Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/19/14 06:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: second to third, third to second clunk or loud shift noise  (Read 2197 times)
psuduo

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 03/22/05 03:34 PM »

When I SLOWLY drive and the av upshifts from second to third or downshifts from third to second (of the automatic transmission), I have a loud clunk or loud shifting noise.

Note, if I accelerate rapidly, this noise is not heard.

Is this normal or have any of you experienced this?  If it is not normal and you had the same problem, please recommend a remedy.

A QUESTION WAS ASKED WHAT YEAR, ETC.  2003, Z71, 1500, 4X4. 

ALSO, I HAVE A LOUD CLUNK WHEN I SHIFT INTO REVERSE.  I WAS TOLD THIS IS NORMAL, ALTHOUGH IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE.  A SERVICE ADVISOR WENT FOR A RIDE WITH ME AND TOLD ME THAT THE SOUND OF SHIFTING INTO REVERSE, FROM PARK OR ANY DRIVE GEARS IS NORMAL AND IT OCCURS EVEN LOUDER WITH HIS TAHOE.  SO MUCH SO IS THE REVERSE LASH NOISE NORMAL, THAT HE PRODUCED A GM TECHNICAL BULLITIN THAT INDICATES THAT IT IS A NORMAL NOISE WHEN SHIFTING INTO REVERSE.  HOWEVER, THE REVERSE NOISE IS A DIFFERENT NOISE FROM THE 2 TO 3 OR 3 TO 2 NOISE.

ANOTHER PERSON ASKED WHERE I AM FROM IN PA.  I LIVE IN SCHUYLKILL COUNTY PA, 10 MINUTES NORTH OF THE NEW CABELAS OUTDOORS STORE WHICH IS AT THE HAMBURG EXIT OF RTE. 78.  SCHUYLKILL COUNTY IS ALSO THE HOME OF YUENGLING BEER.  SPECIFICALLY, I AM IN NEW RINGGOLD, PENNSYLVANIA.

Thank you,
Bob in PA
 chevy
« Last Edit: 03/23/05 02:37 PM by psuduo » Logged
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/22/05 03:49 PM »

What year?

1500 or 2500?

4x4 or 2x4?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ACE Z71

Ava nice day!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/23/05 01:02 PM »

Where in Pa. do you live ,I got same problem and more.I'm in lemon process now.I had GM engineer go for a ride and he said all GM trucks do this.Well I had enough lies.
Gator2000

Go Gators!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/23/05 01:11 PM »

Mine ('02 1500 4X4) does the same thing from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd.  Both during the up and down shifts.  I have had it in twice:

First time they said they couldn't reproduce....B.S.
Second time, the replaced some electronic signaling device....still didn't fix it

2002, Summit White, 1500, 4X4, Custom Painted Cladding, Custom Painted Interior, 20" Chrome Panther Realms, Chrome handles, White GM Bug Shield, Billet Interior Accessories.

Gator2000

Go Gators!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/23/05 01:12 PM »

Sometimes its so loud, I've had passengers ask me if I was sure the tailgate was closed  banghead

2002, Summit White, 1500, 4X4, Custom Painted Cladding, Custom Painted Interior, 20" Chrome Panther Realms, Chrome handles, White GM Bug Shield, Billet Interior Accessories.

psuduo

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/23/05 02:38 PM »

Where in Pa. do you live ,I got same problem and more.I'm in lemon process now.I had GM engineer go for a ride and he said all GM trucks do this.Well I had enough lies.

Schuylkill County, PA, specifically New Ringgold, PA...not too far from Jim Thorpe
ACE Z71

Ava nice day!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/23/05 02:45 PM »

Know it well, run down to Reading and Leesport allot.
« Last Edit: 03/23/05 02:47 PM by ACE Z71 » Logged
tnbezel
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

AZZ LIFT

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/23/05 10:56 PM »

You got a V8 baby Cool

03 WBH Light Pewter metallic Chrome Escalade handles color matched including the tailgate handle & bezel Painted Rear plastic including the bed covers Painted to match Tahoe Z71 bumper Custom tailgate legal tinted windows Amber DRLs SilverStars Factory SS front fascia 20x8.5 Chrome SS Wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagles GTII 285/50R20 Chrome SS Emblems Avalanche decals 8"Antenna Corsa Sport exhaust Volant cold air intake w/ ram air JET Performance Tune 180 degree thermostat
sperry
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 03/23/05 11:47 PM »

Document ID# 1430424
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - 4WD

Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise #01-07-30-042B - (Jan 16, 2004)

2004 and Prior Light Duty Trucks

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

with 4L60E or 4L65E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-042A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or a 3-2 downshift.

