• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OnStar Digital Upgrade for 03 & 04 NOW Available!

sperry

Silent Avalanche RIP
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
OnStar to cease analog operation after 12-31-2007!

-------------------------------------------​

GM Document ID# 1638038​

"Information on Upgrading Certain OnStar Generation 5 Analog/Digital-Ready Systems to OnStar Generation 6 Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital) #05-08-46-006 - (Mar 24, 2005)

2003-2004 Buick Rendezvous

2004 Buick Rainier

2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade Models

2005 Cadillac SRX

2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2004 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer Models

2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models

2004 GMC Canyon, Envoy Models

2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2003-2004 Pontiac Aztek

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

2003-2004 HUMMER H2

This program is only available to dealers located in the United States. Canadian dealers will not be able to order upgrade kits at this time.

This bulletin is being issued to provide dealer personnel with information and procedures to follow should an owner wish to upgrade their OnStar? Generation 5 analog/digital-ready system to an OnStar? Generation 6 Dual-mode (analog/digital) system.

Service Procedure

Customers who wish to upgrade their vehicle to an OnStar? Generation 6 Dual-mode (analog/digital) system will be required to purchase a 3-year, non-refundable, subscription to OnStar?. If they agree to this, they will be eligible for an upgrade, which will be provided to them at no additional cost. This program will be available beginning on March 29, 2005.

Important:: If the customer sells their upgraded vehicle prior to the end of the 3-year subscription, any unused whole months of their subscription can be transferred to their next OnStar?-equipped General Motors vehicle.

Important:: The new Dual-mode (analog/digital) OnStar Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) that will be installed into the customer's vehicle, as part of this upgrade, will have a new telephone number assigned to it. There is no way to transfer the customer's current telephone number to the new system.

Important:: Only vehicles listed in this bulletin will be eligible for the Digital-upgrade program. Other vehicles are being studied for possible inclusion into the Digital-upgrade program and may be added at a later date. You may also determine vehicle upgradeability by typing the VIN into the appropriate field on www.onstarenrollment.com.

Technicians are to install the OnStar? Digital-upgrade kit using the following procedure:

1. If the customer's vehicle is listed in this bulletin, and they have agreed to sign up for a 3-year, non-refundable subscription to OnStar?, an upgrade kit can be ordered by calling the distributor, Autocraft, at 1-888-947-8100. Upgrade kits will be shipped out within 24 hours and a pre-paid return package label will be included for returning the customer's Generation 5 VCIM. By returning the customer's original VCIM, you will avoid a significant non-return core charge. Refer to the Parts Information table below to determine which OnStar? upgrade kit to order.
  2. Once the kit has been received, remove and discard any existing OnStar? Owner's Manuals in the customer's Instrument Panel Compartment. Place the new OnStar? Owner's Manuals from the upgrade kit in the customer's Instrument Panel Compartment.
  3. Unscrew the existing analog OnStar? antenna mast from the antenna base and discard. Screw in the provided analog/digital OnStar? antenna mast into the antenna base. This step only applies to the following 2003 model year vehicles (skip to step 4 if the vehicle to be upgraded is not listed below).
        - 2003 Buick Rendezvous
        - 2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
        - 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
        - 2003 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
        - 2003 HUMMER H2
        - 2003 Pontiac Aztek
  4. Replace the OnStar? VCIM in the vehicle with the provided analog/digital VCIM. Refer to the Communication Interface Module Replacement procedure in the Cellular Communication section of SI. As SI states, the appropriate steps to reconfigure the new OnStar? VCIM are as follows:
        - Press the blue OnStar? button to connect to the OnStar? call center.
        - Tell the advisor that this vehicle has received a new VCIM.
        - Ask the advisor to add the new Station Identification (STID) and Electronic Serial Number (ESN) to update the customer's account.
        - Follow any additional instructions from the OnStar? advisor.
        - Ask the advisor to activate the OnStar? Personal Calling feature , if available.

Important:: Please note that the OPC functionality will not be available until the following day.

- Ask to be transferred to the OnStar? Dealer Center (ODC). If you are disconnected, call the ODC at 1-888-ONSTAR-1 (1-888-667-8271). Request that a 3-year Analog-to-Digital Transition (ADT) upgrade package be applied to the customer's account. All upgrade packages are dealer prepaid. The dealer's open account will be charged for the cost of the package plus any applicable taxes. The three Digital-upgrade packages that are available are:
              ? 3-year Safety and Security (S&S) ADT package
              ? 3-year Directions and Connections (D&C) ADT package
              ? 3-year Luxury and Leisure (L&L) ADT package

Important:: As SI states, YOU MUST REMEMBER TO RECONFIGURE THE NEW MODULE WITH AN ONSTAR ADVISOR TO COMPLETE THIS REPAIR. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN COMEBACKS AND CHARGEBACKS. In addition, pressing and holding the white dot button on the keypad will NOT reconfigure the OnStar? system. This action will cause a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) to set.

