• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

tire pressure monitor (TPM) reset after rotation

wankerwayne

Just rotated my tires the 2004 Z-66 and cannot get the TPM system to activate per the owners manuel.? I do not even get the light/symbol to come on when you first turn the key.? Any help with this? Do I even have it as the manuel states?? ??

Service VME - 2004-2005 Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac Full Size Utilities with Tire Pressure Monitoring Low Tire Pressure Light Illuminated on Instrument Cluster - keywords aftermarket DIC C0750 C0755 C0760 #PIT3501 - (Mar 17, 2005)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

SERVICE VME

Starting with the 2004 Model Year, 1500 Utilities are now equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM).

The system consist of
  ? Four Sensors, one for each wheel
  ? Passenger Door Module (PDM)
  ? Instrument Panel Cluster or Driver Information Center Message

Each sensor sends a unique RF signal to the PDM to indicate the tire pressure. The PDM receives the signals and coverts them to pressure data. This data is sent to the Driver Information Center on the Class 2 network. If any tire is more that 25% below the vehicle's recommended tire pressure, the driver will receive notification to "Service Tire Monitor" either on the Instrument Panel Cluster or the Driver Information Center. This message will stay active until the correct diagnosis is performed and the system re-calibrated. This message cannot be disabled due to FMVSS 138. Aftermarket wheels installed without the sensors will activate the "Service Tire Monitor" warning and will stay on until the sensors are installed. Tire pressure sensor calibration is required or the system will not function correctly. This Tire Pressure Sensor Learn procedure is in SI Document # 1311203. A new tool for the automatic calibration procedure is being developed and you will be notified when it is available.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Models:

(2004-2005 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT) and (2004-2005 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche) and (2004-2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL)

Document #1311203​

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Tools

J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool.

TPM Learn Mode Description

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the passenger door module (PDM), body control module (BCM), exterior lamp switch, park brake switch, 4 radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after the PDM is replaced, a sensor is replaced, or a tire rotation. Once the TPM learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (Id) codes can be learned into the PDM's memory. When a sensor's Id has been learned, the PDM sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it's Id and the PDM has received and learned it. The PDM must learn the sensors Id codes in the proper sequence in order to determine sensor location. The first learned Id is assigned to left front, the second to right front, the third to right rear and fourth to left rear.

Sensor Function Using the Pressure Increase/Decrease method

Each sensor takes a pressure measurement sample once every 20 seconds while in stationary mode. If the tire pressure increases, or decreases by more than 11 kPa (1.6 psi) from the last pressure measurement, another measurement will occur immediately to verify the change in pressure. If a pressure change has indeed occurred, the sensor transmits re-measure mode transmission. When the PDM receives a re-measure mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor Id to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Sensor Functions using J-46079

Each sensor has an internal low frequency (LF) coil. When J-46079 is used in activate mode it produces an LF transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an LF activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the PDM receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's Id to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

TPM Learn Mode Cancellation

The PDM will cancel the learn mode if more then 2 minutes have passed and no sensors have been learned, or if the PDM has been in learn mode for more than 5 minutes. If the learn mode is canceled before any sensor has been learned, the PDM will remember all current sensor Ids and their locations. As soon as the fist sensor Id code is learned, all other Ids are erased from the PDM's memory.

Important: Before proceeding with the steps below, ensure that no other sensor learn procedure is being performed simultaneously, or that tire pressures are not being adjusted on a TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Apply the parking brake.

Important: If the TPM learn mode cannot be enabled, ensure the TPM system is enabled in the PDM. Refer to Control Module Setup .

3. Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A double horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the TPM learn mode has been enabled.

Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.

4. Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
  5. After the horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:

1. Right front
        2. Right rear
        3. Left rear

6. After all sensors have been learned, exit the learn mode by turning OFF the ignition.
  7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi.

Hmmm, something tells me the dealers have this racket when it's tire rotation time!

Note: "PDM" is the passenger door module. The same one that receives the key FOB.

Sperry...check me on this...but I don't believe any Av has the system as of yet. I believe it was planned and not implimented. I forgot when is was supposed to be available, but it will be soon.

edit...A quick scan of RPO for the 2004 shows "UJ6" as the TPM. I guess I stand corrected. He should check his glove box label to see if his truck is equipped with them.

AVid

I would imagine that looking at the tire stems, and running that test cancel or setup? mode will answer that.. for the most part..

So, 04 owners, try that exterior lamp switch trick in my previous post..

Or deflate a tire more than 25% (Careful!!)

I wouldn't see why the Av wouldn't have it in 04, my friend's 03 Monte Carlo has it.

Interesting...

More stuff (and the above) HERE

Back