• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

"Clanking" Coming from under my AV???

AvaLance

SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I have noticed this for a while but it is getting loader.  When my AV is moving there is a "Clanking" noise that comes from under the truck when I slow down it does when I speed up it does.  It almost sounds like it could be somthing to do with the Driveshaft?  Could a U-Joint make this noise?  I have 119,000 miles on my AV and nothing has been done to the driveshaft?  Any answers would help!

I have always had a clanking underneath my AV, but it is when going at slow to moderate speed over bumps, particularly noticeable when on a brick or cobblestone road, and in front of buildings to bounce sound back.  Otherwise it isn't too noticeable.

You sure it's not something clanking when bumping?

CLANK?  like matal posts hitting one another?

most of the time u joints going bad make a grinding growling type noise....

Maybe something hanging down and hitting driveshaft?  but at highway speeds would be very fast paced....?

More description on sound and location....

I suggest crawling under and looking for loose objects...

I was talking to a fellow AV owner and he had simular problem it turned out to be his front wheel baring hubs

AvaLance said:
I was talking to a fellow AV owner and he had simular problem it turned out to be his front wheel baring hubs

get that truck on a lift and start checking some things out....hehehe

Well I just picked up my AV lucky I took it in when I did 100 miles more and I would have to replace a drive line.  The front U-Joint was bad I mean about ready to shadder it was dry as could be.  $124.00 later no more clanking (y)

RichUF said:
I have always had a clanking underneath my AV, but it is when going at slow to moderate speed over bumps, particularly noticeable when on a brick or cobblestone road, and in front of buildings to bounce sound back. Otherwise it isn't too noticeable.

You sure it's not something clanking when bumping?

I HAD THIS TOO!  I always thought it was due to the work done for prototyping the Road Armor front bumper.  I had my front end torn off and put back on about five times over a two week period and then even had to do some torch work (ACK).  I had always assumed in my case that they didn't put things back together quite right, or possibly cut a backet, support that was important and I decided I'd just live it.  For the record no cutting required on a Road Armor install - this was only during prototyping to get the various bits to fit and then modify so it was right for the rest of the world.

Anyway the noise you describe is EXACTLY what I had -- my guess now is it is a heat shield or possibly one of the skid plates.  I'll never know the answer...

Most factory U-Joints come without a grease fitting, and wear out.  Make sure the replacements do have the fitting and are greased regularly, and you'll probably not need to replace them again. 

I am having  a simular problem with a clanking noise under my truck especially when turning. I checked under my truck to day and discovered that it had a worn rubber bushing on the support for the driver side torsion bar, I was able to use my hands and rock this support on the left side but not the right indicating a worn bushing.
I hope this will solve mine

Same thing here Buddy, U-joints. They were dry and stripped. I also would of neede a new drivetrain at 60,000 miles if I didn't get it fixed.

Back