5. Have the Service Advisor, Service Manager or Sales Consultant review the new OnStar Personal Calling (OPC) procedure with the customer. The customer is used to their Generation 5 analog/digital-- ready OPC system, which uses individual digit dial to make a call. Generation 6 Dual-mode (analog/digital) uses continuous digit dial, and the customer needs to be made aware of this change.
  6. Give the "OnStar Generation 6 Dual-Mode analog/digital Tip Sheet" to your customer. This tip sheet will help your customer better understand their new OnStar? system.
  7. Have the customer sign the form that is titled "Terms and Conditions of Your OnStar Service". Fax this form to 313-665-0485 and give a copy to the customer. You may also like to keep a copy for your records.
  8. Collect payment from the customer. Your dealership will be charged for the upgrade package, so you must collect payment from your customer. The prices for the three upgrade packages are as follows:
        - 3-year Safety and Security (S&S) ADT package. $549 plus tax (if applicable)
        - 3-year Directions and Connections (D&C) ADT package. $1099 plus tax (if applicable)
        - 3-year Luxury and Leisure (L&L) ADT package. $2159 plus tax (if applicable)
  9. Use labor code Z2096 to submit your claim for the labor time published below plus 0.2 hr Administrative Allowance and an additional $20.00 Net Amount.. For claim submission, use Complaint Code MH -- Technical Bulletin, and Failure Code 93 -- Technical Service Bulletin."

Great find...
Am I reading this right, if I sign up for 3 years ... the upgrade is free?
Is there a feature list for the gen 6....ie what does the gen 6 have that 5 didn't?
Thanks,
Damon

It's in one of the GM techlink articles.. I would have to look for it the same as you..

Info is no doubt all over on this..

Anyway, you would qualify for the (separate) Verizon cellphone combined package, "Digit Dial", and better voice recognition for a few features thought of.

The upgrade is nice but it just seems like another way onstar is getting more money out of us. You should get the upgrade with just one years renewal. I hate companies that put the squeeze on the consumer for new technology

Havalanche

Havalanche said:
The upgrade is nice but it just seems like another way onstar is getting more money out of us. You should get the upgrade with just one years renewal. I hate companies that put the squeeze on the consumer for new technology

Havalanche

That's what I think    I'd rather have GPS and a cell phone

Thier way to collect $ for the new VCIM, Likely they will sell you one but at the price of that 3-year term.

Note that the FCC decision was not a mandate that they change, it was the cellphone companies that petitioned them to allow the technology change in that spectrum. So, the FCC is a "permission" to do just that. A lot more digital traffic will fit within the AMPS spectrum than the analog, so the company's will certainly follow suit.

OnStar chose analog originally, due to it's established penetration/coverage. The digital technology will equal and likely exceed this as they will occupy where analog-only existed, in a very short time.
This is not to be confused with the sites that have combined systems. Although the capacity will increase.

-----------

05BLACKZ71AV said:
Does the 2005 already have this Gen 6 Onstar?

You allready have the hardware! V6.2, If I remember correctly.

Sperry:

You Rock - thanks man!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I was looking for it in the wrong places, then I remembered that one.... You know the story...

Now almost three weeks after they post it... :2: :E:

The "roaming" of the Vorizen plan doesn't sound so good to me.. It apparently affects the OnStar service as well as the hand-held!

If I'm traveling, like the OnStar plan as it is now, you just use your units. If you use the cellphone plan, different roaming charges apply. :E:

I'll still consider changing the hardware, since the voice recognition in my VCIM suks.

sperry said:
The "roaming" of the Vorizen plan doesn't sound so good to me.. It apparently affects the OnStar service as well as the hand-held!

If I'm traveling, like the OnStar plan as it is now, you just use your units. If you use the cellphone plan, different roaming charges apply. :E:

I'll still consider changing the hardware, since the voice recognition in my VCIM suks.

Sperry:

Thanks for the comments.

Help educate me on the roaming difference. - what do you mean. (I know what roaming is, but, specifically what changes?)

I am upgrading my OnStar system, I just re-up for two years with OnStar a few weeks ago.? They said they will credit, and give me the 3 year plan so I qualify for the "free" equipment".

Sperry, thanks for the information! I had called OnStar a couple weeks back because I wanted clarification about what "analog/digital ready" meant. "Digital ready" really means, "Your non-digital VCIM is READY to be ripped out and replaced with an entirely different VCIM module, and your account needs to then be switched over to the new VCIMs ESN and STID."? ROFL!! Interesting definition of ready.

