• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How Do you Want your Local Chapter?

How organized do you like your local chapter?

• Just occasional GTGs in parking lot.

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • A GTG with a carshow or restraunt involved.

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • Monthly GTG set in advance with various events.

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • Organized monthly meetings with chapter officers and planned events.

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Organized chapter sponsored by local dealership with officers and charity or other events.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • None of the above,just show up at somebody else's event.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Don't care about local chapter just want to drive my AV.

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Vaeagleav

PM 2022
PM 2021
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
SM 2006
SM 2005
Hi folks I was just curious as to how involved and organized most people are in dealing with a local AV club chapter.
Your vote and comments are greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time on this matter! ;D

great poll.... i'll definately be checking back for the results as i'm curious to see what most folks will say...  (y)

I'd like to have Organized monthly meetings with chapter officers and planned events.

But we have None of the above,just show up at somebody else's event

I guess I need to do a better job......

i say keep it informal.  we don't have enough AV's/ interested parties to be formal.  after you get the upper echelon of the chapter established you won't have much left for regular members.  in other words, a bunch of chiefs with no indians.

keep it informal.  if there is something going on, like a carshow perhaps, let us know.  anyone interesed will show up for fun and food at a local restaurant. 

I like them shaken, not stirred...

I really apprecite all the input here! ;D
We only need about 11,000 more replies from the members here. ;D
Thanks and have a great day!

Hummm 27 replies so far and as of today 12,712 members. ???
Hey only 12,685 left to reply! ;D
Guess it won't take too long. :0: ;D

Check out the Connecticut Chapter area...

We are very active and usually get together at the Connecticut Monster Garage a couple of times per week. We get some new members that we have tagged and invite them to these informal gtg's so as not to scare them off with a BIG crowd.

Some members in our area are more active but we get some from NJ, NY, MA and RI at these weekly GTGs...

GMAN

So far we are trying to set up monthly meetings at a dealership but then leaving and having different GTG activities each month. Informal but a little organization so we know what dates GTGs are comming up.
I hope it works for us Virginia folk. (y)

We aren't as particular as your choices. Although I did make a choice, my family enjoys doing anything with the local clubs (I have the honor of being on the borderline between 2 clubs that often join together for GTGs). We are just as likely to go to a formally organized event as we are to go to a spur of the moment "I'm coming through" or a "Hey, we're going here and would anyone like to join?" (I am limited to 3 weekends a month, though, lol) We have met some wonderful people through our club. Even the kids have a wonderful time and are heartbroken when we think we'll have to miss something. I guess you could say we like a little organization, but we are game for almost anything.

I wish you luck in getting your local area going. If we were closer, we'd be there in a heartbeat.

As a Logistics Planner I like for things to be organized but when it comes t the AV a little of all.

If events cannot be put together fast enough I like to meet for a small drive or even a coffee.  When there is time I like to have restraints involved, meet in parking lots to check out everyone?s ride and maybe do some mods.  Car show GTGs are awesome.

The best GTGs are planned well in advance and have a set schedule with lost of activities.

I could tell you how I want my local chapter, but I would have to kill you.? ?:laugh:

Seriously, I'd say organized, professional, respectful 24/7.

Because I'm so UN-organized... an organized club would make me a better member.

Attachments

• Aniblob#3.gif
    Aniblob#3.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 284
  • bbbman1.gif
    bbbman1.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 283
Nice to have some excuse to get together each month.  Sometimes it is okay to just do lunch and parking lot conversation.  Once a quarter or so it is nice to do something a little more involved.  It doesn't need to have officers, prizes, etc.  It just needs to be an excuse to get together with the AVs, visit with some friends and sometimes see an interesting sight. 

--OldVMer

OldVMer said:
Nice to have some excuse to get together each month.? Sometimes it is okay to just do lunch and parking lot conversation.? Once a quarter or so it is nice to do something a little more involved.? It doesn't need to have officers, prizes, etc.? It just needs to be an excuse to get together with the AVs, visit with some friends and sometimes see an interesting sight.?

