• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MAAP SS Tubular Side Steps

Lieutenant5

Before I picked up my AV from the dealer, I specified that I wanted stainless tubular side steps installed. This particular dealership outsources these types of jobs to a shop just down the road from the dealership. The installed the MAAP side steps on the vehicle. They look great and they help a lot with getting in and out of the truck. However, I am now noticing some rust appearing around the black plastic step pads on the steps. Since it is stainless steel, I know it can't be the steps themselves rusting. Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the rust and how I can fix it?

i used to work for a truck accessory store, i sold lots of those bars from maap,also steelhorse. its the clips that hold the pads to the bar, thay are not ss. any rust that you see you should be able to just polish off. we used wizards metal polish, looks like cotten candy in a can but works great! if you REALY want, you could get a new set of clips from anyplace that sells mapp, buy a can of spray on bedliner, and spray the clips b4 install.

otherwise, just polish them every so often. i have the same bars on my av

:cool:

Lieutenant5 said:
?Since it is stainless steel, I know it can't be the steps themselves rusting. ?Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the rust and how I can fix it? ?

Oh, yes it can!

The corrosion resistance of stainless steel is based on the formation of a very thin passive layer on its surface. Corrosion occurs when this passive layer is destroyed.

People believe that Stainless Steel is rust proof. Not so. It is rust resistant. All you have to do it damage the surface and rust will begin. Even if not damaged, it will eventually wear away and rust will begin.

When I get a free weekend, I think I'll take the Av back to the place that installed the steps and talk to them about it. Hopefully, they will be able to help me out a bit and keep me from doing any unnecessary additional maintenance to my Av. It's black, so I'm going to be busy enough as it is trying to keep it looking nice.

Thanks for your help. If there are any other suggestions, please continue to post here.

Back