• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

A Couple Of Problems Fixed

Wiki

Hey guys and gals,

Im new to the forum and have used it to try to get myself a little more aquainted with my new AV. I have however discovered 2 problems with my AV that I thought I would share with the group. It has taken me and my dealership 2 weeks to find and fix so bear with me. Hopefully this info will be useful to someone else.

The first is a terrible vibration comming from the passengers side dash at 2000 to 2100 rpm's when vehicle is under a load...ie going up a hill or towing. This was nearly impossible to find. After taking apart the entire vehicle (not really) we found the A/C housing (black ductwork) was vibrating and the sound was comming up through the duct work. Simple solution...take dash apart remove black ductwork and insulate with a sound dampening material.

The next problem was a power steering noise, harmonic vibration, or flutter that happened when changing from 1st to reverse or reverse to 1st and turning the wheel. Very intermitent (sp) but still a pain in the Tush. Solution... replace the steering gear, or sometimes called the steering box. This box has a presure regulator that was bad causing the lines to vibrate. Hence the annoying noise.

I won't even mention my water leak since there is enough info out there about this. But yes, I had a waterfall in the midgate area of my AV.

Hope this info helps someone else. I spent many a sleepless night working with my Chevy dealership trying to fix it.

Wiki said:
The first is a terrible vibration comming from the passengers side dash at 2000 to 2100 rpm's when vehicle is under a load...ie going up a hill or towing. ?This was nearly impossible to find. ?After taking apart the entire vehicle (not really) we found the A/C housing (black ductwork) was vibrating and ?the sound was comming up through the duct work. ?Simple solution...take dash apart remove black ductwork and insulate with a sound dampening material.

There was a TSB for this problem rolling around somewhere - the cure you described is the right one - the TSB was like 4 pages of instructions. ;D

Wiki, thanks for the info. Its people like yourself sharing their experiences that help make this a great website. I haven't had any problems with my AV but with the wealth of first-hand knowledge posted on this board, I am made aware of possible problem-areas.
From what has been posted here, it appears dealership service departments across the country would benefit from reading our forum. If they benefit, then other AV owners would also benefit.

I've heard that steering box noise a few times since I've had my AV, since 4/2/02, brought it to the attention of the dealer and they found no problem,let it be known the dealership I am dealing with is worthless.But today I noticed a metal to metal sound when turning the wheel to the driver side so I dropped it off this evening and I did mention the steering box sound again.It sounds like the samething.I printing WIKI's steering fix and reading it to them tomorrow cause I know they won't find anything wrong.Will advise.
Still the best vehicle I've driven. (y)

Back