? --OldVMer

Yeah what OldVMer said!? Exactly!!

We need to do something here in Michigan.? For crying-out-loud Michigan/Detroit is the Automobile capital of the world and what do we Av owners have to show for it? ?:cautious: ???
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? :laugh:
Ooops......my bad...........I think Avalanches are assembled in Mexico.

RoarinRow said:
...Seriously, I'd say organized, professional, respectful...

OldVMer said:
...It doesn't need to have officers, prizes, etc. It just needs to be an excuse to get together with the AVs, visit with some friends and sometimes see an interesting sight.

--OldVMer

Totally agree with the above...

IMHO...

It should always be about the Av...

My charitable involvement/s are personal and not part of my Avalanche Owner Experience...Who, How and Where I give are no ones business...

It should always be non-profit orientated...

I don't need/want a Board of Directors dictating how and where monies come from or about the cost of operating a web site.? If you operate a local chapter it should be out of love for the Avalanche Experience.? If the expense of running a website is a drain or hardship, don't do it...many local chapters operate very well with no local website.? That IMHO is what this site is for anyhow...

It should ALWAYS BE FUN...

Having meetings about this and that (non Avalanche related) topics are a drain on my "fun meter"...

Many local clubs/chapters are very successful because their activities are Avalanche related; more mod parties than you can shake a stick at...
and/or...
GTGs based on interesting places to go to and an Avalanche carAVan to add the excitement of showing off the Avalanche...

Too many Activities can be as harmfull as too few...
I have a life other than the Avalanche...and I want and need the time to have that life also.? If you try to schedule my every free moment...I will quickly loose interest...I want to share with you...but not once a week.? Make me want to come...not feel bad for missing...

Have an agenda that I can plan for...

I love to attend Get Togethers...share and help others do mods to their Avs...show them off...admire your Avalanche...share in the Avalanche Owner Experience...

Plan something nice...in advance...make it include something about the Avalanche specifically and I'll be there...

In closing...there are a lot of folks who miss the mark...

There are a lot that are successful...SoCal & Arizona are examples of groups that pretty much have it right...while I don't agree with ALL of their foundational structure...they come closest to the standard by which others should measure up too...or strive for.?

And to clarify I only mention those 2 clubs because I have personal experience with both.? There are a couple on the East Coast that seem to have their act together as well.

I agree with Cliff? pretty? much 100% on this one? even though he didnt mention the Norcal chapter he  belonged to in the past? ,? but I? ?do agree with him ,? they are both great and I alway enjoy a visit with their chapter.

LoneWolfbd said:
Some organization is nice, monthly organized needings would be too much, quarterly though.....

We found for our local chapter this to be the case as well . Yes there should be a small group to help run the club but people need to remember this is a club NOT a business and once it crosses that line it is pretty hard getting back to being a group of people that love the trucks and enjoy everyones company

PUNISHER said:
i say keep it informal. we don't have enough Av's/ interested parties to be formal. after you get the upper echelon of the chapter established you won't have much left for regular members. in other words, a bunch of chiefs with no Indians.

keep it informal. if there is something going on, like acarshow perhaps, let us know. anyone interested will show up for fun and food at a local restaurant.

I have heard this from a lot of members that Just want to enjoy the club and not worry about club officers , board of director , club by laws. ? It is all just too much for most including I, it should be fun not like punching in the time clock for a days work in the mine . For the main of the club I think the way the club is setup right now is perfect !

We ?have the Steering committee here , The cruise Coordinators on this site that run the local chapters. Not much more needed unless those chapters have websites and even then those run themselves so you only need 1 ?or 2 members for that.

Besides when it is ?kept ?informal more people are able to put input and things together.

I guess it really depends on if you want a ?dictatorship ?run chapter with people you will never ?really ?know ?or a chapter of friends ?and family doing things together and enjoying life and where the Avalanche can ?take us !!!

My .02 I second the second !

