• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

05 Flex-engine

Allows it to use FLEX fuel or E85 from my understanding

ygmn said:
Allows it to use FLEX fuel or E85 from my understanding

You are correct sir!!

Also has some different PCM Programming (I do believe).

JW

It is my understanding that it has:

1) Ethanol resistant materials in the fuel system (Ethanol is corrosive)

2) A sensor that measures the ethanol content and adjusts operating parameters accordingly.

Fuel Rails, Injectors, Gas cap...

L59 engine....

And fuel lines?  If I were to run methanol in my '97 track Camaro, I would need to use Teflon lined lines....  Ethanol and rubber don't get along.

Apart from that, you're probably right that there are no other changes to the L59...

I know neoprene rubber is dissolved quickly by nitromethane.

I use a 25/75% mix of nitromethane and methanol, to condition rubber rollers on printers, after I clean them. Also to un-goo decomposed o-rings and such, from mechanisms.

Nitro!  Kewl!  Wonder if your cleaning fluid would run my RC car?  Is it a commercial mix, or your own blend?

The way the chemistry was explained to me, nitromethane carries its own oxygen.  It breaks apart to form a hydrocarbon and nitrous oxide.  The NO2 further breaks down into a mix containing 33% O2 (rather than 20% in air).  Neat stuff.

But expensive as all hell.

Yep, it's the blend for the smaller glow engines, except in this case, no oil. Larger RC engines would be a little better off with less nitro.

I used to run 12?% in my model helo's.

Back