During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on a 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.

This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

BULL! If it's "normal" why is it my 03 Z71 doesn't do it? Anyone else?

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
tnbezel

AZZ LIFT

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 03/24/05 09:49 AM »

Thanks for that bulletin sperry thumbs_up I thought my transmission was about to fall out. I hear the clunk when I'm cruising and it shifts from 2 to 3. I don't hear it on a down shift. When I'm hard accelerating I don't hear it at all.

03 WBH Light Pewter metallic Chrome Escalade handles color matched including the tailgate handle & bezel Painted Rear plastic including the bed covers Painted to match Tahoe Z71 bumper Custom tailgate legal tinted windows Amber DRLs SilverStars Factory SS front fascia 20x8.5 Chrome SS Wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagles GTII 285/50R20 Chrome SS Emblems Avalanche decals 8"Antenna Corsa Sport exhaust Volant cold air intake w/ ram air JET Performance Tune 180 degree thermostat
txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 03/25/05 07:46 AM »

Mine does it (always has) on the downshift and I HATE IT! veryangry I've never been sure if it was the tranny or something with that freakin' G80 locker! Hate that too. veryveryangry

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06-- : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
psuduo

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 03/25/05 01:04 PM »

Anyone up for another noise?  What about a thump noise when you come to a complete stop?  This noise occurs slightly after the complete stop and usually is louder when you stop rapidly.  This happens to me especially when I need to stop quick for a yellow light that I can't run in time.
Bob in PA
 chevy

PS - For Mr. Jim Thorpe, let me know when you are on the way through New Ringgold, maybe we can get together.
sperry
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

I'll be right down...

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 03/25/05 01:35 PM »

See if there's a reprogram update for the trans..

------------------------
txyank1

Maybe look into that locker. Mine's working normal and so should your's of course.

I checked it out on some black ice in an empty parking lot. Bam! And released when it was supposed to.

Any of these?

Symptom List:

•    Locking Rear Axle Does Not Lock
   •    Locking Rear Axle Locks in Turns
   •    Limited Slip Differential Chatters in Turns
   •    Locking Rear Drive Axle Chatters in Turns
   •    Noise in Addition to Normal Clutch Engagement
------------------------

’03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIO’d Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7” 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.
tnbezel

AZZ LIFT

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 03/26/05 09:59 AM »

Anyone up for another noise?  What about a thump noise when you come to a complete stop?  This noise occurs slightly after the complete stop and usually is louder when you stop rapidly.  This happens to me especially when I need to stop quick for a yellow light that I can't run in time.
Bob in PA
 chevy

PS - For Mr. Jim Thorpe, let me know when you are on the way through New Ringgold, maybe we can get together.

Mine does that too, but it would stop after awhile.

John CentralSQ, NY

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 03/27/05 12:05 PM »

I've been hearing a light clunk when upshifting about 18 mph for 42K miles now.  Dealer / mechanic took it home for the night and said he didn't hear any clunks.

2002   White 1500 No Mods, No options except Z-71
Main One

I've got Yellow Fever!

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 03/27/05 07:24 PM »

Sounds like a noise I have.  It doesn't bother me, but the wife has commented about it.

Fastest AV at Bowling Green GTG - 88.76 mph
Quickest 1/2 ton AV at Bowling Green GTG - 15.914 sec ET
Reaction Time - Don't Ask!!!
Bowling Green GTG Texas Hold'em Champion!
txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 03/28/05 10:16 AM »

Bob in PA
 chevy

That would be the beer keg in the back.

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06-- : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: