• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

3 Questions

hbrenner

SM 2003
I have 3 (simple, I think) questions for now. I may have more later this week as I get back to the dealer for some issue resolution.

1. I know ABS is noisy and grinding, but is the AV excessivly noisy?

2. I have had 4x4 vehicles of some sort (all trucks or SUVs) since 1998, I realize that hard full turns can be difficult especially on dry pavement (not recommended at all), however in the AV, in about 6" of snow I had a bit*h of a time reversing, the feeling was the same feeling as if making a hard turn on dry pavement with 4x4 on. Any Suggestions or light to shinnedupon this topic?

3. (2 part) Rear View mirror...
a. what is the hole/sensor on the back side (facing the front of the truck) and should it be unblocked by parking tags etc?
b. I am not stupid but what and why does the temp guage say ice when it is cold (sometimes above freezing +1 or2)?

Thanks, if the answers exist elsewhere a pointer would be appreciated, otherwise I look forward to hearing some thoughts.

I can answer the ice one.... it warns you that the conditions exist that there might be patches of ice on the road, even if the temp on yours says 33 or 34, it might be frozen on bridges and overpasses, it'll do it when you first start up your Av, and only when the temp is below 36 I believe... ?:B:

I'll take a stab at a couple here....

1. I know ABS is noisy and grinding, but is the AV excessivly noisy?

2. I have had 4x4 vehicles of some sort (all trucks or SUVs) since 1998, I realize that hard full turns can be difficult especially on dry pavement...

Are we talking about breaks or the locking diff?

3. (2 part) Rear View mirror...
a. I thought that the mirror sensor was for the autodimming feature of the mirror and side mirror.

b. I think that it is more of an attempt to catch your attention as it flashes back and forth between the temp and "ice". You may have driven from an area that was up into the mid 40's or 50's and find your self up in the mountains where the temp has dropped to near freezing. I think I have seen it flash the message at around 36-37 degrees. Maybe becasue with a little wind chill or in shady spots we could be talking contact ice.

Moo cow thanks, thats what I thought (probably in the manula somewhere, but I got tired of reading that Federal mandated stuff about how to drive). Anyway thanks very much. The weird thing is it is usually only displayed around startup and thats it.

Later.

Kevin (or Gimley)

I am asking about the breaks ABS noise when they engage. The 4x is a different question. As far as the sensor goes, I would have assumed that but the dimming mirrors are for lights behind you and that sensor is on the front face of the mirrror, nect to the temp or compass buttons. nothing wrong here I am just curoius.

Howard

You should not be hearing the anti-lock brakes unless it is an emergency type stop (sudden, etc.) GM vehicles tend to sound like my growling stomach when I haven't eaten and the pedal will vibrate...I have not heard my anti lock brakes engage since I have had my Av (June 02) :B:

I understand that and basically Xmas day in the Baltimore Area, we had a pretty large snow and I did have an occasion or 2 that day for the Anti-Lock to engage. And what I heard thenis normal the way you have described (although, I have never heard your stomach, I can only imagine). Thanks again
Howard

HOWARD DON'T FEEL STUPID, ANY QUESTION IS A GOOD QUESTION. (y)I WAS FEELING THE SAME WAY AS YOU DID BUT I'LL ASK MY QUESTION TOO. WHERE DO YOU FIND THE BORN ON DATE OF YOUR AV. I KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT ON MY BOTTLE OF BUDWISER ;D ;DBUT NOT ON MY AV. CAN ANYONE HELP? :B: :C: :D:

RONALDFS said:
HOWARD DON'T FEEL STUPID, ANY QUESTION IS A GOOD QUESTION. (y)I WAS FEELING THE SAME WAY AS YOU DID BUT I'LL ASK MY QUESTION TOO. ?WHERE DO YOU FIND THE BORN ON DATE OF YOUR AV. I KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT ON MY BOTTLE OF BUDWISER ?;D ;DBUT NOT ON MY AV. ?CAN ANYONE HELP? :B: :C: :D:

You can find this date on the sticker on the drivers side door...... ;D

I have never heard any brake noise in mine....

Howard Brenner said:
As far as the sensor goes, I would have assumed that but the dimming mirrors are for lights behind you and that sensor is on the front face of the mirrror, nect to the temp or compass buttons. ?nothing wrong here I am just curoius.

Howard

The sensor on the front of the mirror sense the ambient light level. ?The sensor on the rear of the mirror senses the light level from the vehicle behind you. ?That way it won't dim the mirror during the day or in an area that is well lit at night.

Most answers to your questions are in the Online Owners Manual. I highly recommend spending some time with your Av and the manual to familiarize yourself with all of it's features. ?There are some features that you won't take full advantage of or have a complete understanding of without help from the manual.

SJP

Back