In closing make it a club for? the family !!? There are clubs/other avalache sites that are out there that are WAY too? adult orientated , something that I have ALWAYS felt? that it should be kid friendly and? and be? about the trucks? not what? Paris Hilton? wore? last night.? ?There? are plenty of websites out there for that and the Avalanche? Community should not be dragged into it, a? good club should not need this? type of? content? ?/? things to? survive.

~Steve

Avalanche Wolf said:
In closing make it a club for? the family !!? There are clubs/other avalache sites that are out there that are WAY too? adult orientated , something that I have ALWAYS felt? that it should be kid friendly and? and be? about the trucks? not what? Paris Hilton? wore? last night.? ?There? are plenty of websites out there for that and the Avalanche? Community should not be dragged into it, a? good club should not need this? type of? content? ?/? things to? survive.

~Steve

I believe what you are talking about here is website content and not how you want your local chapter to be managed. 

RoarinRow said:
I believe what you are talking about here is website content and not how you want your local chapter to be managed.

Thought it was pretty clear but will try to make it more

Avalanche Wolf said:

~Steve

Since many of the local chapters have their own websites for various reasons , the way their site displays to its members is the way a chapter is run.

This includes events , things what are dicussed wiehter it be in a parking lot at starbucks or on a fourm , pictures posted .? I personally would not want my local chapter to have adult rated events , display adult orientated pictures since most of the time when I attend an event I have my childern with me and if it was I would not be apart of a chapter or club like this since I dont do this just for myself , I do it with my wife and kids so that we can do something together with like minded people.

My kids love seeing Avalanches and the places people take them but if i have to worry about exposing them to something they really shouldnt be seeing at their age weither it be on a website or on a cruise , then I will keep away from that site/chapter/club - which keeps me away from that site/chapter/club as well.?

I guess that is as clear as I can try to make it.

How do I want my local chapter ?? Make it so I that not only I am a member of that chapter but my family is as well.

Here comes the 'drama' from the 'leadership' of Norcal again.? Please start your own thread on how you need a hug because the same guy that you offended and quit your 'club' is the same guy who tagged you, supported the club financially, and initiated GTGs for the club, among many things.

Why even compare my AV site, which is not a local chapter to begin with?? You have to bring someone down with you when someone mentions or describes a structure that is similar to your club structure.? ?As far as I can see, the 'leadership' of Norcal has not changed.? ?

Your true colors are coming out in response to ICHNGE's honest opinion, who also was a member of Norcal that was also banned from the Norcal site after he quit.? Hmmm, what did it say below our avatars, 'This member is banned'.? ?What does that say about the site?? Why would you ban your top posters who supported you the most.? Just because we had opinions that were different from yours?? Please. . .

As far as our website content is concerned, it's really none of your business is it.? Do you own the internet?? Last time I check you didn't.? Members are given a choice to see what they want, it's called freedom of choice.

Plus, were aren't accountable to anyone.  We don't have site sponsors or GM sponsorship and my wife doesn't work for a Chevy Dealer.  Your site has to be the way it is so don't compare.

Lastly, I'm not sure why the 'leadership' of Norcal sent me an email asking to be a member of my site and another signed up as someone they were not.? The content must be good enough for them to be curious about it.

I would stick to the thread topic if you can and don't compare apples to oranges.? Re-read ICHNGE's response about what makes a good local chapter.? It's lessons learned.

I do appreciate the recent feedback on this topic of local chapters! >:D

It is interesting to see such passion and emotion from members. The problem I have in Virginia is the lack of passion! :B: (not mine personally  :love: >:D)
I set up a buddy list of about 35 -40 Virginia members and send out multiple PMs as well as public threads asking for ideas and encourage the Virginia members to talk up the events to create enthusiasm. Out of that many I get maybe 7 or 8 replies and maybe 5 or 6 show up to the meetings or GTGs.Sometimes no one shows up.
I remind them that it's not a one person operation and the local will only be as fun or active as they choose it to be. Based on results they do not want a very active local. :(
I will gladly support anyone with their efforts to set up meetings or GTGs but I have other family issues to deal with and will not be the organizer for a group that by results does not wish to be organized. I do care about the people I have met in person or on line and wish them well and would like to see them again or meet them for the first time.

Back