• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Does the Z71 have a different size gas tank?

Black03Avalanche

Does anyone know if the Z-71 has a bigger gas tank? I have an 03 Z-71 (1500)and my husband has an 02 1500.  When hes on E, hes still been able to fill up his gas tank before hiutting the $50 cutoff on most tanks(and may I say those are VERY annoying) But I was down at quarter of a tank and I couldn't fill up before it shut me off.  We filled up right around the same time so it wasnt price differences and the trcuk has been home for a little bit and no change so I know it shouldn't be an issue like a leak or anything.  I checked Chevy's website and couldn't find anything.

Same tank.
2003 1500 31 Gals. Owners manual 5-105 (capacities)
2003 2500 37.5 Gals. Owners manual 5-105 (capacities)
2002 1500/2500 31 Gals. Owners manual 6-72 (capacities)

Difference is in your fuel gauge, actually the sending unit in the tank, reading the fuel level.  The tank is shaped so that the last 1/4 of a tank goes down very fast.

BTW 2 AV family  :cool:

Ginman, not sure if I was reading you post correctly , but if I was , there is an error. The 2500's ,all years, have the larger tank. I just had a $75.00 fillup in mine. I wonder what my  roundtrip gas bill will be for this GTG?!

OviedoAV said:
Ginman, not sure if I was reading you post correctly , but if I was , there is an error. The 2500's ,all years, have the larger tank. I just had a $75.00 fillup in mine. I wonder what my? roundtrip gas bill will be for this GTG?!
I realize you would know about the 2500's, as ya own 2 of them...I was just going by what I saw in the owner's manual 2002 pg 6-72 says 1500/2500 31 Gals.  I'm sure that is wrong...didn't seem correct.

My real point is 1500s Z-71,Z-66, or base all have 31 gals.  2500s being larger 37.5 gals.

I am not toooooooo kean on this GALLONS thing, but HERE in CANADA, the size is

117 Litres for the 1500
and 140 Litres ( I think thats right) for the 2500

OK, now we need to go metric ??? and really confuse this poor Connecticut Av'er.  :love:

melbertbloosfan said:
???

What the 'eck is the "$50 cutoff" thing? You mean the gas pump shuts down when it reaches $50? Never heard of such a thing.

Many stations will pre-authorize a credit card at the pump for $50 only.  For those of us with larger, thirstier tanks, this often means having to process our card twice just to fill the tank.

I've been enduring this issue for over a year and a half, and complaints to the station have resulted in no change.  Even $60 would have been fine, as up until recently that covered me.  Yesterday was $65 for a fillup.

DougD said:
melbertbloosfan said:
???

What the 'eck is the "$50 cutoff" thing? You mean the gas pump shuts down when it reaches $50? Never heard of such a thing.

Many stations will pre-authorize a credit card at the pump for $50 only.? For those of us with larger, thirstier tanks, this often means having to process our card twice just to fill the tank.

I've been enduring this issue for over a year and a half, and complaints to the station have resulted in no change.? Even $60 would have been fine, as up until recently that covered me.? Yesterday was $65 for a fillup.

$65 U.S. = approx. $80 Canadian!!

YOU GUYS are getting of lightly!! My last refueling, on saturday past, I put $90 Canadian of REGULAR 87 Octane, and the truck was STILL only down to a quarter of a tank when I did it!! :E:

melbertbloosfan said:
???

What the 'eck is the "$50 cutoff" thing?? ?You mean the gas pump shuts down when it reaches $50?? ?Never heard of such a thing.

I've had this before randomly a few times and I ran into this driving to Bowlng Green. It was an 850 mile trip, should have been one stop for gas but turned out to be 2 cause I could only put 21 gallons in at my first stop for gas (hit $50). Second stop I was able to fill up completely.

David

Well, well.  Must be a right/left coast kinda thing.
Taking the Av to San Antonio this summer, so I'll see if I run into this on the way.  I hope not.
Sometimes it's good to live in the bassackwards middle.  :D
Filled up last nite, put 19 gallons in @ 2.059 per.  Got off cheap. :3:

slick said:
Just fill up more often.

Because every stop turns out rather Griswold-esque:
1. Wife with worlds smallest bladder.
2.  Kids - 4 and 6.  'Nuff said.

Fewer stops = better time = less time for spills, rips, scuffs, triple murder/suicides, etc....

:7: :7: :7:

melbertbloosfan said:
slick said:
Just fill up more often.

Because every stop turns out rather Griswold-esque:
1. Wife with worlds smallest bladder.
2.? Kids - 4 and 6.? ?'Nuff said.

Fewer stops = better time = less time for spills, rips, scuffs, triple murder/suicides, etc....

:7: :7: :7:

Obviously an OPTIMIST!!  ;D

The $50 shut-off thing is REALLY annoying? :mad: and happens at many stations around here.? Have recently noticed that some of the offending stations have raised to $60, presumably b/c of rising gas prices.

What I don't understand is a real reason as to why they do this, particularly since they pre-auth the cards.? If I want to get $200 worth of fuel, and have the credit to do so, why not??

Anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why they may do this?

RichUF said:
The $50 shut-off thing is REALLY annoying  :mad: and happens at many stations around here.  Have recently noticed that some of the offending stations have raised to $60, presumably b/c of rising gas prices.

What I don't understand is a real reason as to why they do this, particularly since they pre-auth the cards.  If I want to get $200 worth of fuel, and have the credit to do so, why not? 

Anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why they may do this?

People buy gas with stolen credit cards and this gives them some limit of theft?

Limit is there incase of pump/nozzle failure to prevent large gas spills...even though $50 worth of gas even at $3 a gallon is a lot of gas...

$2.06 a gallon  :eek:  that was so long ago i barely remember it.  Still holding strong at under $4.00 here ($3.89) in Bismarck, North Dakota :D.  I wish i could see into the future and see what prices will be like in 5, 10, or 15 years.

Back