Motoring with Kumho 305/50/20's, Carriage Works billet grille & bumper inserts, Billet BowTie, billet antenna, tint, SilverStar Amber DRL's & turn signals, EZ bed slider, MagLite mod, Smoked Taillightz, ,embroidered logo on headrests, remote tailgate lock, Cobra 75WXST CB, dashmat & console cover w/ logo, K&N FIPK, body colored door handles and fender flares, NR Auto white face gauges
WVBubba
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

WV Cruise Coordinator

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: 06/20/05 09:16 PM »

Another way to go is the 3 piece Vortec engine cover from JP Customs. I think it ran $117 and fits perfect.
same thing but with a splash of color

West Virginia Chapter Site

CLICK ON SIG FOR MOD'S
JSal69

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 06/20/05 09:48 PM »

same thing but with a splash of color

I ended up using the same one as you did. (6.0L from JP Customs) and I was thinking of painting it arrival blue.

My concern was will the paint hold up to the heat ?

Did you use the factory paint, or did you use a High Heat Engine paint ?

Any tips on procedure (prepping, sanding, clear coat, no clear coat, painting of silver trim lines & logo, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance.

WVBubba
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

WV Cruise Coordinator

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/20/05 10:10 PM »

JSal69, my neighbor owns a body shop and he painted the engine covers, support brackets, radiator cowling, and my ventshades and headlight covers with factory paint even matched the headlight covers to fade with the original paint..Charged me $38.00 thumbs_up as for the silver stripes and vortec logo, he hand painted this with pinstripping paint and an artists brush (he very good, does a lot of custom work and a lot of area vette's) he is taking one of his rebuilt vettes to a super chevy show in Bristol, TN this weekend, last year he won with his 72 Stingray, this year he's taking the wifes 85 convertible that he just finished repainting a couple weeks ago. but it's factory paint not high heat, there are heat shields under the cover to deflect a lot of the heat so I think it will be just fine-Bubba

West Virginia Chapter Site

CLICK ON SIG FOR MOD'S
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/20/05 10:23 PM »

My stock cover has been painted for a while now and it's holding up well. I plan on adding some purple vinyl stripping tape to the ridges but have not done it yet so here is an "unfinished" picture:

Butch

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge"
but our love for them lives on!
JSal69

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 06/20/05 10:29 PM »

JSal69, my neighbor owns a body shop and he painted the engine covers, support brackets, radiator cowling, and my ventshades and headlight covers with factory paint even matched the headlight covers to fade with the original paint..Charged me $38.00 thumbs_up as for the silver stripes and vortec logo, he hand painted this with pinstripping paint and an artists brush (he very good, does a lot of custom work and a lot of area vette's) he is taking one of his rebuilt vettes to a super chevy show in Bristol, TN this weekend, last year he won with his 72 Stingray, this year he's taking the wifes 85 convertible that he just finished repainting a couple weeks ago. but it's factory paint not high heat, there are heat shields under the cover to deflect a lot of the heat so I think it will be just fine-Bubba

Thanks for the info.

$38.00 ?  WoW  Shocked   That doesn't even cover the cost of the paint !!!

My paint (Arrival Blue) is about $130.00 a Quart

Your neighbor is good to you.

At $38.00 it really doesn't matter if it holds up or not.  

I would love to have it match the exterior paint so I will look into the durability under heat a little further since my cost would be significantly more.
Maybe there is an additive that will extend high heat properties to the paint.

JSal69

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 06/20/05 10:31 PM »

My stock cover has been painted for a while now and it's holding up well. I plan on adding some purple vinyl stripping tape to the ridges but have not done it yet so here is an "unfinished" picture:

Butch

Thanks for the info Butch.    thumbs_up

txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 06/21/05 05:32 AM »

I ended up using the same one as you did. (6.0L from JP Customs) and I was thinking of painting it arrival blue.

My concern was will the paint hold up to the heat ?

Did you use the factory paint, or did you use a High Heat Engine paint ?

Any tips on procedure (prepping, sanding, clear coat, no clear coat, painting of silver trim lines & logo, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance.
I have used regular Krylon, Krylon Fusions, and Rustoleum and never had any problems. Other than my my own lack of patience with the painting. Embarrassed

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06-- : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
Carver1

Duramax AV would be sweet

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 07/18/05 07:39 PM »

I painted mine with a can of $.99 autozone paint, $5 chrome pinstripes, and 5 coats of clear. It's held up for 3 months now, no problems.

2003 Silverado 3500 LB7 CC/DRW 4X4
DURAMAXDIESEL/ALLISON
EDGE HOT Juice w/ATTITUDE
[][]=o=[][] Club Member #221
www.dieselplace.com
2005 Avalanche Z71 WBH
2000 Jayco Eagle 293 RKS
1979 VW Scirocco 1.6L FI
carver1@gmail.com
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 07/19/05 06:33 AM »

i have this on my AV.  after seeing the pics with the painted covers i might just paint mine.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
BONEDOG

Skunk Works

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: 07/19/05 06:43 AM »

Huh
the difference between a LM7 and an LS1 are slight but enough to mess you up. I do believe that if you can get an LS1 or LS2 you should beable to drop it in your Av with very little issues.

I did have the SLP ZL402 in mine.. heads, intake, cam, fuel rails everything from the stock 5.3 went right on.  And just dropped right in even the PCM ran it (not well but ran it) until I got it tuned.

And Doug yes our motors are RPO code LM7 but they are LS1 motors not derivitives of LS1 motors.  LS1 is the engine family.  

just wanted to clarify thats all

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: