• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

4x4 Sound!

T

tahoe_1

While driving home from the dealer, I noticed a tire noise like sound. The sound was consistent with the speed I drove, the faster the speed the faster the sound, the slower the speed the slower the sound got. It sound like it was coming from my driver's side front tire. I put the AV into 4hi the noise still there, I checked to make sure 4lo worked and it did. I then put the AV into Autotrac and the noise disappered.
I told the dealer and they said let the truck break in! Is this a normal sound others with the 1500 Z71 have experianced?

It's not a flapping sound is it?

do you have a bug shield?

I know that I'm a late bloomer of engaging my 4wd (4k miles), but after reading this I decided to do some testing last evening. I realize that there will be more noise from up-front, but on auto 4wd or 4wd hi, at speeds above 20 mph, it sounds like there's another truck up front. How much noise is too much noise and should I get this checked?

TIA!

In auto on dry pavement, you shouldn't notice anything as the system shouldn't engage. You shouldn't be on dry pavement in 4hi to begin with at any speed as you'll prematurely wear out the 4wd drivetrain elements. While in the deep snow a few weeks back, I was in 4hi and all I was hearing was the front end drivetrain. Sure it's a bit noisy, but you are hearing both the transfer case and the front diff. I can hear it with the windows up but it's certainly not overbearingly loud.

Jamie

I think jamie hit the nail on the head with his post. AJ

Right. It was raining hard when I first put it into Auto, but because of the noise, I ran it in Auto after the rain stopped (streets still wet), to eliminate the rain noise. The roaring noise up front was still there. I tested the 4hi mode like Ahnuld did here. Same wet streets and just a straight line. Still roaring.

I've got a couple of other things for service, so I'll add that to the list and make an appointment soon (the dealership's 45 min. away.)

Thanks guys. :B:

Well, it looks like you've experianced my awd whining problem. GM says its normal!! Lets here your opinion if it should be normal on a $40k truck
FRank

Back