In answer to the questions, yes the upgrade is 100% free with purchase of the 3 year Safe and Sound package (or better). It's interesting that they are doing it this way - basically having the dealers warranty out the old VCIMs, install the new ones, and then the DEALER is responsible for collecting the subscription money. GM/OnStar then is billing the dealer's open account for the subscription. (as you can see above) Something like this has never been done before - the dealer's didn't get involved in OnStar money.

Also, SpottyJ - thanks for posting this info to www.onstarforum.com - I appreciate it. I've been so busy with work, school and wedding plans I haven't been out advertising my site at all - but I know that it will be useful once I get some membership and get people talking.

The upgrade will be interesting for me because it's not factory installed - I will have to wait for the 04 Impalas to come up on the list as elligible and then head over to the dealership and explain the whole mess. I might just scratch that idea and get over to my favorite junkyard to find an 05 with v.6 hardware and upgrade myself. ;-)

Uh oh.. and wait 'till I have to upgrade my 96 Beretta!! I bet OnStar just LOVES "Do-It-Yourselfers" like me.? ;D

danlwil2500 said:
Havalanche said:

That's what I think? ? I'd rather have GPS and a cell phone

I can understand that line of thinking 100% - I don't feel like coughing up the money for 3 years worth of OnStar upfront myself. It isn't for everyone, and the beauty of the system is that it doesn't HAVE to be for everyone. If nothing else, it's a selling point for your truck if you wanted to get rid of it. The more buttons, the merrier. Like XM radio. I'm sure some GM owners with factory XM don't see the value and don't want to pay for it. Well, fine. Then don't activate it. Later on if you trade the car in, someone else may want to get it going.

HOWEVER- some of the people who swear by OnStar are the folks who've had their butts saved. It's that ONE day where you are late for an important job interview and lock your keys in your car... or you get in a bad accident and your cell phone goes flying. Or your wife is driving the truck when it breaks down and she doesn't know what to do. Ya know? Some people see the value, others will shrug and say "I can take care of myself"  I'm a gadget guy and I think it's a neat system.

After looking at the Vorizen deal, I may not jump in on that part after all. But, since I can't get them to agree on the lousy voice recognition of my Gen5, as well as the crappy performance, I hope this correct's at least that.

With the link above ( http://www.onstarenrollment.com ), Mine came up with this:

Enter your VIN on the left of the above linked page, not the dealer's form! :2:

Attachments

• OnStarU-G_Available.gif
    OnStarU-G_Available.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,004
SpottyJ said:
sperry said:

Sperry:

Thanks for the comments.

Help educate me on the roaming difference. - what do you mean. (I know what roaming is, but, specifically what changes?)

I am upgrading my OnStar system, I just re-up for two years with OnStar a few weeks ago.  They said they will credit, and give me the 3 year plan so I qualify for the "free" equipment".

The plan..

Reading Vorizen's plan, they have the typical roaming and non-roaming areas. With a plan at that price? With OnStar's, it's just units.

I'm still a bit confused but at least it's supposedly changable within your 3-year contract..

I just don't like the monthly bills. So I went to annual with OnStar and refresh the larger 12-mo pkg with a ssmaller pkg, so I don't lose the minutes I bought 2 years ago!

Vorizen appears to be monthly only, so I have to call and find out more stuff about it.

At $15.25 per month... I'm willing to sign up again...  actually getting a better system and the service for the same price...Thanks Sperry...

The Verizon  plans are a little much...unless CT stops celllular  use in vehicles...then it may be worth it..

The way mine works is there's more fussin' with it than my portable cellphone!

I hope they fixed the voice recognition to a point that the retry problem is gone..

I spent more time retraining that damn thing that I was just planning to cancel & rip it out. crush it and mail it to them that way! :E: (Since I always received a run-around). Even a friend of mine that's the OnStar guy at my dealer has no real answer to it! Without some sound fault, he can't warranty it. :E:

Well, it's important enough, so, I'll give it another try. But no 3'rd time!

Hang in there, Sperry. I'm going to get the v.6 equipment for my own truck in about a month or two and I'll let you know if she works better. My two problems are:
1) overall frustration with voice recognition
2) unable to connect to OnStar messages from time to time

Look on the bright side, at least your upgrade will be plug n play -- if you had an 02 on the other hand...  :E:

I'm plagued with the first one mostly...

I call my dealer today and as I guessed, they were unaware of it! :E: So I gave them the document # and arranged a tenative schedule on May 10.

They also commented again about the how to's & things I keep finding out before they do... >:D

Units for onstar are way over priced compared to the verizon deal roaming or not roaming.

ONSTAR = 1000 minutes for $300??? That's like $3.33 a minute???

With verizon you get 1000 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, & unlimited In calling from your AV for $79 a month.

You can bump it up two 1500 minutes for $99!

And keep in mind thats your CELL PHONE AND YOUR AV!

My cellphone alone is almost that high!!

Back