• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TSB's - Interior

sperry

Silent Avalanche RIP
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
2003-2005 Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Programming IPC/Trip A or B Displayed/Clicking Noise From IPC/Gauge Needle Sticking

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a clicking noise coming from the I/P cluster or gauge needle sticking. Also reports of the DIC displaying Trip A or Trip B on 2003 or 2004 vehicles after an replacement IPC is installed.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Root cause appears to be the stepper motor in the cluster. Due to the magnitude of this concern, certain I/P clusters are now on backorder and the electronic service centers can not meet the demand for new/or remanufactured clusters. Enhancements have been made to the stepper motors and IP clusters. The supplier has made available a significant number of replacement clusters to address the back order condition. These clusters include improvements to internal rotors and a new motor design which will address concerns with noise and gages. The Electronic Service Centers (ESC) should be able to address dealer orders going forward as a result of better communication with the supplier. Until backorder situation is completely resolved, most replacement IPC clusters will be 2005 model year part numbers.

New Calibration to service 2003 and 2004 MY vehicles with 2005 clusters.

Attention: Very Important Note to dealership personnel: Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious, irreparable damage to the new Instrument Panel Cluster part.

If you are provided with a 2005 MY Instrument Panel Cluster part to install in a 2003 or 2004 MY full-size pickup or utility vehicle, a special procedure may be necessary to properly program the IPC with the correct software set.

1. The first step will be to read and record the IPC part number from the label on the back of the part.
  2. Install the 2005 MY IPC hardware part in the vehicle.
  3. Use the Tech 2 SPS application to "request info." from the vehicle. Verify the correct VIN is displayed for the vehicle, and follow the screen instructions to take the Tech 2 and connect it to the TIS (Techline PC) terminal.

Note: Enhancements have been made to the SPS application in the TIS2000 version 3.0 that should eliminate the need for selecting an 8 digit GM IPC Hardware part number from the list. However, if the drop-down list is displayed, follow the instructions in Step 4 below.

4. If during the IPC programming file selection procedure a drop down window is displayed, select the IPC 8 digit GM part number that was recorded from the IPC part label from the drop down list. This will ensure that the IPC module is programmed with the correct software file set for the 2005 MY IPC part in either a 2003 or 2004 MY vehicle. If the 8 digit GM part number that was recorded earlier from the IPC label is not available for selection in the pull down list, then you must call the Techline Customer Support Center for programming assistance to obtain the correct software set for the 2005 MY Instrument Panel Cluster part.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Models:

(2003-2005 Chevrolet All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (2003-2005 GMC All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (2003-2005 Cadillac All Full Size Utilities)

Info - Global Position Sensor (GPS) Performance Degradation #00-08-46-003B - (Feb 9, 2005)

Global Position Sensor (GPS) Performance Degradation

1996-2005 Passenger Cars and Trucks

2003-2005 HUMMER H2

2002-2005 Saturn Vehicles

with Navigation Systems and/or OnStar?

This bulletin is being revised to include additional information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-46-003A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Navigation and OnStar? systems require a GPS antenna in order to function properly. This antenna may be located inside the vehicle. If the GPS antenna is located inside the vehicle, performance of the system may be compromised by window tinting film.

If the GPS system performance is in question and the vehicle has window tinting, a quick diagnostic check can be made by temporarily moving the GPS antenna to an external vehicle surface, such as the decklid or roof. If the GPS function of the navigation or OnStar? system operates normally with the antenna relocated , the repair would not be considered a warranty repair. The subsequent repair procedure or GPS placement would be up to the customer.

Some vehicles have the GPS antenna located on the rear window shelf. Objects placed on the rear window shelf, such as tissue boxes, books, dolls, etc., also have the potential to interfere with GPS performance.

Warranty Information

Repairs made to the vehicle navigation and/or OnStar? system, which are the result of window tinting, are not considered warranty repairs.

Back