• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

gas mileage

mytyace

my wife and i are looking at the 05 avalanche without the clading and i was wondering if any one has any real world gas mileage numbers. thanks in advance for any help you can give a newbe. :B:

wel_smilie.gif
mityace!

With my 03 4X4 I get an open road average of 21.8 (Best). The 05 should do better yet in those conditions; especially if it's a 2WD!

The catch is driving at 60.. So, I just get to enjoy the truck a bit more on those trips!

It really depends on several factors:

4wd vs 2wd
gear ratio 3.42 vs 4.1
Luck

My '03 Z71 4wd 3.73 rear averaged 15-16 on the highway and 13.5 on a tankfull (mix city/highway) 

I would figure on the low end and if you get better mileage consider it a bonus.

Ed

50/50 mix driving - 16.5 mpg (summer gas formulation) with 3.73 gears and 2WD.

Unless you are really (lucky) you are probably going to end up with the 3.42 gears in your '05.  I would imagine you should be able to pull 17 and change (2WD).  Keep'er under 2500 rpm when accelerating,  put in a K&N filter and you might hit 18. 
Just my $.02

Welcomen!

I personally just 2 weeks ago went on a road trip, with about 350 miles each way.  Admittingly I do have an intake system and exhaust (cat back) system installed.  But I do also have 33" tires.  However I averaged 16.9 miles on the highway at an average speed of 67 MPH.  I was quite pleased with that as my around town mileage seems to be about 11-12 MPG.

My 04 Z66 for the firts 13,000 miles.  These are the real numbers not the DIC.  I live in Houston, mostly city driving.

Low High Average
11.2 20.8 15.8

Jim

2004 ,2 WD 1500, 5.3L 3.73 gears.

I have been averaging 18 MPG a tank daily driving to/from work 60 % Hwy/40% around town. All is in a fair amount of traffic.  I'm pretty happy with it.

Welcome to the club!

16.5 rural ? 19 highway ?w/3.73 gear, K&N drop-in and FM-40

I'm also seeing a decent jump with the Predator 91 Octane Tune. ?Only had it for a few days, though.

If you were considering the 2500 with the 8.1, my 2003 2WD (yes, 2WD) with the 3.73 rear gets 12 city, 14 highway, 7 towing 8000 lbs.  However, I learned that if I drafted with semi's while towing, I can get back over 10 mpg.  Good luck with whatever you get.  Most of us didn't by the AV for the fuel economy.

One other tip I found out recently is to fold the mirrors back out on the hwy.  Actually noticed an improvement... a small improvement but it does seem to help some.

GOSH either you guys drive real slow or there is no stop and go traffic in your towns am I only the only guy  getting 10.9 on the average meter? :( I dont think I step on it too much

I've got 3800 miles on my 05 Z71 package, 4.10 and am currently averaging 13.7 mpg.  Approximately 6oo are highway miles, the balance stop and go city driving.  My 02 did slightly better but had a higher ratio of highway miles on it. 

hansenp said:
GOSH either you guys drive real slow or there is no stop and go traffic in your towns am I only the only guy? getting 10.9 on the average meter? :( I dont think I step on it too much

Good lord!  I know that the Av don't exactly drink like a bird, but 10.9 avg. MPG seems kinda low, even for an Av with oversized tires.  Tell me that the 10.9 MPG is the avg. MPG overall, and not the avg. MPG on trip meter.

I know that a lot of us use the truck for camping and such where we leave the motor running to keep the battery charged while listening to the radio or to use other accesorries.  Yes, this will make a bit more sense to me if you are using the overall MPG vs. what shows up on your trip meter.

And I thought that my 11-12 MPG was bad around town with lots of stop and go traffic.  I wouldn't expect that 10.9 MPG's unless I was delivering pizza's in my Av.  LOL

But like we all knew before buying our Av's, if we wanted gas mileage, we would have bought rice burners!

Maxx6Av  :B:

I just bought a black 05 w/out cladding.  I get 630 miles to the tank now on highway.  My average is 17.5 miles per gallan though.  Remember to always use the lowest grade octane though.  That's what's recommended

hansenp said:
GOSH either you guys drive real slow or there is no stop and go traffic in your towns am I only the only guy? getting 10.9 on the average meter? :( I dont think I step on it too much

Slow isn't the culprit (your best gas mileage is about 55-60mph).  It is all the stop and go though.  I happen to only live 5 miles from work and my top speed is barely 40 mph (and that's speeding in a 30 zone).  I am pretty easy on the accel, but I'm not slow.  And I use to live in LA where the stop and go is on the freeway!

If you buy one, whatever you do, don't put a K&N filter on it.  My 2003 Z71 was getting 17city and 20 highway.  With the K&N, 11 city and 14 highway.  I removed the K&N, and now my mileage is 15 city and 17.5 highway.

The Lowest quality octane we can buy here in the netherlands is 95!

and my 2003 uses 17,5 L per 100KM that's what the computer is telling me ! but realistic is about 18,5 L per 100

For your mile people  1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters and a mile is 1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers so when my maths is ago it would be 12.71 miles on a Gallon

I just dropped in a K & N so will see what will be the differends!!

Back