• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Steering Wheel Clunk, Pop?

ultravorx

hey, whats up guys, got a problem here. When i turn my steering wheel, to the left or right, i get a poping/clunking noise from the steering column :6:, i know its not the axels or anything like that, it feels as if the whole column is coming loose :cry:, any ideas, i have an apointment for wed, but it would be good to have a heads up on whats wrong.
Frank

Did you get your problem fixed? Seems there is a problem with the design of the steering column and GM has a kit that the dealer can install that will solve your problem.........Had mine done and it fixed the clunking/popping.

No, none of the dealers I've been have been able to fix the issue. Im still waiting patiently for GM corporate to call me with a dealership to go to. I've left them voicemail and called several time, but no luck or returned calls.
Frank :cry:

There is a TSB about the problem and a kit you can get to apply the special grease to the intermediate section of the steering column shaft - the kit is cheap and the job is simple - I have done it on my wifes 01 Suburban - however you must be very carefull as the steering wheel must be locked in place when doing this service with a steering wheel lock bar - if the wheel rotates too many times it will break the clock spring for the SRS (air bag, horn - wiring) You should ask the dealer about this Campaign as it should be performed at no charge. I would let a dealer do this or you can drive to Texas and I will do it for ya. ;)

Even with greasing, if the midshaft is worn out you will still get the noises.  Mine was greased but still had the rattling and popping when going slow turning mostly to the right.  Just had a new midshaft installed and problem solved!

Talk about waking up the dead.......this thread was from 2003 so except from the two posts above this thread is 13 years old...... :laugh:

Vaeagleav said:
Talk about waking up the dead.......this thread was from 2003 so except from the two posts above this thread is 13 years old...... :laugh:

Missing the point.

They are offering fresh perspective to the cranky old men of yesteryear.

Give them a break.

Back